www.tdameritrade.com

Updated January 30, 2015
3.5

TD Ameritrade President, CEO & Director Fred Tomczyk
Fred Tomczyk

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good if you want to leave the office promptly at 5 (in 21 reviews)

• Great benefits outside of salary (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • No sick pay, multiple upper management positions for single teams, TPS reports (in 13 reviews)

• In our department (Coaching) you are not conservative you might be looked down upon by middle management (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Apply elsewhere...

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time

Pros

Great training .... Good place to start...

Cons

Pay is low ..... No upward mobility .....

Increase pay...... ceo thinks he can get away with increasing metrics and keeping employees working with lower than industry pay ..... Company will eventually go downhill ....

Call Center Associate

Current Employee - Call Center Associate in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Call Center Associate in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade

Pros

Good Pay. Good People. Good Company

Cons

Non-stop calls. Sales lead quotas. Risk of call center burnout. Very difficult to get promoted out of the call center since you are so isolated from the rest of the company.

Good not great company

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They paid me to get my series 7 and 63, something I found impossible to find on my way out of college. Every brokerage I applied at wanted someone with them already for an entry level job. Kinda mutually exclusive the way the industry works. Definitely opportunity for advancement, most people above me right now are not much older or have only been there a minimal number of years.

Cons

Only 3 weeks vacation a year, get stuck with some holidays not as holiday pay if that is your normal shift. For a brokerage firm a .5 percent match up to 6 is pretty embarrassing compared to other firms especially being in the industry. Beginning training was tough on some of my class because they weren't prepared to handle incoming client calls. It might be because a lot of my coworkers don't have a finance backround/degree and no general interest in the market.

Please up the 401k match, currently losing to Fidelity, Vanguard, Merrill and even Mcdonalds. That's not something to be proud about. Also a greater discount on employee brokerage accounts.

Good place to work and build a career

Current Employee - Software Developer II in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Software Developer II in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There are good opportunities for growth on the job and to transition into other roles. Good work - life balance. Physical office space is LEED Platinum.

Cons

Teams are in multiple geographic locations, mostly as the result of mergers and acquisitions. This is not a significant problem but can pose some challenges to productivity.

Former Employee - New Client Consultant
    Former Employee - New Client Consultant

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture. Really big into rewards and recognition. They also really empower associates to make decisions. In Omaha they have work out facilities, and it seems like they were always feeding us free lunch.

Cons

I found it pretty difficult to move into certain areas of the company. If you wanted to manage people who took phone calls there were opportunities there, but if you didn't there didn't seem to be a lot of choices unless you were willing to take a pay cut.

The only flaw I really think needed addressing is that the variable compensation for people on the phones was a bit Wild West at times. You often had to play games and not close business if you wanted to get paid for your work, meaning you ended up pretending not to be able to help the client because inbound sales roles required you to make a referral to consultants who had the same credentials you had. Some people really exploited this and it didn't end up always being the best thing for the client.

Sales

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Sales incentive is robust if you want to do the work. Helping clients and finding solutions for them is rewarding. Lots of locations to move up in your career. Dallas, NJ, Omaha, Chicago, Salt Lake City. Good benefits.

Cons

Lean management practices seem to have the branches slowing down versus being more efficient. Had some turnover over the last two years.

Lots of promises, poor pay. Not competitive.

Current Employee - Investment Consultant in Scarsdale, NY
    Current Employee - Investment Consultant in Scarsdale, NY

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good experience working with clients

Cons

Poor pay, goals increase and pay does not. Average tenure is 2.5 years, management sees us as worker bees and that we are expendable. The in house products are generic and underperforming vs peers and benchmarks.

Don't forget your employees

All about the numbers

Former Employee - New Accounts Associate in Bellevue, NE
    Former Employee - New Accounts Associate in Bellevue, NE

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay for those with little to no experience in the workforce. Excellent training programs.

Cons

Promotion in responsibility, pay, and/or title is VERY competitive and difficult to acheive. Very regimented workplace with heavy reliance on performance metrics and very little encouragement for creative thinking or process improvement.

You know how to hire intelligent, productive workers. Let them know they are appreciated. The HR and management practices seem to reflect the stock trading industry mentality -- measuring and 'buying/selling' employees like shares of stock. Employees can offer so much more to the bottom line than what you are measuring!

Great if you're young or live in a flyover state

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can't dump on a company for being a low cost producer that grows by acquisition. If you are very high in the chain that's great. Stable company that's not going anywhere.

Cons

Your not supporting a family in NYC metro and You're not leveraging this for a job on Wall Street unless you want a quick crash course in functional stuff before heading to a retail job. If you are a liberal arts major from a non target school, probably better to head to a bank branch for a relationship manager job. At least you'll learn to sell. Then head to grad school.

You've built a great company

AMTD review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great associate environment. Committed to community improvement and philanthropy. Generally allows work/life balance flexibility.

Cons

Below market salaries and lopsided compensation between executives and other associates. Kool Aid drinkers can be disingenuous and even threatening.

Focus on core competencies and stop reaching. Fighting organic growth trends in derivative demand and focusing on accumulating assets.