THE NET-A-PORTER GROUP Reviews

97 reviews filtered by
2.8
THE NET-A-PORTER GROUP Founder Natalie Massenet
Natalie Massenet

Pros
  • Beautiful office interior - company sells beautiful clothes - buying top notch (in 8 reviews)

• Fantastic Offices, great people, friendly team (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor senior management direction, not got the right people in place (in 4 reviews)

• In short, hard work is not rewarded; promotions are largely based on favouritism (in 3 reviews)

1. Amazing company to work for!

Former Contractor - Customer Care Advisor in Mahwah, NJ
    Former Contractor - Customer Care Advisor in Mahwah, NJ

I worked at THE NET-A-PORTER GROUP as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I worked at the Net-A-Porter group for almost half a year and absolutely loved the support and enthusiasm I had with my team. It saddened me to leave, but I know it was a great stepping stone for me. I wish everyone at NAP great success.

Cons

Any job is challenging, but I can't think of a challenge that I was not able to overcome.

2. Amazing experience working here with talented and hard working people on beautiful product.

Current Employee - Retcoucher in Mahwah, NJ
    Current Employee - Retcoucher in Mahwah, NJ

I have been working at THE NET-A-PORTER GROUP

Pros

The management and co-workers in the studio are helpful and generous. Everyone gets along. The facilities are constantly upgraded and state of the art. They are expanding the studio extremely fast and are doing an amazing job at keeping everyone level headed and focused during this time.

Cons

If the location was closer to NYC I think it would be better but it isn't a huge issue.

Horrible job. look elsewhere.

I have been working at THE NET-A-PORTER GROUP

Pros

none really, very dis functional company.

Cons

You are made to feel less of a human being by management, therefore you start to monitor every single thing you do and action you take. Management are worse than any low end retail store management. CC department is the worst, they play out of favoritism more than usual at any other job you will find. New hires 4 months into the company get to decide weather some co-workers get fired or not which to me is very surprising about this job if that new hire is a manager's favorite. No benefits or discount for any temps that work there. Temps are used and abused till they're fired, they hire 30 to 40 new hires full time for your same position in the first week temps start, for every temp group. Company very dis functional, every so called "supervisor" you have will teach you a completely different way to do your job, then another will tell you that you did it wrong and fire you. Customer emails aren't even answered correctly from full time employees or even temps. Customers get the same email response about their order about 5 times in a row before someone actually tries to help them. Overall a huge dis function of a company in itself, they will fire you if you say hello and they didn't like the tone that was directed to them. Very cut throat because "supervisors" feel as if they are too over qualified for their jobs.

Advice to Management

Get rid of current management and find better ones.

5. Other employees are cool, they play a lot of favorites though.

Current Employee - Outbound Dispatch Assistant in Mahwah, NJ
    Current Employee - Outbound Dispatch Assistant in Mahwah, NJ

I have been working at THE NET-A-PORTER GROUP

Pros

Four days off is really nice. Other employees are fun to work with. Lots of extra activities are sponsored by the company, like an annual company party, softball and basketball teams, Christmas party, etc.

Cons

Having to work on weekends is really slow and mind numbing. The managers play a lot of favortism, especially between work areas. If you don't work in one area those managers will rat you out to higher management quickly.

great company

I have been working at THE NET-A-PORTER GROUP

Pros

great job, atmosphere, ability to move up in company, excellent training and great discount.

Cons

there are no cons for this company.

Advice to Management

none

Great place to work

I have been working at THE NET-A-PORTER GROUP

Pros

Great work environment overall
    Great benefits (health, dental, vision, life insurance, PTO days, gym access, etc.)

Cons

Technical problems with servers and whatnot. This is to be expected with any job that involved working with computers though, really.

Nightmare

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mahwah, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mahwah, NJ

I worked at THE NET-A-PORTER GROUP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful interior, some amazing people, discount

Cons

Management and hr is a joke. It once used to be a great place to work but after most original managers left and newbies took over, it became difficult to work here. From clueless hr, upper management and shipping manager. Way too many politics going on. A lot of great, hard working and wonderful people were let go for all the wrong reasons. Others became quickly promoted because they were friends with the manager and drive the manager to and from work. I really wish that Natalie Massanet would know all the dirt that goes on in her company to this day. Absolutely absurd! This used to be the best job Ive ever had and I looked forward to coming into work everyday until the recent shipping manager came in and ruined the department.

