TESSCO

TESSCO Reviews

Updated Mar 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

TESSCO Chairman, President & CEO Robert "Barney" Barnhill Jr.

Robert "Barney" Barnhill Jr.

Good starter job, not great long term

Junior IT Analyst (Former Employee)
Timonium, MD

I worked at TESSCO full-time for more than a year

ProsSchedule flexibility, friendly management, holidays off

ConsPay, work from home option taken from employees, little to no room for promotion or growth

A good company to work for.

Sales Support (Former Employee)
Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at TESSCO full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTESSCO is a good company to work for. Good work life balance and benefits. TESSCO distributes the best named products in Wireless technology and is well known across the USA. Constantly marketing to keep the TESSCO name in front of customers.

ConsLimited opportunity for compensation growth. Disconnected and older technology systems.

The longer you stay, the less you are valued

Inside Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Timonium, MD

I have been working at TESSCO full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat work culture
Small company feel
Strong work environment

ConsGrowing company but still operate like a Mom & Pop shop
Influences & opinions of people are made by people that don't know who does what

Advice to Senior ManagementThey do everything they can to spin the archaic expectations

The Culture

I have been working at TESSCO full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people. The culture is open door, but it depends upon who you work for which will define your success. Some departments work hard with little compensation while others just seem to do little to add value.

Consno clear goals. Everything is subject to change as the executives see fit. Depends who you work for. There is never clear goals sets for each department. The KPM's for one department may work counter to another. Each business unit should have clearly defined performance measures that jive with others.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the long view, walk the walk, don't just talk the talk.

HOSTILE WORK ENVIRONMENT

Account Manager (Former Employee)
Reno, NV

I worked at TESSCO full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits. The Reno office is head up by a great VP, but he is the exception, not the rule. Good employees, what a shame they are treated so poorly.

ConsHorrible leadership is a complete understatement. Hostile, verbally abusive work environment. HR allows it! The CEO encourages it. Do not accept a position with TESSCO unless you are absolutely desperate.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect. Your employees are people, not robots. Human Resources needs to stop protecting and encouraging a hostile work environment; and yes, she does encourage it.

The people are great to work with but its tough to grow within this company.

Sales Support (Former Employee)
Cockeysville, MD

I worked at TESSCO full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people you work with are great
Benefits are decent
Ability to accrue time off monthly

Consnot much opportunity for growth
pay could be higher for the work load demanded
micro managing
0 flexibility to work from home at a wireless tech company

Advice to Senior ManagementYou shouldn't have to write an essay explaining why you deserve a raise. Please reward people for the efforts. Growth seems more about who you know than what you have accomplished.

Proceed with Caution! Call Center, not Inside Sales!

Account Manager (Former Employee)
Reno, NV

I worked at TESSCO full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat Health Benefits. 401K. Some very nice employees, especially in the Reno office.

ConsMicro Management. A "Be Seen & Not Heard" culture. Managed by fear. TESSCO is a great starting place for young people right out of college, but not for professional sales people.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a sales-driven organization, you may want to consider valuing your sales staff. The constant beat-down and berating is not necessary to motivate sales professionals. If you continue to perform for the shareholders year after year, why the sky is falling mentality? There will NEVER be change until the CEO learns to take advice from others who may actually have something to offer. Dogma will never make TESSCO a billion dollar organization, get rid of the Yes-Men. Stop forcing employees to watch FOX Television.

Absolutely Ridiculous. would find another job if finding one wasn't so Difficult

I have been working at TESSCO full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people you work with and the vacation time

ConsEverything else. You only get a raise when you ask for one and explain in a written document why you deserve one. A board of people who don't know you at all approve or deny it. You are a # to this company, not a person. There is no growth or way to move up as expressed when you start here. They allow people to use and abuse the system and get away with it, but others have to abide by every rule. All of you work can be done remotely!

Advice to Senior ManagementGetting rid of the DOS system and come into the 21st Century of products/systems

Worst company I have ever worked for.

BENDIE (Current Employee)
Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at TESSCO full-time for more than 5 years

Prosgood health insurance bad pay snobby bosses.

ConsNO RAISES! I worked 4 years with no raise. I made 9 dollars an hour.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your head out of your azz.

If u want raises don't work here

I have been working at TESSCO full-time

ProsBenefits are ok..except 401k. Its terrible.

ConsYou have to ASK for a raise and PROVE that you deserve it. You never get what you've asked for and always expect at least 6 months before you will hear back from "senior management's" approval. Yes SVPs who have no idea who you are approve or deny the request. They are reducing a request for $2000 to $1500. Pathetic. But check out annual report. They always get raises and the % is so out of whack with what employees receive.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire us if we r such poor workers.

Worked for TESSCO? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TESSCO reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for TESSCO CEO Robert "Barney" Barnhill Jr. . All 31 reviews posted anonymously by TESSCO employees.