TD Ameritrade Reviews

Reset

1. No Paid Sick days for Employees/Children, No Annual Childcare Discounts

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at TD Ameritrade (More than 10 years)

Pros

Licenses, Experience, People; If you do not have children and never get sick you can actually use your vacation days!

Cons

No Sick Days, No Childcare Discount, No Help For Childcare During Inclement Weather; Director disconnect in how policies affect employees

Advice to Management

If People Matter is a core value, then providing childcare discounts and sick days should be part of your compensation package. When daycares are closed due to inclement weather, schools are closed due to inclement weather. Any paid time off you have to save for snowstorms, or if you or your children get sick. No help from TD Ameritrade. I need to look for an employer with real childcare benefits if I ever want to take a vacation or save more money. HUGE dissatisfier. Firm used to offer 10% discount for childcare and retention bonuses. Now you can leave your children at a random daycare for up to 10 days at a discounted rate-- and thats it no other childcare discounts. Ten maximum days, good luck with that!! The longer I've been here the less monetary compensation in total benefits I've received. Daycare is a large expense, better has ended...

TD Ameritrade Response

Jun 1, 2015 – Manager, Talent Acquisition Strategy

At TD Ameritrade we work hard to create an environment that provides as much flexibility as possible for our employees. While we do not have dedicated “sick” time, we do have a paid-time-off (“PTO ... More

2. Lack of support

Former Employee - Investment Consultant in Margate, FL
    Former Employee - Investment Consultant in Margate, FL

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice company to work for . The benefits and pay are pretty good, even if most of your bonus is in company stock.

Cons

Lack of support for investment consultants. You have goals to make and selling managed money is easy but there is not enough support personal.

Advice to Management

Hire more support personal, amerivesr is a good program but more people answering the phone helps. Also add insurance products!

3. Senior Account Manager

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is prestige in the title and position that differentiate from the standard Financial Services Representative. You work very closely with TD Ameritrade's highest value retail clients that have more than $1 million with the firm and form relationships with many consistent callers. You are able to call clients back instead of taking inbound calls only. You have more flexibility to work with operations to make sure your client's needs are met in a timely manner. The pay increase is substantial from the standard Financial Services Rep position.

Cons

The stress can be extreme because although the expectation is there to assist the highest value clients the statistical incentive is not. There is no built in time from workforce management to help these higher value clients beyond what a regular financial services rep receives that is dealing with lower value clients. You are taking on a higher work load and more accountability but the position itself seems to still be in the experimental mode with management as the expectations are constantly changing.

Advice to Management

My suggestion is to create statistics and schedules for your senior account managers more in line with the service that you want your elite clients to receive.

I loved working there for years, but they decided to increase targets too high and micromanage to the nth degree.

Former Employee - Branch Investment Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Branch Investment Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company, great clients, good pay, great tools, great service. Over all was a great place to work. Learned a lot over the years and enjoyed my co-workers.

Cons

MICROMANAGEMENT!!! Higher goals every year with less pay, no clear career path to better positions. New management is more interested in paying them self's more and taking from the employees that make the firm successful. Very sad that they lost their way. Many good and loyal employees left due to their greed. Shame on them!!

Advice to Management

Get a clue!!! You are where you are now, because of great employee that built the company over many years and you just pushed them aside. You will see less and less business coming your way, clients will get tired of the endless harassment. Balance is the key to long term success and capital appreciation. Not squeezing the life out of your most important asset, the employees!!! Duhhhh!!

6. compensation consulting

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time

Pros

culture, innovator, compensation, flat organization, work life balance

Cons

not many I can think of

7. TDA is a great place to start out in the financial industry as the people, culture, and values are fantastic.

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time

Pros

The culture and values are fantastic. Very much a performance based culture.

Cons

Compensation is good but not industry high.

8. Good opportunity

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time

Pros

Opportunity to make good money

Cons

Opportunity depends on the book of business you are given

9. Client Services

Current Employee - Client Service Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Client Service Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back environment, gives you time to study for exams on company hours

Cons

Abysmal back office who constantly messes up means the majority of your time is spent fixing mistakes, none of which being your own

Client Services - Investools (Draper)

Former Employee - Client Services Representative in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Client Services Representative in Draper, UT

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people working there. Good benefits such as health insurance, profit sharing, 401k and roth options, free gym membership, and many others. Overall, this is a good company if you're looking to pay your bills. If you want to accomplish great things in your career, don't go there. Hardly any room to advance here and all the major jobs with TDA are located in Nebraska or Texas.

Cons

Company increases goals every year-- making it harder and harder to make the same amount of money year over year. Meanwhile, CEO salary increases nearly $1,000,000 every year. For being a technology company, their technology blows. They're using systems that "save" money but cause nothing but headaches and slowdowns for the workforce. The site isn't mobile friendly and any problems reported on the website to development doesn't get fix for several weeks sometimes months. Anytime there are updates to the site you can expect problems. Testing in development department is non existent. Company is just a huge sales company that simply wants everyone's money and will do anything to get it.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more for the crap they have to deal with. Be willing to engage employees more. Stop paying CEO stupid amount of money while decreasing everyone elses. Do away with Merit pay raises. Make Draper location a solid TDA location.

11. Painful

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Free trail mix and that is all I can think of but I am forced to write a minimum of twenty words

Cons

Everything except the previously mentioned trail mix....it had M&Ms in it. Wait, that isn't healthy! Scratch the pros......It is a really god awful environment that promotes stupidity

Advice to Management

Wow....get an education. A series 7 does not constitute financial mastery.

RSS Feed </> Embed