TELUS Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
3.8

TELUS President, CEO, and Director Darren Entwistle
Darren Entwistle

Pros
  • Work life balance is important to the company as well as corporate responsibility (in 89 reviews)

• Their work from home policy is beneficial for work life balance (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • They don't really care about employee work-life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Senior management values did not translate to strong middle management (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people/team members, high workload on a small team

Former Employee - Product Manager
    Former Employee - Product Manager

I worked at TELUS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible work hours, work from home. Collaborative teams across the company, even with remote offices. I worked on a small team, and genuinely enjoyed the company of my peers, and would socialize with them outside of work.

Cons

Small team, insufficient resources when managing multiple product lines. You'll have to wear multiple hats and getting campaigns off the ground can get caught up in process and really slow things down

Perhaps the best company I've worked for in the past decade.

Former Employee - Corporate Communications
    Former Employee - Corporate Communications

I worked at TELUS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you're on a good team/department you'll find the following is true:
    - Great opportunities to learn and grow your career
    - Highly successful, innovative and organized teams
    - Excellent benefits, perks and incentives for those who work hard
    - Incredibly talented and gracious professionals to work with
    - Flexible work schedules/styles; working remotely is common and little micro-managing

Cons

- Transparency is still an issue between HR/executives and general employees
    - Some rules don't apply to all employees across the board

Be open and honest with your team. They don't mind hearing the truth even if it isn't positive.

It's a growing company, still on the stage of experimenting the structure.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at TELUS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are young adults - not immature but not close-minded - so I get along with them. For some reason, they attract decent workers. The office was spacious and vibrant. My supervisors have a lot to improve, but they just got the job from being a customer service representative so they're merely grasping. The good thing though is they promote from within first before searching for an outside candidate if there is an open position.

I like the freedom to do what I wish, which can turn into a disadvantage for the company.

Cons

The training period could improve. It's too long and so it got too boring. The trainer gave us too many breaks, told unrelated stories and showed random videos on YouTube just to fill in the time. A lot of times, we just watch him use his iPhone or write an email on the projector. Then the final examination was too brief that it irate two people on our class into quitting.

There is terrible communication between departments. HR people don't know that they have a new position open. The supervisors are guessing when the agents ask them questions, which led to misinformation.

For me, and this is based on my personality, the job as a call center agent was boring. I sit on my computer all day and does the same thing. It felt like I'm only using 0.02% of my brain. This is a con for the job, not for the company.

The company policies are not strongly implemented - work on it.

Great learning experience working in an outsource call center

Current Employee - Fraud Analyst in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Fraud Analyst in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at TELUS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great location close to home saved on gas

Cons

High turnover and a business dress code is needed

communication with employees needs little improvement

Not Very Good - No Teamwork

I have been working at TELUS full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, some good people stuck in a terrible organization.

Cons

Lower level management only wants to advanced their own career. They had no concern for customers and their direct reports. They are absolutely clueless.

Place sucks

good working environment

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in New Market, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in New Market, IN

I have been working at TELUS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

aside from working environment the people is so accommodating

Cons

some compensation is not good for employee

to create a program that will make employee motivtated

Great Stable work.

I worked at TELUS

Pros

Allows Work From Home.
    Has nice Laptops for work + another monitor so you get a big workspace.
    flexible time.
    nice co - workers and nice boss as well in the main office in canada

Cons

It's a big company so there will be politics ne way or another.
    Each team (as far as I'm concerned in my work) takes care of its own problems only. Once they see the message passed to their system is correct, pass it along to the next in line to check. It seems to me problems will be solved if both teams work more together than just passing stuff around and forgetting about it.

Too many meetings, you won't have time to get things done in the office at times (depends on your position).

keep up the good work! I know a lot of people who love the company and love their work here.

A great employer

Former Employee - Client Care Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Client Care Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at TELUS full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Young company, many opportunities for advancement, personable management

Cons

New management, increased responsibility without increased pay, had to help the company grow in the US from the first day (not necessarily a bad thing to me. I enjoyed it.)

This program was the most unorganized, ill thought position available.

Former Employee - Dell Printer Sales in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Dell Printer Sales in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at TELUS

Pros

Commission structure was great, until they capped the commission, then capped commission again, and later informed us that our commission would be docked according to breaks taken in excess of 30 minutes a day however they did not correctly identify break times and choose to doc commission based of time spent away from phone based on bathroom time., work week Monday thru Friday, work hours 6am - 2:30 pm

Cons

Management very disorganized. Management would not put anything in writing to prove exactly what the rate of pay was from one week to the next. Commission structure changed several times within a 1 months time spand to cover Telus bottom line. Management favored coworkers based on personal relationships not on actual work performance. Companies like this are a vial waste of time and are filled with empty promises. Programs are started and closed to make companies look good-like they are bringing jobs back to the US. When in real life these jobs are still being serviced by Manilla, and other 3rd world countries that take US jobs away from Americans, however what more would you expect from a Canadian run brand.

Management must learn how to treat employees correctly. People looking for work are not live stock, and hearding people in and out of a business is not practical nor is it beneficial to a work environment. If you require your employees to not use cell phone on the floor then common sense would tell you not to use yours on the floor too. Spending time with your employees may increase production, spending less time surfing the web, and texting (taking personal cell phone calls) while on the floor may actually make you look like you care about your position. Yes Veronica Ogletree and Joe Ferranti this means you!!!

Unbelievable experience with unbelievable people.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at TELUS as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The work environment at TELUS was phenomenal. I had a chance to work on many great projects that really helped me grow as a professional and a person.

Cons

Working in such a large organization, there are times where it feels as though it can be disjointed. What I mean by this is that there isn't as much synergies between departments as their could be. Further, the on-boarding process could have been better.

TELUS Photos

A Telus store in Moncton (Photo attributed to Stu pendousmat - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 & GFDL, version 1.2)
Cubicle