T.G.I. Friday's Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
2.9

T.G.I. Friday's President & CEO Nick Shepherd
Nick Shepherd

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, great co-workers, fun lively environment (in 24 reviews)

• I needed a job with flexible hours while in school (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours depending upon position but worth the money (in 16 reviews)

• I worked long late hours all the time (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

amazing!

Former Employee - Waitress in Tarrytown, NY
    Former Employee - Waitress in Tarrytown, NY

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

best team members ever is the best

Cons

the commute was horrible because i live in yonkers so it was an hour

keep doing a good job

okay.

Current Employee - Server in Old Bridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Server in Old Bridge, NJ

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easier to learn the menu and practically no side work

Cons

not always the busiest but can be busy at times

learn how to work with your servers better.

STAY TRUE TO YOURSELF AND YOU'LL BE FINE

Current Employee - Waitress in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Waitress in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's perfect people right out of high school or college.
    Fast money
    Fast pace environment
    A lot of fun and there's always something to do
    It's never a dull moment and you get to meet a lot of cool people
    Everyone helps each other out and work together as a team

Cons

If you allow yourself to feed into the pettiness you won't last a week.
    It's a lot of running around like a chicken with it's head chopped off
    There's a lot of back stage drama
    It isn't as bad as you think just stay out of gossip and you'll be fine

All of the managers are really cool and really helpful

Lead Hostess

Former Employee - Hostess in East Point, GA
    Former Employee - Hostess in East Point, GA

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get a daily tip out and control the flow of the restaurant. Also got to keep tips I made working to-go.

Cons

I was paid less than minimum wage as a hostess due to the nightly tip out. Upon hiring manager said pay would average to about $12. That wan't nearly the case

It's an ok place to work.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I only worked there for a year, and got promoted to supervisor ( key hourly). Cool people, laid back environment, and most days good money.

Cons

I been waiting to be promoted to manager for over a year now. I'm constantly asked to go above and beyond what salary managers do. They keep feeding me empty promises, about being promoted, but keep hiring new managers, very frustrating.

Care more, and sit in the office less

Awesome coworkers, terrible customers!!! For someone relying on tips, you can make more money elsewhere if you choose th

Former Employee - Server in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Server in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They are willing to train you and have excellent training programs. They are very accommodating to your schedule as well.

Cons

Be careful which one you pick based on the area around it. You could either have the time of your life or a nightmare. Ours was close to several retirement homes... I learned to fear the bus drop off.

Be a little more upfront with employees about what they are really getting into.

Restaurant Manager

Current Employee - Kitchen Manager
    Current Employee - Kitchen Manager

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's full-time

Pros

It can feel like you are working with a family within your team. Vacation and insurance is decent.

Cons

Interview and hiring process took about two months even though location was already in need of a manager. Paid for working 55 hrs per week although usually average 65+. Early mornings, late nights, and many holidays.

Communication starting from the top and working down could use improvement.

not bad

Current Employee - Server in Huntington, NY
    Current Employee - Server in Huntington, NY

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

very friendly group of people to work with, offered many chances to stay late and makes some extra cash, all you have to do is ask.

Cons

policy keep changing and not always for the better. money is not a sure thing cause of their cheap deals customers are offered, they buy a cheap item then leave a 5 dollar tip, then sit at the table for a few hours. Management just follows orders but they are always on edge cause corporate could come in any minute.

Okay could be better

Current Employee - Server TGI Friday's in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Server TGI Friday's in Richmond, VA

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The tips, fun energetic place to be.

Cons

Management just does not know how to be managers. DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA!!!!!!! I would never work at a place full of females. To much estrogen going through the store. This place needs new managers new servers. I've been here for 3 months and only liked two weeks of it. The pay is horrible, I have no clue how a two parent house can survive off of $2.13/hr I just started serving so I go home with maybe $20 a night. The food is entirely to greasy I can literally take my burger and squeeze at least two oz of grease out of it. THE ENDLESS APPETIZERS NEEDS TO END!!!!!!!

Get better management and maybe people would actually start liking their job.

Sometimes hostile environment, FOH ran by servers, not management

Current Employee - Server in Newington, CT
    Current Employee - Server in Newington, CT

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The management is down to earth and easy to talk to, they also handle customer concerns very well, and will never leave you hanging with an irate customer.

Cons

The management doesn't run the front of the house, the servers and bartenders do, and with that separation comes a sometimes hostile work environment. The veteran servers run the show and get off from barking out side work commands throughout the shift, which is actually the most passive aggressive and ineffective approach to getting running side work done. Newer servers that get cut first, get the most side work, the select closing servers give themselves minimal to no side work, and instead of putting in an effort to help out with the work that needs to be done throughout a shift, they shout out their commands. Instead of the management implementing a more effective running side work model, this approach is the accepted way to run things.

During the interviews, the management suggests they cut based on performance, not seniority. With the absence of the management in the front of the house to observe newer servers performing well, the same servers always stay the latest, in the best sections of the restaurant, which leaves little money to be made for the newer crew. Upper management in the company are always riding restaurant management to get hours down, so most of the time, even on a busy Saturday, a shift doesn't last longer than three hours on the floor.

During the interview and training process, the management and training servers imply that you will be applauded for your hard work, staying on top of running side work, rolling silverware throughout your shift, and will be rewarded for doing so. There is no acknowledgement for working hard, and clearly no benefits either, the same servers will continue to run the show and stay in the money making sections of the restaurant.

I will note that so much work is left to the servers and it's tough for the restaurant management to involve themselves with the front of the house more because the company doesn't want to spend the money on an expediter, and bussers and runners. Besides the weekends, servers and management fill the shoes of an expediter, and servers also run and bus their tables, and always run other table's plates as well. If the management could focus on being management, and not expediters, things might run more fairly for the front of the house staff. If the servers had a food runner, they could manage more of the running side work.

To restaurant management - consider involving yourself more in the FOH. Observe servers performance, and implement a more effective side work model, that is fair to everyone working.

To company management - consider hiring the positions necessary to run a smooth and successful restaurant.