TD Auto Finance

Add Photos

Tim Hockey

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great People

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at TD Auto Finance full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people throughout the company. Everyone is willing to help you further your career.

ConsNothing bad to say just really unfortunate of the recent lay offs.

Take the negative reviews with a grain of salt

IT Professional (Current Employee)

I have been working at TD Auto Finance full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI have been with TD Auto Finance for almost 9 years, and have found it to be a multifaceted growing experience. Is the turnover high, sure it is... it seems to be about the same as all the other companies I have worked with. The benefits are competitively up there, even with the focus on being healthy next year. There are always lots of changes, and I have seen this auto finance unit grow significantly over the last several years, but that's good considering the economy and the auto industry crisis of 2008. What I would recommend if you are reviewing these comments while considering a job with TD Auto Finance is to go out and talk to the staff of other companies about their workplaces and make your own first hand opinion post networking with other professionals. It is actually quite easy to be successful at TD Auto Finance, work hard, be dependable, be consistent in character, have good attendance, do your job, give an honest day's work and you will be just fine.

ConsThe one thing I would recommend is to make better hiring decisions. I know we have to fill jobs really fast because it puts stress on everyone else when there is an opening, but if we took more time to make sure they were a fit and verified the source of their work ethic referrals we would likely see less turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on driving us towards our mission: “We will be the Best Run, Customer-Focused, Integrated Financial Institution, with a Unique and Inclusive Employee Culture.”

Horrible leadership, lack of effective management in Farmington Hills Technology Solutions.

Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at TD Auto Finance as a contractor for more than a year

ProsTRMIS, BOSS, the cafeteria, all other business units in the building are large cohesive groups that are knowledgeable, hard working, easy to work with, and proud be a part of TD culture. Simply put, Technology Solutions is not. Management accountability is a problem. Truth be told, they cover their own and each other's *sses to set each other up for cross-departmental promotions. Only then can a security operations manager become an architecture manager, an application team manager become the security operations manager, a business analyst become an architecture manager, and an eccentric DBA become a solutions architect all with zero experience in their new roles and limited knowledge transfer due to everyone leaving. The best part of ever working here was employee appreciation week. This was the only time that everyone's existence was ever acknowledged. Sidenote: Each manager was supposed to write a personal thank you card for each of their workers...EPIC FAIL.

ConsContractors vs. Employees- there is a HUGE disconnect between the two and management makes you realize it. Compensation is always going to be lower than expected as well as any type of leadership you may seek. Be weary of architecture management-there are many new management roles and they, along with their department head, don't have a clue about managing/leading/coaching people. If you like a steady 9-5, don't even consider working here. The managers and employees will all leave by 5 (if not earlier) and after calling a 4:30 meeting, you will be responsible for 9am deliverables, even if it happens to be a 12 page memo. Gossip runs rampant around these parts (especially amongst the females), so it can be extremely difficult to trust your colleagues and even your manager, as they may just throw you under the bus for THEIR lack of attention, readiness, and know-how.

Just started

Funding (Current Employee)
Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at TD Auto Finance as an intern for less than a year

ProsMy co- workers seem cool

ConsI noticed some things while I been there so far the lack of communication is terrible..

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on communicating better with your employees.

Current insider Evaluation

Retail Credit Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at TD Auto Finance

ProsThe analysts on the desk in retail credit are some of the best people I have worked with. The vast majority are extremely competent in not only their field but many disciplines. Due to the economic downturn in Metro Detroit, this company has had access to a talented cross-section that they would not have been able to touch normally. They are sadly mistreated, underpaid and under appreciated. The people of Retail Credit and Funding are the backbone of the organization

For the most part, management is understanding of individual needs for time off. Most understand that the current and future schedule is the creation of

A) The Devil himself

B) Someone who doesn't recognize the need for personal time b/c they don't work weekends

C) Just doesn't care

D) All the above

They really do try to make arrangements to help you get time off. Supervisors are, unfortunately, wardens of a penitentiary that will abuse them if they dont abuse us.

You do learn strong phone, sales and negotiating skills while on the desk.

ConsWhere to begin.....well lets start with the contracting houses.

To put it plainly, the contracting houses lie. Aerotek, Mergis and Robert Half all lie to their contractors. They reel in unsuspecting professionals and new grads with promises of opportunity, advancements and hiring within 60-90 days. Most classes have had to wait nearly a year to be hired. During that time period, you are a cross between a whipping boy and a marionette who has to walk on eggshells because any morning your contracting house can call and say that you are finished w/o any explanation.

Supervisors:
There are a few supervisors who do an outstanding job at supporting their analysts and allowing them the discretion to be analysts. The vast majority have absolutely no idea what it means to be a manager or a leader. Most were people who were rewarded for sticking around during the dark days of CF. "Coaching" does not mean micro manage, chastise, castigate, or publicly ridicule an employee for circumstances that are genuine mistakes.

The coaching environment is a debacle, Combine lack of communication from higher ups with people who have no idea what it means to "coach" and you get people mirco-managing weak information or misinformation. Some have completely let the concept of coaching, perpetuated by higher ups, go to their heads. No matter what is correct or fair, it is their world. It is my opinion that the company should spend less on Xmas parties and send the supervisors to a leadership development course.

Schedule:
It is a nightmare, you will have no life. every week the days off are different. The entire schedule is planned a year in advance with your input after the fact. Not to mention that the shifts are 10 hours.

People are leaving, you see it and you know why.........

Advice to Senior Management1) Stop burying your head as to why people are slowly leaving......otherwise they will continue to
2) Don't see retail credit as the blockers and tacklers, they are the quarterbacks. Without them, their is no building
3)Get rid of the "coaching opportunity" and use it as a chance to really engage your employees instead of debasing them.
4)Use the breadth of knowledge and experience in that department. A lot are former business owners, masters degrees and people with bright ideas. And I dont mean just in that dept, use them in the other depts as well.
5) Finally, develop some real top to bottom communication.

Worked for TD Auto Finance? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TD Auto Finance reviews and ratings in Farmington Hills, MI — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for TD Auto Finance CEO Tim Hockey. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by TD Auto Finance employees.