Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc

Updated April 21, 2014
Updated April 21, 2014

4.3

Kirk Donald

Challenging opportunities and great benefits!

I have been working at Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

SPA has a great benefits plan that includes medical, dental, vision and 401K. The 401K plan is the best in the market. SPA makes contributions from day 1 of your employment without you contributing anything. The medical benefits are better than many other companies, however, there is a steep premium for those with families on the plan. Another good benefit provided is education reimbursement.
    SPA offers many opportunities to be involved in challenging work that impacts important decision-makers in the government and military.

Cons

The greatest challenge to working in this environment is how much former military are valued over other employees. It makes it very difficult to stand out from the crowd. Another difficulty is flexibility in work hours. First of all, you have to work 8.5 hour days. That extra .5 hour means more traffic to deal with in the afternoon. Second, telecommuting a day or two out of the week is not an option. A lot of work doesn't need to be completed in the office, and this added flexibility to the work week would be a huge added benefit. It would
    I think training leaves much to be desired. Outside of the tuition reimbursement, there isn't many other options for continuing education. Sending staff to external training courses that reinforce their current tasking just makes sense. It shows the employee that you want them to excel and you are interested in their professional development and personal growth.

My experience at SPA has been overwhelmingly positive.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It would be hard to find another company that values employees the way that SPA does, and shows it in tangible ways -- a generous 401K contribution (regardless of whether you contribute personally), solid health and dental plans, and the flexibility to make your life work.

Cons

The decline in federal budgets has stressed government contractors, including SPA, and caused angst among employees. The political and budget forecast ahead predicts more of the same.

Continue to communicate with employees.

Great First Job

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing benefits. Each employee gets their own office. Automatic 10% 401K contributions. Experienced and professional staff. Flexible work schedules. Contracts involve interesting and exciting work.

Cons

8.5 Hour work days. Upper management provides little to know feedback on the direction the company is taking.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A fantastic company that seems to be spinning its wheels

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Great work environment and compensation
    Produces incredible analytical products that lead the industry. Highly recommended if you have a contract to go work on.

Cons

Management does not communicate with its workers about the direction the company is taking. This results in a situation where it is bleeding its talent. Work depends on contracts.

Management needs to look further down road at the curves in the road. No forward looking perspectives and failure to get out of the box is going to put it in the ditch. The new CEO needs to really step up to the plate and instill confidence.

One of the finest companies I've worked for

I have been working at Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc full-time for more than a year

Pros

I joined SPA after leaving the Army. It was my first private sector company. I left after two years because I wanted to leave defense and get more into the Internet/software mainstream. Since then, I've worked for 6 companies plus my own startup venture. I must say that SPA is arguably the best run company I've worked for. I credit the founder, Phil Lantz,for that.

Cons

If you are not retired military, I think your mobility within the company is ultimately limited. Also, they aren't very diversified business wise, they really just focus on military operations research analysis. If you're in that field, great. If you are in an adjacent field like software development, you'll hit a glass ceiling pretty quick.

Phil should pick his successor very carefully. Otherwise, without his force of personality,the company could decline rapidly after he retires.

Summer Internship: SPA Will Put You to Work. Amazing Experience!

Former Employee - Intern  in  Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Intern in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc as an intern

Pros

- The sky is the limit. Each day can be a true challenge where you learn marketable skills.
    - Not treated as an intern. You will be taken into the fold of the team. Your opinion will matter.
    - You will work alongside experts who have experience at the forefront of the United States' most difficult national security challenges.
    - One of the few paid internships in DC.
    - Senior Management is fully engaged and are likely to attend briefings and be fully spun up on projects.

Cons

- Immense amount of information that must be digested to have a general idea of technical concepts.
    - For those not familiar with military language, jargon will be a barrier. However, this can easily be overcome as everyone is extremely helpful.

Implement milestones through the term. Encourage cross departmental awareness training for interns to get a general understanding of SPA's many areas of expertise.

Intern

I worked at Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc

Pros

Good work, nice people, flexible hours

Cons

Professional dress code, no meet and greets with other interns

Small Company delivering big results.

Current Employee - Military Operations Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Military Operations Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Competitive Salaries
    Great benefits
    Intelligent Co-workers
    Doing interesting important work
    Ethical Leadership
    Great Customer Relationship

Cons

Promotion challenging because of practice of hiring senior military to leadership positions
    Dependent on Federal Government for contracts
    Quickly go part time if Federal Contracts go away

Phil is a great leader, who really does his best to do right by his employees. How many companies still put on an annual Holiday party and company picnic in this environment. I agree with others when they say he just really needs to keep doing what he's been doing for the past 35 years.

Great internship experience!

Former Employee - Intern  in  Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Intern in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Excellent company, especially the corporate ethos. Everyone was willing to help guide me through my tasks. Proactive and supportive people, truly a pleasure to work with. Worked on engaging projects which always felt meaningful.

Cons

Full formal business attire even in stifling DC heat, major tech hurdles at times.

Keep it up!

Good Company Benefits, But...

I have been working at Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc

Pros

This company is an outstanding place to start a career in Defense. The benefits are excellent. In fact, few companies compare. Fresh out of college, it makes good sense for a young engineer, IT professional, analyst, etc. to cut their teeth. It's not even a bad place for a mid-level professional. But be prepared for antiquated ways of thinking where management philosophies and overall leadership is concerned. There are really two employment rankings there; the average paid (and not by Industry standards, either), and the very handsomely paid vice presidents, or division leads. There really is not much "in-between." The highly paid have either been there for a ga-zillion years demonstrating their undying loyalty to the CEO, Phil Lantz, thereby earning those big bucks, or are well-respected former military retirees (double-dippers). More times than not, these are individuals who are not progressive thinkers where modern management/leadership concepts are concerned and who know how to communicate effectively and get the most from their employees. That said, career advancement takes a back seat. So, do a couple or even three years and enjoy those perks and good benefits. Just don't get too used to it, as you won't find many places with your own office space outside SPA. But you will find other places that will land you better salaries, give you more experience, and help you grow professionally.

Cons

No career advancement. Not a clear "way forward" for the organization in terms of its future goals and aspirations.

If the CEO, Mr. Lantz engages himself more, he may find through communicating more with his staff where his rock stars really are. May need some good strategic planners onboard as well.

Worked for Systems Planning and Analysis, Inc? Contribute to the Community!