TBC

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Larry Day

Above Avg company to work for.

Analyst (Former Employee) Palm Beach Gardens, FL

ProsLocation, location, location. TBC is one of the few large companies with a corp headquarters in SFL. Average office space in a very nice area close to I95 and across from 2 malls. Another office space in Juno is in a converted Winn-dixie and is below average. It's directly across from the beach though.
    The base salaries are competitive, vacation is above average although varies by department (3 week combo of personal days/vaca days) and benefits are above average. Bonus plan can be very lucrative, especially in new business units with no baseline. It's very hard to get fired from what I witnessed.
    They have invested heavily in technology in recent years. Better tech than in some Fourtune 500 firms. You will get to work with the latest and greatest tech.
    New management seems to be an upgrade over former good ole boy network of tire salesmen execs.
    My workload was not overwhelming, but it's retail, so some nights and weekends are required.
    My manager and VP/director were very open to susgesstions and new ideas to improve performance.

ConsBonus plans within the mature business units have unrealistic goals set to acheive targets.
    Management was a complete good-ole boy network of retail tire salemens that new nothing about running a billion dollar business. Luckily they have rid themseleves of most of that dead weight and actually started hiring polished, experience execs that could thrive in any industry.
     No amenities in the office space at all. They rent 85% of the space in two large buildings and stick the majority of IT in a converted Winn-Dixie 20 minutes north.
    It can be difficult to get promoted or recieve a substantiable raise. Lots of internal politics play a role who get promoted. Also, it's SFL, so you don't have much leverage when it comes to seeking opportunities elsewhere. Mgt knows that and exploits that.

Advice to Senior ManagementPurchase the PBG campus, get rid of all the satalite offices and create an enviorment that people want to work in and can collaborate in(gym, cafeteria). This will significantly help with employee retention and attrack a more talented workforce.
    Set realistic goals for bonus plans.
    Get rid of the remaining tire salesmen that somehow have managed to become execs.

IT Professionals: Stay away!!!

ProsIn an area with not much traffic

ConsManagement needs people skills
    Environment has "unwritten rules" that even new hires must somehow know on the first day
    They treat every professional like a part-time sales associate in one of their stores

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and even outside consultants when it comes to the working environment. When person after person makes the same observation, attention should be given to addressing it.

Extremely hectic, a great job for adrenaline junkies. The pay was very good and the management very demanding.

ProsThis is a company always on the move. Their quest to become the very best at what they do is the number one goal of every days business cycle.

ConsIf there is a con it would be that TBC is to quick to discard experienced managerial personnel for youth.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf its not broke don't fix it. Sometimes you have too admit when your are wrong. The best business strategy is not always to assume that you know what ails your company. We often find out that the best strategic thinkers are the ones working right up under your noses. Experience is worth its weight in gold if you take the time and are humble enough to let them do their jobs. Decisions made in a vacuum eventually will be dumped in the trash before its over. Stop making acquisitions that you are not prepared to incorporate into your business. Every time that you go out and acquire another company to increase your profits you need to insure that every other department/ divisions/ business unit in TBC is continuing to exceed yearly expectations. The game of basketball is best played with the game plan to score from the inside out. Very Simplistic and Very True.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall good pay and benefits. The changes in progress will, hopefully, fix the cultural issues within the company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Juno Beach, FL

ProsTBC is creating dynamic and technologically advanced systems within the IT department. Becoming SAP centric and retiring legacy systems will be a major process in the coming years.

ConsThe company is having severe growing pains and is still searching for its' strategic path. There is significant upheaval in the IT department with the absence of a CIO and limited long-term vision at the moment.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should improve communications and provide a strategic roadmap to the company so everyone can get on board. A change in the overall culture will be required in order to support the technologically advanced path they are currently trying to take.

Executives do not value employees and care less about moral

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWell funded and industry leader

ConsVery deceptive leadership and don't care about the longevity of employees

It Paid The Bills Ok

Computer Repair (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe pay was somewhat nice.

ConsPeople aren't very friendly here,

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to employees

Below market pay plus no training/development plans = Unfulfilled promises

Corporate Office Employee (Current Employee) Palm Beach Gardens, FL

ProsThe 'positive' is that since the company is so disorganized and attrition is high, you get to get involved with a lot of new things. Usually during a fire drill, but still you do get involved with a lot of different things.

ConsThere does not appear to be any vision for the company. There are never any communications to the staff on company initiatives or how it is doing. You hear rumors that performance is pretty bad, and see lots of higher level managers leaving, so it makes you very worried that you may not have a job soon. People talk openly about the executives being in over their heads, and not having experience/skills to manage a large company this size...

Advice to Senior ManagementHire executives who have managed companies this size before. It seems like everyone is learning on the job. Please also learn to communicate! We hear everything through the grapevine, so you never know what is true or not.....

Corporate Culture - Marketing Perspective

Executive (Former Employee)

ProsFlorida HQ, excellent industry / sector.

ConsCulture of fear and intimidation
    Selfish leadership at the senior-most levels
    Limited appreciation for the importance of people (employees and customers)
    Stagnant old-school management mindset

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider highest-level leadership changes to effect culture improvements
    Empower middle managers
    Demand performance and pay accordingly
    Embrace modern business strategy (from operations to marketing)

Great associates poor leadership and lack of direction

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEmployees are dedicated and hardworking. They are committed to excellence. The team atmosphere was great and most were super helpful.

ConsThe senior management is running it into the ground. They don't listen to their teams and forge ahead without a thought out business plan. It was frustrating working there because they didn't value your opinion.Also they would bleed their employees for everything they had nor did they provide proper resources to achieve goals. And, they don't pay well.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to your team. They are hired for their expertise, use it. Pay a competitive wage and give them the necessary resources to achieve their goals.

TBC is the number one tire and auto service company in America

Franchisee (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsTerrific teamwork, passion for excellence, and culture of growth

ConsHigh cost of li ing in some areas

Worked for TBC? Contribute to the Community!