TASC Reviews

Updated August 24, 2014

2.8

TASC President and Chief Executive Officer John Hynes
John Hynes

Pros
  • TASC also recognizes work-life balance is important to employee retention (in 4 reviews)

• TASC still has a lot of good people and plenty of interesting work (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Since the divestment from Northrop Grumman TASC has lost its identity (in 9 reviews)

• Senior management was usually promoted from within or at least came with a government background (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Employees Now Seen as an Unnecessary Expense

Former Employee - Systems Engineer V  in  Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer V in Chantilly, VA

I worked at TASC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Company Name is easy to spell

Cons

Company Benefits contributions from employees for health insurancea are more expensive than purchasing individual insurances.
    Since getting spun off from Northrop Grumman and sold to venture capitalist KKR, the company has been shedding experienced and skilled engineers and moved from a well-respected systems integrator to a software coding and systems administration shop.

Compensation and benefits are no longer competitive with engineering skills in the market. Employee stability is a thing of the past. Layoffs are de rigueur these days. The experience and skills level within the company are falling as is the reputation once claimed as a leader in complex engineering solutions.

TASC used to be a great place to work because of the strength of its top calibur employees needed to fill the contracts

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at TASC full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Although benefits, especially for long-timers (>10 years), have been cut substantially, they do appear to be somewhat on par with competitors. But it doesn't allow TASC to be a standout for benefits any longer.

Cons

TASC obviously has to change in accordance with the changing environment around it in the defense and intel world, however it is very disappointing the direction in which it has been heading. All of the SME's that have made TASC so great and sought after on contract awards have either left or have been let go. It's sad to see the company now focused more on the bottom line than on the employees who are CRITICAL to success. It gets tiring to hear town hall briefings that tell employees to "get off the bench and get in the game" instead of "thank you for the hard work and riding out these difficult times with us".

It would be good to find some sort of balance in this changing environment where TASC could get back to the old model again where focus is on employees. TASC used to be great and employees loved working there.

Its understandable why TASC has lost multiple contracts with its customer

I worked at TASC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You many get to work with phenomenal, passionate individuals who care about the projects and programs they work on.

Cons

Even with getting to work with phenomenal individuals, you may also have to work alongside coworkers loved by managers and PMs, who come in late and leave early, listen to loud, inappropriate and offensive music and watch similar tasteful you tube videos in their cubicles when they're in the office, and when roaming the hallways and offices, can frequently be found wrestling or hanging out. This unprofessional behavior isn't appreciated or accepted by everyone, and does provide insight why TASC has lost multiple contracts with their customer.

Be proactive in doing anything and everything to improve your bottom line; to include allowing likeable, but non-productive employees to move on. TASC, its employees and customers deserve better!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very bad management - let people go with no reason - that is their policy

I worked at TASC full-time for more than a year

Pros

They used to be better when Northrop Grumman but as TASC they are lacking!

Cons

Bad management. They feel that if an employee can leave for no significant reason then they can fire for no reason and get away with it . They don't promote people for their work skills but more on how well you comply to management.

Get better educated in managing a company. I respect the CEO but he doesn't see all that goes on.

Worst Work Experience I've Ever Had.

Former Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Fort Huachuca, AZ
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Fort Huachuca, AZ

I worked at TASC full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fairly easy to get hired.

Cons

At TASC by far I witnessed and experieced the worst abuses in my career.

I worked under in an extremely toxic enviroment. I struggled to understand directions supervisors because many of them had very weak reading and writing skills, communication skills. Some of them could not touch type.

Employee abuse was on clear display, employees would often get yelled at in front of higher ups such as Project Managers. That's why no one ever went to HR, the abuse was so blatant that it was clear it was implicitly allowed.

There was 100% turnover within 6 months of me working there.

I strongly recommend to anyone to not work at Ft. Huachuca and especially not to work at TASC in Ft. Huachuca unless you are generously compinsated because you will experience to some degree this garbage. Don't even consider a job at TASC or Ft. Huachcua at all if you are just starting your career.

I don't have any. It was clear from my experience they are not involved in managing their Ft. Huachuca contract and have left the mid managers that are their locally to their own devices.

Awesome work but little support.

Former Employee - Computer Sys Sec Analyst  in  Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Computer Sys Sec Analyst in Chantilly, VA

I worked at TASC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Worked on leading-edge issues with high-level personnel. Contributed to and shaped far-reaching inititiatives.

Cons

Received no technical training. Poor first-line management. Clearance was not submitted for periodic update, then was terminated for having an out-of-scope background investigation (TS/SCI clearance had no periodic reinvestigation for almost 10 years).

Ensure that employees are explicitly told of their responsibilities, e.g., keeping their clearance up to date. For example, as part of the annual review process employees should be briefed on the status of their clearance. If necessary, the employee could work with management to transfer to another part of the company that would force a periodic update to be initiated.

Corporate

Current Employee - Manager  in  Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at TASC full-time for more than a year

Pros

Commute is a plus and the new cafeteria is a plus

Cons

Horrible managers, horrible HR department, horrible employee moral, horrible senior management with horrible individuals in leadership positions. Feels like you are working in a prison.

Shut it down

I expected more.

I have been working at TASC full-time

Pros

The people I support on this contract are very flexible with work and home.

Cons

Senior Management is disappointing at this location. There is no leadership and no team effort and I don't know if it is my local office that does not care about me or if it stems from corporate. It is an environment with a lot of lip service.

A ship slowly sinking

Former Employee - Web Designer  in  Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Web Designer in Chantilly, VA

I worked at TASC full-time

Pros

Immediate supervisor was very professional and caring.

Cons

Upper management was just the opposite; full of broken promises, declining company benefits, and extremely low morale. Even after being informed about morale, they offered to take us to lunch. Needless to say, they didn't even do that; they just blew us off and pretended nothing happened. Very dissappointed.

Put your employees first for once. Make them feel like they're special, after all, they are the ones making you look good in your declining moments of leadership.

Race to the Bottom

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at TASC full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A lot of good colleagues, work that is important to the nation. Lean upper management

Cons

In the past couple years, too many large contracts were lost and the company has cut and slashed everywhere. Our medical benefits were greatly changed and skyrocketed, 401k contribution cut, profit sharing taken away, pension eliminated (technically that happened when TASC was divested from Northrop Grumman), most internal professional groups eliminated, no apparent investment in R&D or cutting edge technology. Terrible IT support that is outsourced from Unisys too. TASC used to be a place with top scientists and engineers would go, but with a focus strongly on systems engineering and nothing to attract them, there's a disconnect that Sr leaders haven't figured out.

Separate from the holding companies that are killing this company. Consider going employee owned or something. TASC may be able to win work, but if you can't recruit and keep enough good talent, the company is doomed.

Worked for TASC? Contribute to the Community!