T. Rowe Price

T. Rowe Price Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

T. Rowe Price President, CEO, and Director James A. C. Kennedy

James A. C. Kennedy

Pros
  • Very people friendly company, with good work/life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Great benefits and comfortable work environment (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Career opportunities in Colorado Springs were limited to call center management (in 14 reviews)

• Impact to ability to have appropriate work life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Associate Analyst in Equity Research

Prosgreat corporate access. lots of potential to grow, great support from management. great opportunities to gain responsibility and pick up companies in portfolios

Consa little difficult to actually claim responsibility, very political culture, baltimore sucks, very beaurocratic difficult to manage levels

Micro Management at its finest!

ProsPay for your licensing to work for a decent company.

ConsManagement is awful, salary not competitive, scheduling is a joke. Training sets the expectations bar high, but the actual standard is abysmally low.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a professional company with adults working for you. Let them do their jobs and support, not babysit.

Nice people, but not very effective

ProsGood reputation as an investment management company.

ConsMost employees have been there a very long time and do not have experience outside the company. While that can be good to maintain "culture", it can also be stagnating and cliquish. Outside thoughts and experience are not always well-received or appreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the legacy employees who got to where they are because of the length of time they have been employed, not their performance. Those who think it is all about being "nice" are just allowing under-performers to keep their jobs and are not meeting the company's objectives.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company, good atmoshpere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTraining is done well, A lot of focus on employee development, Good benefits overall.

ConsSlow moving, and pay is below competitors.

Good place to start a career and learn the business. Too much focus on race

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsI started here out of college and have worked both in Owings Mills and in Baltimore. It is a great place to work, especially if you are starting out. Even though it is a big company it really feels like a family and the culture is great.

ConsThere is a lot of focus on race and ethnicity at this company and it has gotten worse over the last few years. There are efforts to boost the number of minorities with management even admitting that they are willing to go into bidding wars with their competitors for minority job applicants. While I'm sure it is well intentioned, If you are a minority in this company you feel like you are just there because of your skin color. Unfortunately other employees begin to become suspicious that you only got the job because of your skin and otherwise aren't capable. This focus on race is racist and needs to stop. Aside from this it is a good company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the focus on race and ethnicity. We should be hiring people based on how well they will do the job, not to fill a quota. At the end of the day what matters is whether or not the person has good ideas. As MLK famously said, "Judge a man by his character and not by the color of his skin."

Decent Company Overall but a few downfalls

Retirement Plan Coordinator (Current Employee) Owings Mills, MD

ProsGreat 401k, ESOP, fun events, You learn a lot about conducting business in the corporate world.

ConsVery high stress levels and high levels of accountability with low pay, LOTS of favoritism, Lots of cliques, No real advancement opportunities just lateral moves between departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate career ladders and do what it takes to assist the employees in growing and climbing their ladder. Stop promoting based on favorite pics or cliques and promote based on work performance alone.

Very enriching and friendly environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Owings Mills, MD

ProsMentorship is very important to T. Rowe Price. I was immediately welcomed and treated as a member of the existing team, rather than an outsider or new employee. Everyone is very understanding, forgiving, and welcoming.

ConsI don't really have any cons. I was not as fond of my supervisor as I would have liked, but technically I can't say anything wrong about the individual or the company.

Great place to work, put in the time!

ProsA great place to work, though sometimes you need to put some time in first before finding the best fit for you. Don't be discouraged if you are starting on the phones and feeling a little micromanaged. A lot of associates start on the phones and work their way up to bigger and better. The common denominator of those who "make it out" alive is the fact that they take ownership of their careers. The phones are a way in to a firm that offers you all sorts of opportunities, inside and outside of the world of finance.

The benefits are great, 401(k) match one of the best, ESPP a nice perk and if used effectively, can help you to save up the remaining 25% that the firm doesn't reimburse for tuition (if math isn't your strong suit... they reimburse 75%).

ConsEveryone knows the pay scale is on the conservative side...
    Downtown atmosphere can be a little stuffy but Owings Mills atmosphere can feel quite like a college campus at times. Pick what you feel is the lesser of the two evils.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage associates to take control of their careers, allow time for job shadows and info gathering to entry level associates. Be cognizant of the challenges associates deal with while working in call centers, and don't promote power hungry senior reps into management positions they might not be ready for.

Retirement Plan COordinator

Retirement Plan Coordinator (Former Employee) Owings Mills, MD

ProsNice clients and good team mates. Lots of resources online to help you with the job and systems are user friendly.sometimes there are fun events for the employees.

Consit is understaffed and turnover is high. this has caused lots of unhappy clients who hate workign with new people. the pay is too low considering the level of responsibility/

Advice to Senior Managementplease pay more and hire more people.

good place to start

Prostraining, resume builder, generous 401k plan, generous paid parental leave for birth of child

Conslimited growth, small bonuses, favortism is very apparent, job is not stable

Worked for T. Rowe Price? Contribute to the Community!