T.G.I. Friday's Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
T.G.I. Friday's President & CEO Nick Shepherd
Nick Shepherd

Pros
  • It was a great way to work through college and make decent money with a flexible schedule (in 26 reviews)

• The company prioritizes the importance of having a fun environment for both the guests and the employees (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, not knowing when exactly you'd get out (in 18 reviews)

• the late hours of the business 2AM closing time is sometimes a strain and you end up with turnover because it's not for everyone (in 6 reviews)

1. Host

Current Employee - Host/Trainer in Hattiesburg, MS
    Current Employee - Host/Trainer in Hattiesburg, MS

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team as a whole was very professional and knew how to make the guests happy. They were also very down to earth.

Cons

The staff could have been bigger, but being in a college city people are bound to come and go.

Advice to Management

Focus on hiring more staff.

2. Host

Current Employee - Host in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Host in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When you see people in a restaurant who actually are being kind to the wait staff, don't assume they're just naturally good people. They're not. They are either currently or previously employed restaurant workers. Nobody understands forgetting an iced tea, dropping the dinner rolls, or taking 15 minutes to bring extra napkins except those who've been in those trenches. After working at a restaurant for even a short time, you'll have a newfound respect for your fellow humans. You'll no longer wonder why the gal at the drive through can't manage to understand, "no cheese," and you won't be impatient when the new cashier doesn't know how the cash register works. You'll be patient, and you'll be respectful for what it takes to learn a job that everyone thinks is a no-brainer, but is actually as complicated as working a Rubik's cube while juggling flaming batons and changing a baby's diaper, all at the same time.

Cons

When was the last time you have researched market trends in your area or did a comprehensive market study and write-up for your restaurant? Have you ever? If not, you are not alone. Failure to establish that there is a market for your restaurant and the failure to stay abreast of market trends, are two of the most tragic mistakes a restaurant owner can make, especially because these mistakes can easily be avoided. Even something as simple as a stop and greet survey on the street can establish consumer likes and dislikes, perceptions, needs and demands. Before opening their restaurant’s doors, restaurant owners should establish a demand for their cuisine or service, and an ability to capture a market share. Once those doors have opened, restaurant owners should analyze the direction of consumer demand and make changes and adjustments accordingly. Without a fact-based knowledge of the market, an informed decision is not possible.

Advice to Management

Good managers are the most underrated people on the planet. At a restaurant, this is easy to observe. A bad manager drives away the best employees, alienates the customers, and assuring that the quality of food deteriorates to that of a first grader's school lunch left on the bus during summer vacation. The good manager does the exact opposite: luring the best workers and motivating them to do even better. Managing to please (most of) the customers without hanging their staff members out to dry. They help build an environment where the chef can do his best work, raising the quality of the food and drink offerings ever higher. Restaurants can instill all the values of respect, teamwork, and good management skills as the military, only without all the danger. These skills are valuable wherever you go and whatever you do the rest of your life. Serve on!

3. Not the best work environment

Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Riverhead, NY
    Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Riverhead, NY

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff at the same pay level as you are nice

Cons

Management is poor at the restaurant level

Advice to Management

treat your employees with respect please

5. Fridays Review

Current Employee - Bus Boy/Host
    Current Employee - Bus Boy/Host

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's

Pros

Good place to work, the people there are great and always looking to make the restaurant better

Cons

Sometimes employees and managers seem to belittle people instead of helping them

6. Company Has Potential

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's

Pros

Opportunities for growth, can work independently

Cons

Poor management; wont let the great servers develop and train the staff especially the hosts

Advice to Management

Need to develop staff and let the strong leaders lead

7. Not a terrible restaurant to work for, but far from the best.

Current Employee - Server/Bartender
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you work hard enough, you can move up quickly. Relatively large sections for a chain bar/restaurant. Fast-paced environment, work autonomously, free to express personality through your service, mostly fun coworkers.

Cons

Can be really understaffed. No barbacks, bussers, or food runners. Lacking support from owners/management at times. Left on an island a little too frequently on some busy periods. Guests can be overly needy and cheap, which is to be expected at this sort of restaurant.

Advice to Management

Barbacks/foodrunners/bussers would be nice, or more capable hosts able to fill those roles. Better ownership was needed at my location.

8. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's full-time

Pros

Culture is very good, management is good and cares about their direct reports

Cons

Some deadlines are unrealistic. A lot of changes going on since we have been sold

Advice to Management

Take the Situational Leadership Training, and then use it. It is a great program and very effective.

9. Great Experience, Little Growth Opportunities

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's full-time

Pros

Excellent training available, great networking

Cons

Growth within the company is far too political but the opportunity is there

Advice to Management

Understand and be able to perform every job within the restaurant

10. Good Luck

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's

Pros

A fun almost family like setting. It used to be a great team work environment but that was years ago.

Cons

The managers need more cross training so they can actually help. Training has gone down hill over the years

Advice to Management

Do the job you are being paid to do.

11. Culinary Manager

Former Employee - Culinary Manager in Horsham, PA
    Former Employee - Culinary Manager in Horsham, PA

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Annual Pay was pretty good to start and the benefit of the Black Card for unlimited food purchase

Cons

Lack of communication. Hours were very long. Stability in management and the benefits were not so good.

RSS Feed </> Embed