THINK Together

www.thinktogether.org

THINK Together Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Randy Barth

Pros
  • The organization is truly making a difference in the lives of the students in the communities they serve(in 7 reviews)

• Great learning experience while working with kids(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • My program leaders and are very frustrated by the watch dog QAC(in 15 reviews)

• Change program operations rules constantly without input from Site Coordinators(in 13 reviews)

My THINK Together experience has been GREAT so far and I'm proud to be apart of the team!!

Program Leader (Current Employee) Moreno Valley, CA

ProsSome of the best things working here is that you have an interaction with kids and you get to be apart and contribute to their journey through education.

ConsSome of the cons of working here is that you don't get to spend alot of time helping the children.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper Management is GREAT, their always there you need them

Great Learning Experience

Sub PL (Current Employee) Santa Ana, CA

ProsI think working here you will get alot of experience with many different things. For example, working for THINK Together you get experience not only managing a class room but also how to manage time well.

ConsYou definitely need to be patient. This job is and can be difficult, especially for a sub. As a sub you have to build relationships in a very short amount of time, and alot of the time children take advantage that you are a sub.

Ridiculous

Lead Program Leader (Current Employee)

ProsThe children obviously, mentoring youth and seeing them grow. Children looking up to you, coming to you for advice and being a positive role model for them.

ConsYou have to actually love students in order to put up with this company.
    I started as a volunteer and got hired part time two months later into a problem school (meaning low attendance to the program) I tried very hard to get students to come to class, collaborating with my Site Coordinator about school events and promote the program, no one else at that site tried as hard as I did. The year after that I applied for site coordinator training and I got accepted. When I asked one on one with the trainer about how I can personally improve to become a better employee she said she didn't understand why I was being trained to become a SC because I would never be one. According to her, my supervisor and I were too close (we were friends) and she didnt like my supervisor so that meant I wouldn't get the promotion. Shortly after that I was demoted by force to a substitute program leader and removed from the site that i really loved. I decided to look for another job and then I got a letter in the mail saying I was fired because I missed opportunities of being a substitute. I didn't know I could get fired, I wasnt trained as a susbstitute and I just lost my job of two years basically in the blink of an eye.

The company DOES MAKE YOU WORK OFF THE CLOCK AND BUY SUPPLIES FOR THE PROGRAM OUT OF POCKET. They can deny it all they want, the fact is that sometimes during events I would work 11 hours straight and it would get reduced to six hours and unpaid lunch break...which I never took.

The workload is tremendous and they don't offer proper training. New employees are thrown in and they literally either sink or swim. In my two years I saw many new employees leave.

Favoritism is a thing, and it sucks because people who are actually passionate and involved in education dont get the opportunities they deserve. Right before I left my supervisor told me that in this company you don't get promoted or appreciated unless you already know someone from high up.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to this company is a waste, because they'll always deny any wrong doing and continue to be a crappy company.

They probably know who I am but I really don't care.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stepping Stone

(Current Employee) Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

ProsEven as a business major I have found THINK Together to be a stepping stone for future jobs. The Site Coordinator position is great because you are learning management skills while still making a difference in the lives of the children in program.

ConsMust have patience. Sometimes the students, parents, and staff can be difficult to handle. No day is the same.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople on the field think they don't have growth opportunities within THINK Together. We do building the bench trainings for Program Leaders that want to become Site Coordinators, and for Site Coordinators that want to become Quality Assurance Coaches, but it would be great to expand upon that. A lot of people that work on the field are not going to school to work with children. It would be great if they were able to talk to some of the employees from Home Office to find out what they do, and how they would be able to obtain a position like theirs.

Poor organization and thought processes going on at the top level.

Site Coordinator (Current Employee) San Bernardino, CA

ProsThe kids are great. I've landed a supportive site so my pros all relate to the school I'm located at and not Think Together.

ConsFor the second time this year, payday fell on a Sunday and I didn't get paid until Monday. Illegal. They pay a salary to work 9a-6p but the program ends at 6p which means kids aren't picked up until then. Often parents are late which bumps that time even further and by the time cleaning is done, it's often 7 before I'm off. They expect me to create a month long program on a very tiny budget of about $2 per child in my program. $2 power month! They are trapped in the last century when it comes to paperwork. I have to make so many trips to the hub to drop off forms that could easily be emailed.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a better payroll department. Change working hours to accommodate late parents, cleaning, etc. (Especially since we're being switched to hourly now to "save money" even though legally you're going to spend more money because overtime is going to get very expensive. Increase the monthly budget if you want our programs to flourish. Stop holding pointless meetings that take up prep time when you can just as easily send an email.

Great place to work

Prosit has a great work environment and a lot of opportunity to learn

Conssometimes the kids get a little crazy but they are overall fun

Advice to Senior Managementyou are doing great

Good Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI've polished my leadership skill

ConsNot enough hours for part time employees

Employees Expected To Use Own Money

Site Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsOne thing I really love about THINK Together is the amount of money spent on team/regional meetings. I love that no expense is spared when it comes to partying!

ConsQuestion: It's great that THINK Together offers sports for the kids How do the team jerseys/uniforms stay clean?

Answer: THINK Together asks Site Coordinators to take laundry home and bring it back clean. If a site coordinator does not have access to free laundry from mom or dad, they can go to a laundry mat and pay to have it washed.

Question: That seems unfair to ask your employees to pay for laundry services. Are there any alternatives?

Answer: Yes, Site Coordinators can ask their Program Leaders to take the laundry home and bring it back for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is very instant that Program Leaders shouldn't pay for anything with their own money. But solutions are few and far between when it comes to site coordinator paying for things.

THINK Together HR Coordinator responded to this review

Jun 23, 2014

Thank you for your review. THINK Together does not encourage any employee to use their own personal resources for program needs or materials. We urge you to discuss this concern with your Regional ... More

Need to work off the clock

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with kids is amazing. They are so talented and unique in their own way, it's hard not to care for them as if they were family. Fun to plan events for the kids. Sometimes it didn't feel like work. Got to attend school shows/ dances for free.

ConsLittle work hours. Not given enough time to plan lessons, write out lesson plans . Had to do it on my own time to have successful programs. Small budget for program. I had to spend from my own money a lot of times ! Little to No support from coordinators. Lots of gossip between staff. Drama with school staff . High expectations with little direction, little training, little budget, and minimal hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff. Don't take complaints personal . And don't be so tight with the budget at the end it's always "we have to spend it" why wait until the end?

Your experience varies depending on the school that you are assigned to

After School Program Leader (Former Employee) Tustin, CA

ProsGreat learning experience while working with kids.
    You gain some knowledge about classroom management and doing lessons.
    I had a GREAT site coordinator and she really made all the difference for me, my coworkers, and the students.
    My coworkers were such great people who really cared about our students.

ConsLack of training. They have you come in for training but it's just them teaching you how to fill out the attendance sheets and not how to work with the students or classroom management. They basically throw you into a school and hope that you land on your feet and start running.
    Your experience depends on where you are placed. If you are placed at a good school with a great site coordinator, you will have wonderful students and parents. If not, it will be very hard to come to work because things can be very disorganized and disheartening.
    High turnover rate with staff.
    Towards the end of the year, my school had to start condensing classes near the end of the day which meant combining smaller classes and forcing program leaders to leave earlier. This meant that you were working and being paid less and less every week. This was not only burdensome to the program leaders but especially to the kids because it interrupted their time with their leaders and they were forced to be uprooted and moved to a different class.

Worked for THINK Together? Contribute to the Community!