T.G.I. Friday's

Updated December 16, 2014
2.9

T.G.I. Friday's President & CEO Nick Shepherd
Nick Shepherd

Pros
  • It was a great way to work through college and make decent money with a flexible schedule (in 26 reviews)

• The company prioritizes the importance of having a fun environment for both the guests and the employees (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours depending upon position but worth the money (in 18 reviews)

• I worked long late hours all the time (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

If you like corporate than this is the place for you

Former Employee - Bartender in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Bartender in New York, NY

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

its usually busy and the money is decent

Cons

Absolutly no room for expansion or experimentation

Sometimes hostile environment, FOH ran by servers, not management

Current Employee - Server in Newington, CT
    Current Employee - Server in Newington, CT

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The management is down to earth and easy to talk to, they also handle customer concerns very well, and will never leave you hanging with an irate customer.

Cons

The management doesn't run the front of the house, the servers and bartenders do, and with that separation comes a sometimes hostile work environment. The veteran servers run the show and get off from barking out side work commands throughout the shift, which is actually the most passive aggressive and ineffective approach to getting running side work done. Newer servers that get cut first, get the most side work, the select closing servers give themselves minimal to no side work, and instead of putting in an effort to help out with the work that needs to be done throughout a shift, they shout out their commands. Instead of the management implementing a more effective running side work model, this approach is the accepted way to run things.

During the interviews, the management suggests they cut based on performance, not seniority. With the absence of the management in the front of the house to observe newer servers performing well, the same servers always stay the latest, in the best sections of the restaurant, which leaves little money to be made for the newer crew. Upper management in the company are always riding restaurant management to get hours down, so most of the time, even on a busy Saturday, a shift doesn't last longer than three hours on the floor.

During the interview and training process, the management and training servers imply that you will be applauded for your hard work, staying on top of running side work, rolling silverware throughout your shift, and will be rewarded for doing so. There is no acknowledgement for working hard, and clearly no benefits either, the same servers will continue to run the show and stay in the money making sections of the restaurant.

I will note that so much work is left to the servers and it's tough for the restaurant management to involve themselves with the front of the house more because the company doesn't want to spend the money on an expediter, and bussers and runners. Besides the weekends, servers and management fill the shoes of an expediter, and servers also run and bus their tables, and always run other table's plates as well. If the management could focus on being management, and not expediters, things might run more fairly for the front of the house staff. If the servers had a food runner, they could manage more of the running side work.

To restaurant management - consider involving yourself more in the FOH. Observe servers performance, and implement a more effective side work model, that is fair to everyone working.

To company management - consider hiring the positions necessary to run a smooth and successful restaurant.

Terrible exp

Current Employee - Server in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Server in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

People I worked with

Cons

No flexibility for hours. Expected to work doubles.

Better management.

I have worked here 3 months so far and I absolutely love it.

Current Employee - Server in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Server in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Organized, Drama Free, Positive People

Cons

some of the guests can be rude

Server

Current Employee - Server in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Server in Orlando, FL

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It has a great training program for first time servers. They get you prepared and make sure you have the knowledge before you hit the floor.

Cons

The management hardly backs up the employees even though they tell their employees to do a certain thing. Better benefits and better compensation.

Fun

Current Employee - Host in Merrillville, IN
    Current Employee - Host in Merrillville, IN

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun place to work.
    Good hours and and tips.

Cons

Heavy workload
    Not enough pay compared to work

My experience at TGI Friday's was fulfilling on numerous levels including professionally and personally.

Former Employee - Server in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Server in Erie, PA

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

TGI Friday's is a fun work environment that encourages its employees to exhibit their unique personality.

Cons

Other team members do not work up to established standards.

Regularly observe and evaluate employee's performance based on set standards. Provide regular feedback.

Not the best place to be a server

Former Employee - Server in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Server in Tulsa, OK

I worked at T.G.I. Friday's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers were great! Company is constantly striving to keep up with the latest and greatest drinks & entree's while providing the all time favorite's with consistency. Atmosphere is nostalgic!

Cons

Too much negativity in leadership, there was little promotion of great attitudes and fun atmosphere. There were problems with keeping leadership on premise and 2 manager's were promoted to other locations with pay increase that were not high energy, uplifting manager's. The customer's felt the negativity in the restaurant and you could tell which one's fed off it because they were the one's asking for comp's. The Tips were ok but when you advertise a $7.99 lunch you're going to get a $5.99 customer all day every day.

Consider discussing Golden Rule management styles and keeping a positive attitude towards all employee's and guests. Focus on the pros of what has made TGIFriday's a great place to work and enjoy dinner & drinks!

Everyday is Friday

Current Employee - Hostess in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Hostess in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Located a few miles away from Legoland, which calls for a great volume of guests with children and tourist during the summer.

Cons

Staff support is poor, but on the rise.

LOTS of cash

Current Employee - Server in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Server in Towson, MD

I have been working at T.G.I. Friday's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

MONEY, Money , Money, money ,really busy so money

Cons

Guest are RIDICULOUS so just turn and burn