Advice to Management

All the talks our department had with you and hr was pointless. At the end, you guys didn't listen to our department at all and decided to keep her around dispite of the whole department being unhappy and misatable. I wish you will open your eyes and see the whole picture.

summer internship at net-a-porter shanghai

I have been working at THE NET-A-PORTER GROUP

Pros

small team, a startup acquired by Net-A-Porter

Cons

not promising, office politics, no enough budget for PR team

Turned into malevolent and vile multi- headed monster after the Richemont acquisition.

Former Employee - Senior Customer Care Advisor in Mahwah, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Care Advisor in Mahwah, NJ

I worked at THE NET-A-PORTER GROUP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Any "pros" that there were have long since been replaced by self-important, repugnant idiots.

Cons

Where do I begin...? Long story short, all the good people that made the US portion of the company such a wonderful place are all gone, very painfully fired or pushed out. A culture of hopelessness, fear and de-motivation prevails.

Advice to Management

It took years for the disconnected and delusional people in uppermost management to realize that key people they put into place years ago, just before and after the move to Mahwah were useless, evil imbeciles. During that time, these useless imbeciles very carefully took what was once a truly wonderful culture and piece by piece destroyed everything that was great about working there. This can be measured by countless lawsuits that have since been brought against the company for things like workplace harassment and bullying, that have since been settled, and the multitude of people that have felt the need to consult with lawyers while working there. The US market was built on the backs of good and loyal people that started with the company back when they first had their offices and operations in Long Island City. I was a part of that team and for 5 years took great pride in working hard, many times working late to ensure my responsibilities and the needs of my department were taken care of. Fast forward to the sale of NAP to Richemont where the aforementioned disconnected and delusional people in uppermost management became millionaires over night. They lost all perspective exactly what and who were largely responsible for helping make the company so successful. BLESS (internal company mantra/values) was lost and then quickly became hell as many people suffered in fear of loosing their jobs during and after the operations moving to Mahwah. I know a few people that prospered from this however, after suing for workplace harassment, which to this day I regret not doing. Everyone eventually has a turn there, being forcibly placed on a PIP (personal or professional improvement program) which is just a front for letting that person know "this is your 30 day warning" as they try to find points of development they really want to fire you on. All the while, fear of losing your job is constantly running in the back of your mind. A few of the evil people have since been dismissed, after costing the company thousands, if not millions, in law suits. It took too long and the devil wears prada culture of fear still exists there. People all smile in photos and videos, but take a closer look next time you see these, you can see the fear and despair in the background.... My advice to management is an impossible thing - find your hearts again. Put people in key positions that know how to foster a positive working environment again. You get the best out of people with kindness, not cruelty. Nobody has any hope for growth within the company unless someone high ranking really, really likes you. Honest, loyal and hardworking people are constantly passed over for opportunities, there is no motivation to do better. For the first time ever, your website recently crashed when you tried to launch the sale the day before Thanksgiving, 2014. Maybe this is NAP's warning, their PIP. The life-cycle of your brand is just over the half-way point, and everyone can see things are already going down hill. Get rid of the fear and despair you've instilled in your staff and perhaps they may still rise to exceed your expectations.

Glassdoor reviews on this company are your savior.

I worked at THE NET-A-PORTER GROUP full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Discounts on high fashion, pretty office, company events, and you'll come across genuinely nice people (rare!).

Cons

Lots of red tape: couldn't do anything without approval or request. God forbid you order a hot pink stapler, or have a different way of getting things done, and you'll have to obtain managerial approval. No structure within roles - everyone is reporting to five or six different people in London. Literally, how can any of you work with each other when your superior isn't there in the physical?

Very clique-y with lots of whispering and gossiping. Snootiness from entry- to mid-level employees and entitlement from senior management. Expect weekly meetings on improving your relationship with managers. Have never been with a company whose people need to "catch-up" with each other every day... my time there felt like an overly drawn-out therapy session for misfits. Worst kinds of people to work with are the ones who smile in your face and stab your back when you aren't looking. Be aware of everyone around you and everyone you speak to. Don't trust anyone!

Also some people's level of taste is laughable. Step it up, NAP Group!

Advice to Management

Forego your "catch-ups" and replace them with heavily needed spiritual guidance meetings. Natalie Massenet, take your money and abandon ship ASAP!

THE NET-A-PORTER GROUP Photos