TCW Reviews

Updated October 27, 2014
3.6

TCW Interim CEO and Vice Chairman Marc I. Stern
Marc I. Stern

Great people. Great company.

Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at TCW as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

One of the best internship experiences around. Well thought out program and very helpful managers. The work environment was very professional and I was never treated like an intern.

Cons

I had no complaints about my time at TCW.

Great people, Great money to start.

I worked at TCW

Pros

office culture good. training adequate for job assigned to.

Cons

not many promotions if you do not wish to transfer location.

Business Analyst

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TCW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is very good in terms of work life balance. I would recommend this company if you have a family.

Cons

Lots of people that do not carry their weight

There's a lot of turnover right now but I believe its just because the financial markets are very active in expanding teams.

Get rid of the people that suck

Cushy Place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at TCW as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great work life balance for all levels.

Cons

Nepotism makes it hard for qualified people to get their feet in the door, quality of talent is mixed.

old dog, slowly learning new tricks

I worked at TCW

Pros

working with good people, opportunity for growth, this old dog company is slowly becoming more modern in policy and environment

Cons

lots of beaurocracy, very "silo" based structure (even with structural changes there remains a lot of "us vs them"), compensation is at or slightly below scale in many instances

Not the place it was

I worked at TCW full-time

Pros

Nice building and office space. Located Downtown. Good environment if you work for the right people. Benefits are fair. Challenging work environment filled with smart people.

Cons

New management lacks leadership. The company does not seem to have direction that has been communicated to employees. Unclear future is driving down morale.

Try and make employees feel wanted and motivate them to be a part of the "new" TCW.

Great company challenging work

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TCW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging work. Great company with room for career advancement.

Cons

Not a con if you are an A player but the company demands a a lot of its employees.

A sinking ship

Current Employee - Support Function in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Support Function in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TCW full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best of TCW - excellent talent, some amazing managers, collegiate environment, the dining room, generous pay, benefits, severance. Well appointed offices and work-life balance for most off the trading desk.

Cons

As MetWest management continues to take over, all that was good about TCW is no longer there. TCW was started by a billionaire, so requests were liberally granted, people were generally happy, and the founder considered the dining room as a place for ideas to flow across groups and people to interact with colleagues they might otherwise communicate with only by email. Was there waste, yes. Was there stinginess, not really. While the dining room isn't indispensable, it was a little perk that differentiated TCW from the pack, and people stayed at TCW for this very reason!

MW culture is the opposite. They are the startup that made it through hard work to get to $30B, and sheer luck to get to $120B, but the core group is still just as cheap, except with themselves. What is slowly creeping in is a pseudo-PIMCO culture, where even admins and HR are expected to put in "face-time", and are certainly not compensated for it. There is the perennial carrot stick, yet few ever receive their dues. MW employees are not allowed to eat in the dining room - Lippman has made it totally unacceptable, pitting lower level MW employees against their TCW counterparts. This does not make for friendly integration.

One of the worst characteristics of the MW culture is the cult of the trading floor. Support functions, like legal and compliance no less, are harassed and lambasted, and if a lowly IT person dares to call a trader on the floor, they're brought up, paraded around by Lippman for all to see the person who's about to get chewed out, and taken into his office. Lippman has no concept of how to use his authority, and instead chooses to rule through fear. A sign of a poor leader indeed.

This is really about Marc Stern. He's too busy with the LA Opera and his other obligations to run the company. You have two old guys who really don't reign in upper management, and the ship is running without a captain. That will all change soon as Lippman, Rivelle, and Lanndmann take over, and there will definitely be more oversight. But the oversight they'll provide will include cutting TCW to the bone, stripping all support functions, and being generally ruthless. My boss used to say "when you come to TCW, you stay at TCW". No more. People are leaving in droves, and layoffs will soon hit many others.

great place to learn

Former Employee - Investment Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Investment Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at TCW full-time

Pros

people, exposure to different types of transactions, compensation, good career opps

Cons

some office politics, but nothing you wouldn't see elsewhere

Great place to work. Some dept promoted faster than others.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at TCW

Pros

The company pays well and really has great people. You can get time off for vacation and personal matters pretty easily.

Cons

The company's culture can sometimes prevent them from making the right decisions. Promotions rarely go to the most accomplished employees.

Promote employees based on their merit. Be more flexible. Change with the industry.