TD Auto Finance Reviews

Tim Hockey

1. Diverse Company with Potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at TD Auto Finance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The culture is very diverse. Good for someone starting out right out of college.

Cons

Compensation is adequate, but could be better. Cost cutting reduced training and professional growth opportunities.

Consider cutting in other areas than training.

2. Terrible Place to work

Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at TD Auto Finance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

nice building
    employees are nice

Cons

too many middle management
    VP -> AVP -> Senior Manager -> Manager -> Employee -> Contractors for a size of 1000?

Cut all the middle managers out - don't need that.

3. A terrific ride that I was sad to end, but needed to move on to further my career.

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at TD Auto Finance full-time

Pros

The company treated us well in regards to compensation and time off policies. I felt that management had my interests when it came to promoting me within the department, however, there is only so far up you can go before you hit a limit. I unfortunately reached that limit and to progress any further I needed to venture out to other companies.

Cons

The negativity that was present from those who were part of the company before the TD Acquisition was awful. It had a tendency to bring down spirits in the department and make those who were new feel like they were being cheated out of something great, when in reality they had a pretty great position.

Listen to your people and strive to make them feel like they belong in the company. Also continue to promote from within and encourage constant learning from your employees.

5. It's good if you get out of Retail Credit... If you can...

Former Employee - Retail Credit Analyst in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Retail Credit Analyst in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at TD Auto Finance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Good starting job
    - Decent starting pay
    - Fun to laugh at management decisions
    - Good time off... If you are able to use it

Cons

- Extremely limited growth, extremely hard to get out of the Retail Credit Department to expand career opportunities
    - Awful corporate culture in the Retail Credit Department
    - Limited communication from upper management
    - Limited management experience from current managers
    - Work/life balance is non existent, looked down on if you take off Saturdays, work 3/4 Saturdays a month.
    - No appreciation of employees, upper management tends to lie and not truly speak their mind

Treat people like humans

6. Great People

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at TD Auto Finance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people throughout the company. Everyone is willing to help you further your career.

Cons

Nothing bad to say just really unfortunate of the recent lay offs.

7. Take the negative reviews with a grain of salt

Current Employee - IT Professional in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at TD Auto Finance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have been with TD Auto Finance for almost 9 years, and have found it to be a multifaceted growing experience. Is the turnover high, sure it is... it seems to be about the same as all the other companies I have worked with. The benefits are competitively up there, even with the focus on being healthy next year. There are always lots of changes, and I have seen this auto finance unit grow significantly over the last several years, but that's good considering the economy and the auto industry crisis of 2008. What I would recommend if you are reviewing these comments while considering a job with TD Auto Finance is to go out and talk to the staff of other companies about their workplaces and make your own first hand opinion post networking with other professionals. It is actually quite easy to be successful at TD Auto Finance, work hard, be dependable, be consistent in character, have good attendance, do your job, give an honest day's work and you will be just fine.

Cons

The one thing I would recommend is to make better hiring decisions. I know we have to fill jobs really fast because it puts stress on everyone else when there is an opening, but if we took more time to make sure they were a fit and verified the source of their work ethic referrals we would likely see less turnover.

Keep on driving us towards our mission: “We will be the Best Run, Customer-Focused, Integrated Financial Institution, with a Unique and Inclusive Employee Culture.”

8. Horrible leadership, lack of effective management in Farmington Hills Technology Solutions.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at TD Auto Finance as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

TRMIS, BOSS, the cafeteria, all other business units in the building are large cohesive groups that are knowledgeable, hard working, easy to work with, and proud be a part of TD culture. Simply put, Technology Solutions is not. Management accountability is a problem. Truth be told, they cover their own and each other's *sses to set each other up for cross-departmental promotions. Only then can a security operations manager become an architecture manager, an application team manager become the security operations manager, a business analyst become an architecture manager, and an eccentric DBA become a solutions architect all with zero experience in their new roles and limited knowledge transfer due to everyone leaving. The best part of ever working here was employee appreciation week. This was the only time that everyone's existence was ever acknowledged. Sidenote: Each manager was supposed to write a personal thank you card for each of their workers...EPIC FAIL.

