TFM Reviews

Reset
4.4
Michael Wagner

1. Fun time working here

Pros

Great company and a fun culture

Cons

Didn't have any bad experiences while present

Unprofessional

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at TFM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can make your own schedule and work at your own pace. Fun environment.

Cons

Completely unstructured company. Taking on to much at one time, cannot keep up, and stay organized. Manager has favorites and if you are not one, well then good luck. There is no direction for daily tasks and if they want their employees to stay with the company they need to change how they treat others. A lot of talking behind backs (unprofessional), and keeping others on board for the wrong reasons. I am currently looking for another position and I know others here are too.

Advice to Management

Listen to what employees say when they speak about an issue and If employees are not coming to you, then you should know something is wrong. There is always room for improvement in any company!

Great Company

I have been working at TFM full-time

Pros

This is an amazing and rewarding place to work. The owner of the company is extremely versed on the industry and is a very good teaching/trainer. Management is very supportive and they are always willing to help when there’s an issue. This company is very good to its employees, the best I’ve ever seen….we definitely feel appreciated.

Cons

Management does play favorites. It makes me feel "less then" or like an outcast. I've noticed a lot of "favorites" within the sales department. I wish everyone was treated the same.

Advice to Management

Talk with department managers to stop favoritism.

5. Challenging and Rewarding

Current Employee - Web Developer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at TFM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I came to TFM with zero industry experience, knowledge, nor even a basic understanding of how Less Than Truckload (LTL) fright works. To be sure, this has been my most challenging and rewarding position to date, and this industry is one of the most confusing and nuanced I've ever had the opportunity to work in. Getting up to speed is no walk in the park, however TFM was able to provide me with an elementary education in LTL in a very short period of time, getting me competent and knowledgeable about the industry. You really do need to be able to "hit the ground running" in this industry as well as willing to put in the time and effort to do the necessary independent research to educate yourself. Software Engineers understand this perhaps better than anyone in that our field is so fast-paced and dynamic that our education never stops and we need to constantly maintain our skill sets in order to stay relevant to the field. Unfortunately this sentiment is not often shared across the board for every field of expertise and it would seem many people are content to settle at "good enough." If you don't have an attitude and work ethic that drives you to want to be the best at what you do, you will struggle to succeed in this company; we are not entirely unique in this regard either. Others have mentioned TFM does not adequately train their team members, but I would have to disagree. I felt as though I had a mentor in senior management and was able to (and still am) meet with senior executives and management directly, as needed, when my industry knowledge, or lack thereof, became an impediment. Great lengths are taken to provide the team with the information we need to succeed. You do have to be willing to do your own research, but management and company executives, many of which have been hired directly from the freight companies we work with regularly, are always available to coach and mentor you to make sure you success. It is with their training, mentoring, and coaching, in addition to my own drive and passion for what I do an my desire to succeed and be the best at everything I do, that I've been able build an industry-leading Transportation Management System for this company. During my relatively short time here with TFM I've had the opportunity to solve many unique and challenging problems and have gained a vast and diverse range of experience across a variety of areas. TFM has also provided me with invaluable opportunities to grow as a professional, expanding my areas of expertise and allowing me to develop my resume significantly. This company is unique in that I'm trusted to make critical business decisions in my field, and allowed to breadth to manage myself efficiently without over-bearing management standing over my shoulder. I've been given this very unique opportunity where I am responsible for, and trusted to handle, the entirety of our Information Systems infrastructure and deployment without all the bureaucracy and micromanagement you would find in a more traditional company. TFM also offers a variety of "Perks" in addition to your standard benefits package. These include well-stocked kitchenettes with snacks and beverage. Birthday parties for our team with cake and card (we take our birthdays seriously, you could have cake 5 days a week some months, get your gym membership setup before applying!). Plenty of vacation time (maybe I'm weird, but I always have a ton of vacation days left over that I'm usually struggling to use by year's end). Really flexible management and executives will work with you pretty much without limitation to be make sure you can get to important appointments (and who hasn't struggled to schedule a doctors appointment, oil change, or getting your kids off the bus, to name a few, around a full-time job). Everyone has their own private office, which means a generally quiet atmosphere where you can get stuff done, as well as avoid exposure to illness (especially in the winter). We receive incredibly competitive 401k matching with very reasonable vesting periods. You'll enjoy, on average, a free catered meal ever week or two (Olive Garden, Doridos, home made Tacos (thanks PAM!), cheese platters (again, thanks PAM!), among others).

