THE NET-A-PORTER GROUP

Updated December 9, 2014
2.3

THE NET-A-PORTER GROUP Founder Natalie Massenet
Natalie Massenet

Pros
  • Beautiful office interior - company sells beautiful clothes - buying top notch (in 8 reviews)

• Fantastic Offices, great people, friendly team (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor senior management direction, not got the right people in place (in 4 reviews)

• In short, hard work is not rewarded; promotions are largely based on favouritism (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

summer internship at net-a-porter shanghai

I have been working at THE NET-A-PORTER GROUP

Pros

small team, a startup acquired by Net-A-Porter

Cons

not promising, office politics, no enough budget for PR team

Turned into malevolent and vile multi- headed monster after the Richemont acquisition.

Former Employee - Senior Customer Care Advisor in Mahwah, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Care Advisor in Mahwah, NJ

I worked at THE NET-A-PORTER GROUP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Any "pros" that there were have long since been replaced by self-important, repugnant idiots.

Cons

Where do I begin...? Long story short, all the good people that made the US portion of the company such a wonderful place are all gone, very painfully fired or pushed out. A culture of hopelessness, fear and de-motivation prevails.

It took years for the disconnected and delusional people in uppermost management to realize that key people they put into place years ago, just before and after the move to Mahwah were useless, evil imbeciles. During that time, these useless imbeciles very carefully took what was once a truly wonderful culture and piece by piece destroyed everything that was great about working there. This can be measured by countless lawsuits that have since been brought against the company for things like workplace harassment and bullying, that have since been settled, and the multitude of people that have felt the need to consult with lawyers while working there. The US market was built on the backs of good and loyal people that started with the company back when they first had their offices and operations in Long Island City. I was a part of that team and for 5 years took great pride in working hard, many times working late to ensure my responsibilities and the needs of my department were taken care of. Fast forward to the sale of NAP to Richemont where the aforementioned disconnected and delusional people in uppermost management became millionaires over night. They lost all perspective exactly what and who were largely responsible for helping make the company so successful. BLESS (internal company mantra/values) was lost and then quickly became hell as many people suffered in fear of loosing their jobs during and after the operations moving to Mahwah. I know a few people that prospered from this however, after suing for workplace harassment, which to this day I regret not doing. Everyone eventually has a turn there, being forcibly placed on a PIP (personal or professional improvement program) which is just a front for letting that person know "this is your 30 day warning" as they try to find points of development they really want to fire you on. All the while, fear of losing your job is constantly running in the back of your mind. A few of the evil people have since been dismissed, after costing the company thousands, if not millions, in law suits. It took too long and the devil wears prada culture of fear still exists there. People all smile in photos and videos, but take a closer look next time you see these, you can see the fear and despair in the background.... My advice to management is an impossible thing - find your hearts again. Put people in key positions that know how to foster a positive working environment again. You get the best out of people with kindness, not cruelty. Nobody has any hope for growth within the company unless someone high ranking really, really likes you. Honest, loyal and hardworking people are constantly passed over for opportunities, there is no motivation to do better. For the first time ever, your website recently crashed when you tried to launch the sale the day before Thanksgiving, 2014. Maybe this is NAP's warning, their PIP. The life-cycle of your brand is just over the half-way point, and everyone can see things are already going down hill. Get rid of the fear and despair you've instilled in your staff and perhaps they may still rise to exceed your expectations.

Glassdoor reviews on this company are your savior.

I worked at THE NET-A-PORTER GROUP full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discounts on high fashion, pretty office, company events, and you'll come across genuinely nice people (rare!).

Cons

Lots of red tape: couldn't do anything without approval or request. God forbid you order a hot pink stapler, or have a different way of getting things done, and you'll have to obtain managerial approval. No structure within roles - everyone is reporting to five or six different people in London. Literally, how can any of you work with each other when your superior isn't there in the physical?

Very clique-y with lots of whispering and gossiping. Snootiness from entry- to mid-level employees and entitlement from senior management. Expect weekly meetings on improving your relationship with managers. Have never been with a company whose people need to "catch-up" with each other every day... my time there felt like an overly drawn-out therapy session for misfits. Worst kinds of people to work with are the ones who smile in your face and stab your back when you aren't looking. Be aware of everyone around you and everyone you speak to. Don't trust anyone!

