T.K. Maxx

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
3.1

Michael MacMillan

Pros
  • very good pay for part timers and easy to up the heirachy (in 12 reviews)

• I felt valued and the hours are flexible which I really needed (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work-life balance - getting out 2 hours late at 11 pm is not acceptable when your a 16 year old student (in 4 reviews)

• managers and team leaders where dreadful (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Its like a family not your colleagues!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brighton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brighton, England (UK)

I have been working at T.K. Maxx part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone is always so friendly and lovely who work for TK MAXX as TK MAXX do not look for a certain "look" of people i.e young/fashionable/attractive/"VOGUE" look - everyone is different from young to middle aged which is why it's lovely to be with all different kinds of people, everyone is honestly like a family than colleagues! The pay is very high for retail (I've been there for a year and am on £7.10 an hour) As so many people work at TK MAXX if you can't do a shift they allow you to find someone on the rota that you can swap with to!

Cons

The discount for us associates is 10% and we have random weekends every few months "double discount weekend" which is 20% which is okay i suppose... Another thing is the music - i sound ridiculous but some of the songs they play are shocking and its obviously on repeat so you hear the same songs every day! It's songs that NOBODY likes and theres about 40% of French and Spanish songs but then again, TK MAXX is for all different types of people so its an all rounder for customers!

My only advice to Management is that i hope we get more than 10% discount because its just not enough considering we work there.

Fantastic company to work for.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Supervisor in Kilkenny (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Supervisor in Kilkenny (Ireland)

I have been working at T.K. Maxx part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly staff. Fantastic work atmosphere. Excellent management.

Cons

Lack of a computerised stock system can cause slight problems.

I've worked within the TKMaxx company for 2 years now and find it's very welcoming business and friendly staff.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Liverpool, England (UK)

I have been working at T.K. Maxx as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Get to see great stock being put out and latest trends appearing
    Meet loads of friendly people who also work there
    Contracted hours are not ridiculous and gives time to relax and carry out other day to day jobs and activities
    God pay for my age (19)

Cons

Have to be on time for each shift and hand in time off notices within two weeks in advance

Allow for time off to be scheduled evenly

Not so great...

Former Employee - Associate in Horsham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Associate in Horsham, England (UK)

I worked at T.K. Maxx part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hmmm...

Maybe the discount?

Some, but by no means all of my colleagues were relatively amicable and approachable. The others were strangely hostile and spiteful, without discernible cause.

Cons

For brevity and therefore comprehension, I'll try to keep it short and sharp as possible. In no particular order.

- I've never encountered such irrational and disproportionate hatred from customers, and prompted by comparatively petty issues. Before this position, I had previously spent several years in a direct customer service role, but I have never experienced anything like this. If a customer's request for a gift receipt was drowned out by the noise of the frontline, do you then deserve to be subject to public humiliation, vile innuendos and outbursts, and personal attacks and insults? One of my fellow colleagues burst into tears. What self-respecting person puts up with this kind of treatment, for a part-time, temporary, nearly minimum wage position? How can middle-aged people act like this and think it's okay? Good Lord...

- The returns policy is far too generous. I'd estimate that about every third transaction involved a return. Where previously there was a dedicated desk for this, now it's up to the frontline associates to sort it all out. Some customers were obviously playing it, returning formal, sequinned dresses worth hundreds, for a full refund, nearly a month later. And then, upon closer inspection, some damage is noted, and a reduction is called for. This is not the way to make money. And returning intimate underwear and lingerie, to be put back on the shelves immediately? Revolting, unhygienic and potentially a health issue.

- Some of the processes just defied common sense and practical implementation. Tiny slots for store receipt copies in the cash drawer, so that they spill out all over the floor. No formal process for reservation of unpaid/pre-paid items, causing confusion. A small amount of space available at the tills, for some pretty big and/or numerous items. Till processes that make it absurdly difficult to correct very basic mistakes.

- Training is practically non-existent; you are expected to learn the job whilst doing the job, which isn't a great idea when it comes to operating tills, handling transactions and serving customers during a particularly busy period. Small mistakes can be quite problematic to sort out. Instead of the pointless, cheesy induction videos about 'company values' and so forth, more time should be spent 'inducting' you into the actual work you will be doing. Too many times, I had to rely on the word of someone on how to do thus and so, only to be told the opposite by someone else. Considering how any little mistake is treated with utmost seriousness, and even contempt, by sternly-faced staff and customers, you'd think that they might establish things more thoroughly.

