TCF Bank Reviews

Updated September 10, 2014
2.7

TCF Bank CEO William Cooper
William Cooper

Pros
  • Flexible schedule makes this a great place to work while you are going to school (in 15 reviews)

• Good starting job, flexible hours (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Inconsistency from branch to branch causes chaos (in 15 reviews)

• There can be a diconnect between departments, causing customer service to be affected (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

This company was a great company to work for. The people were great, hours were flexible, and I never dreaded going in.

Former Employee - Teller II  in  Roseville, MI
    Former Employee - Teller II in Roseville, MI

I worked at TCF Bank part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Having friends there, environment, company values, benefits, salary

Cons

open 7 days a week

I learned a great deal while working at TCF Bank.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Teller II  in  Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Teller II in Aurora, IL

I worked at TCF Bank part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You learn a lot. You learn how to sell different products and services to existing and potential clients, you learn how to speak politely and professionally with your colleagues as well as clients, you learn how the banking system works and you learn to manage your time and keep up to date with policy changes, etc...

Cons

Sometimes you are micro-managed which can become annoying and disrupt you from doing what you do best without someone looking over your shoulder all the time. I think that they should receive some extra PTO.

Please do not come and give surprise visits, that only scares employees and lower management and they are constantly thinking about if you are going to show up or not and they don't focus on accomplishing their goals. Of course, you can have sales goals and deadlines and give warnings if they are not met but do not threaten their jobs because this will make them feel insecure and not perform to the best of their ability.

good first job out of college

Current Employee - Branch Supervisor
    Current Employee - Branch Supervisor

I have been working at TCF Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

-sales experience, very sales oriented. when i started, i didn't like the banking aspect of the job, but now that i just focus on the sales aspect its a lot more enjoyable.
    -ok career advancement
    -flexible scheduling
    -bonuses when you are a supervisor are great. you get personal and branch bonuses. even though I made 12.02, Ive bonused the last five months and it can equal to about 14 an hour
    -three weeks vacation time per year

Cons

-people who don't work with people think they know people. Our regional manager would have us making sales calls on sunday mornings to former and existing customers. corporate came in and took down all inviting aspects of our branch away. We have customers who come in and say how uninviting it is now and ask if we are closing (this happens on a daily basis)
    -company is constantly changing, its hard to ever actually learn policies and procedures. (TCF stands for things change frequently!)
    -I've worked here for a year and have had a new branch manager every four months
    -corporate politics
    -switch over at 3 can confuse customers and sometimes cause problems with new customers

figure out a sales strategy and stick with it.
    figure out anything and stick with it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Get your experience then leave

Current Employee - Teller  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Teller in Detroit, MI

I have been working at TCF Bank part-time for more than a year

Pros

will hire those with no banking experience
     great for getting your foot into the world of banking
    teaches sales and operations of banking
    works around school schedules well

Cons

low pay compared to competitors
    constantly changing policies
    changes products constantly
    customers are always mad at you because of the changes
    forced to deal with the upper managements back end schemes to charge the customers more money
    have to do the job of three people for less than the pay of one at another bank

stop changing things so often
    offer fair wages to your employees
    stop firing so many people for ridiculous reasons

Good college job

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at TCF Bank

Pros

I like my coworkers, and since they are open so much I am able to work around my school schedule

Cons

Upper management does not coach or train, it's just an endless barrage of phone calls telling you to open more accounts. Pay is low compared to other retail banks but higher than fast food.

Get your regional managers into the branches so they can be more in touch with what's going on. Also your advertising campaign has to align with what you ask of your employees and pay should be commensurate with other retail banks

"Have you heard about our free checking?" "Dont care, do you know where the pizzas are?"

Former Employee - Banking Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Banking Sales Representative

I worked at TCF Bank part-time for more than a year

Pros

The manager I had was willing to work with me while going through our pregnancy. Getting days off wasnt a headache. The money wasnt too bad for a part time job. Good if you like trying to sell things to people who have no interest in them. (was in a grocery store branch)

Cons

There was no chance for advancement. The turn around rate is extremely high, more or less feels like, get the new blood in there, have them bring all their friends and family, then let them go to keep the accounts.

Care about the people who give customer service, not just the ones who bring in tonnes of "filler" accounts just to hit numbers.

Not Enough

I have been working at TCF Bank

Pros

easy, advancement, growth, hours, location

Cons

old fashioned, boring, slow paced, repetitive, technologically disadvantaged, angry customers, policies

Working for Tcf Bank you always have to be ready for change

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager  in  Taylor, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Taylor, MI

I have been working at TCF Bank full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Tcf bank has some nice place to work with

Cons

Things changed FREQUENTLY is what Tcf stand for

You should make everyone in your regional is on the same page....

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at TCF Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to work and build your career. Management very supportive! Great company culture and fantastic employees! Enjoying working here everyday, would recommend this as great career place! Never been happier with an employer. TCF does try to promote within and gives everyone a fair chance to do great. Very professional atmosphere everywhere in a company and great rewards and bonuses!

Cons

Really don`t have any cons personally, love my job :)

Good start

Current Employee - Branch Supervisor  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Branch Supervisor in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at TCF Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very good start if you decided to pick 'Banking' for your future carrier, Good training and many challenges at work if you are a supervisor basically you run most of the operations at the branch! plus you do teller, management, and personal work at once ! so you will be a pro after 1 year

Cons

Online banking interface is very old and confusing, Mobile app is very limited and no phone check deposit, plus the bank is very conservative when it comes to step up and facing the new technology challenges like other bank are moving fast forward.
    I have many notes as CONS but its all about the higher ops not branch level ops. I think TCF having a financial difficulties or the hiring the wrong people (higher ops)

Hire new people with creative thoughts and plans, Old style Management is good for decision making, Training and planing. I think you need a young professional staff !!

Worked for TCF Bank? Contribute to the Community!