T. Rowe Price

Updated September 2, 2014
3.5

T. Rowe Price President, CEO, and Director James A. C. Kennedy
James A. C. Kennedy

Pros
  • Very people friendly company, with good work/life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Great benefits and comfortable work environment (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Career opportunities in Colorado Springs were limited to call center management (in 14 reviews)

• Impact to ability to have appropriate work life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Pure Hell but take the job for a few years if you need it

Current Employee - Retail Account Management  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Retail Account Management in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fair benefits, bonus until they try to get someone to quit which means people who did their jobs find all of a sudden don't.

Cons

Career track for a few. Your supervisors will be young and inexperienced in life, your job and will do anything to cover their backs to stay in management track including having members of their team take the heat. You will constantly have to ask for permissions for same things over and over again which irritates some supervisors who don't bother reading the manual. If you are not good at networking or brown-nosing this is not the job for life for you.

Give credit where it is due with raises and not with just the "card" system for ideas you make money off of. Listen more and in meetings don't put down average investors if you mean World Class service.

Micro Management at its finest!

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay for your licensing to work for a decent company.

Cons

Management is awful, salary not competitive, scheduling is a joke. Training sets the expectations bar high, but the actual standard is abysmally low.

This is a professional company with adults working for you. Let them do their jobs and support, not babysit.

My experience was good for a couple of years and bad the last six months of employment.

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  Owings Mills, MD
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Owings Mills, MD

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company has excellent benefits for the employees which include healthcare, company match 401k plan, stock options and vacation. The pay scale is above average.

Cons

Most of the promotions are within a click of people groups and not based on your experience.

Promote qualified people and not friends.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Avoid the SF office as a contracted Administrative Assistant

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at T. Rowe Price as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

They are well known within their industry. Located in the San Francisco Financial District close to public transportation.

Cons

It was a running joke with the current administrative assistants (2) in SF; as TRP tends to hire temporary 90 day contracted staff and then terminate the contact without a job offer. They witnessed many contract workers come and go over the years for the same position. They discourage any and all overtime and HR violates CA Labor Law practices as one of their admins shared how she had to fight for her overtime pay for a few years. This office is neglected by supervisors located in Baltimore and although they claim they care but they don’t. Most of the administrative staff (2) are over 55 and have dedicated a decade working for TRP. They don’t plan to leave due to their age but they did discouraged me on staying with all their stories about management and lack their of; it was depressing. The office is dark and not inviting at all. If you take a job here be prepared to have a back up plan after 90 days. As the headquarters are located in Baltimore there is absolutely no room for growth. No one takes initiative to do anything outside their job description be prepared to play the role of office manager as the current admin staff will take advantage of the new hire.

Don't provide positive bi-weekly reviews if you are not planning to hire the individual. After 30 days you should know whether to continue the contract or find someone else as livelihoods are at stake and a waste of time for your managers and placement agencies. Provide good training for new administrative staff as disgruntle workers don't make the best trainers.

It was a horrific experience...glad the journey lasted less than a year!

Former Employee - Participant Service Associate  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Participant Service Associate in Tampa, FL

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company provides decent benefits. Good training. Opportunities are available to study while you work and get your securities licenses.

Cons

No matter how much prior experience you have, they have you begin from an entry level position. They talk about a "culture" that began over 75 years ago...which they still live in, and want to mold you into that same culture. You're forced to work MANDATORY overtime and do not disclose this during your interview. Inconsistent schedule.

Think outside box. Individuals that are not "people person" perhaps should not be managing people.

What's wrong with me now is absolutely correct

Current Employee - Retirement Specialist - In Plan  in  Owings Mills, MD
    Current Employee - Retirement Specialist - In Plan in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time for more than a year

Pros

recession proof employment, unless the market were to dive like in 2008 you'll pretty much always have this job as long as you can tolerate it

Cons

EVERYTHING - the writer who posted "what's wrong with me now" got it spot on ! ....In PSC we are constantly micromanaged!. There are only two types of employees at TRowe; those who are under the bus, and those who are constantly throwing you under it. The only incentive to hit numbers and meet metrics is so you can stay out of trouble, but given that all mistakes are blamed on the front line customer facing phone reps that's pretty next to impossible. Supervisors are a special kind of absent, when they are around they are too busy to help you, but instead will sit at their computers and stalk your online activity. The only thing that matters to anyone with a title is answering as many calls as possible, not that they would actually log in and assist with that effort. This is all they know. When it comes to solving problems you will dismissed and told to ask someone else. It''s bad. General managers - another very elusive bunch. Not accessbile, not accountable, not concerned with the welfare or morale of the workforce that takes the brunt of all the stress both externally from clients or the ridiculous demands forced upon us. If you like "don't question a thing" dictatorship style management you've found the place. If you want to be valued for your work and compensated fairly seriously reconsider working here. You will regret it.

