T.K. Maxx Reviews in United Kingdom

Updated September 24, 2014
Updated September 24, 2014
3.1

Michael MacMillan

Pros
  • very good pay for part timers and easy to up the heirachy (in 8 reviews)

• I felt valued and the hours are flexible which I really needed (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work-life balance - getting out 2 hours late at 11 pm is not acceptable when your a 16 year old student (in 4 reviews)

• managers and team leaders where dreadful (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

78 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

As an admin, the company has lovely culture where even buying directors are happy to chat to entry level employees.

Former Employee - Buyer's Administrator  in  Watford, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Buyer's Administrator in Watford, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at T.K. Maxx full-time for more than a year

Pros

Buyer's admins can attend vendor meetings with buyers and voice own opinions, great access to excel training, competitive pay, employees ready to help each other, creativity in encouraged through responsibility for trend research and mood boards, exposure to weekly reports and training into how to read them, as a buyer's admin you get a great understanding of product and best and worst sellers throughout a huge number of brands. The company is also as fair as it can be, if you have to stay late at work, the supervisors ensure you get your time back.

Cons

If you are interested in buying there is not a great route up from buyers admin level, you are required to join the graduate scheme at allocator level and work your way up to assistant merchandiser before you can move across into buying as an assistant buyer. However, if you want a long term career at TK Maxx an understanding of merchandising would be extremely useful for off-price and the graduate scheme provides excellent training.

It may be advisable to introduce a second route into buying where buyer's admins can be promoted to senior buyer's admin, allowing them to work closely with assistant buyers/buyers/merchandisers and gain training to advance to assistant buyer. As promotions would be reliant on the admins progress, this would allow the business to decide whether buying is the right path for the individual. This would prevent valued employees leaving for other opportunities or being forced to enter the route of admin supervisor (the only alternative opportunity for progression).

Decent company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, England (UK)

I have been working at T.K. Maxx part-time for more than a year

Pros

Quite a fun, relaxed, fast-paced atmosphere where there is always a variety of things to do. The management are really nice and understanding and the company is quite flexible with your hours.

Cons

If you're working part-time you may struggle to get enough hours. The company now only employs people on 8 and 12 hour contracts.

A year-round nightmare

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at T.K. Maxx as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The friendships I have made with colleagues make the job bearable. Shifts go reasonably quickly.

Cons

There is far too much pressure and stress on those given big departments or more than one department to maintain, especially during busy periods like weekends/holidays. Targets are unrealistic and chance to grow within the company are limited. The rotas are not on a rolling basis which makes it difficult to plan a social life. There seems no fair balance between evening and morning shifts, and most nights we are kept behind 10 minutes after our shift has ended because there is still things to do, however this is unpaid. The customers are in a different league to any other I've experienced, no respect at all. Hours are constantly being cut which makes you feel financially unstable when it is your main job.

Appreciate that your staff have a life outside of work, so create a fair and balanced rota and then keep it on a rolling basis so that people know where they stand.
    Orders come from head office to cut hundreds of hours, but this makes the job so much more stressful for both those who are told not to come to work, and for those who have to do the job of 2 or 3 people, surely there is a better way around cutting back.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

okay, but wouldnt work there again

Former Employee - Shop Assistant  in  Sheffield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Shop Assistant in Sheffield, England (UK)

I worked at T.K. Maxx part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

friendly management and staff, varied work shifts, log and short shift patterns so you can fit around your home life

Cons

as i whole i felt people do not work as a team as well as they could do, also some targets whilst at work are unrealistic which is demotivating for employees

when completing annual reviews with staff, follow through with what you have told them, ie) training- if you said that you would train us on something else do it..

Started off with high hopes, but bad policies, poor management ruined it for me.

I worked at T.K. Maxx part-time

Pros

There are some nice people who work there.

Hourly wage is slightly more than minimum wage.

10% discount...

Cons

1.) Unpaid Meetings:
    It is mandatory to come to work 10 minutes before every shift for an unpaid meeting (the daily "brief"). You are not allowed to clock in until the meeting is over, which could be after your intended start time for your shift. If the "brief" is so important for the job, why don't we get paid for it?

2.) Too Many Managers
    With so many assistant managers, it's common to be given conflicting directions, tasks, and information, and then getting in trouble with all of them because you can't please them all. Maybe the managers can't keep up with the constantly changing rules. Every day it seemed the rules changed.

3.) Closing Shifts Never End at 8:30pm
    If you work a closing shift and you're meant to leave at 8:30pm, be prepared to stay until 9pm or sometimes later. (At least you get paid for THAT extra work.)

4.) Bag Searches and Occasional Body Searches
    A bag check is understandable, but it was very uncomfortable to witness a fellow associate undergo a body search/frisking after being randomly selected. A female assistant manager did the body search/pat-down on the female associate, but still, it really feels as though we're prisoners.

5.) Rota Only Put Up A Week in Advance
    The rotas run from Sunday to Saturday, and they are put up one week at a time. It's difficult to make any plans in advance.

If you want your employees to show up ten minutes before their shift starts, you need to pay them for that time.

If you're going to have so many assistant managers, make sure they are all on the same page, so they don't give conflicting information and directions.

Pretty dire.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Watford, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Watford, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at T.K. Maxx full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It paid above minimum wage and there was the *possibility* of flexible working hours. It's also involved with charity work, which is great.

Cons

The work is tiring, repetitive, and boring - there are unreasonably high expectations from managers as regards what you should be able to accomplish in any given space of time. Time allotted to do certain tasks was decreased sometimes without any good reason. Managers were also consistently un-supportive in the face of abusive customers. All types of shifts meant being on your feet for hours and you were *always* expected to stay later than your shift's scheduled finish at closing time, to the point where you weren't allowed to leave even if you asked to. It was unusual to leave any sooner than two hours after your shift had finished. I don't understand why TK Maxx didn't just rota people in to do this shift if they needed people to do it. On some occasions it was very difficult to get the hours you wanted, too - the store I worked at seemed to prefer having a lot of staff doing very few hours each.

The managers have their own agendas and treat sales associates and floor staff like tools to meet their goals. They often spoke to us as if we were unruly, untrustworthy children who needed constant supervision. Sick days and holidays are handled really badly. Holiday was hard to take and it was difficult to find out when it would reset, how much you had left, etc. Staff who call in sick days are treated like slackers no matter what the reason - if you phone in yourself you're guilt-tripped over the phone and often told to come in anyway.

There's little opportunity to improve - we were told there would be options for staff to move into the head office or higher management roles but this never happened.

In advance to my applying to jobs elsewhere I helped to train someone as I had learned a few specialised tasks. As soon as this was done the store stopped giving me shifts without warning. When I asked why this was they answered that I had 'known all along' I'd have to leave once my 'replacement' was fully trained when this had never been discussed, let alone put in writing. After a few months I was told to hand in my notice because head office didn't like leaving me on the payroll when I was doing 0 hours. This was after working at the store for three years, part- and then full-time. It felt like a petty end to an unpleasant 'career'.

Start treating staff like humans instead of disposable tools and put some consistent, transparent policies in place regarding things like career advancement, hours to be worked, etc.

Started great ending extremely horribly

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Horsham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Horsham, England (UK)

I have been working at T.K. Maxx as a contractor

Pros

Made great relationships with co-workers, pay is good, good holiday opportunities and meeting lots of different people.

Cons

Have had 3 store managers within 4 months, the management now do not seem to listen at all after repeatedly asking for feedback. They would do a 'move' in a department and not tell that associate, no communication between co-workers at all, no feedback from what a visitor has said after asking for them to tell us so we can have insight. Management do not seem to realise that they should leave their bad mood outside of work, they carry on their stress to associates and say 'thats the way it is', very rude and brush off any questions we have. Have had 24 people leave this year and have only hired back 5, 2 of which have been fired, one of which was a christmas temp they re-hired and the remained are weekend so in theory there should be lots of hours but they are cutting back which makes everything more stressful and extremely intense. Delivery is not fully flowed so maintenance have to flow which leaves their departments messy. Hate the way that the same item can have different prices depending on 'when it was bought by the supplies and delivered'. Customers ignore you, treat you badly just because they refuse to understand that we are an 'off price' not a department store. Customers barge through and don't care about associates. One time had to IBI the whole of Modbox in a half hour, whilst keeping on top of department and going in tills if need be this time management needs to be looked at thoroughly!

Don't expect the world from us associates, we do not know everything especially since there is no communication at all. Don't bring your horrible mood to work and do not overload one person with multiple tasks. Call back for tills is dreadful, im sure with the turnover everyday they can employ more people! Don't sit upstairs in the office leaving only associates on the shop floor and do not take extra lunch time and then moan when we are 2 minutes late!

Recent structure changes have badly effected a great company

Current Employee - Manager  in  Watford, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in Watford, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at T.K. Maxx full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Met some great, fun, skilled people here. Will take these relationships with me through the rest of my professional career if I can.

Cons

Recent structural change has left many associates unsure where responsibilities and decision making for some key areas lie.

As a result many business projects are getting briefed later and later, causing great stress and negative impact on associates involved in the projects. This was not the case until last year when everything worked an awful lot better than it does now, and still it gets progressively worse every week, not better.

Up until a year ago this would have been a glowing review of a great company, sure it had its issues, but so does every company.

Now internal politics and restructuring is making so many associates life's stressful and difficult. Hours are getting longer yet output is getting less considered. We rush from fighting one fire to the next, this was a great company to work for and will hopefully be again, but please stop ignoring the issues you have caused with the restructure.

TK-Maxx

I have been working at T.K. Maxx

Pros

Good work atmosphere, co-workers always willing to help

Cons

Management can be difficult, have to be super flexible

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Llantrisant, Rhondda Cynon Taff, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Llantrisant, Rhondda Cynon Taff, Wales (UK)

I have been working at T.K. Maxx part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

some great stock and always a chance to climb the corporate ladder

Cons

Timelines for certain tasks are way off and need to looked at

better training and more opportunities to get higher up the corporate ladder faster

Worked for T.K. Maxx? Contribute to the Community!