TAMKO Reviews

2.4
David C. Humphreys

Excellent Company, Good Job

I worked at TAMKO

Pros

The pay is good compared to competitors. Rewarded for hard work. Your accomplishments are noticed by management. I would recommend TAMKO to a friend.

Cons

The locations aren't the best. This is a small price to pay to work for a good company that pays well.

Lots of politics

Current Employee - Mechanic in Joplin, MO
    Current Employee - Mechanic in Joplin, MO

I have been working at TAMKO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ok pay I guess . There's better out there but there's a whole lot worse too

Cons

You are owned by tamko. Heard claim to be a family oriented business but you have absolutely no family life! And you have no voice . If you speed your mind you will find yourself jobless.

Advice to Management

Doesn't really matter

Run Run RUN

Former Employee - Supervisor in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Frederick, MD

I worked at TAMKO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent paycheck long hours no home life

Cons

Still feels like your living in the 40's or the 50's alot of the management don't like black people if your black stay away

Advice to Management

Take more management class

Very good pay with terrible working conditions, terrible work schedule and terrible management.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Joplin, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Joplin, MO

I have been working at TAMKO full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is the ONLY good thing good about Tamko high street!

Cons

Swing shifts are terrible on health and family life. Working with management that has no idea what it takes to make the products. High Street management preaches safety, yet witnesses employee in very unsafe act and says nothing until next day. ( employee could have been seriously hurt or killed ) Another employee is having medical emergency and management tells EMS to only go to office and has employee brought to office by his staff.

Advice to Management

High street management needs to quite being such "yes" men and try being managers

A legal company that occasionally makes shingles. Joke of a "culture". Stay away from the Six Sigma lure.

Former Employee - Six Sigma Black Belt in Joplin, MO
    Former Employee - Six Sigma Black Belt in Joplin, MO

I worked at TAMKO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

TAMKO invests a lot of money in training of employees and compensates reasonably. They claim free market principles. Cheap cost of living in Missouri.

Cons

All of the senior management are lawyers, and they reflect every generalization you can make. They lie to your face then stab you in the back. The relationship with the Six Sigma program is an abusive one - they provide great training, then use quarterly (monthly, at times) reviews as shooting galleries for their own sadistic pleasure, nit picking and at times outright degrading the black belts. The "culture" they assume is instilled at all of the manufacturing facilities is a shallow facade, preached by all but practiced by very, very few. While executives and management promise a shiny, supportive future, that only exists for employees if they drink as much kool-aid as possible as quickly as possible, while concurrently licking executive leather boots. They preach Deming philosophy of employee enablement and "Driving fear out of the organization" and even went so far as to claim that they "do not perform layoffs - that is why we keep such a large cash reserve", then turn around and clean out an entire department when they predict an economic downturn. The Six Sigma program is managed by luring separating military company-grade officers into the company with promises of cushy management positions after 1-2 years of "paying dues" in the Black Belt role, flexible work hours, and a similar culture to the military. While they pay well and provide expensive formal training, the rest of the promises are lies and ruses, nothing more. They evangelize their "golden boy" Black Belts - the ones who survived and drank enough kool-aid to continue on in the company and mirror the garbage that executives spew, and expect every new hire to reach the same financial savings that these first belts did by only CREATING a process, barely even improving it. Black Belts are offered production line manager positions after 3 years of Six Sigma hell no matter WHAT they promise before getting in, constant badgering by an inept master black belt "director" (who was fired into the position and has subsequently driven it well into the ground) to work extended hours whether they will benefit your project or not, and a culture that despises any change to the antiquated and inefficient work "processes" of the disgruntled line workers. If you're not used to Mid-western culture, it is backwards, slow, overly religious (what church you attend helps/harms your career), and focuses more on football teams than education. For example, there is no alcohol at company gatherings because some executives choose not to drink, and an inordinate number of managers all coincidentally attend the same church. The High Deductible healthcare plan is fantastic... until you need to use it, in which case you'll pay through the nose. If you have any recurring healthcare costs, look elsewhere for employment or go through a spouse's plan.

Advice to Management

Clean out the Six Sigma Management, like you should have 5 years ago. Get rid of the "Good old boy" mentality. Visit your plants unannounced to see the true state instead of allowing for 2 weeks of distraction while your plant workers work overtime to clean the mess up to display what you WANT to see, rather than how it is. Stop showering Black Belts with backpacks, tee-shirts, and useless garbage and treat them like people during presentations. Start a mentor program for Black Belts instead of throwing them into the deep end with the "learn to swim" mentality. If you want military-based line managers, hire separating Non-commissioned officers, not CGOs. (No offense intended to NCOs - you guys are the best at what you do) Be honest with recruiting - don't claim your grass is greener than it is unless you want continued Black Belt rollover. Actually READ Deming some time to understand what he's trying to say. Forget about Six Sigma until you have stable processes to improve. Get rid of the wasteful personality profiles. Color Code, DISC, Briggs-meyers, etc. etc. They are about as bad as horoscopes for making decisions based on personality generalizations.

