TDS Telecommunications Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Dave Wittwer

Pros
  • Good pay and benefits, reasonable advancement (in 7 reviews)

• good pay; good benefits; great people (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Outsourcing to another country is killing the customer service (in 9 reviews)

• Better tools to help do job, CRM that actually benefits the rep not upper management (in 4 reviews)

1. B2B sales of TDS voice and data services.

I have been working at TDS Telecommunications

Pros

Excellent Benefits, fair pay, good flexibility, very good culture.

Cons

Slow moving bureaucracy, slightly antiquated products, pure hunter role.

2. Dispatch

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Dispatcher in Saint George, UT

I worked at TDS Telecommunications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay, hard work great employees

Cons

Some people in management were rude and over step boundaries

Customer Repair Advisor

I worked at TDS Telecommunications

Pros

TDS is very open to remote work.

Cons

Call center, angry customers, micro management

Great inner core of people to work for.

I worked at TDS Telecommunications

Pros

Managment understood and did its best to connect to the employees. They valued hard work and rewarded accordingly as well as loyalty on the job.

Cons

The biggest challenge they had and I had as an employee is the disconnect from what TDS provides to the customer. The telecom industry is one of the worst appreciated industries to work in. Without realizing your value to the customer, how does the customer value you?

Advice to Management

Emphasize on local strategies rather than company wide marketing plans.

6. Above average place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at TDS Telecommunications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits Flexible schedule Friendly, helpful coworkers Pay day donuts and bagels Ability to learn new skills while working Understanding manager

Cons

+ Manual software deploys from 12-6am which often take several hours (other companies have an automated process). + Cross training expected - When you are on call, you are responsible for all applications within your department even if you are not an expert. + Remote access granted to most IS employees which is used to handle on call issues from home, software deploys and working from home on the occasional snow day, but I was not allowed to work from home permanently when I moved, even though I was willing to drive in 1-2 times a week and even though there is another employee who has been working remotely for years. + Having a paper trail for all system updates is a good idea and necessary for proper support but I felt like there was too much overhead. + Too much time spent on new initiatives and not enough time put into making existing systems and software better, more efficient and less buggy.

7. Great company to work for, excellent training and the people care about their work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at TDS Telecommunications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, great technology, great work life balance, allot of time off and allot of training. You do work hard and they are a innovative growing company

Cons

Too many levels of management, that could be downsized and too many people have personal agendas some fraud in the company. Pay is a little below market average

Advice to Management

check the backgrounds of the people in many leadership areas should audit the areas that spend the money

Yikes! Wish I would have talked to more people before going to work here. Big mistake!!!

Former Employee - Consumer Sales Advisor Inbound in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Consumer Sales Advisor Inbound in Madison, WI

I worked at TDS Telecommunications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee and juice.... Management is professional and generally pleasant. Wish i could say more positive things but the pros don't eclipse all the cons.

Cons

Extremely high turn over in the sales dept. People either quit or xfer out to another dept (If they are allowed). This is miserable work. Expect to have unreal sales expectations and constant monitoring of phone calls and badgering for more productivity. After the extensive and challenging training program expect to have lots of Job threat's for not hitting your numbers. A lot of bait and switch. They tell you one thing to get you in the door and it changes after you are through training. Expect a less than desirable schedule. Expect a different pay plan than what you thought. Expect very little flexibility. Hard to have a personal life because the insanely strict scheduling. It's literally monitored down to the minute!!! ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS!

Advice to Management

Restructure your entire sales Department. You'll never be able to recruit top sales people nor will you be able to hang onto the ones you do recruit the way things are now. There's a saying that comes to mind. "Make a sale, earn a commission. Make a friend and earn a fortune". Why burn through so many sales people when you could adjust a couple things and have top sales people wanting to work for and stay with you?

Good Company with good benefits

Current Employee - Advisor in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Advisor in Madison, WI

I have been working at TDS Telecommunications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have an excellent benefits package. They help you pay for school if you plan on staying for a long time.

Cons

It's really hard to move up, people seem to be stuck in the same position for years. They are open on holidays that most other companies recognize, like Xmas eve. Also, no flexibility with scheduling.

10. I worked for TDS in a new customer sales job. All the people were nice and goals were clear

Former Employee - Sales in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Sales in Madison, WI

I worked at TDS Telecommunications (Less than a year)

Pros

decent wages, good bonuses if met sales goals, nice people, had my own desk where i kept personal items so i didnt have to move to a new desk every day

Cons

Was placed very quickly on a "watch list" when i didnt meet my first sales goal. this means under performing salespeople will be disposed of quickly

11. Accounts Payable Specialist

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Madison, WI

I worked at TDS Telecommunications

Pros

Great vacation and benefits. My managers were good people who understood your work/life balance.

Cons

The management system is very tiered, you always have someone to report to for anything to get done. I also found my particular job to be very tedious and boring because there was not much variety. I also found company morale to be very low, it seems like everyone hated their jobs.

Advice to Management

I wish there was more of a "flat management" approach so that all employees will feel more welcome and not afraid of their superiors. I think this would help with company morale. It also seemed very difficult to move up. Everyone I spoke to was able to move laterally but not vertically.

RSS Feed </> Embed