TELUS

Updated February 28, 2015
3.9

TELUS President, CEO, and Director Darren Entwistle
Darren Entwistle

Pros
  • Work life balance is important to the company as well as corporate responsibility (in 94 reviews)

• Their work from home policy is beneficial for work life balance (in 72 reviews)

Cons
  • They don't really care about employee work-life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Senior management values did not translate to strong middle management (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

534 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Exceptional people; great place to work.

I have been working at TELUS full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Telus hires bright, talented, people and works to keep them. Good benefits and competitive compensation package. Flexible work arrangements means you can work from home if you need to.

Cons

Large corporate culture means more overhead and process, which can sometimes be frustrating. Career development within some departments is limited by the size of the department, but the vast size of the organization allows room to move across departments if openings exist.

More autonomy in decision-making at the middle management layers could help with morale and productivity.

Project Management Role

I have been working at TELUS

Pros

Ability to telework from home or other offices is great. Project teams are very passionate about what they do.

Cons

Teleworking with project team members in all of Canada's time-zone in a very matrixed organization challenges work-life balance sometimes.

Focus on enabling team members through effective, efficient and scalable work processes.

Damage Prevention

Current Employee - Cable Locate Support Coordinator II in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cable Locate Support Coordinator II in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at TELUS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Best Company to work for

Cons

There are NO cons with working for TELUS

Awful

Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at TELUS

Pros

Good benefits
    useful HR systems for management of pay, benefits, performance reviews, etc.

Cons

Not all departments at Telus are created equal.
    In the department that I worked, which was basically as a 100% service provider to an outside client:
    Work life balance was non-existant for me.
    Management was basically: Do what I say and don't ask questions. No opportunity to voice opinion or other potential ways of doing things.
    Extremely poor to non-existant planning of projects and anytime the team got together to plan and present a properly planned project, it was basically thrown out the window.
    Manager constantly calling us "the girls" in a pejorative way and swore constantly.
    Employees that expressed career motivation were excluded from training/learning opportunities because they were not a good investment if they were going to take that training elsewhere in the company.

pay more attention to synchronizing your company culture across the whole company and not turn a blind eye to departments that are profitable simply because they are profitable.

Good company for balance

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at TELUS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong work from home programs and a good team of people that work together. Found few people with High egos.

Cons

Responsibility according to pay don't line up. The company underpays its employees based on the industry standards. Project delivery tends to take forever in the company due to lack of funds and multiple department support/training in order to launch new services. BT continues to be the biggest assets and problem within this company. Asset for knowledge liability related to cost and time to implement according to when the market needs it.

Overall good company to work for. Pay isn't everything as long as you have a well balanced work environment which Telus does provide.

Good and bad

Current Employee - Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TELUS full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility of working from home, good bonus structure and lots of little perks such as a personal cell phone plan and discounts on hotels and car rentals. Generally good managers and people. If you have little ambition or willing to accept that its just a job. You will love it at TELUS.

Cons

Depends on which business unit of TELUS you are at. I would not recommend going to BCX. Poor leadership and very tight controls over decisions. Unless you are at the executive level, you will have a very tactical role executing your paymasters orders. Its a traditional factory line model with little room for innovation and ideas.

Pay close attention to the contradictions in what you say and what you do

Manager

I have been working at TELUS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work hours and location flexibility for most departments. Paid fairly. Living by the customer-first culture quite successfully.

Cons

Depending on who your leader is, the culture of the team could be different.

Amazing Culture, Amazing Company

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at TELUS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Top 2 corporate priorities are Customer's First Culture, and Employee Engagement. These priorities are evident on every level from our CEO to our Front-Line Team Members.
    - Heavily invested in growing from within and development of team members. You can work your way from the ground up within TELUS.
    - Fair Process is promoted and practiced the vast majority of the time.
    - Fair Compensation. I've worked in multiple areas with multiple pay ranges, and I've always felt I get what I earn.
    - High participation in community involvement events.

Cons

- Culture between BU and M&P staff still has gaps we need to fill.

Keep working hard on aligning all areas of the business with our corporate strategy. Work still needs to be done to educate and align all areas on what Customer First should look like in a ideal world, and what we mean when we speak of Engagement. These messages vary in perception across the company, as each department has a unique culture. We're already doing an amazing job at propelling these ideas to the forefront of peoples minds, but I think with more alignment and clear communication, we can exceed our expectations regarding where those focuses can bring us.

Great place to work

I have been working at TELUS

Pros

the people are great to work with. Not much politics between employees. The pay is fair and the benefits are good. Work to life balance is also very good, time worked is flexible.

Cons

training is lacking is some area's. this is an issue because the environment is so dynamic often new technology is rolled out with minimum to no training which can be challenging.

Good company room to grow

Current Employee - Senior Technology Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Technology Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TELUS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Big company lots of great people to work with. Work life balance is not so great but still manageable. Salary is OK, benefits are good. Training is usually not a problem unless you are talking 10 courses a year. Lots of cutting in expenses and overtime, and trying to go as much lean as possible.

Cons

Lots of politics and red tape involved, lots of rookie managers that doesn't know the basic people management skills

Please hire right FLM's, or provide good training specially for people management skills.

TELUS Photos