TAMKO Response

Oct 21, 2014 – Director of Communications

I was pleased to learn that Glass Door provides an opportunity for employers to respond to posts. Although it is not our routine practice to respond to a post by someone who purports to be a former ... More

Enjoyed the people, but hours were over the top.

I worked at TAMKO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary was excellent - above the market. Most decisions at plant level are data driven which lowered risk. Pretty solid teamwork. Very results oriented culture.

Cons

Corporate very reactive and tended to wing it. Managers not given much autonomy. Very cut throat in reducing head count in a downturn. Some very tenured employees allowed to make minimal added value.

Advice to Management

Give managers increased autonomy. Hold all employees accountable for results in their areas of responsibility.

Disgrace

I worked at TAMKO full-time

Pros

There are no pros. The teachings are based on honesty and integrity but not practiced. Upper management and the team of lawyers and disreputal human resource personnel that 'run' the place actually encourage bad and immoral behavior. Salary employees are allowed to harrass and intimidate the hourly employees. The lawyers put on a prevention of harrasment training program yearly and use examples of harrasment but leave out the facts that they knowingly allow it to happen and participate. Once the person in question is counseled the accuser(s) have a target put on them and they find reason to get rid of them. The officers of the company turn a blind eye to the bad behavior and play favorites with the 'charmed' employees. Of course the friends and family of the executives are the worst offenders and get by with any number of illegal and immoral behaviour.

Cons

It is a terrible company to work for if you have any morals or feelings for fellow human beings.

Advice to Management

Remember the golden rule! There is more to life than money and if you don't believe in the mission statement stop 'teaching' it.

A hostile work place, worst experience in my career. PLEASE read reviews before accepting an offer.

Former Employee - Controls Engineer in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Controls Engineer in Frederick, MD

I worked at TAMKO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation was decent, within market range. They would not hesitate to send you out for training.

Cons

Initial experience: After the phone interview I was invited to the corporate office in Joplin for the first on-site interview. Here I was told that certain set of system migration projects were "top on the list" issues I need to work on at the plant. Since I had the the required experience to perform such migration I was told they really like my profile and think was a good fit. Later I had an interview at the plant where the engineering manager seemed friendly and walked me through the plant and explained what they did and I was asked the same set of questions on system migration and technical skills they thought THEY NEEDED. Since the skills they told me they need are in line with my previous experience I accepted the offer. First couple of months at the plant there was no correlation between the job duties I was interviewed for, to the actual day to day projects which were assigned to me. The projects which I was told were “high priority” at corporate during my interview were laughed upon during my first couple of days at the plant. TOTAL disconnect between corporate and plant on the vision for process improvement. The Engineering department: The worst part about this place is the utter lack of knowledge on engineering best practices and people survived all these years by one phrase “We always did things this way”. There are no clear definitions on roles and responsibilities for any of these "engineers" I worked with. These folks would constantly step on each other’s toes and execute projects contradicting each other’s process improvement efforts. Imagine if an IT person with an unrelated background could design, program and install electrical and automation equipment, how blurred the lines for roles in the company are. Everyone loves to call themselves “engineers” at the plant, even if you cannot understand most basic of the engineering best practices, such as electrical drawings. The surprising part is that most don’t realize that their way of doing things was outdated. They continue to live in the mess they created and whine about it every single day! TOTAL CHAOS. It’s also surprising that people at the plant follow outside contractors blindly and do not care about what their own experienced employees have to say (who they would interview very keenly). Company Values: Highly bureaucratic work culture and employees survive in “packs”. If you have to survive here you better be a part of a “group”. People get their ideas implemented through this bully mentality with constant intimidation with the reason that their side of argument is somehow “data driven”. Even between departments they hated each other, you can feel the enmity in the air. They would not hesitate for one second to throw you under the bus if they got a chance. This changed quite a lot since the new management took over and I applaud their efforts greatly. But for most part engineers of all departments still act like they belong to a mafia. If they don’t like you they will harass, attack you personally and intimidate you every chance they get. After couple of such personal attacks from my own team, I realized that they would throw everything they have at me to protect their outdated paradigm of doing things and I was at the wrong place. Benefits and Time off: Horrible 401K and health care options, although some would disagree regarding the healthcare options. Take note that the Paid Time Off would begin ONLY after 1 year of successful employment with the company.

Advice to Management

Step out once a while to look at how other industries plan and organize their technical projects. Sometimes the only way things would improve is if the bottom fell out.

10. TAMKO is an excellent company to work for

I have been working at TAMKO

Pros

The management team is great. The workload was not too heavy but consistent.

Cons

The product is heavy when wet. The building is very old.

Advice to Management

Continue to treat your employees as well as you do now

Excellent company to work for

Former Employee - Transportation in Joplin, MO
    Former Employee - Transportation in Joplin, MO

I worked at TAMKO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked there almost 3 years before relocating for husband's job. Good pay for the area, opportunity to advance. Owners really care for community and employees.

Cons

Some people remained in management positions that maybe should have been moved to other positions.

RSS Feed </> Embed