TESSCO

TESSCO Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

TESSCO Chairman, President & CEO Robert "Barney" Barnhill Jr.

Robert "Barney" Barnhill Jr.

Great Culture and People but Politics and Favoritism

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lutherville, MD

ProsFriendly supervisors and team co-workers. Overall positive happy cultural environment. Staff does things for birthdays (ballon, card, food and lunch), Raven's Football and Holidays.

TESSCO does give out value share bonuses every year if the company does well. Get that extra check!

If you have a cool supervisor and have an important role then your annual evaluation review will be awesome.

You get a lot of vacation time and flexible schedule. From my experience, my supervisor was very understanding when I needed time off if I was sick or planning vacation. My supervisor was NOT micromanagement if I was running a few minutes late which was great.

Tuition reimbursement benefits. Get that Master's degree paid by TESSCO! If you are pursuing a Master's that relates to your job at TESSCO then the company will cover you.

I recommend this company for a young professional looking to build 2-3 years of experience on their resume. After that, move on if there are no other positions that interest you.

ConsYour career won't really advance unless your boss or someone with executive powers favors you. It's all about WHO you know and how MUCH they LIKE you. Your skills and previous experience could be great but if your supervisor favors someone else there is nothing you can do really. My experience started out great but then went flat like a soda that is why this review is rated 3 stars. If I could rate 3.5, I would.

Some projects are given to a "favorite" on a high level exposure while other employees get small unnoticeable projects or they are ignored even though they have the skills and experience.

Also TESSCO invests in new hires but will sometimes drop employees that have been with the company 10 years or more. Within 2 weeks I saw 3 people get fired when the company wasn't doing well. One person was replaced by a fresh college grad that they can pay for less for doing the same thing.

Also I've seen the CEO promote people to VP level or hire a new VP above managers that have been there awhile because he likes them.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor annual evaluations, allow employees the opportunity to submit anonymous feedback to voice concerns to help monitor favoritism or unfair activity.

More diversity in executive roles. Where are the Black or Latino Vice Presidents? I've seen like one Asian and one Indian at an executive level.

Extremely cliquey, first job out of college and was not a good experience for me.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Timonium, MD

ProsA lot of freedom. Made my own schedule. Saw my boss once a week. No accountability.

ConsFor most people 5 minutes a work everyday would be a dream job. I was bored out of my mind. Came up with new ideas / projects and was dismissed. Its very routine - some people love that kinda of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour time has come to teach the younger generation the operations of the company. One of the senior VP's told my colleague's he wasn't right for a promotion due to his age. Not only is that a huge HR violation, but that is the unfortunate mindset of the management within TESSCO. FYI he was given the chance and has been excelling in the role for over two years.

Good Overll Experience

Sales (Current Employee) Hunt Valley, MD

Pros- Solid benefits
    - Good training
    - Good atmoshere
    - Good people

Cons- Career paths limited - a lot of equivelent roles ,but not a alot of upward roles/growth
    - Senior leadership drives all corporate goals and policies and they are not aware of the true challenges of the various markets we serve. Unrealistic ideas of how they think business should be executed.
    - High work volume/high pressure
    - Pay not terrible, but not great

Advice to Senior Management- Create anonymous feedback system to obtain honest feedback on current processes and initiatives. You may get a lot of negative/unprofessional responses, but you may get some good insight into the reality of the market challenges.
    - Value the person above the numbers. Don't make changes based on numbers alone and on paper alone. Think about those affected, as though it were your own career, or your son or daughter's career that will be affected by the changes.
    - Develop a long-term plan that is reasonable. There seems to be a lot of rash changes and re-organizing based on a bad quarter or a bad year. All the changes only add to the instability and uncertainty of the teams. It almost becomes an insiders' mockery - "another change".

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great People, Horrible Politics!

Account Manager (Former Employee) Reno, NV

ProsI enjoyed the client relationships I built and I really liked the people I worked with. Some of the Greatest people I have ever met.

ConsMICRO MANAGEMENT!!! What they told me I could do in the hiring process was not AT ALL what I was able to do once on the job.

Good starter job, not great long term

Junior IT Analyst (Former Employee) Timonium, MD

ProsSchedule flexibility, friendly management, holidays off

ConsPay, work from home option taken from employees, little to no room for promotion or growth

A good company to work for.

Sales Support (Former Employee) Hunt Valley, MD

ProsTESSCO is a good company to work for. Good work life balance and benefits. TESSCO distributes the best named products in Wireless technology and is well known across the USA. Constantly marketing to keep the TESSCO name in front of customers.

ConsLimited opportunity for compensation growth. Disconnected and older technology systems.

The Culture

ProsGreat people. The culture is open door, but it depends upon who you work for which will define your success. Some departments work hard with little compensation while others just seem to do little to add value.

Consno clear goals. Everything is subject to change as the executives see fit. Depends who you work for. There is never clear goals sets for each department. The KPM's for one department may work counter to another. Each business unit should have clearly defined performance measures that jive with others.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the long view, walk the walk, don't just talk the talk.

The longer you stay, the less you are valued

Inside Sales Associate (Current Employee) Timonium, MD

ProsGreat work culture
    Small company feel
    Strong work environment

ConsGrowing company but still operate like a Mom & Pop shop
    Influences & opinions of people are made by people that don't know who does what

Advice to Senior ManagementThey do everything they can to spin the archaic expectations

The people are great to work with but its tough to grow within this company.

Sales Support (Former Employee) Cockeysville, MD

ProsThe people you work with are great
    Benefits are decent
    Ability to accrue time off monthly

Consnot much opportunity for growth
    pay could be higher for the work load demanded
    micro managing
    0 flexibility to work from home at a wireless tech company

Advice to Senior ManagementYou shouldn't have to write an essay explaining why you deserve a raise. Please reward people for the efforts. Growth seems more about who you know than what you have accomplished.

HOSTILE WORK ENVIRONMENT

Account Manager (Former Employee) Reno, NV

ProsBenefits. The Reno office is head up by a great VP, but he is the exception, not the rule. Good employees, what a shame they are treated so poorly.

ConsHorrible leadership is a complete understatement. Hostile, verbally abusive work environment. HR allows it! The CEO encourages it. Do not accept a position with TESSCO unless you are absolutely desperate.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect. Your employees are people, not robots. Human Resources needs to stop protecting and encouraging a hostile work environment; and yes, she does encourage it.

Worked for TESSCO? Contribute to the Community!