TASC Reviews in Chantilly, VA

Updated September 27, 2014
2.8

TASC President and Chief Executive Officer John Hynes
John Hynes

Pros
  • Very good benefits, flexible work schedule (in 7 reviews)

• TASC also recognizes work-life balance is important to employee retention (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Since the divestment from Northrop Grumman TASC has lost its identity (in 11 reviews)

• Senior management was usually promoted from within or at least came with a government background (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

38 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A Good Company in a tough industry

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I worked at TASC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy to transfer internally, overall nice people, Education Assistance is much more than most other companies

Cons

Not a lot of young hires, no consistency to managers, poor growth structure

solidify growth/training structure, make sure managers have the same training, more transparency

No long term strategy or plan at this company

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at TASC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Commensurate benefits with competitors
    Nothing else

Cons

Rudderless company handcuffed by their equity owners

Consider buying out our owners to better control our destiny

Employees Now Seen as an Unnecessary Expense

Former Employee - Systems Engineer V  in  Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer V in Chantilly, VA

I worked at TASC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Company Name is easy to spell

Cons

Company Benefits contributions from employees for health insurancea are more expensive than purchasing individual insurances.
    Since getting spun off from Northrop Grumman and sold to venture capitalist KKR, the company has been shedding experienced and skilled engineers and moved from a well-respected systems integrator to a software coding and systems administration shop.

Compensation and benefits are no longer competitive with engineering skills in the market. Employee stability is a thing of the past. Layoffs are de rigueur these days. The experience and skills level within the company are falling as is the reputation once claimed as a leader in complex engineering solutions.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Just OK

Current Employee - Information Assurance Engineer  in  Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Information Assurance Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at TASC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good variety of jobs and customers, great education benefits, some nice people and flexible schedules.

Cons

Benefits have been slashed, used to be great but are now just average and may get worse.

Cutting vacation time when all the other benefits were reduced was very difficult on employees.

TASC has been a competent employer with declining benefits, like many of its competitors.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at TASC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are a wide variety of very interesting assignments, with potential for travel if that's what you want. TASC will pay for degree- or certificate-related coursework. TASC complies with all laws regarding EEOC, overetime, etc., and generally has sane management.

Cons

TASC has reorganized 5 times since I started work in2002, which means a lot of turbulence in the chain of command. Benefits have been shrinking steadily since I joined TASC in 2002, due largely to the competitive landscape in a shrinking Federal budget. TASC will not pay for upgrade training that does not lead to a certificate or degree. The maximum total of vacation and sick leave is 4 weeks no matter what your years with the company.

Try not to reorganize for 5 years. Find some way to allow more senior employees to less than full time. Find some way to allow more than 4 weeks combined vacation and sick leave.

Mediocrity at its best

Current Employee - SETA  in  Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - SETA in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at TASC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You can see the work having a very positive impact on the country and on the world. Although the government is in charge, you really have ownership of your program or your department because the government people get reassigned so frequently while the government wants you to stay in place.

Cons

The government wants you to stay in place. TASCs business plans seem to reflect that they can eventually get new people to do that same jobs as older people who are paid more. Let a highly paid old fart retire and get someone twenty years younger do the job for 20% less means that the hedge funds who own the company get 20% more profit by filling that same seat.

At some point, your corporate strategy of lowball salaries to win Lowest Price Technically Acceptable source selections will hopefully bite you. At this point, you are doing nothing to inspire employee loyalty and you will have nobody to pimp out.

Great experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I worked at TASC full-time

Pros

Having recently chopped several layers of management, I think John Hynes is on his way to up-righting the ship. Benefits that were cut are no different than other companies. Salaries and increases no different than other companies.

Cons

With all the cutting, still have employees who continue to have multiple breaks throughout the day. Add up all that time and it equals well over 5 or 6 FTEs.

In areas where cubicles are used instead of walls, the socializing prevents people who want to work, from working. Management is often right in the middle of the talking.

Can still cut more dead weight in some areas.

Great start to my career

Former Employee - Engineering Manager  in  Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Chantilly, VA

I worked at TASC full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

TASC is a big enough company that there are plenty of opportunities to move between projects and between careers paths.

Cons

Since the divestment from Northrop Grumman TASC has lost its identity. Instead of focusing on the high-level engineering work that established TASC as a trusted partner across all government agencies, the company is now chasing any work it can find.

Middle of the road, Mid-size contractor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I worked at TASC full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is work-life balance. While other things are sub-par, the work is easy enough that you can get home to your personal life on time.

Cons

Poor management; less than stellar technical opportunities. The overall communication at the company is terrible. They say one thing and will follow through on something else.

Improve your communication immediately. I have never seen a company change their communication so often and so quickly to the detriment of their staff

Weathervaning

Current Employee - Section Manager  in  Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Section Manager in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at TASC full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great cadre of employees who are extremely bright, ambitious and resourceful. Most of the staff I work with in Chantilly other Northern VA and Washington DC area would shine in any company they are that versatile.

Cons

Despite a huge all management offsite just over two years ago we've been slow to identify what our core competences are and what the organizational construct will be to manage new business sales and associated business acquisition cycle that harmonizes with both corporate HQ and dispersed TASC which will ultimately interface with the customer and execute the work. Strategy and tactics for capture & pursuit is not shared well nor in a timely manner leading to suboptimal PWin rates

December 2013 overhead cuts was a ballsy but overdue move. We lost a lot of good people we can no longer carry on overhead but the cuts sent shudders across whole company consuming precious time and commitment. Now we need to do everything we can to keep remaining team poised to collaborate and help us win & grow. Too many 3 letter customer support staff hide behind their 3 letter firewalls avoiding collaboration with other TASC entities who need support.

Worked for TASC? Contribute to the Community!