TALX

Bill Canfield

Good Company, Cold Culture, Not Much Work Excitement

Intern (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsMost people I worked with and dealt with on a day to day basis were pretty friendly.

I've heard the pay was good for full-time employees and the benefits seemed competitive (I was intern).

Building is in a good area - relatively good array of places to eat nearby, near Westport, near other office buildings, and close to 270 if that's important to you. The building was also good compared to others I have seen an heard of (tad bit more open space and generally good facilities/working conditions).

Good place to gain professional business experience and learn about business in general

ConsSome poor management - My manager was never around, always working from home (which isn't an issue except no one in my group saw any work get done by the manager).

Cold culture - People weren't very outgoing/friendly in general, my guess for the average age is ~40, people didn't seem excited about their job in general. It just felt more professional and rigid than I prefer (but I prefer a bit more of a relaxed culture which is hard to maintain in a large company). Also, I remember my manager telling me several times how things "used to be" before TALX was bought by Equifax. They used to have BBQs or whatever and overall it seemed like a more fun place to work. Fun would not be a word I would use to describe working there so it concerned me what direction the company was going. Another example is the Holiday/Christmas Party which was a lunch offsite, during a work day, that lasted just barely over an hour...wow.

While I was there a co-worker in my group had to work so much overtime for a proposal. If I had to guess she probably worked at least 80-90 hours that week. After I left, my friend who works there had to work several 12-16 hour days to keep up with the workload (one person left the team and the manager didn't help out) I don't believe this is the norm, but it made me think that work/life balance might be a little off there.

Like most office work, much of the time it is boring

I agree with one reviewer who talked about silo'd departments, us vs them mentality, lack of standard processes throughout creating extra work for people trying to work together/use the same information. For example, the marketing group had wonderful graphics that they used for who knows what but my team sent out proposals to possible clients and we were using old graphics and mad up graphics because we weren't given access to the new graphics for some odd reason. Why wouldn't you want everyone to have access to sending out graphics that brag about the company?

Advice to Senior ManagementShow appreciation of employees more
    Push managers to be better (lead instead of boss people around there is a difference)
    Try and make work life a little more fun when possible
    Tell everyone they why, not only the what
    Be Supportive of your employees
    Listen to your employees

Bad place to be in inside sales

Regional Manager (Former Employee)

ProsCo-workers are generally helpful.
    Benefits are good.
    The office space is nice and centrally located.

ConsIf you're selling to companies with under 5000 employees, the team leadership is horrible. It is extremely controlling and a totally micro-managing. If you get on the "bad" list, life is miserable. There are favorites and everyone knows it. Training is almost non existent. No one has ever been able to move up to a field-based position, people either move down to a CRM position or they leave the company. It takes almost a full year to get your territory up and running. If you can survive the pressure and lack of money in year one, you can get paid in year two. I would not recommend coming here if you're going to be selling to the under 5000 employee space.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something about the leadership of the under 5000 team.

Decent company to work for

ProsNice bonuses. Very supportive of work/life balance.

ConsDifficult to advance. If you do happen to advance internally, they screw you on the salary for your new position.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great access to new technologies and challenges

Systems Administrator (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsEthical business practices, freedom to succeed with self initiative. Has the small company feel even though it has grown up.

ConsPay at risk is a bit high in bonus structure vs salary. Somewhat large amount of unstructured/unplanned work leads to a large percentage of firefighter type work.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't loose the small company feeling

Work harder so we can pay you less

Client Relationship Manager (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsWonderful people. For those looking to make an average salary and meet good people, this might be a fair option.

ConsNo career opportunities, low salary with terrible compensation plan, poor benefit package (Insurance is horrible). Company had a very good year in 2013 and still didn't pay out bonus for top performers. 2014 will be a rough year with negative growth

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes. Your good employees are leaving and poor performers are staying. That should tell you something.

Good, except they were bought by Equifax and restructured

Saint Louis, MO

ProsGood benefits, decent salary, plus attempts at employee comraderie

ConsGetting lost in a large company

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more one on one

Proceed with Caution

Unemployment Insurance Consultant (Current Employee)
    Hilliard, OH

ProsDecent Benefits, unique experience, working with great clients, and a few great managers (if you're lucky enough to get one of them).

ConsWork site is poorly maintained, performance metrics conflict with client needs, system upgrades are rolled out poorly and ineffective middle managers are retained indefinitely.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse 360 reviews to identify and train ASM's with poor leadership skills, not everything can be quantified into a spreadsheet.

Support an Open Door Policy, Managers of locations need to realize just because they aren't hearing about an issue, it doesn't mean it's resolved. It could mean your subordinates have given up on talking to you and are looking for work elsewhere.

Check SMART Goals for loopholes before rolling them out. Setting short sighted goals, based solely upon a number on a report is bad business. Reports are relatively easy to manipulate, some ASM's are quick to do this. It only complicates their subordinates jobs, putting pressure on them to maintain their ASM's façade.

Understand that where there's smoke, there's fire. If a manager has subordinates complaining to the Ethics Hotline and an excessive amount of conflict, that manager is allowing unproductive behavior to flourish.

Unemployment Insurance Consultant

UIC (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsNice Benefits-but expensive, flexible hours, central location, most people are nice-but clickish.

ConsVery low pay. Uneven work load, standards, attendance and policy enforcement. If you're a favorite, you get away with murder, if not, you're baggered. Most employee's are over worked while other employee's sit around watching the over worked. Supervisor's have a 'cover their butt' attitude, do not interact with the people they supervise. Most Supervisor's are over worked and have little time to guide and counsel.

Advice to Senior ManagementAudit your Supervisor's for even policy enforcement and work load. Try and recognize the employee's that are over worked and reward the efforts.

Summer Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLight workload, friendly people, reasonable hours

ConsPoor pay, limited learning potential, few exit opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementNature of the business I suppose...did not have much exposure to management as an intern

Fast grow company. ok to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosfriendly place to work at.

ConsNot much space to grow your career.

Worked for TALX? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TALX reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for TALX CEO Bill Canfield . All 34 reviews posted anonymously by TALX employees.