TEKsystems Reviews

Reset
2.8
TEKsystems President Keith Bozeman
Keith Bozeman

Pros
  • The account managers are very supportive (in 33 reviews)

• Great people to work with internally (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance if you are in shifts (in 60 reviews)

• Long Hours can definitely be stressful (in 48 reviews)

I enjoy working for TEK

Current Employee - Human Resources in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Hanover, MD

I have been working at TEKsystems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is strong and the people are great

Cons

Unless you are in sales or recruiting the compensation is very poor. That pride themselves on paying within the 50 percentile, but their comp analysis do not support the actual work individual do to be accurate. The sales and recruiting teams have been performing well under expectations, making it impossible for anyone who doesn't qualifys for commission (non revenue generating employees) get a raise. The company is also extremely flat, so it is almost impossible to have a defined career path. Where there is a defined path the spots are extremely limited so upwards mobility is next to impossible.

Advice to Management

Increase compensation or at least evaluate positions fairly where the comp accurately matches the work accomplished.

2. Business Operations Associate

I have been working at TEKsystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, vacation, personal, and floating days. Yearly events.

Cons

The difference in culture, management, rules, operations, expectations, etc differ so much between managers. Claim to have a great culture but doesn't live up to it. Conflicting messages between what is said and what is done or observed as well as between different leaders in the company.
    Very low pay for the amount of work and responsibility, even with extra qualifications. The rate for someone without a college degree, with an undergraduate degree, and with a graduate degree are all the same.

Advice to Management

Get on the same page as far as expectations for BOAs. When moving to new teams or groups, be open to all, even those different from yourself. Don't blame those you lead for not meeting your expectations when you have completely different expectations from other managers and never communicated the differences. If you believe in the culture, then you have to live it everyday, all the time. You can't give up on someone who is trying to learn and work on themselves and is making progress, just because you believe they should already be where you want them to be.

3. The working environment with co-workers is very suitable, great people and a great atmosphere.

Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst in Hanover, MD

I have been working at TEKsystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team mentality and open communication are two things I like the most.

Cons

The expectations continue to rise, but compensation stays the same. Essentially more and more work for the same return.

Advice to Management

Continue to accept feedback, and challenge those who do not give it

Great job...if you're desperate

Current Employee - Contract Specialist in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Contract Specialist in Hanover, MD

I have been working at TEKsystems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Use this company as a stepping stone and don't make a career out of this place. Although if you don't have a college degree this is a good company to work for. Or if you work in a field office, this may be a decent place.

Cons

This company will underpay you in hopes you buy into their culture. They want to create a work environment that people will love so they will accept a substantially less salary than in other companies. If you are someone who doesn't care about what you make and being expected to work over time for pay that still qualifies you for section 8 housing (not making this up google section 8 qualifications for Anne Arundel County) then this is the job for you.

Don't be fooled by "Fortunes best places to work" because it is not referring to corporate. As soon as I was hired and spoke with my coworkers regarding it being Fortune's best place to work they made sure to let me know that award was only referring to the field offices. This is a corporate job with all the corporate politics that comes along with it. The turnover at this company is unreal. If you really need experience and can't get hired anywhere else use this company as a stepping stone but keep in mind they don't really care about you.

"TEK cares about their employees on a personal level and not just professional" is fake. Don't believe their lies and just go into it knowing what to expect. TEK stresses building relationships as part of their core values, what you should know is that this means you have to be friends with the people you work with in order to make your boss happy. Meaning you need to have coworkers on your team that you regularly hang out with outside of work. Oh and expect to go out to a lot of lunches and constantly try to impress people. The amount of work, responsibility and stress you have to deal with are unbelievable when you take into account the pay rate. Maybe this would be acceptable if you were a higher level manager but for an entry level position it just doesn't add up.

Advice to Management

If you know your employees are being harassed then do something about it.

Great for recent college graduates

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hanover, MD

I have been working at TEKsystems

Pros

You work with really cool people. It's great place to get initial "real world experience" as a lot of what you do builds a transferable skill set

Cons

The work life balance is not good. 10 hour days (including 1 hour lunch) are more common than not common. To compound this frustration processes frequently do not work as they should and the way the work space is structured it is very easy for a co-worker/some one on your team to distract you from what your doing with work related and non work related communication.The last two points make the first even more frustrating.

