T.G.I. Friday's Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
T.G.I. Friday's President & CEO Nick Shepherd
Nick Shepherd

Pros
  • It was a great way to work through college and make decent money with a flexible schedule (in 26 reviews)

• The company prioritizes the importance of having a fun environment for both the guests and the employees (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, not knowing when exactly you'd get out (in 18 reviews)

• the late hours of the business 2AM closing time is sometimes a strain and you end up with turnover because it's not for everyone (in 6 reviews)

1. every guest leaves happy.

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's

Pros

great company to work for. They offer full medical, vision and dental benefits including 2 weeks paid vacation and 401K. There are not many restaurants that you can work for, make a decent amount of money, and also receive full benefits. They offer flexible schedules, and you basically tell them the days you can, or cannot work, and they build your schedule around them. They are very flexible and helpful when you request a day off. If for some reason you have to move, It is very easy to transfer to another T.G.I. Fridays in another town or state. There are over 1000 T.G.I. restaurants, and in almost every state, and 57 countries!

Cons

none, everyone finds different faults with different companies, but this one is pretty decent. Every restaurant has its faults, the only one I can think of is they do not use food runners nor busboys in most of their restaurants, so servers must clean their own tables.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work.

2. Great, Fun Atmosphere

Current Employee - Bartender in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Bartender in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's

Pros

Fun, Relaxine environment, where you are free to joke around with your guests.

Cons

The menu is not very expensive, so gratuity is smaller than other restaurantes

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on your stock. We can't run out of things as often as we do.

3. Fun place. Great people

Former Employee - Server in Laguna Niguel, CA
    Former Employee - Server in Laguna Niguel, CA

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's

Pros

I loved working at Friday's and come to think of it I really do miss them. It is a great place to work. your co-workers are sincerly there to help you and everyone works as a team. After work everyone hangs out and most people are friends outside of the restaurant. My biggest appreciation was the fact that for the people who (like myself,) come to work, put their best foot forward, work as hard as they can, and then just wanna get home to their hunnies as opposed to partying the night away...everyone was so understanding. They didnt look down on me for it and they never ever gave me attitude. Every other place Ive worked at, my coworkers give me attitude after a few times of asking me to tag along and me not accepting the invite. I get the impression they think I am too good to hang out. Far from it, and at fridays they understood that I just wasnt a partier and wanted to get home.Bottom Line: Great place- Great food Great people!

Cons

The birthday situation...My dessert usually melted by the time enough servers could gather around and sing...not cool

Advice to Management

I loved the management team at our location. The only thing I'd say to this Q is to take a better look at the store/ regional managers as far as their demeanor and interaction with servers and BOH employees. I got the impression that they were too busy and anyone that nuisanced them better have a darn good reason

5. It's What You Make of It.

Current Employee - FOH-Hourly in Plymouth, MA
    Current Employee - FOH-Hourly in Plymouth, MA

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's

Pros

Great co-workers, that quickly become friends. There is an atmosphere of mutual support and camaraderie like no other place that I have previously worked. I have worked many shifts at four other Friday's, not including my home store, and they all have the same characteristics. Excellent training and advancement opportunities. This was originally intended to be a fun second job for me, I had never worked in food service before, and by the time my extensive training was completed, I felt very confident in my ability to perform beyond 'well'. My other job / career was lost as the economy tanked and my "fun" job became my real job. I have been doing it for almost two years now and can envision remaining with Friday's for many years to come, by pursuing a path to management, which if you apply yourself, is easier than you may think. Friday's has a very fun vibe; we like it, we work hard at it. The menu is kept fresh, the music is current and definitely not background music, the drinks are free-poured (except at service bar :( ), the uniforms are relaxed, comfortable, customizable (read... flair-able, thank god we don't have suspenders anymore), the people are genuinely friendly (there's always one who may not be 'feeling it' on any given day, but the guest will still be treated well, we are very professional), we laugh, flirt, joke, smile, we have themed nights, events, holidays, bartender flair (bottle flipping) and competitions, we have bells (ding-ding big tip, ding-ding birthday, ding-ding so and so just came in, ding-ding the Pats scored, you get the idea), jukeboxes, video games, contests, and we love run on sentences. Just kidding. Friday's was first and foremost a bar for interesting, fun people to meet, hangout and have a great time. They have done a very good job of balancing bar and restaurant while retaining much of that original Friday's spirit. Benefits; I get very good dental and vision, cheap. The vacation days are eh, not so good. Basically after two years you have earned one full week. Personal and medical leaves are handy, I have not personally used them but have seen them work for others. The passport program is really cool, that, I do plan on using that this winter. One can pick up shifts at other stores around the country, so that you can work while you travel. They have many other benefits that I have not used, but they are there. No company, no place, is perfect. There is always something to pick apart or disagree with, but Friday's truly works hard to be the best, both for its team members and its guests. One final point, as far as restaurants go, I think it is a testament to Friday's (our regional and local managers) and it's employees (my friends and co-workers) that a sizable portion of our 'regulars' are from other restaurants. Whether they are from Chili's, Uno's, Bertuccis, The O.G., Outback, Longhorn, Red Robin, 99 (yep, they all come here) or a local joint, they all seem to appreciate the atmosphere we provide. (and we appreciate them!) It's a good feeling!

