T. Rowe Price Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Associate

I have been working at T. Rowe Price (More than 3 years)

Pros

very good benefits, good foundation for understanding the financial world

Cons

Extremely long hours and your salary is horrible. When you have overtime everyday of the week plus coming in early a couple times a week it demoralizes you and kills the morale of an already understaffed team. Associates aren't valued and are seen as interchangeable parts. We've had 5 people from our team leave the company in the last five months. Extremely micro-managed as well.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more money. You can't say your salary is "competetive" when other companies are paying their employees 10k plus for similiar work. Examine why people are leaving the company and see what they can do to prevent that happening in the future. If you pay your employees more and cut down on the overtime, I can guarentee you the morale would be much better on the floor. Don't also send out emails saying how appreciative you are of everyone's hard work and as a reward you can have a jeans day on such and such day. It's beyond embarrasing. We're not in fifth grade.

Couldn't leave fast enough

Former Employee - Investment Specialist
    Former Employee - Investment Specialist

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers, You learn a lot about personal finance

Cons

Working in a call center is hard no matter where you are but the environment that this company has created has contributed to more than 20% of the Sales department leaving in the last 6 months. You are over worked and under valued. The micro management is so extreme I've heard someone coached to sit up straighter. You clock in and clock out and every single minute of your day is monitored. There is NO work/life balance. You will have to work weekends and don't even think about getting time off unless you ask 2/3 months in advance. I worked there through 3 holiday seasons and never once got off Christmas Eve or Black Friday off through their "lottery" system. Middle management is rampant with some of the most incompetent people I've met in the industry and like stated in previous posts is very political. Bonus' are not competitive and don't expect a pay increase of more than 2%. There is very little opportunity for advancement outside of a call center position if that is where you started. It doesn't help that they just closed almost all of their branches. Overall I would not recommend staying at this company for my longer than a year.

Advice to Management

This is to the GMs and the DMs. You NEED to value your employees more. You're losing your most talented employees and hiring less qualified less intelligent people to talk on the phones. Do you see the problem, especially since you decided to have this be the only venue for investors? Your hiring people that can't even obtain their licenses. Focus more on retention of EMPLOYEES not just investors. Also if you really expect USM to work you better start loosening your pockets. How can you honestly expect an employee to do 4x the work for a $1000 pay increase?

What's wrong with me, now?

Former Employee - Investment Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Investment Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, but not as good as they used to be.

Cons

STRESS factory. The place, literally, made me sick!

Advice to Management

Get some training, middle managers, on how to avoid group-think. Also, tell your GMs not to lie about policies when questioned by floor reps, thus throwing them under the bus with DMs I'd love to name names, but T Rowe would probably file suit. It's gotten worse, from what other former employees tell me. I'd never recommend T Rowe to anyone as an employer--except as a stepping stone to better things. I'd advise newbies to let T Rowe pay for their licenses, and then JUMP SHIP!

What's wrong with me now is absolutely correct

Current Employee - Retirement Specialist - In Plan in Owings Mills, MD
    Current Employee - Retirement Specialist - In Plan in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time (More than a year)

Pros

recession proof employment, unless the market were to dive like in 2008 you'll pretty much always have this job as long as you can tolerate it

Cons

EVERYTHING - the writer who posted "what's wrong with me now" got it spot on ! ....In PSC we are constantly micromanaged!. There are only two types of employees at TRowe; those who are under the bus, and those who are constantly throwing you under it. The only incentive to hit numbers and meet metrics is so you can stay out of trouble, but given that all mistakes are blamed on the front line customer facing phone reps that's pretty next to impossible. Supervisors are a special kind of absent, when they are around they are too busy to help you, but instead will sit at their computers and stalk your online activity. The only thing that matters to anyone with a title is answering as many calls as possible, not that they would actually log in and assist with that effort. This is all they know. When it comes to solving problems you will dismissed and told to ask someone else. It''s bad. General managers - another very elusive bunch. Not accessbile, not accountable, not concerned with the welfare or morale of the workforce that takes the brunt of all the stress both externally from clients or the ridiculous demands forced upon us. If you like "don't question a thing" dictatorship style management you've found the place. If you want to be valued for your work and compensated fairly seriously reconsider working here. You will regret it.

Advice to Management

What can really be said that you'll actually do anything about ? How about hiring Gallup to anonymously poll your employees in the participant service center - now there's some advice ! I dare you --- while you're at it,, enough with mandatory overtime no one wants - stop it. We're worn out, burned out, exhausted !

6. It was a horrific experience...glad the journey lasted less than a year!

Former Employee - Participant Service Associate in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Participant Service Associate in Tampa, FL

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company provides decent benefits. Good training. Opportunities are available to study while you work and get your securities licenses.

Cons

No matter how much prior experience you have, they have you begin from an entry level position. They talk about a "culture" that began over 75 years ago...which they still live in, and want to mold you into that same culture. You're forced to work MANDATORY overtime and do not disclose this during your interview. Inconsistent schedule.

Advice to Management

Think outside box. Individuals that are not "people person" perhaps should not be managing people.

My experience was good for a couple of years and bad the last six months of employment.

Former Employee - Supervisor in Owings Mills, MD
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Owings Mills, MD

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has excellent benefits for the employees which include healthcare, company match 401k plan, stock options and vacation. The pay scale is above average.

Cons

Most of the promotions are within a click of people groups and not based on your experience.

Advice to Management

Promote qualified people and not friends.

Micro Management at its finest!

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay for your licensing to work for a decent company.

Cons

Management is awful, salary not competitive, scheduling is a joke. Training sets the expectations bar high, but the actual standard is abysmally low.

Advice to Management

This is a professional company with adults working for you. Let them do their jobs and support, not babysit.

Pure Hell but take the job for a few years if you need it

Current Employee - Retail Account Management in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Retail Account Management in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fair benefits, bonus until they try to get someone to quit which means people who did their jobs find all of a sudden don't.

Cons

Career track for a few. Your supervisors will be young and inexperienced in life, your job and will do anything to cover their backs to stay in management track including having members of their team take the heat. You will constantly have to ask for permissions for same things over and over again which irritates some supervisors who don't bother reading the manual. If you are not good at networking or brown-nosing this is not the job for life for you.

Advice to Management

Give credit where it is due with raises and not with just the "card" system for ideas you make money off of. Listen more and in meetings don't put down average investors if you mean World Class service.

Very Disappointing

Current Employee - Project Manager in Owings Mills, MD
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits Many very nice people to work with

Cons

Management in many business areas consists of clicks of like minded people that do not recognize those outside the click as having any value. This results in many single-minded decisions made in a vacuum. It also results in poor management perpetuating itself. Leadership is largely absent in many areas. Leaders focus on their own career goals and make no attempt to get to know those who report to them or learn what experience or strengths they already possess. In the business areas I am familiar with, there is no concern or effort expended by management to solicit career goals, develop skills or utilize existing skills. Producing consistently great results only serves to advance the manager's career goals. There is little or no reward for consistently achieving outstanding results and reviews Although T. Rowe as a company is ethical, many managers are not.

Advice to Management

Do 360 reviews on all managers at all levels. Don't sugar-coat the results by just moving managers around. Be truly committed to making T Rowe a well managed company at all levels.

Run don't walk

Current Employee - Project Lead in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Project Lead in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Free parking, Nice view, Large conference rooms

Cons

Management does not listen to your concerns. Salary is consideravly low compared to other companies in the same industry.

Advice to Management

Be fair across the board.

RSS Feed </> Embed