Cons

My only complaint would have to be this: No gourmet coffee bar. (Software people have a, perhaps unhealthy, relationship with coffee).

Advice to Management

Can we have a gourmet coffee bar?

Very Challenging Environment and Keeps your skills sharp!!!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at TFM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Treats Employees like Family. Stays with employees during difficult times. Everyone gets an office not a Cubicle. Free food almost every day. Very dynamic in adopting new stuff. No place for slackers

Cons

None. I haven't found any.

Advice to Management

Things are working great. Keep what you are doing.

The BEST small company you could ever get a chance to work for, ever!!

Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at TFM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Total compensation package with 401K and great benies. State of the art facility, equipment and talent level of staff is unequaled. Upper management leads by example as they roll up their sleves and man the fox hole with you! You truly have anything and everything necessary at your fingertips!

Cons

Everyone is not cut out for this profession. It is demanding, more than you've ever been challenged in your business career, yet FAIR! They role out the red carpet for you, however, you better perform or you are rolled up in it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, it is working. Daily interaction from top down is why we have won ALL the awards!!! KEEP IT UP AND DONT CHANGE FOR ANYONE!!

8. Great Company

Pros

Compensation/benefits. Great atmosphere. all the resources you need to succeed.

Cons

That i didnt come to TFM earlier in my career

Advice to Management

Management is great. All the resources you need to succeed. I've never worked for a company where you can make as much money as you want. Work/life balance is in your control. It's a family atmosphere.

9. Fantastic company and great place to work!!

Current Employee - Lgistics Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Lgistics Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at TFM full-time

Pros

TFM was voted "Pittsburgh's fastest growing company" for a reason. They pride themselves on personal interaction with each client. They are a progressive, award winning company that provides an awesome work environment that encourages their employees, is team-oriented and rewards hard work. The atmosphere is welcoming and supportive and management is approachable and open to creative ideas.

Cons

I can't think of any negatives about TFM!

Advice to Management

Please continue to motivate and encourage us.

10. Great Company and Leader in the Industry!!

Current Employee - BDE in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - BDE in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at TFM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a fast growing and changing company that is recognized as a leader in the 3pl industry. It is a fairly young company that been awarded several time both regionally as well as nationally for it's growth and ambition. There is an uncapped earning potential here.They pay 100% of your benefits and offer additional vacation days and quarterly bunuses. As a BDE you are expected to work hard and put a full day in but are treated well and rewarded for your time and effort. This is not an easy job but the benefits are there if you are able to punctually be responsible for yourself and actions. Work SMART and hard and take control of this career and treat it as you own. Learn the business and the rest will come. The management here has all been in this position and knows it inside and out. It is a small company so there is no formal training program however, you are not left on your own. They will train you in the field and support the success of your career. It is a fun a and enthusiastic environment to work in. I should have done this sooner.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up supporting your sales team. They are the growth and future of your company. Listen to them and their concerns. You are great!!!!

11. Bitterness comes from Laziness

I have been working at TFM full-time

Pros

As long as I have been employed by TFM, I have seen unmotivated employees weed themselves out of the picture. There are no shortages of opportunities to better yourself financially, but to do so, one must continually push to gain industry knowledge and put forth the effort to grow. I can assure anyone reading reviews on this site, that laziness is the common denominator for failure at TFM. The work environment is purposefully created in a laid back manner to allow employees to feel comfortable and stay focused on success. Any and all tools needed to succeed, whether financially or technologically, are provided in an effort to allow employees to remain focused solely on furthering their careers and growing their paychecks. The rules are simple, clear and are set forth in the initial interview...demand the best from yourself, use your resources to expand knowledge, and work a complete day. The reward...financial security and inclusion into a very tight-knit group who have your best interest in mind. By no means is this an easy ride where any and all succeeds; but I will say this: Every person who accepted the position assured management that they could preform the duties asked. Time has proven, in many cases, that the focus and work ethic needed to achieve their original goal could not be maintained.

Cons

The only con at TFM is that it is a reality check for those who think they can simply punch the clock and receive six figure earnings. For anyone who is truly exceptional and has discipline to maintain focus, please disregard this section.

Advice to Management

Please continue to expect the best out of those who help grow this phenomenal company and THANK YOU for the ability to do so.

RSS Feed </> Embed