T. Rowe Price Reviews

321 reviews filtered by
3.7
T. Rowe Price President, CEO, and Director James A. C. Kennedy
James A. C. Kennedy

Pros
  • The company offers great work life balance, benefits, stock purchasing, etc (in 25 reviews)

• Great benefits and comfortable work environment (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • headset policy is cumbersome, even for a call center) (in 15 reviews)

• Impact to ability to have appropriate work life balance (in 6 reviews)

Absolutely Atrocious Experience

Former Contractor - Help Desk Analyst in Owings Mills, MD
    Former Contractor - Help Desk Analyst in Owings Mills, MD

I worked at T. Rowe Price as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

*My colleagues who busted their butts every day with me.
    *Nice modern facility
    *Nice employee lounge
    *Good salary & benefits
    *Safe & secure facility

Cons

Where do I begin? I worked as a help desk representative on a contractual basis. I took the job because of what seemed to be limitless potential for advancement. TRP is HUGE, and their IT department is quite large and structured. I was, in my opinion, one of the better help desk reps they had. A lot of people commended me for my service and skills. I did everything I was asked to do with no complaints, and I did a darn good job. I worked my butt off every day, on the phone non stop, dealing with cranky callers all the time, and I didn't get as much as a single opportunity to take on more responsibilities and grow as an employee. Other people who started at the same time or after me got opportunity, but not me. The reason was because there were cliques, and I wasn't part of that. The leaders of the clique recommended people to promote.

Aside from unfair promotional practices, not one of my direct supervisors (there were 3-4 of them) had a technical background. They were just "managers" which I guess is normal in the corporate world. They were slave drivers though. The whole help desk team (it was huge) were ridiculously busy, inundated with calls all day long from start to finish. Breaks and lunches were strictly scheduled and enforced. Vacation scheduling was insane. The calendar filled up really fast, and if you don't get in when you want to take off, you're screwed. During tax season, management forced us to work overtime even when it wasn't even busy enough to warrant overtime. We had no choice but to work the overtime and it was a waste of time and our personal lives.

Hire more help desk staff so that the people doing the job aren't so stressed out, burned out, unhappy, and unappreciated. Reward employees more, pay them more, and promote people based on performance, not who they are. The best way to develop a company is promoted people who deserve it, and who perform at a high level. The help desk department is poorly managed. It's garbage.

2. Non-transparent, manipulative, good-ol-boys.

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ok pay, decent benefits. Lots of free lunch. Free wifi. Large parking lot. Beautiful views. Shopping nearby. White noise pumped into the center. Air conditioning. Heating.

Cons

This is a call center. Lots of new college grads. Lots of gossip. Lots of immaturity. The work is mundane and repetitive. You need to be good at playing the game, for many things all you need to do is have your supervisor like you, I would say to do it by any means necessary. I must say that the supervisors and managers have a good game face; everything is appropriate on face value - but don't be alarmed if you get a very well worded, "That's the way it is, back to your seat."

When you hire people from college how do you determine that they are professional and mature? The interview process is as phony as it gets. People have to be taught or shown how to behave. The hr department could use some work, I had several issues and I was told to take care of it myself. To my supervisor?! My Manager?! The people I was referred to were my direct supervisors and the source of my issues. What is the function of HR?

Run don't walk

Current Employee - Project Lead in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Project Lead in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at T. Rowe Price

Pros

Free parking, Nice view, Large conference rooms

Cons

Management does not listen to your concerns. Salary is consideravly low compared to other companies in the same industry.

Be fair across the board.

Very Disappointing

Current Employee - Project Manager in Owings Mills, MD
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    Many very nice people to work with

Cons

Management in many business areas consists of clicks of like minded people that do not recognize those outside the click as having any value. This results in many single-minded decisions made in a vacuum. It also results in poor management perpetuating itself.
    Leadership is largely absent in many areas. Leaders focus on their own career goals and make no attempt to get to know those who report to them or learn what experience or strengths they already possess.
    In the business areas I am familiar with, there is no concern or effort expended by management to solicit career goals, develop skills or utilize existing skills.
    Producing consistently great results only serves to advance the manager's career goals. There is little or no reward for consistently achieving outstanding results and reviews
    Although T. Rowe as a company is ethical, many managers are not.

Do 360 reviews on all managers at all levels. Don't sugar-coat the results by just moving managers around. Be truly committed to making T Rowe a well managed company at all levels.

6. Pure Hell but take the job for a few years if you need it

Current Employee - Retail Account Management in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Retail Account Management in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fair benefits, bonus until they try to get someone to quit which means people who did their jobs find all of a sudden don't.

