TD Ameritrade

Updated August 15, 2014

3.5

TD Ameritrade President, CEO & Director Fred Tomczyk
Fred Tomczyk

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good if you want to leave the office promptly at 5 (in 18 reviews)

• Great benefits outside of salary (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • No sick pay, multiple upper management positions for single teams, TPS reports (in 12 reviews)

• I have no idea why some reviews suggest there is a good work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

My experience with TDA has been a long and positive experience.

Pros

TD Ameritrade is a very good company to work for. Their benefits package rivals most large corporations. Leadership within the operations/technology business units are competent and flexible. TDA currently has 5 core values which they strive to follow everyday.

Cons

HR can be a little restrictive. They will speak in vague terms such as "industry standard" and such when limiting or eliminating certain needs that an associate may have.

sales

Pros

good work life balance, innovative products, fun culture- great people

Cons

benefits are terrible, and routes are limited if you don't want to manage people

TD Ameritrade is a great wholesome company to work for

Current Employee - Financial Representative Broker  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Financial Representative Broker in Omaha, NE

Pros

Professional, open door, lots of associate engagment, and overall very open to helping you advance in which ever career path you decide to go with

Cons

The series 7 is difficult to obtain. Also usually have to stay in postion for 6-12 months before attempting to move to another one.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company.

Current Employee - Investment Consultant  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Investment Consultant in Omaha, NE

Pros

Fast paced. great pay. ok benefits

Cons

they are moving towards a metric based performance. Call time, dials etc... it is beginning to feel micro managed. overall still bearable

stop trying to move towards micro management

Good experience, room for advancement if you perform

Former Employee - Relationship Ma  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Relationship Ma in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

They treat there employees well and try and take good care of them. They were flexible with me when I needed time off.

Cons

The pay was fair but I had a terrible commute. You are really a customer service rep and not a RM.

Program execution

Pros

Very focused, clear direction, quick results and feedback

Cons

Hard to bring focus on long term strategy

The organization could benefit from a focus on leadership coaching

Fun

Pros

Great work environment, team's are always engaged and have fun together

Cons

Team gatherings seem redundant and not a lot really gets done during them

Awesome place to work with Awesome people!

Former Employee - Project Coordinator  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in San Diego, CA

Pros

The best thing about this place is that it is not your standard '9-5'. There isn't a clock that you punch in and out of, the people you work with end up being more like family as there are always events outside of work like Habitat for Humanity or other community events. The compensation is reasonable and managers truly have an open door policy.

Cons

Honestly, I never found anything bad about working at TD Ameritrade, there may have been one or two people that I didn't mix well with but there are so many other good people here that you don't even notice that rare person you might not like to work with.

Management was great. They were fun and easy going while maintaining a professional relationship. I would've stayed here longer had I not relocated to San Francisco to return to school. I would apply in a heart beat if there was an opening today!

Dysfunctional Family

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

Pros

Excellent products and services. Sales associates can provide guidance without conflict in compensation. Good interdepartmental relationships in most cases.

Cons

Senior leadership inconsistent with vision and objectives. Never clearly in line with employee productivity. Frequent random changes in objectives and needs confusing and interfering with production. Employee satisfaction surveys not acted on or addressed to meet leadership needs as opposed to employee needs. Subjectivity rampant in employee reviews.

Tell your employees that shareholder value is the ONLY true current objective. Address personal agendas of senior leadership. Incredible opportunity within TD platform to increase market share with better leadership and management. Employees are aware that they are not valued.

Slow decline

Former Employee - Investment Consultant  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Investment Consultant in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Coworkers are great and the teamwork is second to none. The pay wasn't bad and the benefits were okay. I was promoted 4 times in 5 years, so upward mobility is possible.

Cons

130% increase in sales targets for the same pay, which means more hours have to be worked. When I started 5 years ago, the employees came first, but now shareholders come first. That'd be fine and dandy, if all employees had stock options and not just senior management. Bonuses have been declining for the last 3 years and you've had layoffs, while your CEO announces a record bonus for himself(not a good idea for moral). No trails on sales, no benefit for keeping clients satisfied, encouraged to churn clients since it's the only way to get sales commissions.

Take a look at your turnover. The 90% retention was a bragging point in 2009 and the industry was bleeding reps. Now that it's around 70%, you might want to concentrate on retaining the talent that made it possible for you to reach those "record breaking quarters" you've been having. If a manager has 80% turnover annually, it's probably a lack of management skills and should look to replace them. You're nothing without your employees. Do not lie to your employees, EVER. I was happy for 5 years and then was lied to and promised all kinds of things in a new role that went bust in 6 months and when I mentioned I'd like to go back to my previous role, I was told "too bad".

Worked for TD Ameritrade? Contribute to the Community!