Also some people's level of taste is laughable. Step it up, NAP Group!

Forego your "catch-ups" and replace them with heavily needed spiritual guidance meetings. Natalie Massenet, take your money and abandon ship ASAP!

Was fantastic when in start-up mode, went downhill fast

I worked at THE NET-A-PORTER GROUP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Natalie is a really inspirational leader, as are many of the most senior managers. When the company was small, it was a really positive place and you could make an impact.

Cons

This place is politics, politics, politics 24/7. By the time I left, more than 70% of my working day was consumed by "managing my relationship with my manager." Promotions are given based on relationships outside of work (sexual or otherwise). Great employees are there one day and managed out the next with no rhyme or reason. Speak up and you're next on the chopping block.

Want a culture based on fear? That's NAP in a nutshell.

Institute a zero politics regime. Get rid of middle managers based on turnover and speak with their direct reports. Sack almost everyone in HR.

Not as great as the hype makes everyone believe

I have been working at THE NET-A-PORTER GROUP full-time

Pros

Beautiful offices, discounts, great parties

Cons

As many here said before me, HR and management are this company's main issue. There is very little training, the company is hellbent on saving money, primarily on their employees. Wages are below average and I have never before seen so many innovators and opinion leaders within their areas leave within such a short period of time. Bad people management from the warehouse to the head office, many, many are unhappy or frustrated. The company as a whole also thinks very highly of itself

Great place to get experience, but got more out of it when it was new to the US market

Former Employee - Personal Shopper in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Personal Shopper in New York, NY

I worked at THE NET-A-PORTER GROUP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great name, varied industries, small teams, beautiful office, good benefits, excellent product, good training, great resources. I learned a lot working there, but also was apart of the team when the US office just opened. Now that the company is owned by Richemont and is increasingly corporate, I found my satisfaction was waining.

Cons

Difficult to move up in the NYC office. The US teams are often overlooked and not fully supported. Some management is stale and should be examined.

Listening to the teams, and not just glossing over the attempt, needs to happen more.

Don't Even Look Here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mahwah, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mahwah, NJ

I worked at THE NET-A-PORTER GROUP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have no idea what to say, other than that most of the employees are cool. It's a very communal environment because of it.

Cons

Terrible management.
    Changes are announced right before they take place and don't consider the opposition of the workers.
    HR dept aren't caring about workers' conditions.
    An environment where many fear to express their opinions, even when it's asked for.
    Very cheap with raises and bonuses, if they even have those now. Last I remember, the bonuses were being debated on.
    Healthcare choices barely cover your necessities.
    Barely any room for growth. Most people work the same position for years upon years.

Read these cons that people have posted and improve the conditions for the workers if you want your workers to create the best possible work that they can.

no family leave policy

I worked at THE NET-A-PORTER GROUP

Pros

staff discount, nice office, staff discount

Cons

Just a personal story of working here that I wanted to share, but when my mother became terminally ill and I needed to go home to care for her, I was given only 2 weeks of unpaid leave. There were no other options, (and my job was one that could have easily been filled by a freelancer) so I was forced to resign. It's rather abhorrent. I have worked for many other companies and I'm quite sure that none of them would be so unsympathetic. This company is only interested in the bottom line.

Good experience

Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Mahwah, NJ
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Mahwah, NJ

I have been working at THE NET-A-PORTER GROUP full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Co workers are friendly and there's a decent gym

Cons

30hr pay and working nights

Communication

Company as a whole is okay, they have some bad apples in upper mgmt. that makes it rough to work there.

I worked at THE NET-A-PORTER GROUP

Pros

work place was nice. state of the art warehouse, shift managers were great especially the overnight managers. Too bad they let the nicest one go.

Cons

hours were rough. Ops Mgr. has no personality and is always in his office, he's a penny pincher. Warehouse mgr. is just a thug with no schooling and looking at everyone like they are a thief. HR needs to work on bridging the gap between mgmt. and employee's.

Get more involved with what's going on in the warehouse. Do your homework on your so called warehouse mgr. Not everyone needs to be written up. You have good people working there however you will continue to loose them if you don't improve relationships with them.

THE NET-A-PORTER GROUP Photos