TD Ameritrade

TD Ameritrade Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Jul 23, 2014

TD Ameritrade President, CEO & Director Fred Tomczyk

Fred Tomczyk

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good if you want to leave the office promptly at 5(in 18 reviews)

• Great benefits outside of salary(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • No sick pay, multiple upper management positions for single teams, TPS reports(in 12 reviews)

• I have no idea why some reviews suggest there is a good work/life balance(in 5 reviews)

34 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Investment firm or Tech company? You choose.

Software Design (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsReally pushing the envelope as far as trading platforms go. Teams across multiple cities task well together, even with the usual development hiccup. The company as a whole has a very family-oriented feeling, does plenty of outreach work, and is seen in the industry as an one of the best big firms. Definitely competitive pay too.

ConsTypical big-business organizational issues. Promotions not easy, but still there if you stick around long enough.

A Learning Experience

Infrastructure Analyst (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsExposure to many different platforms and application suites. There is a really steep learning curve and you have to catch on quick to be successful.

ConsManagement is very unstable and petty. Your manager one week is your co-worker the next and vice versa. Also, people tend to nurse grudges. CYA must be in your DNA to work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead, dont manage. Too many of the managers in ThinkTECH are out of their depth and take on projects way larger that they could ever complete on budget or time. Instead of rolling up their sleeves and working with their teams to get projects done, they crack the whip and degrade and stress out their subordinates...

The Best

Director (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsGreat people. Flat org structure. Great work-life balance. Management really cares about its employees. Best company I've ever worked for.

ConsAlways getting mixed up with TD Bank which is an entirely different company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great job to learn the business

Investment Consultant (Current Employee) Short Hills, NJ

ProsCompetitive incentive package, plenty of leads/relationships to call

ConsQuarterly goals always reset to zero with no trails, little communication among departments

Advice to Senior ManagementIf truly interested in decreasing employee turnover, bonuses earned should be on top of a higher base salary. Also, too much change in annual targets.

Strong company but the work in IT is boring

Software Developer I (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsFriendly people. Work-life balance is good if you want to leave the office promptly at 5.

ConsThere's not much room for innovation and excellence. There is a culture of "good enough" when it come to software design. Noone wants to go the "extra mile" to exceed expectations. Thats okay for some people but if you want to innovate or apply new skills/knowledge, Ameritrade is not the shop for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire assertive middle managers who want to push employees to do more.

Not bad and nothing more

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsFamily friendly, flexibility, no crazy deadlines, can go to the gym in lunch time

ConsHard to get a promotion, tiny merit increases, don't use competitive technologies, behind competitors, corporate overhead.

Stable , slow career growth

Associate (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

Prosrelaxed work environment, low basic pay, sure bonus

Conslimited opportunities to excel, poor employee retention

Good stepping stone and good for recent grads

Analyst (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

Prosregular 9-5 business hours, good work/life balance. The benefits are decent

ConsBoring and it's in Jersey. Managers are really good and making themselves appear productive to directors and MD. Salary is definitely low for finance sector.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo some work and don't throw everything to the analysts. Listen to why your employees are leaving and look at where they are going, learn from that.

Not so good, Not so bad.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsEvery three months bonus. work culture is not so bad.

Constoo many reorgs. No career growth. growth will be stalled.

Good place for a Series 7 to work

Investment Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsYou don't have to build a book. They have plenty of accounts to give you. Decent base salary.

ConsVery few get really high paying jobs. Hi turnover of management

Worked for TD Ameritrade? Contribute to the Community!