TDS Telecommunications

Updated October 1, 2014
Updated October 1, 2014
3.2

Dave Wittwer

Pros
  • Good benefits, working hours and working conditions overall (in 9 reviews)

• Room for advancement if in Madison; average pay and benefits (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Know those horror stories you see in the news about Comcast and customer service calls (in 9 reviews)

• Better tools to help do job, CRM that actually benefits the rep not upper management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

31 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

TDS is an EXCELLENT place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at TDS Telecommunications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

TDS has excellent benefits, 401K, and vacation/sick time. TDS has also paid for my continued education! They invest in their employees and their Managers. They want both to succeed. TDS does not make decisions in a hasty manner to be just another company in the telelcommmuncations business. They make decisions and investments they will do well for the future of the business and that is why they have been around for so long! This is why I have chosen to retire from here. If you are a great employee your opportunities will be great at TDS!

Cons

The only part I don't like is we can't get all the same services to all of our customers in all of the states that we cover. Sometimes this is a problem. This can also be a benefit because as a decision-maker you just can't always put all of your investments on the line to make 1 or 2 customers in a certain area happy and that is just business.

Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Madison, WI

I worked at TDS Telecommunications as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It's better than being unemployed (just barely).

Cons

Horrible middle managers who rule by fear and intimidation. Most unprofessional management I've every worked under. The idea of "team work" is given lip service but its not a reality. Must watch your back.

You should take a look at what a poor job your middle managers are doing to foster team work and how poorly they your employees. Believe it or not, it only reflects your poorly on you. Somehow this company has managed to survive all these years, but have you noticed that most of your employees who show any signs of ambition do not stay at your company for very long?

Sales force is overlooked & overworked.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Madison, WI

I have been working at TDS Telecommunications full-time

Pros

Company has a long history & is a recognized provider on both the ILEC & CLEC sides of the fence. They have done what they can to launch new technologies such as MIP Hosted solutions & cable TV.

Cons

Working in the offices or maybe as a ILEC sales rep may be a secure career option. However, any employment on the CLEC or "TDS Metrocom" side of the company is very temporary for most. I have witnessed many sales reps work hard for a company that is constantly changing the rules, reps that in the end are terminated & escorted out like a criminal. The average sales position w this company survives 12-16 months at the most.

No advice to management, they don't take advice from their sales force. They have it all figured out already. I have never met the CEO, but I've always heard good things about him. Sometimes companies get to big to see what everyone below you is doing or not doing.

Downhill Fast

Former Employee - Consumer Specialist (Retention) in Madison, WI

I worked at TDS Telecommunications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cheap benefits, large amounts of paid time off, free parking, West side location

Cons

After spending five years with the company I can say that the entire experience was a mixed bag. The good was really good and the bad was just awful. Benefits are still better than you'll find most places. Think $70/mo for single insurance coverage with NO deductible, usually $20 co-pays at most. Vision and dental are 'meh' at best like most places. Time off is amazing. After five years I had three weeks paid vacation, one week of personal time, and sick time is earned separately and generously as well.

Management is horrid. Okay, so about 2004 they had a big upswing in business and they promoted all these people because they had to fill desks. They aren't necessarily well versed in leadership, listening, empathy, or really any management-like skills. I speak ONLY regarding the sales departments and retention departments--anything customer facing they could not care a lick less about you. Know those horror stories you see in the news about Comcast and customer service calls? It happens every day at TDS. You'll be berated about your numbers. When they're good they aren't good enough. When they're bad they'll replace you. There is no coaching to help bring you up to speed. Once you fall out of their good graces, you're done. I don't say this as some bitter employee who got canned after several years, I say this as I witnessed hard-working, honest people (not all of them, but most) get walked out the door. Instead of helping them succeed or finding a role they can work successfully in, management finds it easier if you're just gotten rid of--because there's always a training class lined up.

The customer service area is rotting from the inside. Every other person is on some bogus form of FMLA because of stress. I shouldn't say bogus, because it IS very stressful, but it's a vicious cycle. You're mad nobody else shows up so you go get FMLA yourself and then you're gone. Then someone else suffers. It's never-ending. And people brag about being on FMLA. It's widely abused here so if you're a hard worker you'll find no pats on the back from management and no support from your co-workers. With the cheap benefits and higher-than-normal pay most people will find ways to take a day or two each work week unpaid as FMLA because the money still comes in.

You can earn money here to be sure, but you'll pay for it in stress and sanity. After five years, it wasn't worth it for me anymore. Now, before you go assuming I'm just bitter, I'll say I have at least a half dozen friends who still work for the company in NON customer-facing roles on the TDS corporate side of things and they love it. There are many versions of TDS...There's Metrocom which is a dying CLEC brand in a few markets, Telecom which is their main grouping of customers for phone and data and TV, and then there's the corporate end of things located in Middleton. If you have the education and experience, I hear it's alright over there. Don't say I didn't warn you about a customer-facing position however.

