TEFL Institute

1.6

Ti Ron Gibbs

Tefl

I have been working at TEFL Institute

Pros

Starts your career overseas, you have a great work balance in your life.

Cons

Poor pay, there are much better jobs you can find without going through the TEFL process

Poorly ran, scam of a company.

I worked at TEFL Institute full-time

Pros

Employees have a lot of travel experience.

Cons

Pay came late and pay was very low.

Never Paid

Former Employee - Instructor
    Former Employee - Instructor

I worked at TEFL Institute as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

About the only positive thing that I could say about this company is that the students were great. Aside from that I don't think that there is anything that I could add.

Cons

The primary downside is that I was never paid for my work. The CEO of the company sent out an e-mail that there were a number of employees were not paid. He claimed that he would pay everyone "in the next few months". That was about a year ago and I still haven't been paid and I can't get any response from the company.

Paying your employees would be a good start.

Stay far away

I worked at TEFL Institute full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work itself is interesting, you meet lots of great people looking for experiences abroad. Great co-workers, culture. But this doesn't outweigh the disadvantages by any stretch.

Cons

The company is a scam. It wasn't always this way but has slowly deteriorated since the fall of 2012. So please do yourself a favor and stay away. If you're considering being a student of TEFL, same goes. There is about a 50% percent chance your class won't take place and refunds are out of the question.

Back to Michigan! Bye TEFL Institute!

Former Employee - TEFL Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - TEFL Advisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at TEFL Institute full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, decent office culture, true catering to other staff by the CEO and sales manager. Being able to make use of individual skill-sets and have flexibility in how to achieve each sale is always fun too. The CEO is accessible and personable, and, while some persons writing here before me clearly disagree, is committed to building and maintaining a good staff. The product I liked and took the online course myself, and the student services department is again full of very helpful ladies. The company is back up on it's feet.

PROs: Office culture/FOOD! interesting product, fun people, room to advance, and a high commission rate.

Cons

Runs like a start-up: not always a bad thing, as I prefer it to a strict set of practices, but disorganized model. Specifically the training or introductory period needs formalizing, as during this period advisors may not make any sales (they're still learnin'!) and it causes a high-turnover. It's pretty Darwinian but doesn't need to be.

Commission: Never tried it before, worked for me, but for people who want to get paid for their time and not for what they're producing, this is not the place for you. Commission wages, in Illinois, can be distributed monthly, so if you're someone who needs hourly-wage, 2-week paychecks you will not be a good fit.
    Commission isn't for everyone and it can be devastating to expect success and not find it, as some of the reviews below me make clear, and you could end up working a whole week for nothing in return. That's your "right to work," and is a choice, and should not compel you to vent your incompetence against on review forums.

I have had a paycheck be given to me a few days late, however it came late with a full explanation, verbal apology, and notice of when I would receive it from the CEO. I have never had a check bounce. Ti Ron Gibbs, the CEO, does take great pains to make sure the staff is paid and communicates well as long as you're willing to. I'm reading reviews below and am finding they rarely parallel with any experience I've had, but things could be different now.

The product is fabulous, your employees should be too! I would suggest the advisor position be explained/listed as more of a marketing-type opportunity + the customer service, advising, and advertising responsibilities. Alternatively, making someone or a few folks responsible for producing leads as an advertisement/marketing department might be more beneficial and organized while allowing the advisors to focus exclusively on your actual customer.

Yep, another unsatisfied employee

I worked at TEFL Institute full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The workplace was funny. Very loose, and the staff was great. I was also great to talk to people about there dreams.

Cons

The workplace was funny, which was the CEO plan to distract us from how poorly the company is run. Oh, and the paycheck thing like everyone else. I think that my first paycheck was late, and my last one bounced. Tiron Gibbs insisted that this had never happened before. Hard to believe after seeing the other posts here.

The CEO is in the business to make money, and not education. This should not be a for huge profit industry. More transparency, and increased knowledge of marketing and ethics would go a long way.

The reviews are accurate. Please do not work here!

Former Employee - Student Services in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Student Services in Chicago, IL

I worked at TEFL Institute full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great mission. Fun to talk about teaching abroad.

Cons

The CEO is terrible. Paychecks do bounce, and there are unpaid workers. Please check the rebuttal FB group create by Ti Ron Gibbs in order to see a list of unpaid instructors along with a lot of excuses that try to explain all the bad reviews. Please read all of the reviews, including those that are filtered, on multiple sites both about the quality of the products as well as working there before you seriously consider working here.

Please hire someone who can run the company.

Instructors work hard for no pay!

Former Employee - Instructor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Instructor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at TEFL Institute as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Freedom to develop your own curriculum as there is no oversight from headquarters
    Fun to train prospective EFL teachers who are generally enthusiastic and worldly

Cons

Checks come late or not at all. Unresponsive management.
    Poor quality product: TEFL materials are poorly written and need editing. Course was being offered while materials were still being written.

Stop posting ads on craigslist for new instructors until you can pay those you owe. Have your course materials professionally edited.

Volunteer here if you don't want to get paid!

Former Employee - Instructor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Instructor in Chicago, IL

I worked at TEFL Institute part-time

Pros

You don't have a boss nagging you because they don't communicate. The students are great, though they always become frustrated with the poor management and lack of communication.

Cons

Let's see... never received a paycheck, horrible communication, terribly managed, had to try to cover for the company to the students, had students complaining because of the bad organization.

Give up.

Fun at first, but you'll slowly become more and more dissapointed

I worked at TEFL Institute full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Fun to talk about your teach abroad experiences (if any) on the phone. The students really do appreciate it and it is of use to them
    -Almost all of my co-workers were friendly people with similar experiences to me. Nice multi-cultural environment
    The neighborhood is pretty nice. Lots of great lunch spots within walking distance

Cons

-Lack of leads. If you're working an all commission sales job with 1 to 2 leads a day, it can really be disheartening
    -Constantly having to speak to dissapointed people. After the Student Services of the company collapsed, it left hundreds of people without pay, refunds, certificates, you name it. It really sucks because you won't be able to do anything for them other than send them to a voicemail that won't be returned
    -It's just really difficult to make money, especially at first. Word has gotten out about how poor the company's support is to enrolled students, leading to a lack of leads. You can do well, but it will likely take several months until you are making money. Do not take this job if you don't have some savings.
    -Bounced and late paychecks are now quite common. Instructors have not been paid for work done over a year ago. You hope and pray your check clears or you receive it on time.
    -Turnover is incredibly high. Most don't make it to 6 months

Fix the student services department. Enough with the part-time workers. It completely ruined the company. PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES. This place can be successful since there is such a demand for TEFL, but only if administrative support for employees and customers is dramatically improved.