TD Ameritrade

TD Ameritrade Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

TD Ameritrade President, CEO & Director Fred Tomczyk

Fred Tomczyk

Pros:
  • "Work-life balance is good if you want to leave the office promptly at 5"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Great benefits outside of salary"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Little opportunity for advancement without relocating to Texas or Omaha where the headquarters are"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Technical side upper management doesn't always know what is going on"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Retirement Account Rep

I have been working at TD Ameritrade for less than a year

ProsPeople are laid back. My teammates are awesome. Management does a good job. A lot of events. Cafeteria food taste pretty good and is pretty cheap. You can get a lot of free stuff, if you are good at your job. Popcorn Wednesdays.

ConsOnly having 30 minutes for lunch. It flies by way too fast. Bathrooms are always closed because they are getting cleaned. It always seems to be the one you go to. The desks are too small.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot interested in bi-weekly coaching sessions.

Amazing company. 10/10 would apply again!

Software Support Engineer I (Current Employee)
Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time for more than a year

ProsThe benefits are outstanding, and the people were great to work with.

ConsVery complicated environment, which can be intimidating to new hires.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your direct reports. They do the work, so they have their ears close to the ground.

Fun, fast paced and educational

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time

Proscompetitive salary, fun atmosphere,

Consupward mobility limited, job limitations due to extremely high compliance

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Supportive Environment in a Competitive Business

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork/life balance is possible, managers work hard to support employees, most large office locations are beautiful and equipped to support employees (gym, cafeteria), support services are well-staffed and work to respond quickly and thoroughly, goals are clear, compensation is good, managers trained to coach employees to help them succeed, I really love working at TDA

ConsCompany culture not comfortable with quick innovative changes, can be a bit too conservative in approach at times

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing, creating an environment and culture that makes employees happy will result in happy clients

advisor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at TD Ameritrade

ProsGreat company, great values, customer centric, good place to work for employees as well, I would highly recommend working here.

ConsGreat company, great values, customer centric, good place to work for employees as well, I would highly recommend working here.

None!

National Branch Investment Consultant - Omaha

Investment Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGenerally good people, your colleagues, that you work with
Good benefits
Strong brand, especially in Omaha
Decent salary for a sales position, potential to make substantial salary

ConsHigh turnover…I did the job for 2 years/9 mos, and of the 45 people in the national branch when I started, there were maybe 8-10 left at the end of my 3 years.
Unable to really move anywhere except branch mgmt…and unless you wanted to move, not too attractive.
Even if you did want to move into branch mgmt, you better start your brown-nosing on day one
Some managers non-existent, some ultra micro managers, and the higher level mgmt didn't really offer any guidance. Branch managers mainly concerned with keeping their cushy jobs, which consisted of meetings about other meetings, being on their blackberry's, and figuring out ways to appease the IC's without actually figuring anything out and/or solving any issues.
A what have you done for me lately philosophy. They say it's about building relationships but you don't benefit from creating them. No trailers, paid to sell sell sell. If you already have the majority of a clients business, they want you to keep in contact, and you get dinged on money leaving, but there's no benefit to the IC if no new business opportunity.
If you take a seat, pray you don't have a couple of sub-par quarters in a row. You can still bonus, but it you don't get enough of some "blended" score they have you will be shown the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor branch/sales mgmt….have some clear direction, and when you change the comp plan every single year make it transparent. True, one can figure it out, but it doesn't need to be so convoluted.

Learned a lot, but TD will always be minor leagues of financial services

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
Fort Worth, TX

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDefinitely some good and professional people. Also, if you like working for an underdog, TD is constantly trying to nip at the heels of the Schwabs and Fidelities of the world. Access to very good trading education for those who desire to trade stocks and options.

ConsThe C suite condones a lot of the clique executive management behavior. I've seen a lot of really good people pushed out because of a small group of holier than thou execs who don't/won't demonstrate managerial courage. If you want a place where exec management subscribes to the group-think means of organizational development, work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some back bone. Stop being influenced by every piece of critical feedback you receive. Have conversations about issues and people concerns in an authentic and on the table manner. No more backhanded comments - tell it like it is, that's what people want and expect. Exec management, act like adults and stop the gossipy, clicky behavior.

Just a job.

Transfer Analyst (Former Employee)
Fort Worth, TX

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time for more than a year

ProsJust a job to get the bills paid. Nothing more...

ConsAdvancements aren't based off of experience, education or job knowledge.

Great company that is slowly cutting annual salary

New Client Consultant (Current Employee)
Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time for more than a year

Pros401k, dental, vison, gym reimbursement, tuition reimbursement

ConsSlowly paying less for performance or not keeping up with inflation

Investment Consultant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at TD Ameritrade

ProsDecent pay if you do well

ConsConstant sales and bad managers

Worked for TD Ameritrade? Contribute to the Community!

TD Ameritrade Videos

TD Ameritrade – Why Work for Us?

TD Ameritrade is a leading organization that has provided premier brokerage and investment services for over 37 years. Listed as one of Forbes’ "Global 2000" companies1, TD Ameritrade offers a full spectrum of… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TD Ameritrade reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for TD Ameritrade CEO Fred Tomczyk. All 274 reviews posted anonymously by TD Ameritrade employees.