Cons

Career track for a few. Your supervisors will be young and inexperienced in life, your job and will do anything to cover their backs to stay in management track including having members of their team take the heat. You will constantly have to ask for permissions for same things over and over again which irritates some supervisors who don't bother reading the manual. If you are not good at networking or brown-nosing this is not the job for life for you.

Give credit where it is due with raises and not with just the "card" system for ideas you make money off of. Listen more and in meetings don't put down average investors if you mean World Class service.

7. Micro Management at its finest!

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay for your licensing to work for a decent company.

Cons

Management is awful, salary not competitive, scheduling is a joke. Training sets the expectations bar high, but the actual standard is abysmally low.

This is a professional company with adults working for you. Let them do their jobs and support, not babysit.

My experience was good for a couple of years and bad the last six months of employment.

Former Employee - Supervisor in Owings Mills, MD
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Owings Mills, MD

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has excellent benefits for the employees which include healthcare, company match 401k plan, stock options and vacation. The pay scale is above average.

Cons

Most of the promotions are within a click of people groups and not based on your experience.

Promote qualified people and not friends.

Avoid the SF office as a contracted Administrative Assistant

Former Contractor - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at T. Rowe Price as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

They are well known within their industry. Located in the San Francisco Financial District close to public transportation.

Cons

It was a running joke with the current administrative assistants (2) in SF; as TRP tends to hire temporary 90 day contracted staff and then terminate the contact without a job offer. They witnessed many contract workers come and go over the years for the same position. They discourage any and all overtime and HR violates CA Labor Law practices as one of their admins shared how she had to fight for her overtime pay for a few years. This office is neglected by supervisors located in Baltimore and although they claim they care but they don’t. Most of the administrative staff (2) are over 55 and have dedicated a decade working for TRP. They don’t plan to leave due to their age but they did discouraged me on staying with all their stories about management and lack their of; it was depressing. The office is dark and not inviting at all. If you take a job here be prepared to have a back up plan after 90 days. As the headquarters are located in Baltimore there is absolutely no room for growth. No one takes initiative to do anything outside their job description be prepared to play the role of office manager as the current admin staff will take advantage of the new hire.

Don't provide positive bi-weekly reviews if you are not planning to hire the individual. After 30 days you should know whether to continue the contract or find someone else as livelihoods are at stake and a waste of time for your managers and placement agencies. Provide good training for new administrative staff as disgruntle workers don't make the best trainers.

10. It was a horrific experience...glad the journey lasted less than a year!

Former Employee - Participant Service Associate in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Participant Service Associate in Tampa, FL

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company provides decent benefits. Good training. Opportunities are available to study while you work and get your securities licenses.

Cons

No matter how much prior experience you have, they have you begin from an entry level position. They talk about a "culture" that began over 75 years ago...which they still live in, and want to mold you into that same culture. You're forced to work MANDATORY overtime and do not disclose this during your interview. Inconsistent schedule.

Think outside box. Individuals that are not "people person" perhaps should not be managing people.

What's wrong with me now is absolutely correct

Current Employee - Retirement Specialist - In Plan in Owings Mills, MD
    Current Employee - Retirement Specialist - In Plan in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time (more than a year)

Pros

recession proof employment, unless the market were to dive like in 2008 you'll pretty much always have this job as long as you can tolerate it

Cons

EVERYTHING - the writer who posted "what's wrong with me now" got it spot on ! ....In PSC we are constantly micromanaged!. There are only two types of employees at TRowe; those who are under the bus, and those who are constantly throwing you under it. The only incentive to hit numbers and meet metrics is so you can stay out of trouble, but given that all mistakes are blamed on the front line customer facing phone reps that's pretty next to impossible. Supervisors are a special kind of absent, when they are around they are too busy to help you, but instead will sit at their computers and stalk your online activity. The only thing that matters to anyone with a title is answering as many calls as possible, not that they would actually log in and assist with that effort. This is all they know. When it comes to solving problems you will dismissed and told to ask someone else. It''s bad. General managers - another very elusive bunch. Not accessbile, not accountable, not concerned with the welfare or morale of the workforce that takes the brunt of all the stress both externally from clients or the ridiculous demands forced upon us. If you like "don't question a thing" dictatorship style management you've found the place. If you want to be valued for your work and compensated fairly seriously reconsider working here. You will regret it.

What can really be said that you'll actually do anything about ? How about hiring Gallup to anonymously poll your employees in the participant service center - now there's some advice ! I dare you --- while you're at it,, enough with mandatory overtime no one wants - stop it. We're worn out, burned out, exhausted !