TESSCO

TESSCO Reviews

Updated October 22, 2014
Updated October 22, 2014
2.4

TESSCO Chairman, President & CEO Robert "Barney" Barnhill Jr.
Robert "Barney" Barnhill Jr.

sales support representative

Current Employee - Sales Support in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Support in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at TESSCO full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company was a flat organization and they provided a lot of small fun activities. fairs ect when there was a holiday for example at Valentines day they gave everyone in the organization a red or pink cup cake

Cons

There is not a lot of advancement potential. There is a lot of in-fighting between markets.

Pay your employees better.

TESSCO is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Sales in Lutherville Timonium, MD
    Current Employee - Sales in Lutherville Timonium, MD

I have been working at TESSCO part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At TESSCO emoyees learn something new everyday. It is a team of teams.

Cons

Lack of privacy and a tremendous amount of gossip. It unfortunate how quickly rumors are spread.

Keep up the goid work!!!

A growing company held back by small thinking

I worked at TESSCO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are smart and helpful. The company is pretty laid back, and the benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Management loves to preach how they want to act like an enlightened company, but they come back time and again to micromanage. Raises are a joke - you only are considered if you ask.

New blood is needed - try and actually be a bigger company and you might succeed.

Old Men Need to Step Down

I worked at TESSCO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I started working there during the time when ladies did not have to wear panty hose during the summer any longer and men did not have to wear sports coats and ties. So I would say a pro is relaxed environment. I was "upstairs" which was very different than the sales department downstairs. The infrastructure team was pretty laid back as long as you got your work done.

Cons

Leadership was deadset on staying in charge. A young friend was in the process of getting a promotion and one of the VP's told him he might be "too young" to handle the job. Two years later he is excelling in the role. Not only is this a HUGE HR violation, this is not how to run a company. It is good to have new ideas, and important to promote younger people to give them an opportunity to prove themselves instead to stereotyping them based on age alone. That's TESSCO for you. Its an old Baltimore company that is set in its ways.

Advice to management is listen to the younger generation. You don't have to take all their advice, but at least invite them into the board rooms and pretend to not be so discriminating.

Horrible experience. Culture does not exist in this company. A rudderless ship. More of "Cult" than culture.

Former Employee - Person That Worked At Tessco in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Person That Worked At Tessco in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at TESSCO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

ore of "Cult" than culture. There is no innovation. Lacks vision and direction. Does not value people but rather treats them like pawns. They are running the entire business on DOS! If you like being micro-managed than this is the place for you. It's all about call volume and not quality. There is no innovation within this company. Everything is about metrics that are frankly dated and de-value relationships with customers. Be prepared to enter a land of confusion of this fake "tech firm".

Sell the business to Anixster or another distributor and close the doors. It is business as usual and the company is content riding this leaking boat to the bottom. If there is a Titanic in the industry today it is Tessco how fast it sinks is the real mystery.

Great Culture and People but Politics and Favoritism

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lutherville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lutherville, MD

I worked at TESSCO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly supervisors and team co-workers. Overall positive happy cultural environment. Staff does things for birthdays (ballon, card, food and lunch), Raven's Football and Holidays.

TESSCO does give out value share bonuses every year if the company does well. Get that extra check!

If you have a cool supervisor and have an important role then your annual evaluation review will be awesome.

You get a lot of vacation time and flexible schedule. From my experience, my supervisor was very understanding when I needed time off if I was sick or planning vacation. My supervisor was NOT micromanagement if I was running a few minutes late which was great.

Tuition reimbursement benefits. Get that Master's degree paid by TESSCO! If you are pursuing a Master's that relates to your job at TESSCO then the company will cover you.

I recommend this company for a young professional looking to build 2-3 years of experience on their resume. After that, move on if there are no other positions that interest you.

Cons

Your career won't really advance unless your boss or someone with executive powers favors you. It's all about WHO you know and how MUCH they LIKE you. Your skills and previous experience could be great but if your supervisor favors someone else there is nothing you can do really. My experience started out great but then went flat like a soda that is why this review is rated 3 stars. If I could rate 3.5, I would.

Some projects are given to a "favorite" on a high level exposure while other employees get small unnoticeable projects or they are ignored even though they have the skills and experience.

Also TESSCO invests in new hires but will sometimes drop employees that have been with the company 10 years or more. Within 2 weeks I saw 3 people get fired when the company wasn't doing well. One person was replaced by a fresh college grad that they can pay for less for doing the same thing.

Also I've seen the CEO promote people to VP level or hire a new VP above managers that have been there awhile because he likes them.

For annual evaluations, allow employees the opportunity to submit anonymous feedback to voice concerns to help monitor favoritism or unfair activity.

More diversity in executive roles. Where are the Black or Latino Vice Presidents? I've seen like one Asian and one Indian at an executive level.

Good Overll Experience

Current Employee - Sales in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Sales in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at TESSCO full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Solid benefits
    - Good training
    - Good atmoshere
    - Good people

Cons

- Career paths limited - a lot of equivelent roles ,but not a alot of upward roles/growth
    - Senior leadership drives all corporate goals and policies and they are not aware of the true challenges of the various markets we serve. Unrealistic ideas of how they think business should be executed.
    - High work volume/high pressure
    - Pay not terrible, but not great

- Create anonymous feedback system to obtain honest feedback on current processes and initiatives. You may get a lot of negative/unprofessional responses, but you may get some good insight into the reality of the market challenges.
    - Value the person above the numbers. Don't make changes based on numbers alone and on paper alone. Think about those affected, as though it were your own career, or your son or daughter's career that will be affected by the changes.
    - Develop a long-term plan that is reasonable. There seems to be a lot of rash changes and re-organizing based on a bad quarter or a bad year. All the changes only add to the instability and uncertainty of the teams. It almost becomes an insiders' mockery - "another change".

Great People, Horrible Politics!

Former Employee - Account Manager in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Reno, NV

I worked at TESSCO full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the client relationships I built and I really liked the people I worked with. Some of the Greatest people I have ever met.

Cons

MICRO MANAGEMENT!!! What they told me I could do in the hiring process was not AT ALL what I was able to do once on the job.

The longer you stay, the less you are valued

Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate in Timonium, MD
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Associate in Timonium, MD

I have been working at TESSCO full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great work culture
    Small company feel
    Strong work environment

Cons

Growing company but still operate like a Mom & Pop shop
    Influences & opinions of people are made by people that don't know who does what

They do everything they can to spin the archaic expectations

Good starter job, not great long term

Former Employee - Junior IT Analyst in Timonium, MD
    Former Employee - Junior IT Analyst in Timonium, MD

I worked at TESSCO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Schedule flexibility, friendly management, holidays off

Cons

Pay, work from home option taken from employees, little to no room for promotion or growth