You get the picture.

Take heed of the above. I am by no means alone in these sentiments.

Not too bad...

Current Employee - Associate in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I have been working at T.K. Maxx part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Build relationships with colleagues.
    Decent Pay [Above Minimum]
    Look after their Associates.
    Nice for a Part-Time job.
    Clear about Company Policies.
    Thorough Training Programme

Cons

Expect Major Flexibility.
    Offload Heavy Workloads to single associates.
    Strict Time Guidelines.

Consider the workload and work/life balance on associates... Not everyone likes early mornings

The company's worldwide now a good way to a new adventure of treasure hunting.... And new experience.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hounslow, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hounslow, England (UK)

I have been working at T.K. Maxx part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Routine and flexibility from managers

Friends who will take time to grow and bond

Cons

Your never able to adapt, it's loads of duties… messy

Good great advice wil be to be able to start more hours… set full time employment... Change certain payouts And keep changing layout

Rewarding, eye opening and inspirational.

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I have been working at T.K. Maxx part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about working for TK Maxx is the people that I work with, very friendly and helpful found people that I will be friends with for life. The pay is good and the hpurs are very flexible with fitting in with university and my social life.

Cons

Dealing with difficult customers, however this is easy to over come as the staff around me are always extremely helpful. Also customers tend to be very careless and have little respect for our products as you always find dump stock.

I think managers should aim to complete the rota at least two weeks in advance as this would give us more time to plan stuff to do on our days off :)

Their Ok But Need To Check Who They Employ

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at T.K. Maxx part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good holiday, Ok pay,Good training, they are a all round good company they look after their staff in loads of way, very happy with the company itself.

Cons

They need to look at who they employ as managers within the company, a lot of the (store) managers are to power hungry or power mad once they have it they go insane, most don't treat their staff right because they have the power they don't have to.

Stop letting power go to your heads and they heads of lower management, keep an eye out for your staff, the people who bring your money in, the people on the shop floor who get you those sales, moral is low because the staff don't feel appreciated, do something for them, a party, a night out, a day trip, even a gift card just for being them.

Overall good company to work for, however not staff are not always treated the same

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Brighton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Brighton, England (UK)

I have been working at T.K. Maxx part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work with nice people, the managers are mainly friendly and approachable.
    Can be very rewarding helping customers. We are actively encouraged to talk to and chat to customers and to get wows. We are always congratulated when we get a wow
    Lost of opportunities for overtime
    Good varierety or work, so are not always doing the same thing

Cons

The managers do not always talk to each other which has caused me some problems, one serious in the past regarding a lost holiday form. I have also been treated badly by a couple of managers because of this and was not treated well when returning to work after a holiday when the new Brighton store opened and finding out my nan died in France.
    Managers seem to have there favourite members of staff who are encouraged and given all the opportunities and training to progress within the company. I have worked for them for 5 years and when asked my manager if there were opportunities to progress I was told I would not be suitable. I did not think this was fair as I would have liked a chance to prove myself.
    You are sometimes given a unrealistic amount of work to do in a short period of time
    Four hour shifts on the fitting rooms are to much, these are given to the same people. We should go back to the two hour shifts

All members of staff should be given opportunities and if needed help with personal growth, not just favourites.
    Give staff regular reviews, I have worked for the company for 5 years and hacpve gap had 2 reviews
    Managers should talk to each other

Management disaster.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at T.K. Maxx as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Pleasant store to work in. Friendly peers. Opportunity to work as a team. Good pay given the tasks at hand. Tidy and well equipped staff room.

Cons

customers are inconsiderate with the items you have to tidy. Management team (Glasgow fort store) were rude, immature and extremely unprofessional, having worked with the store on 2 separate occasions (2 fixed-term contracts) there was never any progress in professionalism.

Treat your employees with respect. Given the fact that on many occasions the employees within the Glasgow Fort store were almost forced into working extra hours and on refusal of being able to work overtime there were physical tantrums (with tears) from a female member of management. In my opinion this is unacceptable. From there on in the general communication between management and myself was left uncomfortable and I felt that I was personally victimised by specific members of management within the store for the rest of my time within my temporary contract. Extremely unprofessional behaviour and I am aware of other similar incidences with fellow employees within the store. As far as I'm aware, the problem was never remedied within both occasions of my employment.