Advice to Management

It should not be the "culture" that if you leave after being there for 9 hours that you are a "Part-Timer
    " or have a perception of not working hard especially given the fact the salaried employees are not paid overtime. There also needs to be serious consideration of stepping up compensation as we are paid below industry average.

7. Great until the turnover was affecting the whole department negatively for 6+ months.

Current Employee - BOA in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - BOA in Hanover, MD

I have been working at TEKsystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to begin your career. Plenty of opportunity for overtime to make some extra money. A lot of opportunity to grow in a short period of time.

Cons

Work- life balance. There is no training structure. Goals are not realistic. Base salary is low, and yearly max hourly raise is $1.00. I was a top performer on my team and only received .25 hourly raise. No communication. Sometimes push associates into management before they are ready, and then fail as managers.

Advice to Management

Management should be more open to their teams about upcoming changes, and make realistic goals. Manage your teams Don't always be a friend. Learn how manage time properly ex. complete maintenance in a timely manner.

Business Operations Associate

Former Employee - Business Operations Associate in Hanover, MD
    Former Employee - Business Operations Associate in Hanover, MD

I worked at TEKsystems

Pros

Received time and half for overtime hours, young environment, I made very good friends from my peer colleagues.

Cons

I started at TEK as a BOA, which is the entry level position at the corporate office right after I graduated from college. After initially building good relationships with my management (which the culture encourages), very soon after, for no apparent reason, the entire leadership team turned on me and I felt unsupported, disrespected, and unfairly treated. There is no opportunity for growth, at least 5-10 hours of overtime are required each week, and the company teats their employees like children. There is no training program, which yields to mistakes and reprimands from management. The dynamic is extremely mico-managed, I felt that I was constantly being watched or talked about by leaders.

Advice to Management

Management is very young and cliquey, which caused their decisions to be petty and unfair.. Mangers would constantly talk bad about BOAs. My advice is to management is to not push building relationships if it will later be thrown in their employee's faces and used against them at work. Make decisions based off of performance and motivation, not personal preference towards that person.

9. Decent First Job

I have been working at TEKsystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a company that is a good place to start once you are finished college, company is very willing to give people a chance.

Cons

Opportunities that are always talked about by management aren't always there. You can get stuck in an entry level job for quite some time depending on your luck with the accounts you receive.

Interview and job offer...

Former Contractor - Senior Business Analyst in Hanover, MD
    Former Contractor - Senior Business Analyst in Hanover, MD

I worked at TEKsystems as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

TEK was the conduit for me getting a job offer.

Cons

I have a long history with TEK. I initially hired for a position at a rate that I stated was a must-have, and TEK agreed to it. They ended up not hiring me for that position, but sending me to the same client to interview for another. After I was made an offer they explained that they couldn't pay me the rate that was initially discussed and there was no room for negotiation whatsoever. My salary needs hadn't changed between interviews. I ended up receiving another offer from another company, and explained the situation to TEK. It offered full-time work, tons of bennies, and interesting work. Hard to pass up. The recruiter went so far as to try to make me feel that I was making a bad decision about the other company and mildly disparaged the other company. He also asked me if there was anything he could do to change my decision, like offer more money, etc. Where was that money when the initial conversation occurred? Not professional at all and completely lacking tact.

Advice to Management

Understand that if you won't pay someone what they need in order to be comfortable, they won't remain in the position very long, hence, you'll be trying to fill it again as soon as a better offer comes along. And, promote integrity and decency above all, and stop focusing on the bottom line - $$$. There's so much more to recruiting than that.

So-so

Current Employee - Customer Support Associate in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Customer Support Associate in Hanover, MD

I have been working at TEKsystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I do enjoy the culture, and I do feel like my manager has an interest in my goals and how I want to grow. I also enjoy the fact that we do have fun events such as the company tailgate.

Cons

The compensation package has left much to be desired, and there isn't a lot of opportunity to grow. As a single person, the base salary (for which there was no negotiation, mind you), allows you to live paycheck to paycheck. However, as a single parent, it's not enough for the way you are treated by your customers.

Advice to Management

We need better compensation packages and more visibility to how to grow and move into other departments.

Showing 33 of 1,274 reviews