TASER

Updated December 22, 2014
4.1

TASER CEO and Founder Rick Smith
Rick Smith

Pros
  • No doors" policy makes a really friendly work environment (in 7 reviews)

• s mission is the end user, the law enforcement officer (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • hard work sometimes skews work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• No meaningful career path planning / counseling (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Culture, Product, and Mission

Current Employee - Sales in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at TASER full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A simple way of putting this: employees were recently given a survey where they could give feedback anonymously. The results showed that most everyone in the company is very/extremely satisfied with the company overall. Very few people, if any, gave negative feedback. Remember, it was submitted anonymously. I can personally add that, after working for a handful of large profitable juggernauts, TASER is the best company culture I have encountered.
    The company seems to really care about its employees and the employees are typically passionate about what they're trying to accomplish; improving the safety of officers and the public.
    Getting into the company is not easy, there are a lot of candidates applying so stay patient - it's worth it.
    ***Take negative feedback on glassdoor with a grain of salt. They are typically written by disgruntled former employees that want the last word (or poorly written review). Happy current employees (like myself) rarely think to take time out of their day to write positive feedback.****

Cons

Not so much of a con, but a draw back if you're not used to it. The company is in a growth pattern so many things have to be figured out on the go. Departments have been and will continue to be shuffled into each other. Some positions may need created while others will need eliminated or redefined. It happens anywhere but this company is figuring out how to do it for the first time. They seem to be doing it well, but it's an art, not a science.

Keep focusing on employee development. The company will thrive with the best educated and motivated staff.

Good company, growing pains

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at TASER full-time

Pros

It's not just a job. There's a real opportunity to do some real societal good. A lot of people here truly believe this and it shows.
    Work-life balance is good. Leadership clearly adheres to the creed that we should have lives outside work.
    Growth is there. The new body camera business is the right product at the right time.
    Lots of opportunities for personal career growth. Company is relatively small, but expanding rapidly with a lot of work to be done.

Cons

Growing pains come as company expands. Trying to create a software-driven group is fostering some tension with the traditional manufacturing business. A lot of business processes (e.g. HR, IT, benefits, etc) are still rough around the edges and need to be better for next level growth.

Pay more attention to the little things. You can't grow if your HR, IT, etc are not world class.

Honest Review

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at TASER full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Being given opportunities to grow my career buy their former CFO/COO. Being trusted in, believed in feeling valued by that person. Unfortunately those opportunities are no longer given if you aren't a Grad student or and overpaid executive. Its sad but true. I also enjoyed working with the employees that helped build this co to what it was. Some are still there, but few. The products intent, is also an important reason to feel good about being a part of Taser.

Cons

CFO So many bad business decisions. And no one has the nerve to tell/challenge him. Too busy reliving his youth and trying to be like every other Big deal tech company vs focusing on why he started Taser to begin with. When the stocks up, its good. But when its not, reality is still there. That same ol toxic environment. Just my honest opinion.

The company will succeed, because the product is a good one. Quality is an issue, but with the right people I'm sure it could improve. Invest in your employees that have committed to make Taser what it was and can be. Value your employees, ALL of them. Not just the VP's or College kids. Make them want to go to work in the am. Not feel sick to. Grow a pair, be honest about whats not working.....

Peyton Place ! (Looks good on outside but inside TASER is led by incompetent mgmt and Rick Smith brown nosers

I have been working at TASER full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you can get past the new interview scheme which includes Mensa questions (likely the senior team wants an answer to), you quickly can rise to your level of incompetence. There you can bask in praising Rick and being his next pull toy.

Cons

Simple. Expect low pay. Expect to report up to an executive you're smarter than. Do not expect your opinions to be valued. If you voice your opinion on paper, months later you will get your own walking papers unless you're a buddy of the senior team.

Quit.

Great work environment, extremely high tech, and very driven employees

Current Employee - Intern in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Intern in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at TASER as an intern

Pros

Everyone is very accessible in such an open work environment. Additionally, the HQ itself is one of the coolest looking places I've ever been.

Cons

They do a very thorough job with interviewing, etc to make sure that you are a good fit, which is good, since this you are surrounded by a lot of driven individuals.

Great experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at TASER full-time

Pros

- Everyone at TASER is passionate about their work, friendly, and talented.
    - Work-life balance is pretty good, though largely left up to the employee to maintain. As long as you are getting your stuff done, everyone is happy.
    - Company honestly makes an effort to do good in the world, despite the semi-frequent negative claims in the press.

Cons

- Company is experiencing some growing pains with the expansion into the software world, causing some strange tensions between departments.

Working for TASER

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at TASER (less than an year)

Pros

TASER has a fun environment and a good culture. The weapons sell themselves and is a known established brand. The company utilizes the creativity of its employees

Cons

While trying to be innovative, they have launched a product that generally across the board is unsuccessful and unreliable. While AXON and evidence.com are good ideas, they have been executed hastily and what comes off as carelessly. There is also a common theme of intensively rushing things too fast, rather than simply evolving the company rapidly

Developing Leaders

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at TASER as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Everyone is more than willing to teach new employees
    -Valued as an employee
    -Growth opportunities are phenomenal!

Cons

I cannot really find anything negative about working here.

Give a little bit more specific feedback on work.

Two day shoot.

Current Employee - Video Production in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Video Production in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at TASER as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone I worked with was friendly and professional. I wouldn't hesitate to work with them again.

Cons

As it was only a two day project, I didn't see any cons.

TASER - One Great Roller Coaster Ride

I have been working at TASER full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Exciting - If you want to be part of changing the world, welcome to TASER

Fun - If you want excitement, energy, and being in the action

Stressful - Good stress - not bad stress. If it was easy then anyone could work here

Titles Not Important - The job is key - not the title. If you can kick some tail go kick some tail. If not, this isn't for you. You get to do whatever you need to do to get the job done for the most part.

You work for cops. These are frankly the toughest customers in the world but at TASER we've won their trust and we're trusted advisers here for them. It's on going so you don't get to rest on your laurels. But isn't what a job is supposed to require.

Change is good here. We like that.

Techie - it's all about using technology here to its maximum potential. We dream big here.

We use Good to Great principles here for the most part.

Great culture to work hard, play hard, and to do whatever it takes to get the job done

Cons

Little time for continuing education.

Stressful - I said it was good stress. It is. But It can be tough on some of the employees if they are steeled in this environment. When we face controversy now it makes us release that we do have a tough job here but it also re-energizes most of the staff.

Change is tough here. I just said it was good, but it's still tough now and then. But if we don't change, adapt and overcome, well... we'd be like dinosaurs so in the end that can be a con to some but for most we dig it.

Get some continuing education programs.

Sabbaticals, anyone?

Reward the superstars as well as the steady Eddie rock stars who work like madmen for the sense of pride, the customer and the loyalty of the company.

We use the VOC here so make sure you stay in touch with the VOE (employee) a little more.

We need more opportunities to make sure we know who all of us employees are since there has been a lot of growth.

TASER Photos