T.G.I. Friday's

Updated November 20, 2014
2.9

T.G.I. Friday's President & CEO Nick Shepherd
Nick Shepherd

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, great co-workers, fun lively environment (in 24 reviews)

• Good hours, somewhat flexible hours, great for college studens looking for a part time job (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours depending upon position but worth the money (in 17 reviews)

• I worked long late hours all the time (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Not the best place to be a server

Former Employee - Server in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Server in Tulsa, OK

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers were great! Company is constantly striving to keep up with the latest and greatest drinks & entree's while providing the all time favorite's with consistency. Atmosphere is nostalgic!

Cons

Too much negativity in leadership, there was little promotion of great attitudes and fun atmosphere. There were problems with keeping leadership on premise and 2 manager's were promoted to other locations with pay increase that were not high energy, uplifting manager's. The customer's felt the negativity in the restaurant and you could tell which one's fed off it because they were the one's asking for comp's. The Tips were ok but when you advertise a $7.99 lunch you're going to get a $5.99 customer all day every day.

Consider discussing Golden Rule management styles and keeping a positive attitude towards all employee's and guests. Focus on the pros of what has made TGIFriday's a great place to work and enjoy dinner & drinks!

LOTS of cash

Current Employee - Server in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Server in Towson, MD

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

MONEY, Money , Money, money ,really busy so money

Cons

Guest are RIDICULOUS so just turn and burn

Sometimes hostile environment, FOH ran by servers, not management

Current Employee - Server in Newington, CT
    Current Employee - Server in Newington, CT

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The management is down to earth and easy to talk to, they also handle customer concerns very well, and will never leave you hanging with an irate customer.

Cons

The management doesn't run the front of the house, the servers and bartenders do, and with that separation comes a sometimes hostile work environment. The veteran servers run the show and get off from barking out side work commands throughout the shift, which is actually the most passive aggressive and ineffective approach to getting running side work done. Newer servers that get cut first, get the most side work, the select closing servers give themselves minimal to no side work, and instead of putting in an effort to help out with the work that needs to be done throughout a shift, they shout out their commands. Instead of the management implementing a more effective running side work model, this approach is the accepted way to run things.

During the interviews, the management suggests they cut based on performance, not seniority. With the absence of the management in the front of the house to observe newer servers performing well, the same servers always stay the latest, in the best sections of the restaurant, which leaves little money to be made for the newer crew. Upper management in the company are always riding restaurant management to get hours down, so most of the time, even on a busy Saturday, a shift doesn't last longer than three hours on the floor.

During the interview and training process, the management and training servers imply that you will be applauded for your hard work, staying on top of running side work, rolling silverware throughout your shift, and will be rewarded for doing so. There is no acknowledgement for working hard, and clearly no benefits either, the same servers will continue to run the show and stay in the money making sections of the restaurant.

I will note that so much work is left to the servers and it's tough for the restaurant management to involve themselves with the front of the house more because the company doesn't want to spend the money on an expediter, and bussers and runners. Besides the weekends, servers and management fill the shoes of an expediter, and servers also run and bus their tables, and always run other table's plates as well. If the management could focus on being management, and not expediters, things might run more fairly for the front of the house staff. If the servers had a food runner, they could manage more of the running side work.

To restaurant management - consider involving yourself more in the FOH. Observe servers performance, and implement a more effective side work model, that is fair to everyone working.

To company management - consider hiring the positions necessary to run a smooth and successful restaurant.

Very unpleasant

Current Employee - Waitress in Freehold, NJ
    Current Employee - Waitress in Freehold, NJ

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

the experience of meeting many different types of people and gain a little more experience waiting tables.

Cons

The management is awful. Extremely unproffesional..such as when you ask a question as an employee they act super rude and bothered. There is a manager named trish there that will ask you to clock out to eat(remind you the pay an hour is $2.13). If you fail to do so you will get a write up. Also, chuck the GM is condescending and doesn't really know how to effectively communicate with people neither does Trish. The managers pick favorites and unfortunately I wasn't one of them. The food is mediocre and the place is filthy due to the favorites doing a half job. The place is extremely clique and dramafilled. If you're pretty and nice this is not the environment for you. Route 9 freehold Nj t.g.I Fridays is messed up. Don't work there. To further back my statement up, a lot of other people have threatened to quit, or are quitting. I worked very hard and did my very best while I worked for this company but the last night I worked I was told by the GM I wasn't a team player and I didn't contribute anything to the company. In that instance I knew I worked for a company that didn't value my hard work and considers their employees disposable . horrible company to work for!

learn to better communicate with ALL employees not only the ones who brown nose you all day. Also learn to include everybody and notice everyone's individual accomplishments.

Your GM/managers will make or break your experience

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Westchase, FL
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Westchase, FL

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment to work in. Excellent benefits, health insurance, 401k, tuition reimbursement. Flexibility in schedule if you are a student. Great place to learn how to bartend.

Cons

The leadership will make or break your experience. I worked at two stores. The first store I had a great GM. The second store was hell on earth. Both the GM and bar manager where extremely unprofessional, vengeful poor excuses for managers. There was one manager at the location that was great and a decent human being but was not enough to outweigh the other managers.

My experience at TGI Friday's was fulfilling on numerous levels including professionally and personally.

Former Employee - Server in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Server in Erie, PA

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

TGI Friday's is a fun work environment that encourages its employees to exhibit their unique personality.

Cons

Other team members do not work up to established standards.

Regularly observe and evaluate employee's performance based on set standards. Provide regular feedback.

Everyday is Friday

Current Employee - Hostess in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Hostess in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Located a few miles away from Legoland, which calls for a great volume of guests with children and tourist during the summer.

Cons

Staff support is poor, but on the rise.

Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Bartender in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Bartender in Miami, FL

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can make good money depending on what position you have.

Cons

Long hours depending upon position but worth the money.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Hostess in Normal, IL
    Former Employee - Hostess in Normal, IL

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interacting with customers constantly, great food, fast paced environment

Cons

Not consistent income, no room for growth

Promote from within

good to start

Former Employee - Server in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Server in Raleigh, NC

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good to start for corporate restaurant

Cons

lack of leaders not much help from other staff

Better training and better benefits