T.G.I. Friday's

Updated November 23, 2014
2.9

T.G.I. Friday's President & CEO Nick Shepherd
Nick Shepherd

Pros
  • It was a great way to work through college and make decent money with a flexible schedule (in 26 reviews)

• The company prioritizes the importance of having a fun environment for both the guests and the employees (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours depending upon position but worth the money (in 18 reviews)

• I worked long late hours all the time (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Hostess
    Current Employee - Hostess

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly staff. Takes you in quickly. Very fair management staff. Very clear training. Helpful to understand policies and procedures

Cons

I have only worked here for about a week so I don't have any cons yet so far so good. Loving the experience here

Hostessing in full detail after 9 months at this job

Former Employee - Hostess in Lombard, IL
    Former Employee - Hostess in Lombard, IL

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours with long/good length shifts, consistent schedule, good pay for starting job, detailed computer training so all employees learn the same thing, decent benefits, fun co-workers, very LGBT friendly, could usually get time off if requested in advance, fast-paced environment, will train you for bar tending and even becoming a manager if you are willing to stay there for long enough, corporate is very responsive and you are very likely to see the company owner visiting your restaurant to check in occasionally.

Cons

Poor lower-level management- there was literally a manager who hated hosts simply because they were hosts, every manager expected something almost completely different of you so you had to change how you did your job for every shift, managers would give you a hard time and try to make you come in for calling off if you were sick. Food workers should not be allowed to ever come in to work if they are sick, we handle other people's food and this is very hazardous practice.

Had corporate-imposed rules that were not functional for real-life application and would instigate arguments with customers.
    8 AM food test meetings.
    Takes very long time to move up from hosting to serving.

Don't allow shift lead to go on break during rush on weekends if other servers aren't going to cover their section - this makes the hosts look stupid when there are open tables and a half hour wait; make sure all management is on the same page always; make it very clear that no employee who is sick, doctor's note or not, should be on a shift handling food.

No one wants to eat Fridays at 8 am - move the food testing to an evening hour.

Seems COOL to work

Current Employee - Hostess in West Nyack, NY
    Current Employee - Hostess in West Nyack, NY

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly management, get busy, food and drink discounts cash tips

Cons

low hourly pay under staffing

Monitor everything

YIKES

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Richmond, VA

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flex Shifts and food discounts it was close to my home. Bartenders have to rate each other which i think is fair.

Cons

DRAMA a lot of caddyness and cliques. drama if someone got a better schedule than you. Management was poor.

Good work experience for myself.

Former Employee - Host/Food Runner in Bloomingdale, IL
    Former Employee - Host/Food Runner in Bloomingdale, IL

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free food at meetings / food demos, good food, family-like atmosphere, younger crowd for those still in school looking for some part-time cash.

Cons

There are too many meetings mandated by regional managers who you've only met twice...and tests for employees are kind of ridiculous, perhaps make them more fun and not required to attend.

Be a little more caring for your employees who work hard and make sure it doesn't go unnoticed.

Good entry level job with plenty of options to grow with hard work

Current Employee - Hostess in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Hostess in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If there is great communication it works really well. Airport location has high volume so you meet lots of people and business is never really slow so that means you earn an ok paycheck every two weeks. Travelers are also more likely to tip more. Majority of the staff is fun to work with so that makes it a great/fun place to work at.

Cons

If you don't work together this will create a mess. High job turnover in the host/hostess department due to long hours with guests who can sometimes be irritated or annoyed because of airport travel and or delayed flights. Management doesn't do a very great job in scheduling and leaves little time to take care of personal matters. If airplanes/travelers are delayed then you have to stay as well

Lead by example, work on creating an effective host team

Easy work if you care

Former Employee - Waiter in Manalapan, NJ
    Former Employee - Waiter in Manalapan, NJ

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Depending on the shift you work you can make some good money. Regulars rock but some people take complete advantage of the system. The people I worked with made the job (including management).

Cons

The customers. But it is to be expected in any service position.

Some of us were actually trying to make as much money as possible, just need a little more respect toward the hard workers.

Overall, a fun place to work as a student.

Former Employee - Bartender in North Wales, PA
    Former Employee - Bartender in North Wales, PA

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is good for those that need a flexible schedule, they promote a teamwork atmosphere, and they offer a variety of incentive programs and philanthropic programs for those employees in need. Friday's brand standards ensure a consistent experience from location to location.

Cons

Because the company is so focused on brand standards and consistency across the board, sometimes they lose sight of the inherent differences between various locations; what works for one store sometimes doesn't work for others, and the company fails to be flexible in its' processes and procedures between stores. Also, promotion within management can be laborious, sometimes needlessly so. The benefits packages are expensive and sub-par for non-management personnel.

Serving at Fridays

Current Employee - Server in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Server in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was a great way to work through college and make decent money with a flexible schedule. I made 20-30 dollars an hour after tips in peak times.

Cons

Non peak times could net you less than the 20 stated above. You are at the peak of your income if you stay a server.

Host

Former Employee - Host in Westfield, IN
    Former Employee - Host in Westfield, IN

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

great personalities, great benefits and tip services

Cons

leadership is lacking, competition between managers is tense

Do not divide management so many times in one location