TDS Telecommunications Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Dave Wittwer

Pros
  • Good pay and benefits, reasonable advancement (in 7 reviews)

• good pay; good benefits; great people (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Outsourcing to another country is killing the customer service (in 9 reviews)

• Better tools to help do job, CRM that actually benefits the rep not upper management (in 4 reviews)

1. Great company to work for, excellent training and the people care about their work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at TDS Telecommunications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, great technology, great work life balance, allot of time off and allot of training. You do work hard and they are a innovative growing company

Cons

Too many levels of management, that could be downsized and too many people have personal agendas some fraud in the company. Pay is a little below market average

Advice to Management

check the backgrounds of the people in many leadership areas should audit the areas that spend the money

Not a Place To Begin A Career

Former Intern - Software Test in Madison, WI
    Former Intern - Software Test in Madison, WI

I worked at TDS Telecommunications as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Friendly coworkers -Doughnuts, bagels, and yogurt on paydays -Decent compensation -Good benefits and employee discounts -Many volunteer opportunities available -Poised for growth with the aggressive acquisitions and the deployment of fiber across the country

Cons

-Little to no opportunities for innovation -Bureaucratic red tape to the maximum. Your boss, has a boss, that has more bosses. Any requests or suggestions will die moving up this chain -As a young professional, I found very few opportunities to make friends or connections with people that have similar interests -Many technologies are outdated... The upgrade from IE8 to IE11 was touted as big advancement. (Yet not everyone could make the switch because many internal applications would still only work on IE8) -More time is spent maintaining and patching failing systems than is spent fixing and making them more efficient -Employees substitute instant messages and emails for in person conversations -While the office is new and very clean, it has a very dull and sterile feel -Telecommunications is anything but exciting

Advice to Management

TDS is poised to become a major player in the telecommunications space. Figure out a way to attract and retain young, innovative talent to facilitate this growth. Growth will not be realized by the "seasoned veteran" current employees. Find a way to brighten the place to make employees excited to come to work. Employees encased by cubicle walls only serves to further disconnect among each other.

Customer Repair Advisor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Pros

TDS is very open to remote work.

Cons

Call center, angry customers, micro management

5. Above average place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at TDS Telecommunications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits Flexible schedule Friendly, helpful coworkers Pay day donuts and bagels Ability to learn new skills while working Understanding manager

Cons

+ Manual software deploys from 12-6am which often take several hours (other companies have an automated process). + Cross training expected - When you are on call, you are responsible for all applications within your department even if you are not an expert. + Remote access granted to most IS employees which is used to handle on call issues from home, software deploys and working from home on the occasional snow day, but I was not allowed to work from home permanently when I moved, even though I was willing to drive in 1-2 times a week and even though there is another employee who has been working remotely for years. + Having a paper trail for all system updates is a good idea and necessary for proper support but I felt like there was too much overhead. + Too much time spent on new initiatives and not enough time put into making existing systems and software better, more efficient and less buggy.

Yikes! Wish I would have talked to more people before going to work here. Big mistake!!!

Former Employee - Consumer Sales Advisor Inbound in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Consumer Sales Advisor Inbound in Madison, WI

I worked at TDS Telecommunications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee and juice.... Management is professional and generally pleasant. Wish i could say more positive things but the pros don't eclipse all the cons.

Cons

Extremely high turn over in the sales dept. People either quit or xfer out to another dept (If they are allowed). This is miserable work. Expect to have unreal sales expectations and constant monitoring of phone calls and badgering for more productivity. After the extensive and challenging training program expect to have lots of Job threat's for not hitting your numbers. A lot of bait and switch. They tell you one thing to get you in the door and it changes after you are through training. Expect a less than desirable schedule. Expect a different pay plan than what you thought. Expect very little flexibility. Hard to have a personal life because the insanely strict scheduling. It's literally monitored down to the minute!!! ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS!

Advice to Management

Restructure your entire sales Department. You'll never be able to recruit top sales people nor will you be able to hang onto the ones you do recruit the way things are now. There's a saying that comes to mind. "Make a sale, earn a commission. Make a friend and earn a fortune". Why burn through so many sales people when you could adjust a couple things and have top sales people wanting to work for and stay with you?

Good Company with good benefits

Current Employee - Advisor in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Advisor in Madison, WI

I have been working at TDS Telecommunications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have an excellent benefits package. They help you pay for school if you plan on staying for a long time.

Cons

It's really hard to move up, people seem to be stuck in the same position for years. They are open on holidays that most other companies recognize, like Xmas eve. Also, no flexibility with scheduling.

8. I worked for TDS in a new customer sales job. All the people were nice and goals were clear

Former Employee - Sales in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Sales in Madison, WI

I worked at TDS Telecommunications (Less than a year)

Pros

decent wages, good bonuses if met sales goals, nice people, had my own desk where i kept personal items so i didnt have to move to a new desk every day

Cons

Was placed very quickly on a "watch list" when i didnt meet my first sales goal. this means under performing salespeople will be disposed of quickly

9. Accounts Payable Specialist

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Madison, WI

Pros

Great vacation and benefits. My managers were good people who understood your work/life balance.

Cons

The management system is very tiered, you always have someone to report to for anything to get done. I also found my particular job to be very tedious and boring because there was not much variety. I also found company morale to be very low, it seems like everyone hated their jobs.

Advice to Management

I wish there was more of a "flat management" approach so that all employees will feel more welcome and not afraid of their superiors. I think this would help with company morale. It also seemed very difficult to move up. Everyone I spoke to was able to move laterally but not vertically.

Avoid working in Information Services

Former Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Madison, WI
    Former Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at TDS Telecommunications as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good paid time off and sick pay benefits.

Cons

Inconsistent and unethical practices are standard fare from the CIO and her immediate staff. Her main focus is to cover herself when meeting with her superiors and peers. She micromanages to such detail that projects start late and are in a rush to get done. She is also a bully who who has no problem publicly shaming employees. She does not respect her staff, nor any meeting's agenda. When they don't like employees in the IS group, management pulls them into a meeting at the end of the day and tells them that they are being given the opportunity to resign or be put on double-secret probation, which will ultimately leave them fired with a "black mark" on their employment record. They are given until the first thing the next morning to decide. People in this situation typically choose to resign. These are not bad employees being forced out for cause. This morally repugnant practice allows the company to avoid paying out any kind of severance package. And, apparently, it's completely legal. Many, many very good, well respected IS employees have jumped ship or been forced to "resign" under the CIO. It is not beyond the CIO to tell underlings to twist/distort the truth about project failures and risks when reporting status to other areas of the business.

Advice to Management

Start cleaning up your shop from the top down.

11. Sales force is overlooked & overworked.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Madison, WI

I have been working at TDS Telecommunications full-time

Pros

Company has a long history & is a recognized provider on both the ILEC & CLEC sides of the fence. They have done what they can to launch new technologies such as MIP Hosted solutions & cable TV.

Cons

Working in the offices or maybe as a ILEC sales rep may be a secure career option. However, any employment on the CLEC or "TDS Metrocom" side of the company is very temporary for most. I have witnessed many sales reps work hard for a company that is constantly changing the rules, reps that in the end are terminated & escorted out like a criminal. The average sales position w this company survives 12-16 months at the most.

Advice to Management

No advice to management, they don't take advice from their sales force. They have it all figured out already. I have never met the CEO, but I've always heard good things about him. Sometimes companies get to big to see what everyone below you is doing or not doing.

RSS Feed </> Embed