TEOCO

Updated Feb 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Atul Jain

Felt Less Employee Owned Every Day.

Cost Auditor (Former Employee)
    Fairfax, VA

ProsThe people. Some of the strongest professional relationships Ive built were at this company, because many of the people there were some of the best people I've ever worked with. Upper management tries very hard to be transparent to the rest of the company so things like Financials, and plans are all shared in a very timely manner.

ConsSome really awesome things happening inside the company, but you must pass the personality test of upper management to make it close to them.

What used to be a small and agile company is close to losing it's focus with acquisitions and growth.

The industry space that TEOCO operates in has changed, and they have spent so long dominating that space that as it tries to expand out of that space, it does it in an ungainly and clumsy manner.

management is always "looking for a bargin" and will pay accordingly. Raises are small,

Decent place to work, but awful pay and no chance at promotions

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOverall, it was a generally decent place to work with standard benefits. The CEO was very hands-on and was an entrepreneur at heart.

The acquisitions and business strategy do lead me to believe that this company will continue to do well for some time. They are very risk averse, and will do whatever it takes to keep their heads above water.

ConsAny upsides to this company were crushed by these cons:

- Very low compensation compared to the competition. While I can understand that it's important to keep costs inline, TEOCO is in a very high COL area, and similar jobs at competitors easily paid 25-50% more.

- Receiving a promotion was near impossible. It's a fairly flat hierarchy, and those at the top are all family or friends.

- You're stuck working in Fairfax. Give up any hope of happy hours, social life, etc.

- No working from home

Advice to Senior ManagementYour meager employee stock program is not enough incentive considering the crappy compensation. If you have a limited budget and want to watch costs, hire quality over quantity and pay market rates.

All in perspective...

ProsGreat work life balance
    Great colleagues
    Fun atmosphere (sometimes)

ConsVery repetitive job function
    No development
    No advancement
    Low pay

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to notice the people actually making a difference, develop them, promote them and lastly pay them.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

TEOCO: Turning TGIFs into TGIMs

Employee Coach (Current Employee)
    Fairfax, VA

ProsNot everything is right for everyone. But something is always right for someone. Like every organization, TEOCO has it's strengths as well as its challenges. This is a great place for some, and not for others. You may enjoy being part of TEOCO if:

* Work/life balance and peace of mind that comes with working with a caring group and for a financially strong organization is far more important to you than simply the size of your paycheck.
    * You value stability, where as long as you perform, you can be reasonably assured you'll be working and not be constantly worrying what will happen given the on-going short-term economic fluctuations.
    * Where you get to be more of who you are and you get to do more of what you do well and enjoy doing, and less of what you don't.
    * You enjoy being part of a team where people care for each other, where team success is valued along with individual success, where giving is valued more than receiving.
    * Doing great work in and of itself gives you great deal of joy. And the rest is just more icing on the cake.
    * A growing organization that values achieving managable growth and at the same time values being debt free, reinvesting it's profits for sake of long-term success and stability over short-term gains.
    * A place where you are treated with respect as a human being, and not just a cog in the wheel.
    * Where the CEO takes an active interest in it's employees to make sure they are experiencing joy at work and are achieving what truly matters to them in their life, and not just at work.
    * It's a place where communication is open. For example, where financials are openly shared, where the CEO has the courage to openly admit what he doesn't know and where he isn't afraid to ask for help from his team.

At TEOCO, daily we strive to be a better and better place to work. While we're doing lots of things well, we realize we can still do better, and we're trying. So if you want to be part of a team where you get to have a say and you enjoy being part of the solution, come talk to us.

ConsWhat one considers a con is subject to one's personal values, perspectives, and how one sees what one sees. Having said that, following could be considered cons by some:

* It's a relatively flat organization. If you desire fast upward mobility with big titles, this place is not for you.
    * TEOCO is very cost conscious with a clean yet no frills environment (which btw is what also makes it financially strong and gives it the ability to weather ups and downs that occur). If you're a big spender and you like lots of fancy frills, TEOCO is not for you.
    * If having the largest paycheck possible is most important to you and not much else matters, don't bother applying at TEOCO.
    * Decision making is thoughtful and takes time. If you're a maverick, a high risk taker, and you want to move FAST, you may find TEOCO challenging.
    * If you value short-term gains over long-term success, TEOCO is not for you.
    * If your primary focus is on "What's In It Me" over "What's In It For Us", then TEOCO may not be for you.
    * TEOCO is a family environment where team members think of each other and care for each other, and as with any large family it has it's joys as well as it's challenges. Ask yourself how you funcation in a large family. If you don't love that, then also TEOCO may be challenging for you.