Cons

Contractors vs. Employees- there is a HUGE disconnect between the two and management makes you realize it. Compensation is always going to be lower than expected as well as any type of leadership you may seek. Be weary of architecture management-there are many new management roles and they, along with their department head, don't have a clue about managing/leading/coaching people. If you like a steady 9-5, don't even consider working here. The managers and employees will all leave by 5 (if not earlier) and after calling a 4:30 meeting, you will be responsible for 9am deliverables, even if it happens to be a 12 page memo. Gossip runs rampant around these parts (especially amongst the females), so it can be extremely difficult to trust your colleagues and even your manager, as they may just throw you under the bus for THEIR lack of attention, readiness, and know-how.

9. Just started

Current Intern - Funding in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Intern - Funding in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at TD Auto Finance as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

My co- workers seem cool

Cons

I noticed some things while I been there so far the lack of communication is terrible..

Work on communicating better with your employees.

10. Current insider Evaluation

Current Employee - Retail Credit Analyst in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Retail Credit Analyst in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at TD Auto Finance

Pros

The analysts on the desk in retail credit are some of the best people I have worked with. The vast majority are extremely competent in not only their field but many disciplines. Due to the economic downturn in Metro Detroit, this company has had access to a talented cross-section that they would not have been able to touch normally. They are sadly mistreated, underpaid and under appreciated. The people of Retail Credit and Funding are the backbone of the organization

For the most part, management is understanding of individual needs for time off. Most understand that the current and future schedule is the creation of

A) The Devil himself

B) Someone who doesn't recognize the need for personal time b/c they don't work weekends

C) Just doesn't care

D) All the above

They really do try to make arrangements to help you get time off. Supervisors are, unfortunately, wardens of a penitentiary that will abuse them if they dont abuse us.

You do learn strong phone, sales and negotiating skills while on the desk.

Cons

Where to begin.....well lets start with the contracting houses.

To put it plainly, the contracting houses lie. Aerotek, Mergis and Robert Half all lie to their contractors. They reel in unsuspecting professionals and new grads with promises of opportunity, advancements and hiring within 60-90 days. Most classes have had to wait nearly a year to be hired. During that time period, you are a cross between a whipping boy and a marionette who has to walk on eggshells because any morning your contracting house can call and say that you are finished w/o any explanation.

Supervisors:
    There are a few supervisors who do an outstanding job at supporting their analysts and allowing them the discretion to be analysts. The vast majority have absolutely no idea what it means to be a manager or a leader. Most were people who were rewarded for sticking around during the dark days of CF. "Coaching" does not mean micro manage, chastise, castigate, or publicly ridicule an employee for circumstances that are genuine mistakes.

The coaching environment is a debacle, Combine lack of communication from higher ups with people who have no idea what it means to "coach" and you get people mirco-managing weak information or misinformation. Some have completely let the concept of coaching, perpetuated by higher ups, go to their heads. No matter what is correct or fair, it is their world. It is my opinion that the company should spend less on Xmas parties and send the supervisors to a leadership development course.

Schedule:
    It is a nightmare, you will have no life. every week the days off are different. The entire schedule is planned a year in advance with your input after the fact. Not to mention that the shifts are 10 hours.

People are leaving, you see it and you know why.........

1) Stop burying your head as to why people are slowly leaving......otherwise they will continue to
    2) Don't see retail credit as the blockers and tacklers, they are the quarterbacks. Without them, their is no building
    3)Get rid of the "coaching opportunity" and use it as a chance to really engage your employees instead of debasing them.
    4)Use the breadth of knowledge and experience in that department. A lot are former business owners, masters degrees and people with bright ideas. And I dont mean just in that dept, use them in the other depts as well.
    5) Finally, develop some real top to bottom communication.