T-Mobile

Updated January 30, 2015
3.6

T-Mobile CEO John Legere
John Legere

Pros
  • Very relaxed and laid back company to work at so there is a great work-life balance (in 117 reviews)

• The company over all treats their employees very well with great benefits even at a part time level (in 319 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance in my role is hard because of the region I support (in 64 reviews)

• Unrealistic expectations and lots of unnecessary tasks requested by upper management (in 98 reviews)

More Highlights

48 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Great company to work for overall.

Former Employee - Retail Associate Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Associate Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at T-Mobile full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Growing company. Great benefits. Good pay (commission for retail sales). Employee recognition. Work with your family/school schedule. Advance opportunity.

Cons

Always changing pay structure for commission. Different metric focus every month. Have to work weekends and evening to make money.

Always do what is right for the customer even if it'll affect your metrics.
    Stay consistent with the goals. Keep it simple and the same month after month.
    Continue keeping your employees happy.

Retail Sales Associate

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at T-Mobile full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Work Life Balance, Flexible Scheduling, great opportunity to make a good commissions check. Now they have a more relaxed dress code that includes jeans an T-Shirt.

Cons

Working here means you have little to no weekends. Holiday hours can be a pain. Sometimes management doesn't have a clue on what is going on. District managers are the worst, do not care about the associates at all only want them to produce numbers or get out.

Figure out what your employees need from you to succeed, don't just push customers out of the store who have issues.

One of the best places to work at. Great benefits and compensation.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at T-Mobile full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good commission structure. Great health and phone benefits. Lots of paid time off. Good opportunities to move up.

Cons

Systems are extremely slow at times and the software is full of issues. They keep updating it but it only seems to get worse. Stock from customer care & online orders is different from in store stock so it's hard to interact with the 2. While there are great advancement opportunities, sometimes it's a game of politics and who knows who. (As in most places I'm sure).

Please hire smart. So tired of seeing managers get hired with little or no experience. Or others promoted because the DM knew them when there is so much qualified tenured talent.

Lacking in leadership

Former Employee - RSA in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - RSA in Chicago, IL

I worked at T-Mobile part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Keeping up with latest Tech, Benefits

Cons

Very Micro Managed ie. Regional Manager daily emails to store employees, changing commission structure, work compared to district and regional employees

T-mobile has way too many stores and now they are opening Metro PCS Stores very close to T-mobile Stores but still expect their employees to maintain new activation, Not allowing TPR stores withing 10 miles of a corporate store.

Face to face customer service, product knowledge, goals have to made by the end of the month.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at T-Mobile full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interaction with different customers from different places and backgrounds. Having the opportunity to help customers with their cellular needs successfully so that they would feel comfortable about referring you to other potential customers. Making goals was a great feeling of accomplishment.

Cons

The frustrations of not meeting sales goals during slow months or just months when I've only missed goals by one or two sales.

I believe that sale goals have to be adjusted monthly according to business because and hours worked because some months the store revenue isn't as high as previous months and that should be factored into sale goals at the end of the month so that adjustments can be made. I also believe that hours worked should play a big role in setting goals because I shouldn't be expected to make the same goals in a 20 hour week that I make in a 30 hour week and if I'm on vacation for 5 days out of month that should be considered.

Disjointed, understaffed, and misdirected.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at T-Mobile full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some managers are very good, benefits are good.

Cons

HQ is clueless, and micromanages their micromanagement - leaving little time to work.

Stop micro-managing adults like children - you'll get MUCH better results. There are way too many fire-drills, and priorities shift almost hourly. Roll up your sleeves and actually DO some of the work to understand what it takes - instead of just criticizing it.

Retail Sales Leader

Current Employee - Retail Sales Leader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Leader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at T-Mobile full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, competitive pay, great vacation time and innovative company.

Cons

It's difficult, even with commission, to make more than a certain amount at each position.

Give the middle management more opportunity for advancement and more incentive with better commission opportunities.

Flexible hours

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at T-Mobile full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You make the best of your experience

Cons

Falling market share against AT&T and Verizon

Store Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at T-Mobile full-time

Pros

Great retail "in store" environment. Other employees in other departments are very open to collaborating to make things happen...New CEO appears to be taking things in a new direction. Hopefully that can trickle down to mid-management,

Cons

Lack of sense of direction. The company is not sure who they are. A person has to work there an eternity in order to get promoted. Lack of focus on building bench internally.

Focus on what is important. Balloons are not important! Diversity is important!

Not bad.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at T-Mobile part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great commission and bonuses available. Nice employee plans for phones with unlimited everything. Makes you think on your feet at all times.

Cons

Managers seem to suffer from a god complex and act as if their job is curing cancer. Pretty standard with retail jobs.

Your management team needs to be approachable and my current management team is the exact opposite. Customers complain about their attitudes constantly. We get it, it's sales, but lighten up!