T.G.I. Friday's

T.G.I. Friday's Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

T.G.I. Friday's President & CEO Nick Shepherd

Nick Shepherd

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, great co-workers, fun lively environment(in 23 reviews)

• I needed a job with flexible hours while in school(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, not knowing when exactly you'd get out(in 14 reviews)

• I worked long late hours all the time(in 5 reviews)

Everything

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat job to get your foot in the door for serving, good experience, good friendships with other employees and some customers

ConsChallenging, calls out a lot in the summer

Advice to Senior ManagementSchedule your employees better, find a better time to let them go, actually tell an employee when they do something wrong, and don't beat around the bush

2008-2011 were fantastic, however late 2012 was miserable.

Busser/Host/Server (Former Employee) Valparaiso, IN

ProsIt was a really fun atmosphere with genuinely caring management. However, in 2012 it was heavily changed by upper management.

ConsNew rules and ridiculous hours were implemented quickly, and it made for very unhappy employees and middle management.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet employees get a feel for customers and give them the freedom to give personality to guest experience.

Waitress

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood group, manager was accommodating to work/school schedule

ConsLots of time on your feet, very busy,

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

fridays is fun

Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) Union City, CA

Prosfridays is a fun place to work, meet losts of people and make new friends.

Conswhen its really busy the customers can be really challenging

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

Min. payed job as a server. However, the tips were better than anywhere.

Student (Former Employee) Santa Barbara, CA

ProsTips, good food, 50% discount, good training program, good atmosphere, good looking people

ConsNo breaks or lunch, very busy

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

No real complains.

Server (Current Employee) Garland, TX

ProsIt's really chill, laid back, People and managers are always trying to help you out. You're encouraged to be social and be personable with guests, make them and yourself enjoy the overall experience and have a good time.
    Personal growth is definitely possible. I went from working as a busser to a host then to a sever then to cocktail server all in about two years time. My GM is the best manager out there, he's always willing to help and gets you through some of the worst situations.

ConsDrama, gossip, sometimes when corporate comes around and sticks their noses in the business. New menu updates are pretty annoying they happen a couple times a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementLack of support from certain managers really takes away from the overall enjoyable experience.

It was dishonest, shady and very unhappy as a place to wrok

General Manager (Current Employee) East Hanover, NJ

Prosmoney was good for a beginner

Consupper management was only concerned with profit. nothing else. My supervisor was promoted based upon the fact that he trained the staff to manipulate survey results

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees

Depends on franchise if it is a good place to work or not

Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) Champaign, IL

ProsA great company if they still give the employee discount that I used to get. The food is always good if the store follows recipes. The decent franchises make the work environment fun for there employees, so no one dreads going into work.

ConsPlan on working most weekends, especially if you are in management. I had to miss multiple weddings & family events during my 15 years working for this company. You are under constant pressure of inspections, not only by the local health department, but by Ecosure, which is required by the corporate offices. I understand the importance of cleanliness, but they go way overboard with it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your managers personal lives in your mind. Let them have a weekend off a month or something. If management is happy, it filters down to the entire staff.

Far too much pressure to be a server!

Server (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsTeamwork (depending on which store/area you work at), growing menu/ fresh menu items, vacation time

ConsIt's a big corporation so all they care about is driving sales. We have a new daily, weekly, monthly contest every few days and it's almost impossible to keep track of what contest they're focusing most on, especially when there are 4 contests being run all at once. They are very forceful about having a high PPA, upselling, alcohol sales, and guest surveys, to the point of we are threatened to be demoted to host if we don't sell enough alcohol, have a high PPA, and consistently receive good survey results. And it is stupid how anything that is considered "positive" on the survey is 9 or 10. We're consistently written up for receiving an 8 or 7 on a survey, even when the guest believes that is a good rating and has nothing but good to say about us. The list of "non-negotiable brand standards" that we are required to perform at each table absolutely ridiculous, almost impossible to execute, and annoying to the guests! It takes about 3 minutes to "properly" greet our tables and another 5 minutes total throughout the rest of the dining experience to upsell, ask a million questions, and upsell even more. The managers do not communicate with one another and each one cares about something different, and most of them do not agree on how to handle coupons, guest complaints, upcharging, etc. The cooks generally do not care about their jobs, and each cook makes each dish differently, so the guest never gets consistent food quality, recipe, ingredients, and especially portion sizes. Same goes with bar drinks, every bartender makes every drink differently and the guests never know what to expect. Management does not pay attention to who works on which holidays, so the good workers usually end up working every holiday while others get almost every single one off. I worked 4 out of 5 holidays so far this year and when I asked if I could have the next one off, the manager was not sure...how fair is that when most of my coworkers have only worked 1 or 2 so far and will also have the next few off?!

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication among each other, and, please, sit down and discuss main issues and agree on how to handle them so we're not given a different answer each time we ask.

TGI Fridays is changing

Beverage Manager (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsCan be a fun work experience depending on the store and the gm. Easy to be a manager when it comes to money handling and pos systems. Back office is pretty easy too.

ConsExpect too much to be able to earn a bonus. Base scores from surveys on how the restaurant is doing. Late hours. Open on all holidays. 55 to 60 hours a week. Good pay but tiring.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuality of life is a deciding factor on whether managers will stay for the long haul. Let them have a life that doesn't surround the restaurant.

Worked for T.G.I. Friday's? Contribute to the Community!