Cons

Some really silly rules (too many, really). The uni's are good, but it would be nice to have a couple of choices. Open Christmas Day! Really!?

Advice to Management

The shopping program though mostly necessary, is very unfair! A six year veteran and staunch upholder of Friday's standards is duped by a balding 26 year old, and fired on the spot. That's just wrong! And no way to treat a more than loyal team member! Better and more concise communication from the D.O. down through the dishwasher should be striven for. The GM's should be given more input / freedom on an individual stores operation, to allow for adaptation to the local environment. Many beverage decisions are inexplicable, the APL should be more expansive and local options allowed, i.e., place more bev decision making power in the GM's and Bar Managers.

6. Fun place to work

Former Employee - Server in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Server in Kansas City, MO

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's

Pros

Good solid clientele. Not many skippers. Tips were good when deserved. Management was nice and professional.

Cons

Serving is hard work. Your feet hurt at the end of the day.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work!

7. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Server in Saint Louis Park, MN
    Current Employee - Server in Saint Louis Park, MN

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's

Pros

The mindset of the company is very sound, with very real and attainable goals, and I am very happy to work for them.

Cons

That happy hour specials are only for bar and cocktail servers only! The hard-workers in the dining room deserves it too!!

Advice to Management

In my store, the management are very knowledgeable and allow their employees a somewhat of a respectful "free-reign", to allow them to be who they are. It shows in our productivity and guest satisfaction numbers.

8. Working with Flair

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Cloud, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Cloud, MN

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's

Pros

Practically everyone is promoted from within meaning people start as bussers and hosts and work their way up the ladder. It really humbles the managers and upper management to understand where employees that are in the entry level positions are coming from with their struggles and frustrations.

Cons

You are always "on stage" as they like to say and granted that is a wonderful atmosphere for the guests its hard to accept that sometimes people have bad days.

Advice to Management

You can never spend too much time getting to know more about your employees. It really means a lot and gives even more of their respect back to you!

9. Fridays has always took care of me.

Current Employee - Waitress in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Waitress in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's

Pros

Flexible hours very accommodating promotions are given by merit Health insurance and vacation time are given for full time employees Managers willing to help Customer complaints taken very seriously, company tries to help them find the right food at the expense of discounting I've worked at TgiFridays for over a year now, and I will probably be working here for a couple more. They have been more than flexible and more than helpful with my schedule and my school. The managers in my restaurants have supported me with any decision I have ever made as a server. I was promoted quickly due to constantly moving and building guest rapport. Reading a few of these reviews it occurred to me that most of the reviews are written by people angry with their employer and willing to vent their frustration. I'm here to back up my employer and say that as long as you are following basic serving guidelines, your managers will more than likely understand and back up your decisions and beliefs. They have usually served or managed before: it is not new news to them that a customer is complaining for the sake of free food or that a customer walked in angry. They will know how to handle the situation and make the best of it. In rare occasions it may be that the customer was right and the soothing of the customer happened at the expense of the server. Very very rarely have I seen this. As a coach, I am responsible for training the new employees, teaching classes, shift leading, and showing a positive example to fellow employees. I receive bonuses and incentives. I receive hourly wages not typical of a server's wage of 2.13/hour. I received this after being here, and I believe the company shows value to their employees. These benefits are often overlooked until you have worked in a typical restaurant that didn't offer such benefits.

Cons

It is a very hard serving job to start out with. If you've started waiting tables here and had no prior experience, it is difficult to balance the steps of service with steps of service learned elsewhere. It also has a rigorous training, that can scare or welcome new employees.

10. fun

Current Employee - Line Cook in Pleasantville, NJ
    Current Employee - Line Cook in Pleasantville, NJ

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's

Pros

the management go all the way to help employees to execute the challange of pleasing every customer that enters the door they greet you with a smile and are very polite

Cons

if you dont work as a team and not stay late if needed your hours wont last and your days will become less and less the more hands on by employees the better

Advice to Management

just keep doing what you are doing and you will have a long lasting company in the very competitive restaurant industry

11. Fun, you can be yourself.

Current Employee - Bartender in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Bartender in Bronx, NY

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's

Pros

Good money, Very fun crowd, the management is very respect and considerate. Tunney know the difference between work and personal life.

Cons

The bronx store has a very rough crowd so if your not used to it you will get eaten alive and I'm not exaggerating, people in that area don't know how to tip properly at all, but its so busy you won't care by the time the night is done.

Advice to Management

You can listen to what we have to say more often, we do deal with your guest more than you

RSS Feed </> Embed