TD Waterhouse

Updated December 12, 2014
3.4

TD Waterhouse President & CEO Ed Clark
Ed Clark

Pros
  • truly one of the best companies out there that are flexible with Work-Life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Lots of opportunity for career advancement and good benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • where I worked it was back-office processing work, which can get boring as it is quite repetitive (in 3 reviews)

• Low salary, limited growth, terrible HR policies (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

knowledgeable

I worked at TD Waterhouse full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Helped understanding the structure very well

Cons

needed more people to assist.

OK company

I worked at TD Waterhouse full-time

Pros

Easy work, mired in processes

Cons

Low salary, limited growth, terrible HR policies

Ad Sales Finance

I worked at TD Waterhouse (more than an year)

Pros

1. truly one of the best companies out there that are flexible with Work-Life balance
    2. comraderie among the staff is something I always miss

Cons

the daily commute to Jersey City!

Your happiness will be based on your relationship with your immediate supervisor.

Former Employee - Investment Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Investment Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at TD Waterhouse

Pros

Good benefits. Being a Canadian company does have it's perks.
    3 weeks of vacations, Profit sharing, 401k, and health benefits.

Cons

Inconsistent management. High turn-over rate created a unstable working environment

Pay your employees a fair salary

TD Waterhouse - A great place to start and grow your career in brokerage

Current Employee - Broker Supervisor
    Current Employee - Broker Supervisor

I have been working at TD Waterhouse

Pros

Ample opportunity for advancement here. This place really cares about its employees and wants them to succeed. A very team-oriented environment with a great deal of cooperation between individuals.

Cons

Can be stressful at times when markets are in flux. Some customers will take out their losses on you, personally, so you need to be prepared.

Keep up the good work-giving employes the chance and opportunity to develop fully. TD Waterhouse was a really great place to work when I was there and I hope it remains that way.

Horrible, discriminating management

Former Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at TD Waterhouse

Pros

Opportunity to learn about the basics of trading.

Cons

The management.
    1. The management was utterly incompetant at the subject material. They thrived on negativity and failed to act like leaders.
    2. Courtesy of the "boys' club" mentality, out of 20 managers there was only one female manager. She scored a 98% on her Series 7. The better talent may have had leadership or mentor roles, but the decisions were made by people less competant. Other male managers barely knew what the trading floor was.
    3. Management failed to understand the nature of the business and we were just judged on numbers of calls taken. This will explain the poor customer service.
    4. Since it was just a discount brokerage, you're opportunities for growth was limited to management. And that was questionable.
    5. Goals and expectations were not made clear to us for performance evaluations. Former co-workers (good workers otherwise) were dismissed for taking time off for having family emergencies. Standards of performance were very subjective.

Recruit managers from the trading desks or their respective departments; regardless of their gender. I survived through the leadership of my coworkers.
    TD Waterhouse trading desk acts like a dysfunctional backroom operations when they're supposed to be on the front lines as customer service. Many customer issues were not standard market issues and requires escalation by company protocol which involves management competancy of the basic in's and out's of the company-which they did not have. Having people skills is an understatement. Competancy and effective service is the best people skills.

If you don't mind being a cog in the machine, TD will treat you well.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at TD Waterhouse

Pros

I liked the managers and the work/life balance was good. The location was good at the time, but they don't have developers there any longer. I liked the local management. Of course it was better pre-2001 when the stock market was high flying. But I never felt the wheels fell off.

Cons

I was in software development. The deployment procedures were ridiculous and helped us all to not get much done. The local management was good, but there was a "branch office" feeling. The corporate management didn't seem to value us as much and performed surprising purges of our leadership from time to time.

Encourage the sacrifice of turf wars for productivity.

lots of room to grow

Current Employee - Wealth Operations Officer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Wealth Operations Officer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TD Waterhouse

Pros

lots of room for growth

Cons

lots of politics involved getting promoted..if you dont know the right people even if you are good you dont stand a chance. but if you know people even if you don't know anything the job you will get it

connections are important but skills should also be considered

Good people, learned a lot, some good managers, some not so great

I worked at TD Waterhouse

Pros

Met a lot of good people, got raises and bonus's regularly, starting salary was somewhat low but it went up quickly within 2 years

Cons

Some of the managers were not the best, felt like I was just a number sometimes and got tracked for minutes spent on and off the phone.

People tend to work harder when they are not micromanaged.

Most flexible employer I have ever encountered. They work hard to achieve a health work / life balance for employees.

Current Employee - Investment Representative in Markham, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Investment Representative in Markham, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TD Waterhouse full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent entry into investment banking. Allowed me to plan a career path by getting exposure to a number of different positions in my industry. Shadowing sessions are easy enough to arrange for positions you may be interested in obtaining.

Cons

Unfortunately the pay does not reward the level of education that most of the employees have and the medical and dental benefits are not as good as they could be.

Income for employees needs to be much higher than what most of us are getting paid. Shop for a medical and dental insurance company that offers better coverage.

TD Waterhouse Photos