TD Ameritrade

TD Ameritrade Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

TD Ameritrade President, CEO & Director Fred Tomczyk

Fred Tomczyk

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good if you want to leave the office promptly at 5 (in 18 reviews)

• Great benefits outside of salary (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • No sick pay, multiple upper management positions for single teams, TPS reports (in 12 reviews)

• I have no idea why some reviews suggest there is a good work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Dysfunctional Family

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent products and services. Sales associates can provide guidance without conflict in compensation. Good interdepartmental relationships in most cases.

ConsSenior leadership inconsistent with vision and objectives. Never clearly in line with employee productivity. Frequent random changes in objectives and needs confusing and interfering with production. Employee satisfaction surveys not acted on or addressed to meet leadership needs as opposed to employee needs. Subjectivity rampant in employee reviews.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell your employees that shareholder value is the ONLY true current objective. Address personal agendas of senior leadership. Incredible opportunity within TD platform to increase market share with better leadership and management. Employees are aware that they are not valued.

Isn't worth your integrity!

Client Services Representative (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsFree coffee, food and snacks

ConsHighly unorganized, nepotism, managers not qualified to answer questions and provide solutions, resources scattered, out of date and highly useless. Brokers were harsh and rude to customers...highly unprofessional. Lack of any real direction on company goals. Culture was very scattered on all types of issues, systems and procedures.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet you head out of the pot of gold for one second to see your managers are not qualified.

Company Does Not Value Employees

Retail Client Tech Support Representative (Former Employee)

ProsThe coworkers were very friendly. The company provided time at work to study for the Series 7 and 63.

ConsThere is no room to move within the company. I was informed that I had to stay at my position for an indefinite period of time, even though another department was interested in hiring me.

Also, lots of other departments will cold transfer calls to tech support, even if there is no tech issue. A large amount of the calls to tech support are complaints.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf an employee wants to move internally within the company to a position with a pay increase, and the managers of that department want to hire the employee, then please let that employee get the position. Instead of offering an external applicant the job that the internal applicant is interested in, please offer the external applicant a job for the position that the internal employee no longer wants to stay at.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you are an IC, you will be forced to quit within 2 years if you aren't at 75% of goal each quarter.

ProsGood coworkers, can make some good bonuses

ConsUnrealistic goals, shove products down clients' throats, micromanaged daily and sometimes by the hour, constantly at gunpoint

Advice to Senior ManagementGoals have increased by over 130% over the past 5 years, has the wealth in society increased that much? Why do IC's have the same goals in Denver as NY City? Isn't there a huge income/population difference? When 10% of the firm hit's the targets, isn't that a bad sign? A recent conference call for the year end, discussing the pay decreases we all received and mentioning the word "Shareholders" 63 times is a big problem. In my region, turnover is 40% over the past 2 years. You used to make 100k a year in this job easily, now you have to work over 40 hours a week and work on Saturdays in order to just hit that pay grid.

Transfer Analyst

Transfer Analyst (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsNice management staff and coworkers

ConsEarly shift. Felt like I was being watched over by Big Brother. Had to always report what we were doing (i.e. if we went to the bathroom, went to lunch, went to grab a coffee in the lounge). Felt like I couldn't go to the bathroom more than one or two times. Not a job for you if you are an active person.

Bad company to work for

Investment Consultant (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThere aren't many pros. The commission is good

ConsPoor training and employees are encouraged to churn clients

Advice to Senior ManagementHire ethical employees

No team work here

Executive Assistant (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsBenefits offered. Location. Quarterly PFP.

ConsNo team work, Horrible communication between Administrative Assistants

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees

was quick to get burned out at this job

Prosgot my licenses and learned a lot about the industry

Consa lot of crappy managers only had a few good ones...the bad managers mixed with the high work load made this job unbearable

Alcatraz Would Be More Tolerable!

Financial Representative (Former Employee) DFW, TX

Pros-Always something to laugh at.
    -Pay is more than reasonable for the majority of the employees.

ConsEverything! None of the positions at this company are glamorous, however a reasonable person would realize this and accept it for what it is. You are going to be on the phone all day doing a very repetitive job that will never be fun. This isn't Goldman Sachs and you will seldom have any conversation that will breach the borders of Finance 101. That being said, there is no shame in it and it certainly could be much worse. Sadly, the average employee at the company does not understand this. Most believe that they are the second coming of Gordon Gekko. I have seen employees rocking suspenders and bowties, albeit surely from JC Penney or Kohl's. Unfortunately, the corporate culture actually endorses such behavior which only proliferates the douchery. All in the good name of fun, the company has created a culture that demeans the individual. I once had to participate in an event that involved making a bridge out of toothpicks as a teambuilding event. The odd thing is you are never really on a team, because you are all on your own on the phone!! I had 7 managers in 6 years and each one was a simpleton. They will attempt to brainwash you at all costs. You will constantly be advised to work on your "brand". It's absolutely unreal. Everyday I went to work I felt like Luke Wilson in Idiocracy. Now that being said, if you are someone who is not very bright and enjoys holding on to your childhood, then by all means this is the ideal place for you. However, if you have an IQ north of 85 I would suggest seeking out other opportunities. This place will drive you insane!!

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no advice I can give you. It would fall on deaf ears anyways.

Overworked at an extremely stressful pace

Investment Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsLarge number of clients who need help. They pay for educational endeavors that relate to your career!

ConsNo one cares about anyone else. Clients that you have worked very hard for can get reassigned or changed to other reps without notice. Cold, cut-throat environment. I have no idea why some reviews suggest there is a good work/life balance. My experience was working occasional weekends and 12 hour week days, while getting in trouble if ever leaving before 6 PM. Absolutely horrible CRM and other tools. Technology is a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost ICs are afraid to admit to upper management how they really feel because they fear reprisals. Do exit interviews. (Especially to those who were consistent top-performers.)

Worked for TD Ameritrade? Contribute to the Community!