T.K. Maxx Reviews

• Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
Michael MacMillan

Pros
  • very good pay for part timers and easy to up the heirachy (in 12 reviews)

• Hours are flexible and so are the job roles (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work-life balance - getting out 2 hours late at 11 pm is not acceptable when your a 16 year old student (in 4 reviews)

• managers and team leaders where dreadful (in 6 reviews)

1. Sales Assistant

Former Contractor - Sales Assistant in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Sales Assistant in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at T.K. Maxx as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The interview process was really quick and casual, nothing out of the ordinary. Normal questions asked such as why would I like to work for TK Maxx, tell us about the brand and give an example of when you provided outstanding customer service. Got the job within less than a week started the following week. - Always busy, different work to do each day - More shift available if you ask - Some managers and other employees are very nice/friendly - Other employees very helpful whilst you get used to the way things work - Given some extra responsibilities as time goes by - Staff room was very comfortable

Cons

- Store layout changes very often, so have a look around before each shift - Favoritism with allocation of shift - Shop can get very messy due to the way the clothes are displayed and laid out so clean up after closing is very hectic can be stressful as you have a time limit in which to get it done. Although if your struggling people usually help out - Store Manager can be very stand offish and sometimes a little unfriendly - My main issue when working at TK Maxx was the way in which things were priced, if an item did not have a price tag on then the next best option to finding the price was to; find the same item, similar item same brand, similar item different brand similar fabric and so on. So pricing was very difficult at first - Problems with shift allocations due to managers not communicating with each other when they booked other in for shift, as well as being booked in for a shift but they don't need you to work or the shift time table on the wall being different to the time table the shift manager has - Different/ over lapping codes for clothing and which department they belong to can be confusing at first

Advice to Management

More staff meeting to keep temps and new staff more clued up on whats going on with shifts, promotional offers and more information and training needs to be given with the correct way to price items

2. I m sales associate and work all department of the store.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, England (UK)

I have been working at T.K. Maxx part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is No any good reason to work here...too busy, unorganized trainings and part time job only and i said everything.

Cons

To stay calm and have good mood in busy environment with lot of costumers questions, refund and task to do....

Advice to Management

More workers

3. Absolutely dreadful

I worked at T.K. Maxx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people working there hate the job, so are always sympathetic when the guaranteed disciplinaries, back stabbing and 'making your life hell' starts with the managers who wormed there way to the top with those very tactics.

Cons

If your face doesn't fit - it never will. You cannot challenge management, you cannot challenge anything which you know is wrong. If you do your life WILL be made hell and they will stop at nothing to get you out. Rules only apply when they want them to, they care nothing about there employees (unless they are at head office or management (or future management material!)). Absolutely the worst place to work.

5. lack of communication

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Liverpool, England (UK)

I worked at T.K. Maxx (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere. Good teamwork. Great bargains to be had.

Cons

Don't find out your hours for the following week until Saturday (week begins Sunday) Too many managers/team leaders per store. Most stores understaffed but expected to have the job done in half the time.

Advice to Management

Communicate more with your staff.

6. Customer assistant

I worked at T.K. Maxx

Pros

Good money as a whole

Cons

No progress as a whole

7. Average.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at T.K. Maxx (Less than a year)

Pros

Good staff, above min wage pay, not having to deal with many customers.

Cons

Little training, stuck in same department for whole shift (ie, fitting rooms), no career development opportunities, always hassled for overtime.

Advice to Management

Consider staff engagement.

8. good

I worked at T.K. Maxx

Pros

they were really good to work for i would recommend it definately

Cons

there wasnt much cons. at the time. depends how you i guess

Advice to Management

nothing

9. Avoid at all costs

Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, England (UK)

I have been working at T.K. Maxx part-time (More than a year)

Pros

When asking the pros about TKMAXX is like asking do you enjoy a bucket of cold water landing on your head during winter. In all seriouses some of the stuff are amazing and its truly a pleasure working with them. But that's the first and only Pro...

Cons

Oh where do I begin with this? Should I start with the management or should the team leaders or even the customers... Oh the choices. I guess I will start with management. This has been my first job since I left college in July 2013 and you would think you would get used to their behaviour? But trust me you don't. They are amongst the worst kind of people imaginable. Saying that one of them is quite nice and I think why isn't he doing something more but I'm going off topic. So let's start off with the manager, plain and simple she is a bully. She will shout and treaten you in front of customers and hold a massive grudge and even punish you like a child if you do something wrong. This punishment would envolve you working in the same position for exactly 2 years which is none other than the fitting rooms. I mean come on, its not fair not only on the stuff but on others who wish to try something new. She openly lies to customers about delivierys and calls them various names. This is only some of the terror I as a sales accoicate has to deal with. But let's get started on the assistant manager, he is a nice guy (when it suits him) however he will change your hours without any notice and constantly get annoyed if you cannot work those new found hours. Overall he isn't bad just a little childish because he can throw a strop and a half. To finish this section, I just want to briefly talk about the team leaders. My question how are they "team leaders"? They are so pathetic and rude not only to stuff but also customers. One customer asked for help with a inquiry, but the team leader ignored him and told him to get lost. I mean come on these people, pay our bills so its better not annoy them. However this TL clearly doesn't get the memo. She has even gone as far as locking a accoicate in the customer lift. The customers are by far the worst, one lady shouted at me and reported me to the manager, because I said excuse me?? So there is me getting run though the mudd by this lady who knows nothing about me. Yet I am the worst person in the world according to her. The manager instantly took her side. Claiming she was right and I got exiled upstairs for nothing... So remember if you descide to work at TKMAXX, always keep in mind that you are always in the wrong and that it's yours and all sales assistants fault that customers refuse to come into the store.

Advice to Management

So my advice is that just treat your stuff with respect, the fact is that if we are happy that generally means productivity will be pretty good as well. Also don't thing you all high and mighty because you are management because as soon as we both walk outside the door we are equals. This means any small measure of power you have means absolutely nothing! Also just losen up and we might get along.

10. Associate

Former Employee - Associate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Associate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at T.K. Maxx

Pros

Some of the other staff

Cons

Horrendous management who were too self involved.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff and get over yourselves.

11. Sales Associate

Former Contractor - Sales Associate
    Former Contractor - Sales Associate

I worked at T.K. Maxx as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Mostly Friendly staff. Staff discount was good and additional discount for family and friends on certain weekends.

Cons

Sometimes staff/management team were extremely rude and not very helpful. There wasn't much flexibility to the hours that I had to work.

RSS Feed </> Embed