TD Waterhouse Reviews

Reset
2.8
TD Waterhouse President & CEO Ed Clark
Ed Clark

Pros
  • truly one of the best companies out there that are flexible with Work-Life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Lots of opportunities in the company, allowing to see all perspects of business (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • It seems as though there is an endless corporate hierarchy because of TD's immense size (in 2 reviews)

• so much work given for one person (in 2 reviews)

1. Project Manager

Former Employee - Vice President Project Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Vice President Project Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at TD Waterhouse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on whom you worked for, the company offered some work-life balance and was often an enjoyable and personable place to be.

Cons

It was easy to be overwhelmed by the number of meetings you had to attend and it was often difficult to accomplish any work. Leadership was not always strong and there was an old boy's network firmly in place Lots of gossiping and backstabbing to go around

Advice to Management

Change the culture to be more inclusive.

2. OK company

I worked at TD Waterhouse full-time

Pros

Easy work, mired in processes

Cons

Low salary, limited growth, terrible HR policies

3. knowledgeable

I worked at TD Waterhouse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helped understanding the structure very well

Cons

needed more people to assist.

5. Ad Sales Finance

I worked at TD Waterhouse (More than a year)

Pros

1. truly one of the best companies out there that are flexible with Work-Life balance 2. comraderie among the staff is something I always miss

Cons

the daily commute to Jersey City!

6. Your happiness will be based on your relationship with your immediate supervisor.

Former Employee - Investment Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Investment Consultant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Good benefits. Being a Canadian company does have it's perks. 3 weeks of vacations, Profit sharing, 401k, and health benefits.

Cons

Inconsistent management. High turn-over rate created a unstable working environment

Advice to Management

Pay your employees a fair salary

7. TD Waterhouse - A great place to start and grow your career in brokerage

Current Employee - Broker Supervisor
    Current Employee - Broker Supervisor

Pros

Ample opportunity for advancement here. This place really cares about its employees and wants them to succeed. A very team-oriented environment with a great deal of cooperation between individuals.

Cons

Can be stressful at times when markets are in flux. Some customers will take out their losses on you, personally, so you need to be prepared.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work-giving employes the chance and opportunity to develop fully. TD Waterhouse was a really great place to work when I was there and I hope it remains that way.

Horrible, discriminating management

Former Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA

Pros

Opportunity to learn about the basics of trading.

Cons

The management. 1. The management was utterly incompetant at the subject material. They thrived on negativity and failed to act like leaders. 2. Courtesy of the "boys' club" mentality, out of 20 managers there was only one female manager. She scored a 98% on her Series 7. The better talent may have had leadership or mentor roles, but the decisions were made by people less competant. Other male managers barely knew what the trading floor was. 3. Management failed to understand the nature of the business and we were just judged on numbers of calls taken. This will explain the poor customer service. 4. Since it was just a discount brokerage, you're opportunities for growth was limited to management. And that was questionable. 5. Goals and expectations were not made clear to us for performance evaluations. Former co-workers (good workers otherwise) were dismissed for taking time off for having family emergencies. Standards of performance were very subjective.

Advice to Management

Recruit managers from the trading desks or their respective departments; regardless of their gender. I survived through the leadership of my coworkers. TD Waterhouse trading desk acts like a dysfunctional backroom operations when they're supposed to be on the front lines as customer service. Many customer issues were not standard market issues and requires escalation by company protocol which involves management competancy of the basic in's and out's of the company-which they did not have. Having people skills is an understatement. Competancy and effective service is the best people skills.

9. If you don't mind being a cog in the machine, TD will treat you well.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

Pros

I liked the managers and the work/life balance was good. The location was good at the time, but they don't have developers there any longer. I liked the local management. Of course it was better pre-2001 when the stock market was high flying. But I never felt the wheels fell off.

Cons

I was in software development. The deployment procedures were ridiculous and helped us all to not get much done. The local management was good, but there was a "branch office" feeling. The corporate management didn't seem to value us as much and performed surprising purges of our leadership from time to time.

Advice to Management

Encourage the sacrifice of turf wars for productivity.

10. Account Admin Specialist

Current Employee - Account Administrative Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Account Administrative Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TD Waterhouse full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- steady shift, work from home option, decent pay, full banking benefits - In down town Toronto - Nice clean office space - Lots of great people

Cons

- everything is monitored and counted - can get very stressful with the amount of work to be done - you are not a person, but a number churning out lots of repetitive mind numbing work.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees more Allow staff to try different things Coaching sessions are very numbers based

11. Good environment to work

Pros

Company's culture is very good.

Cons

A lot of of politics to move up.

RSS Feed </> Embed