TALX Reviews

Bill Canfield

Good Company, Cold Culture, Not Much Work Excitement

Former Employee - Intern in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at TALX part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most people I worked with and dealt with on a day to day basis were pretty friendly.

I've heard the pay was good for full-time employees and the benefits seemed competitive (I was intern).

Building is in a good area - relatively good array of places to eat nearby, near Westport, near other office buildings, and close to 270 if that's important to you. The building was also good compared to others I have seen an heard of (tad bit more open space and generally good facilities/working conditions).

Good place to gain professional business experience and learn about business in general

Cons

Some poor management - My manager was never around, always working from home (which isn't an issue except no one in my group saw any work get done by the manager).

Cold culture - People weren't very outgoing/friendly in general, my guess for the average age is ~40, people didn't seem excited about their job in general. It just felt more professional and rigid than I prefer (but I prefer a bit more of a relaxed culture which is hard to maintain in a large company). Also, I remember my manager telling me several times how things "used to be" before TALX was bought by Equifax. They used to have BBQs or whatever and overall it seemed like a more fun place to work. Fun would not be a word I would use to describe working there so it concerned me what direction the company was going. Another example is the Holiday/Christmas Party which was a lunch offsite, during a work day, that lasted just barely over an hour...wow.

While I was there a co-worker in my group had to work so much overtime for a proposal. If I had to guess she probably worked at least 80-90 hours that week. After I left, my friend who works there had to work several 12-16 hour days to keep up with the workload (one person left the team and the manager didn't help out) I don't believe this is the norm, but it made me think that work/life balance might be a little off there.

Like most office work, much of the time it is boring

I agree with one reviewer who talked about silo'd departments, us vs them mentality, lack of standard processes throughout creating extra work for people trying to work together/use the same information. For example, the marketing group had wonderful graphics that they used for who knows what but my team sent out proposals to possible clients and we were using old graphics and mad up graphics because we weren't given access to the new graphics for some odd reason. Why wouldn't you want everyone to have access to sending out graphics that brag about the company?

Show appreciation of employees more
    Push managers to be better (lead instead of boss people around there is a difference)
    Try and make work life a little more fun when possible
    Tell everyone they why, not only the what
    Be Supportive of your employees
    Listen to your employees

Very Political Environment

Former Employee - Client Relationship Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Client Relationship Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at TALX full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and flexibility and work /home balance. Good incentives and great chances to make more money through sales incentives and commissions.

Cons

Very small minded politics.Many managers will step on people to get ahead with no conscience or regard. How do they look at themselves in the mirror everyday ?

Be honest and fair. Do promote hearsay and gossip . Sometimes managers get big heads and are not honest with themselves or others and need to have a check and balance. I worked with several evil managers.

Get me out of here!

Current Employee - Client Relationship Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at TALX full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The location is good if that's important with easy access to various expressways. There are a lot of restaurants around the area. The building is nice and well maintained.

Cons

Where do I even start? I sell on the phone to mid-sized companies. (under 5000 employees) It's all cold calling and grind, grind, grind. The team is ok but has a lot of small-minded politics. Actually, the same can be said for the entire company. The bigger issue is the management of this team. Horrible, not supportive, political, and negative doesn't really begin to describe it. The management of the team is so bad that I'm actively looking for a new position outside of this company, even though I'll probably make over $100k this year. It just isn't worth it anymore.

Change the management and leadership of the team. Find a way to get rid of all the politics. Treat people fairly and ethically. Create an actual upward career path.

Ridiculous

Current Employee - CDS Department in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - CDS Department in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at TALX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flex hours, co workers ( not managers) paycheck, benefits are just average even though owned by Equifax.

Cons

Pay, no opportunities to move up. Management doesn't care. Terrible IT dept and HR.

Upper management needs to be more in tune with what the department manager is doing. No room to move up based on experience. You can have a degree in tidliwinks and get a job over someone who has been there for 20 years with the right experience. NO LOYALITY to any of their employees. Just a minion.

Decent company to work for

I have been working at TALX full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice bonuses. Very supportive of work/life balance.

Cons

Difficult to advance. If you do happen to advance internally, they screw you on the salary for your new position.

Great access to new technologies and challenges

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at TALX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ethical business practices, freedom to succeed with self initiative. Has the small company feel even though it has grown up.

Cons

Pay at risk is a bit high in bonus structure vs salary. Somewhat large amount of unstructured/unplanned work leads to a large percentage of firefighter type work.

Don't loose the small company feeling

Work harder so we can pay you less

Former Employee - Client Relationship Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Client Relationship Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at TALX full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful people. For those looking to make an average salary and meet good people, this might be a fair option.

Cons

No career opportunities, low salary with terrible compensation plan, poor benefit package (Insurance is horrible). Company had a very good year in 2013 and still didn't pay out bonus for top performers. 2014 will be a rough year with negative growth

Open your eyes. Your good employees are leaving and poor performers are staying. That should tell you something.

Good, except they were bought by Equifax and restructured

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at TALX full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, decent salary, plus attempts at employee comraderie

Cons

Getting lost in a large company

Be more one on one

Proceed with Caution

Current Employee - Unemployment Insurance Consultant in Hilliard, OH
    Current Employee - Unemployment Insurance Consultant in Hilliard, OH

I have been working at TALX full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent Benefits, unique experience, working with great clients, and a few great managers (if you're lucky enough to get one of them).

Cons

Work site is poorly maintained, performance metrics conflict with client needs, system upgrades are rolled out poorly and ineffective middle managers are retained indefinitely.

Use 360 reviews to identify and train ASM's with poor leadership skills, not everything can be quantified into a spreadsheet.

Support an Open Door Policy, Managers of locations need to realize just because they aren't hearing about an issue, it doesn't mean it's resolved. It could mean your subordinates have given up on talking to you and are looking for work elsewhere.

Check SMART Goals for loopholes before rolling them out. Setting short sighted goals, based solely upon a number on a report is bad business. Reports are relatively easy to manipulate, some ASM's are quick to do this. It only complicates their subordinates jobs, putting pressure on them to maintain their ASM's façade.

Understand that where there's smoke, there's fire. If a manager has subordinates complaining to the Ethics Hotline and an excessive amount of conflict, that manager is allowing unproductive behavior to flourish.

Summer Intern

I worked at TALX

Pros

Light workload, friendly people, reasonable hours

Cons

Poor pay, limited learning potential, few exit opportunities

Nature of the business I suppose...did not have much exposure to management as an intern