TELUS

Updated November 13, 2014
3.8

TELUS President, CEO, and Director Darren Entwistle
Darren Entwistle

Pros
  • Work life balance is important to the company as well as corporate responsibility (in 91 reviews)

• Their work from home policy is beneficial for work life balance (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • They don't really care about employee work-life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Senior management values did not translate to strong middle management (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

125 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Employer, but with any corporation tons of politics

Former Employee - Client Care Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Client Care Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at TELUS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Salary
    - Work Life balance
    - Benefits
    - Room for advancement

Cons

Corporate politics
    Lack of vision for the future

Gain a better grasp of whats happening in the marketplace and adapt accordingly.

customer service

Former Employee - Employee Services Administrator I in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Employee Services Administrator I in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at TELUS part-time (less than an year)

Pros

good environment and good approach to employee

Cons

not available, there is nothing ro tell

Telus Inc

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at TELUS as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Worked contract and still able to maintain work-life balance. As a contractor treated Ok. Met and worked with many great people and some now have continued as friends past my departure from Telus (due to Telus suddenly ending all contracts over 3 years in length). I would work for Telus again if the opportunity presented.

Cons

Contract wage cut back from starting rate (could be contractor resourcing company I was with too but not truly sure what the driver was or where it came from). Generally many senior mangers are based out west which makes for a challenging "understanding the business out east" environment and getting the right out east processes in place.

Although, wasn't' a front-line or unionized employee, as a dotted-line front line manager (no reporting employees) the corporation's leadership (director level & VP level) need to better understand the contribution front-line mangers with extensive on-the-ground knowledge can make to the business and the value they want and can add to Telus' bottom line and delivery capabilities.

Good culture but watch out for people throwing you under the bus

Former Employee - Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at TELUS full-time

Pros

Good culture, high engagement scores, good diversity programs. Strong customer focus. Flexible work programs - mobile, residents, and home employees.

Cons

Like any large organization, people all want to make their mark. Lots of changes since Joe Natale came on board. People are being thrown under the bus, lack of transparency though they spout it incessantly. People whom you thought were your friends when it comes to it, will speak ill of you. At the director level and above, executives strategize well in ensuring only their closest friends not the ones who are most qualified are retained. Experience, expertise, and thought leadership are thrown out the door when it comes down to budgets and cost containments.

Have an exit interview to know exactly what your ex-employees are feeling, experiencing, and next steps. Lack of this activity will prevent you from having boomerang employees. Future focused plans need future focused talent and anyone who is remotely a contrarian becomes a liability. Not a good thing.

It's OK

Former Employee - Specialty Sales Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Specialty Sales Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at TELUS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fun people. Good Marketing. Energetic.

Cons

Bad comp plan. Anxious management.

Treat your sales people better.

Great Place to work with great benefits.

Current Employee - Technology Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technology Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TELUS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Great Colleagues/Managers
    - Clear Communications from Company updated nearly daily for those interested.

Cons

- Lack of Family/Friend plans, whenever I tell them i work for Telus, I get asked the what kind of family discounts you get, and it's kind of embarassing to say. 25% of gear that can be bought at a mobile mall store for 1/3rd the price, and like free Call Display. Not very enticing.

- Salaries should be hire based on Similiar jobs offered by the big 2, but I'd rather work for the Good Company that cares, than the one that wants to sell Leafs tickets.

- No Optik TV on the East Coast yet or ever, but thats probably the Ex Rogers/Bell Execs... I mean CRTC's decision (or budgetery concerns at this time, no doubt internet will get faster/cheaper overtime, and everyone I know is dying to get out of the Duopoly for everything from their internet, cell phones, tv...

Unbelievable experience with unbelievable people.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at TELUS as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The work environment at TELUS was phenomenal. I had a chance to work on many great projects that really helped me grow as a professional and a person.

Cons

Working in such a large organization, there are times where it feels as though it can be disjointed. What I mean by this is that there isn't as much synergies between departments as their could be. Further, the on-boarding process could have been better.

Little progression

Former Employee - Financial Analyst III in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst III in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at TELUS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a stable place to work with a lot of smart people. Benefits are good and will keep many people on board for life. Generally a good place to work if you seek stability.

Cons

Salaries are lower than at other companies. Dealing with the very rigid hierarchy is frustrating. Career progression is nearly non-existent.

Empower your employees.

Work life balance is good but career growth is zero.

Current Employee - BSA in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - BSA in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TELUS as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Good work life balance is good and flexibility in timings

Cons

career growth is zero and few people do all the work while majority go by.

It's all a facade...

Current Employee - Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TELUS full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working remotely, and stock options are great perks.

Cons

Dishonest and unethical senior management that blatently disregard the very same ethics and integrity they expect from those that report to them. Nepotism and cronyism reign supreme while hardworking folks who repeatedly make sacrifices for the good of the business continually get the shaft.

Practice what you preach and walk the talk. Hiring and promoting your personal friends for critical projects wreaks of nepotism and exposes the ugly truth about the "team" which is only called one when it suits the needs of certain senior management members. Squndering thousands of dollars wining and dining your cronies on corporate expense accounts while stating there isn't money available for ethical and honest team members wreaks of hypocrisy and dishonesty, and kills morale. Nothing would please me more than to see some of these directors corporate cards fully audited. I've personally witnessed 4-digit bar tabs charged to corporate accounts. Shameful and disgusting. Just look for the ones who travel regularly between Vancouver and Toronto....

TELUS Photos