TEKsystems

Updated December 14, 2014
3.3

TEKsystems President Keith Bozeman
Keith Bozeman

Pros
  • Descent pay, Supportive Account Managers, Helpful Team of Recruiters and AA's (in 33 reviews)

• Great People - company cares about your personal well being - a lot of out of office events (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is very minimal, it is not uncommon to work 7:30-6:00 4-5 days per week (in 60 reviews)

• Long hours, typical sales roles cons, there can be some office politics but not much (in 48 reviews)

More Highlights

29 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Decent First Job

Current Employee - Business Operations Associate in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Business Operations Associate in Hanover, MD

I have been working at TEKsystems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a company that is a good place to start once you are finished college, company is very willing to give people a chance.

Cons

Opportunities that are always talked about by management aren't always there. You can get stuck in an entry level job for quite some time depending on your luck with the accounts you receive.

Great for recent college graduates

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hanover, MD

I have been working at TEKsystems

Pros

You work with really cool people. It's great place to get initial "real world experience" as a lot of what you do builds a transferable skill set

Cons

The work life balance is not good. 10 hour days (including 1 hour lunch) are more common than not common. To compound this frustration processes frequently do not work as they should and the way the work space is structured it is very easy for a co-worker/some one on your team to distract you from what your doing with work related and non work related communication.The last two points make the first even more frustrating.

It should not be the "culture" that if you leave after being there for 9 hours that you are a "Part-Timer
    " or have a perception of not working hard especially given the fact the salaried employees are not paid overtime. There also needs to be serious consideration of stepping up compensation as we are paid below industry average.

Business Operations Associate

I worked at TEKsystems

Pros

Received time and half for overtime hours, young environment, I made very good friends from my peer colleagues.

Cons

I started at TEK as a BOA, which is the entry level position at the corporate office right after I graduated from college. After initially building good relationships with my management (which the culture encourages), very soon after, for no apparent reason, the entire leadership team turned on me and I felt unsupported, disrespected, and unfairly treated. There is no opportunity for growth, at least 5-10 hours of overtime are required each week, and the company teats their employees like children. There is no training program, which yields to mistakes and reprimands from management. The dynamic is extremely mico-managed, I felt that I was constantly being watched or talked about by leaders.

Management is very young and cliquey, which caused their decisions to be petty and unfair.. Mangers would constantly talk bad about BOAs. My advice is to management is to not push building relationships if it will later be thrown in their employee's faces and used against them at work. Make decisions based off of performance and motivation, not personal preference towards that person.

Great until the turnover was affecting the whole department negatively for 6+ months.

Current Employee - BOA in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - BOA in Hanover, MD

I have been working at TEKsystems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to begin your career. Plenty of opportunity for overtime to make some extra money. A lot of opportunity to grow in a short period of time.

Cons

Work- life balance. There is no training structure. Goals are not realistic. Base salary is low, and yearly max hourly raise is $1.00. I was a top performer on my team and only received .25 hourly raise. No communication. Sometimes push associates into management before they are ready, and then fail as managers.

Management should be more open to their teams about upcoming changes, and make realistic goals. Manage your teams Don't always be a friend. Learn how manage time properly ex. complete maintenance in a timely manner.

Interview and job offer...

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Hanover, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Hanover, MD

I worked at TEKsystems as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

TEK was the conduit for me getting a job offer.

Cons

I have a long history with TEK. I initially hired for a position at a rate that I stated was a must-have, and TEK agreed to it. They ended up not hiring me for that position, but sending me to the same client to interview for another. After I was made an offer they explained that they couldn't pay me the rate that was initially discussed and there was no room for negotiation whatsoever. My salary needs hadn't changed between interviews. I ended up receiving another offer from another company, and explained the situation to TEK. It offered full-time work, tons of bennies, and interesting work. Hard to pass up. The recruiter went so far as to try to make me feel that I was making a bad decision about the other company and mildly disparaged the other company. He also asked me if there was anything he could do to change my decision, like offer more money, etc. Where was that money when the initial conversation occurred? Not professional at all and completely lacking tact.

Understand that if you won't pay someone what they need in order to be comfortable, they won't remain in the position very long, hence, you'll be trying to fill it again as soon as a better offer comes along. And, promote integrity and decency above all, and stop focusing on the bottom line - $$$. There's so much more to recruiting than that.

So-so

Current Employee - Customer Support Associate in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Customer Support Associate in Hanover, MD

I have been working at TEKsystems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I do enjoy the culture, and I do feel like my manager has an interest in my goals and how I want to grow. I also enjoy the fact that we do have fun events such as the company tailgate.

Cons

The compensation package has left much to be desired, and there isn't a lot of opportunity to grow. As a single person, the base salary (for which there was no negotiation, mind you), allows you to live paycheck to paycheck. However, as a single parent, it's not enough for the way you are treated by your customers.

We need better compensation packages and more visibility to how to grow and move into other departments.

Great Company

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Hanover, MD

I have been working at TEKsystems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great with team building and culture, growing company

Cons

Very clicky, some departments are much better than others, people will turn on you very quickly even if you have been there a long time

HORRIBLE COMPANY

Former Employee - Business Operations Associate in Hanover, MD

I worked at TEKsystems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great People to work with, and overtime was allowed

Cons

While overtime was allowed, it was more required. If you weren't working on average 45 hours a week you were let go. Bonus were not guarantees, and the goals the managers set were to outrageous.
    The company is very much customer driven, but they forget about their own "customers" their employees.

Learn what a work-life balance and make sure your BOA's are having it. They are some of your hardest working employees. Stop treating them as if they are workhorses and start treating them as if they are humans.

Overworked and underpaid

Former Employee - Project Analyst in Hanover, MD
    Former Employee - Project Analyst in Hanover, MD

I worked at TEKsystems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Give people a chance that do not have a lot of work experience. If you are willing to work a lot of hours and confirm to culture you can advance quickly.

Cons

Expect you to work overtime most of the time and spending lunches and after hours with coworkers, not good for someone with a family. Expect people to work overtime often. Focus too much on employees building relationships and not quality of work. Ask for suggestions from employees but only implement ones that they want to.

Accept different personality types. Hire more people instead of overworking employees.

Business Operations Associate

Former Employee - Business Operations Associate in Hanover, MD

I worked at TEKsystems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are generally very friendly and helpful. The benefits are pretty good, and the company offers a lot of opportunities for professional growth and training.

Cons

The management can be a bit detached from day-to-day operations. They are quick to admonish employees for things outside of their control. My advice to current employees: save all of your emails, and review them before your meetings. You will have to prove that something was out of your control and that you are exercising due diligence *constantly* to stay on your boss's good side.

Try to get a better idea of the day to day work schedule of your employees; they are probably pulling 60+ hour work weeks to keep up with everything you hand them. You may also think about annual reviews of the functions of each job; I know the position I had (BOA) was more or less the job of 2-3 people.

Also, you don't pay your people enough to retain top talent.