What can really be said that you'll actually do anything about ? How about hiring Gallup to anonymously poll your employees in the participant service center - now there's some advice ! I dare you --- while you're at it,, enough with mandatory overtime no one wants - stop it. We're worn out, burned out, exhausted !

What's wrong with me, now?

Former Employee - Investment Specialist  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Investment Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits, but not as good as they used to be.

Cons

STRESS factory. The place, literally, made me sick!

Get some training, middle managers, on how to avoid group-think. Also, tell your GMs not to lie about policies when questioned by floor reps, thus throwing them under the bus with DMs I'd love to name names, but T Rowe would probably file suit. It's gotten worse, from what other former employees tell me. I'd never recommend T Rowe to anyone as an employer--except as a stepping stone to better things. I'd advise newbies to let T Rowe pay for their licenses, and then JUMP SHIP!

Couldn't leave fast enough

Former Employee - Investment Specialist
    Former Employee - Investment Specialist

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Co-workers, You learn a lot about personal finance

Cons

Working in a call center is hard no matter where you are but the environment that this company has created has contributed to more than 20% of the Sales department leaving in the last 6 months. You are over worked and under valued. The micro management is so extreme I've heard someone coached to sit up straighter. You clock in and clock out and every single minute of your day is monitored. There is NO work/life balance. You will have to work weekends and don't even think about getting time off unless you ask 2/3 months in advance. I worked there through 3 holiday seasons and never once got off Christmas Eve or Black Friday off through their "lottery" system. Middle management is rampant with some of the most incompetent people I've met in the industry and like stated in previous posts is very political. Bonus' are not competitive and don't expect a pay increase of more than 2%. There is very little opportunity for advancement outside of a call center position if that is where you started. It doesn't help that they just closed almost all of their branches. Overall I would not recommend staying at this company for my longer than a year.

This is to the GMs and the DMs. You NEED to value your employees more. You're losing your most talented employees and hiring less qualified less intelligent people to talk on the phones. Do you see the problem, especially since you decided to have this be the only venue for investors? Your hiring people that can't even obtain their licenses. Focus more on retention of EMPLOYEES not just investors. Also if you really expect USM to work you better start loosening your pockets. How can you honestly expect an employee to do 4x the work for a $1000 pay increase?

Associate

I have been working at T. Rowe Price for more than 3 years

Pros

very good benefits, good foundation for understanding the financial world

Cons

Extremely long hours and your salary is horrible. When you have overtime everyday of the week plus coming in early a couple times a week it demoralizes you and kills the morale of an already understaffed team. Associates aren't valued and are seen as interchangeable parts. We've had 5 people from our team leave the company in the last five months. Extremely micro-managed as well.

Pay your employees more money. You can't say your salary is "competetive" when other companies are paying their employees 10k plus for similiar work. Examine why people are leaving the company and see what they can do to prevent that happening in the future. If you pay your employees more and cut down on the overtime, I can guarentee you the morale would be much better on the floor. Don't also send out emails saying how appreciative you are of everyone's hard work and as a reward you can have a jeans day on such and such day. It's beyond embarrasing. We're not in fifth grade.

State Government but without the frills

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Plenty of nice hard working people in the production roles.
    You can depend on the people you work with, because if they couldn't produce they would have been forced out a long time ago.
    Free Folgers in the break room.

Cons

Way too many layers of management.
    Limited people in production roles with supervisors, managers, business unit heads over them contributing little.
    Spends millions on consultants that provide no value, only suggestions for the future initiatives that never happen.
    Limited room for growth, very conservative with adding new positions.
    Very big on watered down job descriptions that immediately expand once you start, though which are never updated to reflect the new work.
    You can work your way from the bottom to the middle, but any position above that they are going to look to hire from the outside. If you are coming from the outside, look to make 20-30% more then your peers in the same roles (good for you though).

I have seen countless smart and hardworking people leave because the comp is so lacking compared to industry peers. You would rather have a person spend 1-2 years learning a new role then pay somebody who knows it inside and out the 2-3k to stay.
    You used to fire back the "great benefits pitch" but now you have taken all of them away.

Worked for T. Rowe Price? Contribute to the Community!