TELUS Mobility

Updated June 16, 2014
3.9

TELUS Mobility President and CEO Darren Entwistle
Darren Entwistle

Pros
  • Good place to work with if you care about the work life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Great Management, talented people and great benefits (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Salary needs to be more competitive (better off to leave & come back to receive market level compensation), work/life balance is minimal at best (in 4 reviews)

• Senior management does not communicate well and there is a lack cohesiveness within the different business units (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It's not your typical Telco.

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at TELUS Mobility as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Agile for a big 3
    management ok

Cons

corporate ethos
    work in a box

20% freedom to work other areas for experience.

Manager

Former Employee - Manager  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at TELUS Mobility full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great tools, processes, learning & development, advancement opportunities, work from home flexibility & benefits plan

Data Network Associate

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at TELUS Mobility part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Well paying job while in school. Management was good and people were friendly.

Cons

Tough to do long term. Used to be flexible with student schedule but changes made me leave. To get into different roles there seems to be a bit favoritism.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great workplace great environment and great people to work with

Former Employee - Client Loyalty & Retention Specialist  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Client Loyalty & Retention Specialist in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at TELUS Mobility full-time for more than a year

Pros

great pay, flexibility with work you can trade shifts easily not constantly requiring managers permision, amazing people to work with.

Cons

its a call center environment so offcourse the con would be always being busy as well as dealing with a lot of client abuse

atleast have the ability to terminate with warning if the call if client is going way out of line

Great job for Students

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at TELUS Mobility part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of commission can be made, making it an ideal job for students. The amount of work varies from store-to-store, but the amount of income someone makes is very dependent on their ability to sell. this job is a great way to get yourself in the door for sales related jobs

Cons

lots of repetition and monotonous work, clientele always shoot the messenger when they have mobility problems. The amount of unhappy clientele you have to deal with is very high, even if you were not the representative that made them unhappy, you are expected to fix their problems

streamline the process and also ensure that the employees from corporate telus are on the same page as employees in the store. there have been too many times where i have called the employee assistance center, also known as channel care, and they have provided me with wrong information

Great to make quick cash and learn sales skills.

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at TELUS Mobility full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay for amout of work, develop interpersonal skills

Cons

Stress, a lot of system outages. No social life and no consistent scheduled.

create consistent scheduals

Not a long term choice, unless you are targeting their R&D / Technology business units

Current Employee - Data Network Associate  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Data Network Associate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at TELUS Mobility full-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive pay, great benefits, clear corporate vision and goals, unionized workplace is likely the reason why the schedule and pay structure is so stable and predictable...which is a pro for many.

Cons

Really, the job itself was a giant con. I took it and stayed at it because I was working my way through university and needed a steady, low demand job. The job consists of continual abuse from customers and perpetual micro-management from your manager. These drawbacks certainly aren't unique to Telus Mobility (it's the call centre industry as a whole) but they certainly haven't found a way to make a thankless job a little less sucky.

I wish I had advice. I don't envy management within customer care operations as I have worked in enough call centres to realize the many challenges they face with convincing unengaged team members so as to avoid explaining why numbers might be bad for upper management.

Brutal work environment!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at TELUS Mobility full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

wage & holidays were ok

Cons

shift work for most of the depts, union, micromanaged

Marketing manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at TELUS Mobility

Pros

Positive people environmentand great brand strategy that is recognizable. Lots of human resource program development even if it is not practically applied.

Cons

knee jerk reactions to market conditions. There is an incumbency culture that invades the morale at this company. There needs to be a small business entrpreneurial spirit that is not there.

Need better planning and open management. Need an emphasis on people management rather than monthly scorecard management. There needs to be a small business entrpreneurial spirit that is not there.

Terrible experience.

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at TELUS Mobility

Pros

The compensation wasn't bad. For uneducated people, they aren't going to make any more money anywhere else. The job is fairly challenging but if you're up for it, you can do good.

Cons

What isn't a downside? Management is very bush league. Their retention plan is to keep promising career development but never give it to you. Finally, I found a better job than the one Telus wasn't even offering me! Smartest thing I ever did. Other than that, the hours sucked, the benefits sucked, and a lot of the employees are overweight union types who have been doing the same job for 20 years.

Get a real job, work for a real company. The management in Calgary is basically rejects out of the oil and gas industry.

Worked for TELUS Mobility? Contribute to the Community!