TD Auto Finance Reviews

Tim Hockey

1. Retail Credit Analyst Ii

Current Employee - Senior Retail Credit Analyst in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Retail Credit Analyst in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at TD Auto Finance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with TDAF for the last 4 years in Retail Credit. It is by far the best corporate environment I have worked in. Most of the managers truly care about you and your career. They are very caring and accommodating with personal issues especially considering the complexity of the schedule. It is an environment where mistakes frequently happen but in most cases you are coached very respectfully so you can ensure it doesn't happen again. I believe this is very important since we are working with consumers financial future. The people in Retail Credit are all very nice and make it a fun place to work. I have seen several people who started around my time move on two, and three times to new roles within and out of Retail Credit. Compensation is competitive. For working the late shift, I get paid 10% more. PTO is great.

Cons

The schedule can be hard since you work 2 out of 3 Saturdays a month. Since this is the busiest day, it can be hard to use PTO. The department does allow you to switch as many as you want though to accommodate your personal life. Some of the managers could learn from others in their approach and style. There were layoffs last year and currently hearing there may be more. Although I understand why, it is still a hard environment to work in.

Advice to Management

When planning layoffs, instead of giving us a heads up, just do it. Senior Managers need to be more involved in making sure the middle managers approach is effective and consistent with others.

2. A great place to propel your career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at TD Auto Finance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great amount of paid time off. Good inclusive culture. Stability of a huge organization. TDAF offers a lot of opportunities for career advancement (especially in Farmington Hills) but it's not going to happen overnight. Work hard, excel in your current role and opportunities within the organization will arise. Pay is competitive (after adjustments were recently made). Are there better places to work in the Metro Detroit area? Maybe, but the grass is not always greener once you leave. Overall, I enjoy my job and am proud to say that I work at TD. I have been treated with respect by all of my Managers, regardless of the region or department. They really do go out of their way to make everyone feel welcome.

Cons

The clocking in for Retail Credit really is overkill (although I do understand that it's imperative that people in that role need to be ready to service our dealers at their scheduled start time). Pay was previously subpar, has improved, but could still be better to retain talent.

3. Terrible Place to work

Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at TD Auto Finance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

nice building
    employees are nice

Cons

too many middle management
    VP -> AVP -> Senior Manager -> Manager -> Employee -> Contractors for a size of 1000?

Advice to Management

Cut all the middle managers out - don't need that.

5. Diverse Company with Potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at TD Auto Finance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture is very diverse. Good for someone starting out right out of college.

Cons

Compensation is adequate, but could be better. Cost cutting reduced training and professional growth opportunities.

Advice to Management

Consider cutting in other areas than training.

6. A terrific ride that I was sad to end, but needed to move on to further my career.

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at TD Auto Finance full-time

Pros

The company treated us well in regards to compensation and time off policies. I felt that management had my interests when it came to promoting me within the department, however, there is only so far up you can go before you hit a limit. I unfortunately reached that limit and to progress any further I needed to venture out to other companies.

Cons

The negativity that was present from those who were part of the company before the TD Acquisition was awful. It had a tendency to bring down spirits in the department and make those who were new feel like they were being cheated out of something great, when in reality they had a pretty great position.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people and strive to make them feel like they belong in the company. Also continue to promote from within and encourage constant learning from your employees.

7. It's good if you get out of Retail Credit... If you can...

Former Employee - Retail Credit Analyst in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Retail Credit Analyst in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at TD Auto Finance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good starting job
    - Decent starting pay
    - Fun to laugh at management decisions
    - Good time off... If you are able to use it

Cons

- Extremely limited growth, extremely hard to get out of the Retail Credit Department to expand career opportunities
    - Awful corporate culture in the Retail Credit Department
    - Limited communication from upper management
    - Limited management experience from current managers
    - Work/life balance is non existent, looked down on if you take off Saturdays, work 3/4 Saturdays a month.
    - No appreciation of employees, upper management tends to lie and not truly speak their mind

Advice to Management

Treat people like humans

8. Great People

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at TD Auto Finance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people throughout the company. Everyone is willing to help you further your career.

Cons

Nothing bad to say just really unfortunate of the recent lay offs.

9. Take the negative reviews with a grain of salt

Current Employee - IT Professional in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at TD Auto Finance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been with TD Auto Finance for almost 9 years, and have found it to be a multifaceted growing experience. Is the turnover high, sure it is... it seems to be about the same as all the other companies I have worked with. The benefits are competitively up there, even with the focus on being healthy next year. There are always lots of changes, and I have seen this auto finance unit grow significantly over the last several years, but that's good considering the economy and the auto industry crisis of 2008. What I would recommend if you are reviewing these comments while considering a job with TD Auto Finance is to go out and talk to the staff of other companies about their workplaces and make your own first hand opinion post networking with other professionals. It is actually quite easy to be successful at TD Auto Finance, work hard, be dependable, be consistent in character, have good attendance, do your job, give an honest day's work and you will be just fine.

Cons

The one thing I would recommend is to make better hiring decisions. I know we have to fill jobs really fast because it puts stress on everyone else when there is an opening, but if we took more time to make sure they were a fit and verified the source of their work ethic referrals we would likely see less turnover.

Advice to Management

Keep on driving us towards our mission: “We will be the Best Run, Customer-Focused, Integrated Financial Institution, with a Unique and Inclusive Employee Culture.”

10. Horrible leadership, lack of effective management in Farmington Hills Technology Solutions.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at TD Auto Finance as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

TRMIS, BOSS, the cafeteria, all other business units in the building are large cohesive groups that are knowledgeable, hard working, easy to work with, and proud be a part of TD culture. Simply put, Technology Solutions is not. Management accountability is a problem. Truth be told, they cover their own and each other's *sses to set each other up for cross-departmental promotions. Only then can a security operations manager become an architecture manager, an application team manager become the security operations manager, a business analyst become an architecture manager, and an eccentric DBA become a solutions architect all with zero experience in their new roles and limited knowledge transfer due to everyone leaving. The best part of ever working here was employee appreciation week. This was the only time that everyone's existence was ever acknowledged. Sidenote: Each manager was supposed to write a personal thank you card for each of their workers...EPIC FAIL.

Cons

Contractors vs. Employees- there is a HUGE disconnect between the two and management makes you realize it. Compensation is always going to be lower than expected as well as any type of leadership you may seek. Be weary of architecture management-there are many new management roles and they, along with their department head, don't have a clue about managing/leading/coaching people. If you like a steady 9-5, don't even consider working here. The managers and employees will all leave by 5 (if not earlier) and after calling a 4:30 meeting, you will be responsible for 9am deliverables, even if it happens to be a 12 page memo. Gossip runs rampant around these parts (especially amongst the females), so it can be extremely difficult to trust your colleagues and even your manager, as they may just throw you under the bus for THEIR lack of attention, readiness, and know-how.

11. Just started

Current Intern - Funding in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Intern - Funding in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at TD Auto Finance as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

My co- workers seem cool

Cons

I noticed some things while I been there so far the lack of communication is terrible..

Advice to Management

Work on communicating better with your employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed