TALX

Bill Canfield

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Company, Cold Culture, Not Much Work Excitement

Intern (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsMost people I worked with and dealt with on a day to day basis were pretty friendly.

I've heard the pay was good for full-time employees and the benefits seemed competitive (I was intern).

Building is in a good area - relatively good array of places to eat nearby, near Westport, near other office buildings, and close to 270 if that's important to you. The building was also good compared to others I have seen an heard of (tad bit more open space and generally good facilities/working conditions).

Good place to gain professional business experience and learn about business in general

ConsSome poor management - My manager was never around, always working from home (which isn't an issue except no one in my group saw any work get done by the manager).

Cold culture - People weren't very outgoing/friendly in general, my guess for the average age is ~40, people didn't seem excited about their job in general. It just felt more professional and rigid than I prefer (but I prefer a bit more of a relaxed culture which is hard to maintain in a large company). Also, I remember my manager telling me several times how things "used to be" before TALX was bought by Equifax. They used to have BBQs or whatever and overall it seemed like a more fun place to work. Fun would not be a word I would use to describe working there so it concerned me what direction the company was going. Another example is the Holiday/Christmas Party which was a lunch offsite, during a work day, that lasted just barely over an hour...wow.

While I was there a co-worker in my group had to work so much overtime for a proposal. If I had to guess she probably worked at least 80-90 hours that week. After I left, my friend who works there had to work several 12-16 hour days to keep up with the workload (one person left the team and the manager didn't help out) I don't believe this is the norm, but it made me think that work/life balance might be a little off there.

Like most office work, much of the time it is boring

I agree with one reviewer who talked about silo'd departments, us vs them mentality, lack of standard processes throughout creating extra work for people trying to work together/use the same information. For example, the marketing group had wonderful graphics that they used for who knows what but my team sent out proposals to possible clients and we were using old graphics and mad up graphics because we weren't given access to the new graphics for some odd reason. Why wouldn't you want everyone to have access to sending out graphics that brag about the company?

Advice to Senior ManagementShow appreciation of employees more
    Push managers to be better (lead instead of boss people around there is a difference)
    Try and make work life a little more fun when possible
    Tell everyone they why, not only the what
    Be Supportive of your employees
    Listen to your employees

Great access to new technologies and challenges

Systems Administrator (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsEthical business practices, freedom to succeed with self initiative. Has the small company feel even though it has grown up.

ConsPay at risk is a bit high in bonus structure vs salary. Somewhat large amount of unstructured/unplanned work leads to a large percentage of firefighter type work.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't loose the small company feeling

Work harder so we can pay you less

Client Relationship Manager (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsWonderful people. For those looking to make an average salary and meet good people, this might be a fair option.

ConsNo career opportunities, low salary with terrible compensation plan, poor benefit package (Insurance is horrible). Company had a very good year in 2013 and still didn't pay out bonus for top performers. 2014 will be a rough year with negative growth

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes. Your good employees are leaving and poor performers are staying. That should tell you something.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good, except they were bought by Equifax and restructured

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGood benefits, decent salary, plus attempts at employee comraderie

ConsGetting lost in a large company

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more one on one

Unemployment Insurance Consultant

UIC (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsNice Benefits-but expensive, flexible hours, central location, most people are nice-but clickish.

ConsVery low pay. Uneven work load, standards, attendance and policy enforcement. If you're a favorite, you get away with murder, if not, you're baggered. Most employee's are over worked while other employee's sit around watching the over worked. Supervisor's have a 'cover their butt' attitude, do not interact with the people they supervise. Most Supervisor's are over worked and have little time to guide and counsel.

Advice to Senior ManagementAudit your Supervisor's for even policy enforcement and work load. Try and recognize the employee's that are over worked and reward the efforts.

Data Center Associate Prspective

Data Centr Associate (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsCompany has been bought out, standards are slowly being implemented. Other than health care, benefits meet the standard package offered by most companies.

ConsManagement turns over frequently, so standards are not made and maintained. Documentation is poorly maintained, busy work given priority over useful. The DCA is assumed in the wrong when situations arise, instead of first being given the chance to explain. Manager does not manage the Associates, but will force conditions on certain employees at their whim. No training is given equally to all employees, but Associates are still expected to complete tasks assigned. This company is still trying to be ran like a small business, however, it is no longer one, and progress to bring it up to big business standards is very slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe manager needs to be a manager instead of a Data Center Engineer given extra duties, as the Engineers have a heavy work load already. Equal and consistant training offered as new hardwar and software is brought in.

Went from "GREAT" to "just okay"

Implementation Manager (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsWork/Life Balance, schedules are semi-flexible.

ConsQuantity is valued MUCH MORE than quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlacing more value on quality will retain customers and earn more profit in the long run.

Frenetic environment, constant exasperation

Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsRespectable pay and benefits
    Most colleagues are good to work with
    Upgraded SharePoint and Visual Studio to 2010

ConsDisparate systems for tracking and reporting work
    Unrealistic job expectations
    NO work/life balance
    Direction of teams didn't reflect overall direction of company

Advice to Senior ManagementStop expecting employees (and contractors) to do the job of two people.
    Multitasking is NOT conducive to quality work!

Revenue generation is the priority.

Client Relationship Manager (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGood benefits and comp plan, flexible hours, ability to work remote. Good grasp of what is happening in the current economy.

ConsService is provided under the guise of sales. Not looking for creative thinkers, want followers who adhere to cumbersome and frequently changing rules. Average work week 55 hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower employees and engage them in process improvements. Give new
    managers leadership classes.

good overall

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsI like the people I work with, I like the location and the opportunity to learn different aspects of business and technology.

Consthere are a lot of processes that don't make sense and it happens a lot because of the many changes that take place on a regular basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees who run the process and take ideas to make things more efficient for everyone. Other than that things are pretty good.

Worked for TALX? Contribute to the Community!