If these cons don't seem as cons to you and the Pros resonate with you, you may want to talk to us.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome members of the Senior Leadership team could be a bit more visible.

Looking for job satisfaction? THIS is the place you want to be!

Fairfax, VA

ProsA firm belief in treating employees with respect and value.
    A flat management structure, with an open-door policy, even for the CEO himself.
    Employee-owned; your success fuels your rewards.
    A genuine desire to create joy in the workplace.

ConsYou won't have a salary as high as other telecom companies, but this is far outweighed by the other benefits of employment (bonuses, amazing medical/401K/stocks, work/life balance, and other incentives).

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to make yourselves available to employees - it's so refreshing to not fear chastisement when you have to get something off your chest!

Could be a good company

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Fairfax, VA

ProsYou can develop your ideas at TEOCO with support from management. There is a good deal of latitude in how you go about performing your job. Management does listen to ideas.

ConsCEO believes he's God's gift to employees, but he gets in the way a lot and overestimates the company's "employer friendliness". You won't be working with the best and brightest software people at TEOCO, and personal development is not a strong suit.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove compensation relative to competitors and attract higher quality people.

Good Company (Mumbai branch)

Support Engineer (Current Employee)
    Mumbai (India)

ProsColleagues/ Fellow staff are very good, knowledgeable. Most are very helpful.
    Work environment is ok, encouraging.
    Management is very co-operative.
    Good efforts into training new employees.
    Appraisal % is ok.
    Frequent team-lunches, outings.
    Clean hygienic office quarters.

ConsWorking in shifts - affects work-life balance (related to profile)
    Chances of career growth- very less (related to profile)
    Leaves added in fractions every month.
    Very few additional benefits/compensations.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to urgently recruit more people, have more faith in younger employees.
    Keep check on lazy senior members.

'Inequality for All' anyone?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNone. There must be some, but I have never experienced nor heard of any.

ConsIf you haven't already seen the documentary 'Inequality for All', watch it, it describes companies such as TEOCO. CEO believes in quantity over quality and is more than happy to decrease salaries whenever he acquires a company. He doesn't discriminate, just cuts salaries across the board, regardless of the employee's level of performance. So, if you are the kind of employee that believes in paying for quality, is a hard worker, ambitious, and values themselves and their work, TEOCO is not for you. If, on the other hand, you are complacent, don't care about salary and are happy to work well below the market, subservient, and have zero initiative, TEOCO is your perfect match. I was a top performer at my company prior to TEOCO acquiring us, they offered me a salary decrease, as they did all staff, and I was happy to move on. In all honesty, you genuinely can't do worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above. CEO and his management (mostly friends and family) are ego driven only. His business model is cutting costs (primarily by reducing salaries), nothing more creative nor strategic than that. It is astonishing that management is not aware that reducing salaries across the board is not going to result in a productive workforce; contrarily, it will result in employees giving the bare minimum and constantly looking elsewhere for work. Inevitably the strong employees will leave and those that are complacent will remain. Instead of getting rid of dead-weight in the beginning and keeping salaries of high performing employees the same, they punish those that put in effort, and reward those that have been coasting along. Truly remarkable. Management 101.

Hungry, courageous, strong leadership company.

Sales (Current Employee)
    Milan (Italy)

ProsGreat people: High energy, proactive and positive attitude. Heavy work but with the right support from colleagues and superiors.
    If you are looking for confort zone, this is not the company you are looking for, but you are missing all the fun related.
    Great products and solutions.

Consstill to find, none by now

Family owned business

ProsThe people are good to work with. The customer base is great. There is a market for the products.

ConsThe management team is in way over their heads. There is no basic organizational structure or operational processes in place. The CEO hires incompetent friends and family bypassing any interview process. Decisions are made and reversed all the time without communicating to employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdmit you need help and hire experienced exectutives.... yes, you will have to pay them!

Worked for TEOCO? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TEOCO reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for TEOCO CEO Atul Jain. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by TEOCO employees.