T.K. Maxx

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael MacMillan

Pros
  • very good pay for part timers and easy to up the heirachy(in 8 reviews)

• I felt valued and the hours are flexible which I really needed(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work-life balance - getting out 2 hours late at 11 pm is not acceptable when your a 16 year old student(in 4 reviews)

• management expect staff to be on time, yet keep the staff behind (on average) 2 hours after specified shifts(in 3 reviews)

65 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to work for

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Llantrisant, Rhondda Cynon Taff, Wales (UK)

Prossome great stock and always a chance to climb the corporate ladder

ConsTimelines for certain tasks are way off and need to looked at

Advice to Senior Managementbetter training and more opportunities to get higher up the corporate ladder faster

TK Maxx was a great first insight into retail industry.

Sales Advisor (Former Employee) Weston-super-Mare, England (UK)

ProsI liked meeting new people whilst serving, I liked that I learnt new things from management so when i did things wrong they would explain to me what would be better to do next time. I loved a lot of the things that they had in the store so it was always a perk of being an employee to buy things and get a discount. I got a long with a lot of the other employees and it was nice becoming friends with them and talking to them outside of work.

ConsI didn't like that I got put on emergency tax, as I was only 17 at the time and it was my first job therefore at the time I wasn't sure what to do once I got put on the wrong tax code. Also sometime I found it difficult to talk to my manager about it, as he didn't see it as a priority and instead of helping me and doing something about it he would just leave it and sometimes speak down to me.

Sales Assistant

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible working hours and good team atmosphere

ConsBusy and monotonous; management not too accommodative

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience at the hands of managers was frankly awful although I did work with some fantastic colleagues.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

ProsIt's a busy place to work and the assistants all work together which is a good working environment. Everyone was very friendly and there are quite a few nights out. The pay and holiday allowance was reasonable and they allow you to swap shifts where necessary.

ConsI worked at the Argyle Street store, which had too many managers at the same level who all disagreed about what the staff should be doing. The bag and body searches made everyone feel uncomfortable, and I once discovered management had gone through my locker without my consent. Flexibility for shift patterns was awful, I was always put on the late shifts despite the fact I was always available from around 12pm. After the store closed, if a certain department was messy, we were all forced to stay behind without overtime pay and ignoring requests to leave to catch a train or a bus. This resulted in me waiting more than an hour for a train late at night, then I had another hours journey.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease treat staff on the floor better, everyone works very hard to get the job done and this is difficult when managers are not on the same page. The security searches are taken too far, and this should not be done when employees are trying to leave to catch a bus or train after a long shift.

love it here

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Stafford, England (UK)

Prosgood to build up skills with working in retail, learn different things every day, friendly associates, good pay, good holiday opportunity, quick training

Consa lot of things needed to know about the company whilst working here, takes time to get recognized for good work

I've learnt a lot and made friends for life.

ProsThe company will push you to be greater if they see potential so if you're looking for progression and you have what it takes there are great possibilities to move up to management.

ConsTrying to get customers to understand the nature of the business. Extremely fast paced at times, especially Christmas. You need a good pair of shoes!

Great boss, fun team to work with

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsMy boss was always really friendly and helpful, the team were also lovely! Great discounts especially for friend and family events. Customers were also fun to talk to while serving them. I felt valued and the hours are flexible which I really needed!

ConsFound being stuck on one laborious job for too long made me dislike that days works, e.g. too much fitting room or maintenance. Sometimes the team leaders didn't pull their weight. Being given multiple jobs at once, e.g. being on fitting rooms, while flowing stock and trying to put the full clothes rail out, meant one of the tags got left in the changing rooms and I got into trouble.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not overload people with work and make sure managers/team leaders pull their weight. Multiple times a team leader told me to pick something up instead of just doing it herself.

friendly

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Bristol, England (UK)

ProsEveryone you work with is friendly, like a big family.
    Good wage(under 16).
    Reasonable with taking holidays.

ConsSome people that want to be contracted more hours don't get contracted them, even if they work those hours regularaly which could be a pain when booking off holidays, also new staff are taken on even though some colleugues will do more hours.

Advice to Senior Managementconsider asking people if they would like to be cnotracted more hours before employing more staff.

crazy and awful

Deputy Store Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosif you ever thinking of leaving your job to join tk maxx think again they company gives an image of good working environment, from my experience its the worse company i have worked for HR department is very weak so staff right do not apply , managers are expected to work min of 11 hours a day and they is no organisation at all

Consno comments need to change the mentality of the business

Advice to Senior Managementthink about your and your team leaders spend time to develop people, and managers please d some work

Fun, Social (but professional) atmosphere. Family feel within the workplace.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Basingstoke, England (UK)

ProsAssociate Discounts for staff of up to 20% on top of the 60% price reduction that TK Maxx is renowned for.
    For part time staff, it is relatively easy to get time off and you are allowed a satisfactory amount of it.
    It's good pay for young students and helps to grasp an idea of the working environment. As this was my first job, it has helped me learn financial skills as you get paid monthly so you have to learn to budget.
    Many career opportunities to progress up the hierarchy of TK Maxx and progress within the company.

ConsSome of the tasks required of you within the role of an Associate are repetitive and done day in day out. You get a small break every 4 hours - as I work exactly 4 hours, I'm not entitled to one.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive part timers such as associates a small break of even 10/15 minutes because some work such as in processing room is draining upon the body and people that work 5 hours rather than 4 get a 30 minute break for only an extra 30 minutes work. Also, perhaps offer the option of extra hours to some staff as staff rota is extremely tight with hours.

Worked for T.K. Maxx? Contribute to the Community!