THG (The Hotel Group) Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Robert Avila

1. Enjoy working for this Company.

I have been working at THG (The Hotel Group)

Pros

Company is growing and there are many opportunities for advancement. Hard work is noticed. THG promotes within and many of the employees have been with the company 5+ years.

Cons

Nothing I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I am excited to be a part of this company.

Worst Job I've Ever Had

Former Employee - Support Staff, Corporate Office in Edmonds, WA
    Former Employee - Support Staff, Corporate Office in Edmonds, WA

I worked at THG (The Hotel Group) full-time

Pros

The pay is above par. Not worth it for what they make you do... The CEO/President is a great man, great leader

Cons

This company talks a big game about work life balance and the importance of family, but in no way do they practice what they preach. While the company's veterans could maintain the hours of their choosing, the underlings faced ZERO PTO (this is at the corporate level), 11 hour work days (10 or less was a rarity), and micro-"managers" with no respect to individual workflow or work styles

Advice to Management

Don't lie to your prospects during the interview process, and try to see things through the eyes of the new employee

Does not value employees

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent

I have been working at THG (The Hotel Group)

Pros

As a manager or salaried employee you get great pay, paid time off, paid lunch breaks, and the ability to pass off your work to those beneath you with no questions asked.

Cons

Does not provide adequate pay. Does not appreciate or inspire employees. High expectations. Low results.

Advice to Management

Does THG realize that without a front desk staff, one would have a very difficult time operating and running a hotel? The front desk agents are the heart and sole of any hotel. They take care of the guests, resolve problems stemming from any and every department, problem solve on a daily basis, and create innovative ways to help improve the hotel's image. Maybe THG should consider treating their Front Desk agents with more respect and acknowledgment. Perhaps they should pay a little bit more than minimum wage, especially since front desk agents are the ones who keep guests happy!!! If the guests are not happy they will not come back. If there is a problem with housekeeping, sales, accounting, or a restaurant, the front desk agents are the ones who are required and expected to resolve the issues no questions asked, and without hesitation. So while front desk agents are responsible of taking care of all these other departments problems, completing their own duties and others, they are paid the least. The Hotel Group does not believe in paying front desk agents anything more than minimum wage. It really is quite sad and uninspiring. Other management companies pay well over $15 an hour for the work that front desk agents do.

THG (The Hotel Group) Response

Jan 26, 2015 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review. If you would like to discuss further please contact our Director of HR, Isabel Dreher, at idreher@thehotelgroup.com.

5. Caring supervisors and higher-ups; low work load.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Edmonds, WA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Edmonds, WA

I worked at THG (The Hotel Group) part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good quality office environment and co-workers who know how to work efficiently while still fitting in time to get to know each other a little. Supervisors and corporate higher-ups take the time to stop by your desk for a chat when you're new, which made me feel respected and appreciated. Competitive pay and a friendly environment.

Cons

Work load was very low and not challenging - I was bored often. I need a faster-paced environment to stay interested and happy in the workplace.

6. Awesome company full of opportunities

Current Employee - Manager-In-Training in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Manager-In-Training in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at THG (The Hotel Group) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A company that truly believes in the growth of their employees success as much as their company’s success. I started working for a THG managed hotel as a college job and realized that I had come across an amazing management team who took the time to acknowledge every employee, made sure that all voices were heard, and gave us the necessary resources to succeed in our work. THG is very involved with all of their properties, which is how I became familiar with members of their corporate team, and so when I voiced my interest in staying with the company after graduation, they provided me with the opportunity of applying for their new management training program. As excited as I was, I questioned relocating states; THG provided me with a flight to the hotel that I would be working at, where I was able to meet yet another member of the corporate team to mentor me through the program and answer all of my questions. I’ve never worked for another company that shows so much dedication to their employees. I've had the opportunity to train in all departments within a hotel and currently I'm training in the sales department which is such a rewarding experience. I know I made the right decision by sticking with THG. I owe my success to them.

Cons

I'm just waiting for a THG property to open up in Hawaii or maybe Costa Rica that I can go manage...

7. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Director of Human Resources in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Director of Human Resources in South Bend, IN

I have been working at THG (The Hotel Group) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The Hotel Group is a great company to work for. They are honest, caring, fun, upfront, and truly operate based on their mission and vision. I have had the opportunity to work on several transitions, task force teams, and special projects at most of the hotels in the THG portfolio. There are lots of opportunities for advancement and I have had the best experience being able to work at 3 of their properties, each time gaining new skills and moving ahead in my career. This is very motivating and ties into the culture of providing personal and professional growth opportunities for our associates. I have been with the company almost 8 years and look forward to working for them for many years to come.

Cons

No real cons that I have experienced. Certain opportunites do require relocation. If you are someone unable to relocate, this could be a challenge for you. However, lots of opportunites are still available.

Advice to Management

Just continue to keep us one of the top companies in the Hospitality industry.

8. Keeping it Real

Current Employee - General Manager in Richland, WA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Richland, WA

I have been working at THG (The Hotel Group) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The one thing that is constant in business is change. THG embraces change. They are never stagnant or satisfied with status quo. This is what I love about working for THG. THG challenges the simple things and they are not afraid to question the obvious. You will never hear "That is how we always do it!" Working is exciting and fun when you work for THG.

Cons

Being a new employee can be a little daunting due to the high energy and pace of THG. Hang in there, use your "smarts", and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Advice to Management

There are several fast talking Tennessee employees in upper management. Sometimes it is hard for some of us from the Pacific Northwest to understand what you are saying. Talk slower. :)

Favoritism, Nepatism & Liars

I worked at THG (The Hotel Group) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has been stable and growing consistently.

Cons

Because their are no real HR guidelines to their coporate standard, they prefer to employ only friends, family members and spouses. They run their corporation like a Soap Opera... I would be embarassed to own/operate this company with what is really going on.

Advice to Management

Instead of looking at middle management, take a step back and ask what your Executives are really doing.

Not worth the heartache.

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager

I worked at THG (The Hotel Group)

Pros

Good benefits package. 100% employer paid.

Cons

Senior management is not interested in hearing what they don't want to hear. Looking for justification to continue operating as they want to, without regard to any other way or approach.

Advice to Management

Provide clearer reporting lines.

RSS Feed </> Embed