T.K. Maxx Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
5.0
Michael MacMillan

Pros
  • very good pay for part timers and easy to up the heirachy (in 12 reviews)

• Hours are flexible and so are the job roles (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work-life balance - getting out 2 hours late at 11 pm is not acceptable when your a 16 year old student (in 4 reviews)

• managers and team leaders where dreadful (in 6 reviews)

1. Its like a family not your colleagues!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brighton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brighton, England (UK)

I have been working at T.K. Maxx part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is always so friendly and lovely who work for TK MAXX as TK MAXX do not look for a certain "look" of people i.e young/fashionable/attractive/"VOGUE" look - everyone is different from young to middle aged which is why it's lovely to be with all different kinds of people, everyone is honestly like a family than colleagues! The pay is very high for retail (I've been there for a year and am on £7.10 an hour) As so many people work at TK MAXX if you can't do a shift they allow you to find someone on the rota that you can swap with to!

Cons

The discount for us associates is 10% and we have random weekends every few months "double discount weekend" which is 20% which is okay i suppose... Another thing is the music - i sound ridiculous but some of the songs they play are shocking and its obviously on repeat so you hear the same songs every day! It's songs that NOBODY likes and theres about 40% of French and Spanish songs but then again, TK MAXX is for all different types of people so its an all rounder for customers!

Advice to Management

My only advice to Management is that i hope we get more than 10% discount because its just not enough considering we work there.

2. Fantastic company to work for.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Supervisor in Kilkenny (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Supervisor in Kilkenny (Ireland)

I have been working at T.K. Maxx part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff. Fantastic work atmosphere. Excellent management.

Cons

Lack of a computerised stock system can cause slight problems.

Rewarding, eye opening and inspirational.

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I have been working at T.K. Maxx part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about working for TK Maxx is the people that I work with, very friendly and helpful found people that I will be friends with for life. The pay is good and the hpurs are very flexible with fitting in with university and my social life.

Cons

Dealing with difficult customers, however this is easy to over come as the staff around me are always extremely helpful. Also customers tend to be very careless and have little respect for our products as you always find dump stock.

Advice to Management

I think managers should aim to complete the rota at least two weeks in advance as this would give us more time to plan stuff to do on our days off :)

5. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Llantrisant, Rhondda Cynon Taff, Wales (UK)

I have been working at T.K. Maxx part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

some great stock and always a chance to climb the corporate ladder

Cons

Timelines for certain tasks are way off and need to looked at

Advice to Management

better training and more opportunities to get higher up the corporate ladder faster

6. friendly

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at T.K. Maxx part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone you work with is friendly, like a big family. Good wage(under 16). Reasonable with taking holidays.

Cons

Some people that want to be contracted more hours don't get contracted them, even if they work those hours regularaly which could be a pain when booking off holidays, also new staff are taken on even though some colleugues will do more hours.

Advice to Management

consider asking people if they would like to be cnotracted more hours before employing more staff.

7. Fun, Social (but professional) atmosphere. Family feel within the workplace.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Basingstoke, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Basingstoke, England (UK)

I have been working at T.K. Maxx part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Associate Discounts for staff of up to 20% on top of the 60% price reduction that TK Maxx is renowned for. For part time staff, it is relatively easy to get time off and you are allowed a satisfactory amount of it. It's good pay for young students and helps to grasp an idea of the working environment. As this was my first job, it has helped me learn financial skills as you get paid monthly so you have to learn to budget. Many career opportunities to progress up the hierarchy of TK Maxx and progress within the company.

Cons

Some of the tasks required of you within the role of an Associate are repetitive and done day in day out. You get a small break every 4 hours - as I work exactly 4 hours, I'm not entitled to one.

Advice to Management

Give part timers such as associates a small break of even 10/15 minutes because some work such as in processing room is draining upon the body and people that work 5 hours rather than 4 get a 30 minute break for only an extra 30 minutes work. Also, perhaps offer the option of extra hours to some staff as staff rota is extremely tight with hours.

8. Good work environment

Former Employee - Store Merchandiser in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Store Merchandiser in London, England (UK)

I worked at T.K. Maxx part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good team members, good salary, good working hours

Cons

Work life balance long working hours in christmas

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

9. I have been working in TKmaxx since 2006

Current Employee - Sales Audit Clerk in Watford, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Audit Clerk in Watford, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at T.K. Maxx full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

TKmaxx is like my second parent . I started as an associate and got a chance to work at Finance team in head office. I have been getting a lot of experience day after day. I am happy to work with work colleagues who are friendly, who share knowledge and experiences. TKmaxx gives me a lot of strength and energy like mother gives strength and energy to her child.

Cons

According to my experience in stores, at busy times I had to work without taking break and I was told that I will be paid. But I was not paid for the break time. It made all the associate got angry.

Advice to Management

My advice to the Management in store to keep promise and to make sure to pay if the associate work in their break time.

10. T.K. Maxx - Big family, small complications

Former Employee - Seasonal Employee in Blackpool, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Seasonal Employee in Blackpool, England (UK)

I worked at T.K. Maxx part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff friendly, Management great and understanding, fun training, variety of work experience. work/life balance great as they worked with my busy life.

Cons

can be challenging to progress in career development

Advice to Management

keep up the good work! P.S maybe change the old 80's safety videos to something more up to date

11. Worked for TK MAXX for 13 years, was the best place to work.

Former Employee - Team Leader in Milton Keynes, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

I worked at T.K. Maxx full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible hours to suit you working around family and work which very few company's will agree to do so that family and work don't clash with each other.

Cons

It was very challenging place to work but you were respected for who you were above all also recognized and rewarded by management.

Advice to Management

You are doing well nothing to change at the present moment.

RSS Feed </> Embed