TELUS

TELUS Reviews in Toronto, ON Canada

Updated Jul 14, 2014

TELUS President, CEO, and Director Darren Entwistle

Darren Entwistle

Pros
  • Work life balance is important to the company as well as corporate responsibility(in 82 reviews)

• Their work from home policy is beneficial for work life balance(in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Shift work is always very hard on work-life balance(in 22 reviews)

• Senior management values did not translate to strong middle management(in 13 reviews)

125 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Work Life Balance

Senior Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Scarborough, ON (Canada)

ProsGood work life balance, medical benefits, bonus are good.
    Pay is fair, slightly below high end.

ConsLimited training.
    Despite being in the high performance range no salary raise in the last 3 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementClaims raises are performance based, but in fact they are not.

Fine Place to work

Business Development (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsMost leaders encourage a work life balance and hours are reasonable.
    Pay is fair, if slightly below high end.

ConsBonus system is poorly explained which created false expectations.
    Pay increases are dependent on other employee's being in 'range or not'.
    Minimal pay increases for internal promotions so make sure you negotiate hard coming in

Advice to Senior ManagementClaims raises are merit based, but in fact they are not.

Good flexible work environment

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsAmazing flexible work options, work life balance. Most employees are mobile and work from home up to 5 days a week.
    Good incentives, share plan and bonus

ConsPoor base pay, lower than other similar jobs. Also, due to the work form home option, you often end up working late into the night or longer hours than you would at the office. Seems everyone is expected to be "on" all the time and answer emails at any hour.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook from within before hiring from outside. Respect work hours

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Strong culture

Human Resources (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsTELUS really understands the importance of culture. I love the flexibility in schedule, the autonomy, innovative environment. Not only a strong consumer brand, but a brilliant employer brand.

ConsCan't think of anything negative.

Decent Environment, OK Work, Meh People

Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsNice help from supporting team and the work and projects are not that challenging. Work moves at a decent pace, I don't mean to imply that it's slow, just not agile with daily builds or anything.

ConsNot very lenient hours, dull corporate work life structure, not an energetic team, or a team at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake work more fun, and add some spirit. Manage the office better.

Great Company to work for

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Hamilton, ON (Canada)

Prosgood pay with good commissions
    ok hours for both part time and full time
    good training

Conscan be a stressful job
    some stores can be quite slow
    required min hours for part timers

Team Leader

Team Leader (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsIt is a great company to work for and is very customer focus

ConsYou have to take the lead and own your career path

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

Product manager

Product Manager (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat work life balance with mobile work environment.
    Opportunities for growth if motivated.
    Contractors treated better than at similar companies.
    Mentorship and learning options plentiful if paired with the right manager.

ConsCan be difficult to go from contract to full time. You have to prove that you're fully committed to being at the company long term if you expect to see any mobility.

Advice to Senior ManagementOften the company values are mocked within departments, even by managers. It would be best to engage employees in tasks that represent the company values than just chanting them over and over.

My experience was very good.

Sales Specialist (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsTELUS pays well and is on the leading edge of telecommunications technology. They also have excellent benefits, including matching funds for stock purchases. The CEO of TELUS, Darren Entwistle, is a fantastic world class leader. For the past five years, his compensation has come entirely from shares. TELUS has a great emphasis on giving where they live and virtually the whole work force is involved in community and charity work. They are very fair and even generous in their lay-off procedures.

ConsThe are a that I was working on was entirely focused on Enterprise clients, whereas my job was to work with small and medium businesses. Unfortunately, they did not develop any products in my product area for these customers, so i didn't really have much to sell. And eventusaly they eliminated my position.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seems that there are lay-offs on at least a yearly basis. And some VERY experienced and accomplished reps get laid off, President's Club winners with MBA's amongst them. This seems to me to be a waste of human talent.

So far don't have any issye

Network Specialist II (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsLearning opportunities but it depends which team you work for.

ConsToo much pressure. Work load and not enough head counts. More work and less pay

Worked for TELUS? Contribute to the Community!