T-Mobile

3.6
2,151 Reviews

T-Mobile CEO John Legere
John Legere

Pros
  • A pretty good work life balance and a comfortable place to work (in 101 reviews)

• Great benefits opportunity to grow and make alot of money in commission in the right store (in 282 reviews)

Cons
  • I work on-call shifts, so I wish there was a more creative way to handle work/life balance (in 53 reviews)

• Upper management motivation techniques are terrible in some areas (in 85 reviews)

More Highlights

Best, most flexible company to work for

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Denver, CO

Pros

Commission is the best, if you try you make money, if you slack you still make money, best mobile company and customers know it.

Cons

the commission has gone down a bit from before.

Management is great, if its bad, its really bad.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  Flushing, NY
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Flushing, NY

Pros

Pay is great for a part-time position as long as you meet quota. Great for students, not for long-term employment. End pay was approx. $38,000 for high volume retail location but that was after exceeding quota all year long.

Cons

Upper management is downright rude and demeaning. Although most of the work life problems occur in call centers, retail stores feel the pain too because upper management has never experienced the stress in the front-end environment.

Promote from within so upper management will know how lower level employees feel and understand their struggles at the workplace. It doesn't help when you have upper management who think sales is easy. It's not. It's a lot of work and stress.

Make quotas reasonable. A low volume location is not going to get 50 activations per sales associate.

Changed my life.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Rochester, MN

Pros

Great benefits and pay! Commission keeps you motivated and makes working fun. Very friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Very few opportunities for advancement within the company.

Hiring from within keeps employees from moving on to other jobs.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's a good additional job

Current Employee - RSA  in  Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - RSA in Dayton, OH

Pros

I like working at T-Mobile. The pressure of meeting goal can be stressful but that's the case for any commission-based occupation. The benefits are nice, most holidays including more minor ones (like July 4 and Labor Day I believe) are considered holiday pay. You get a chance to win things not just from T-Mobile but from major companies like Samsung and LG. The best part for me is the employee discount otherwise I don't think I could afford the luxuries of my phone service. A lot of people mention things about leadership but it really depends on your individual stores. Some managers care more than others and some managers are more strict than others.

Cons

The only complaint I have is the company policy when you can't meet goal/quota for the month. Sometimes you really can't help it no matter how good of a sales person you are (due to low traffic volume or bad luck like getting all the troubleshoot/bill pays while others have activations/sales walk right into them). My coworkers and I have all had those months where one or two a year like that. T-Mobile leadership will put you through a correctional course, so to speak, where the manager will monitor you and essentially apply more pressure on you. My boss was really nice about it but it was just something he had to do whenever we didn't meet quota.

Great company to work for short or long term.

Pros

The job has great pay, benefits, and time flexibility.

Cons

Some leadership is very respectful of your time and help you succeed while at other times other leadership may put personal feelings above overall success.

Higher management please ensure that floor leads are professional at least to the point not to offend sales staff.

It's great to be unCarrier!

Current Employee - Manager, Segment Marketing  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Manager, Segment Marketing in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Fun and innovative culture, smart people, great work-life balance, strong values that influence decisions not just PR.

Cons

Often chaotic, leadership can be impulsive and arbitrary at times, still have to deal with typical big company bureaucracy, some uncertainty related to merger/acquisition rumors.

Continue striving to be "unCarrier" on the inside, not just to the public!

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Wonderful pay and employee discounts to movies, amusement parks, hotels/flights, and even tuition reimbursement! For any high school graduate or newly admitted undergrad, this is a dream come true job. You have extremely flexible hours and the commission pay is great!

Cons

Keep in mind that although your hourly pay is more than over minimum wage, most new hires get stuck with part-time jobs. So selling is the only way you'll really see an improvement on your paycheck. Also, as much as they mean well managers tend to really only care about whether or not you're hitting your goal numbers. Customer service quality isn't really measured at the store level.

I understand that you have a boss that's constantly down your neck but try relating to associates one by one. Constructive criticism is key.

Pretty Good Part-time Job

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Pretty relaxed place to work if you meet your quota. They had a pretty good employee discount plan plan when I worked there. $10 bill each month and discount phones.

Cons

The upper management are idiots. But as long as you had a cool store manager your good.

If you love technology, this is the place for you!

Current Employee - Store Operations Associate  in  Mount Pleasant, SC
    Current Employee - Store Operations Associate in Mount Pleasant, SC

Pros

Everything is pretty straightforward. Once you get hired, you go to a 2 week training session in your area. You work 9-5 both weeks for 5 days, Monday-Friday. You have to learn the basic values of the company (which I believe to be excellent), what your job is and how to do your job the right way, and also some miscellaneous stuff like how to deal with certain emergencies. Training is really easy and then you get sent to your home store. Training continues but it's a lot more hands-on. Meet your team and your managers and decide how to work best with everyone. Blah blah blah

Starting pay is pretty good (over minimum wage) considering you may have worked for a different retailer before. All employees are eligible to receive monthly bonuses OR commission. For example, I'm a store ops associate. I don't sell phones or even deal with customers - I handle inventory. So I'm eligible for monthly bonuses. Sales reps get commission based on accessory sales and plan sales, no necessarily phone sales. Managers receive bonuses.
    As soon as you begin work, the company hits you up for creating a 401k with them, taking advantage of the benefits (health, dental, eye, emergencies, etc) and just basically how they can better serve you as an employee.

The company is completely customer and employee focused. Most companies don't care how you feel as long as you make the customers happy. T-Mobile cares about how you feel BEFORE you make the customer happy. Breaks are mandatory! Take a 30-min lunch if you work 5 hours and a 1 hr lunch if you work 7 or more and take 15 min breaks before and after lunch. If you're on your manager's good side and he/she really likes you as a person and not just how good you work, you have a much higher chance of moving up pretty quickly. Also they have a portal on your desktop where if you forget how to do something, you can look it up and they have instructions. You also get paid by the minute, not by the quarter hour. So if you have the day off but there's a conference call you need to attend, you can watch it from home but you have to log that time in when you get back to work. Basically anything you do that is T-Mobile related, you can get paid for.

I've only worked there for over a month and my manger's already talking about moving me to a sales rep position.

Cons

Although all of the computer systems are somehow intertwined, there's a different way to do everything. It can be a little frustrating trying to memorize all the steps to get one thing done versus another. In my position, there is almost always a time constraint as well so you have be quick but efficient. Also T-Mobile loathes employees who are not on time. Be sure to get there about 10 minutes before your shift starts just to give you time to clock in. The computers are really slow most of the time which is an annoyance.

I know requests come in all day everyday for SAP accounts but you guys really need to set those priorities as high because most of us won't get access until 6 months after we started.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  Greenville, NC
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Greenville, NC

Pros

Great associates to work with, paid time off, tuition reimbursement, promotes individuality.

Cons

Poor management, ridiculous expectations.

Managers are constantly told to help their sales reps and hardly ever actually do. Also a lot of their responsibilities are delighted to reps without any opportunity for promotion so doing these tasks prove no point for reps.

Worked for T-Mobile? Contribute to the Community!