Stop treating your employees like disposable assets. You lose so many good people on a weekly basis who have just had it with the games. Think of all the talent that walks out of your door that truly wanted to make the company a better place.

Good benefits

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at TDS Telecommunications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Coworkers were great with a genuine interest in doing the right thing. Good benefits, working hours and working conditions overall. HR manages by the books.

Cons

In recent years, focus has shifted purely to managing to numbers. This was needed but was not executed in an effective way. Customer service has suffered a severe decline and customers are leaving. Management mostly consists of a network of people making decisions in their personal best interest versus the good of the company or it's employees. The company has never been a leader in new technology, however, they're not keeping up nor being competitive and they're rapidly losing market share. Company employees are being replaced by contractors in the field and customer service jobs outsourced.

Hold managers accountable not only to numbers but to actually managing their teams and addressing issues. Take advantage of the wealth of knowledge out in the field and promote from within more often. Those who have done the front line jobs can do a far better job of supporting the company than hiring (and promoting) inexperienced people externally who truly don't know and don't care.

I have worked for TDS for the last two years and love the people I work with and feel at home with company management

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Madison, WI

I have been working at TDS Telecommunications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company cares about employees, great benefits, pension and competitive salary / commission

Cons

It's telecom, there is always going to be challenges, it could be worse I could be working at a cable company !

the interaction I have with management at the regional and higher levels is great, I have enjoyed getting to know management and appreciate the time they give me when I have suggestions or advice for job or product enhancement

Outstanding employee/customer focused company

Current Employee - Sales in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Sales in Madison, WI

I have been working at TDS Telecommunications full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They take customer service to the next level.
    They have plenty of chances to advance within the company.
    They encourage you to be more than just your job, meaning get involved in organizations, activities outside of work and give back to the community.
    They pay you an above average income.

Cons

They expect you to actually work.
    Pricing is slightly inflated for products.
    Better tools to help do job, CRM that actually benefits the rep not upper management.
    Could do a better job of getting back office to work with a sense of urgency. ILEC/CLEC we all have competition there is no tomorrow if we can't perform today.

Overall things are good. Less trust in what the consultants tell you, more trust in what you know to be true. Take the handcuffs off and watch us soar higher than ever.

ups and downs

Former Employee - Consumer Specialist (Retention) in Madison, WI

I worked at TDS Telecommunications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, benefits are really goo as well. Some of the people I worked with were awesome

Cons

I felt like I was going to a high school EVERY day! The Attendance policy was horrible! Even with a reasonable accommodation if you worked less that your scheduled hours ie 40 a week they would start taking away your benefits! Also one of the consumer specialist managers would constantly Make fun of the advisors...act like a child, and play favorites with his team only! it was absolutely ridiculous and childish. I am happy that I left because there is no reason for that type of behavior. also to tell an advisor that people only come to the consumer specialist team to either stay there for ever or to "die" that is not professional at all.

Take care of your employees! Do not punish them because they have medical issues. Let them keep their benefits! Also please keep a better eye on managers! They do not like to do their jobs, they make fun of other employees, they play favorites.. we are not in high school any more! I think it is time that we start acting like adults!!!

Watch Your Step

Former Employee - Information Technology in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Madison, WI

I worked at TDS Telecommunications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent people, atmosphere, environment, benefits. This was a few years back.

Cons

It's a corporation so, yeah, things vary from position to position and change with regular frequency. All seems well unless you make any waves at all... even asking questions or for help from the wrong people can get you noticed and not in a good way. Once the acronym "HR" comes up. you're TOAST. Just look at the size of the HR department. I am dead serious, these people issue PAGES of updates to the 'employee code of conduct' each QUARTER... you can break company policy by waking up in the morning. Toe the line and you'll be OK... until the next layoff...

Even as a customer I've had mixed results. Kicked them out of one site while they have succeeded in another.

Shepherd a culture change to one that values rank and file employees and disposes of power-crazed middlemen.

Ever decreasing pay and increasing responsibilities

Former Employee - Outbound Sales Agent in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Outbound Sales Agent in Madison, WI

I worked at TDS Telecommunications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Started out with good pay, however commission structure changed every 3mths. Started out my job with good management as well, however that changed as often as the pay and never for The better.

Cons

Pay decreases quite often in comp plans, job description and expectations change constantly. Management is a joke- they have no idea how to preform the jobs that they manage and have terrible communication with their teams and each other. Overall I had a miserable experience here, even tho I was a top selling agent for over a year.

Work with your employees, not against them. Move forward with ideas and your company you are in a rapidly changing and progressive industry, for success you must adapt.

TDS Telecommunications Photos