THINK Together

Updated September 21, 2014
Updated September 21, 2014
2.7

Randy Barth

Pros
  • The organization is truly making a difference in the lives of the students in the communities they serve (in 8 reviews)

• Great learning experience while working with kids (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • My program leaders and are very frustrated by the watch dog QAC (in 17 reviews)

• Change program operations rules constantly without input from Site Coordinators (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Mission Driven Company

I have been working at THINK Together

Pros

The company values hard working and dedicated employees. The best part is serving the kids and their families.

Cons

There is not enough time each day to do all that we want to do to help kids.

Keep up the good work.

Great First Job

I have been working at THINK Together part-time

Pros

Good Pay, Decent Hours,

Cons

No paid Holidays for Part Time

Good Idea, Bad Implementation

Current Employee - Program Leader  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Program Leader in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at THINK Together part-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the kids are wonderful and you walk away feeling like you've made a difference in their lives. Sometimes the only place they can be kids is after school and Think provides that for them. The staff at my site are also great and very accepting of questions.

Cons

Where do I start? The lack of organization makes it so that Program Leaders are just thrust into the classroom without guidance or support. I did not properly know how to manage my classroom and things got out of hand fast. Also because Think dissuades leaders from properly punishing chlidren (ie. sending them to the office, making them sit out of physical activity, etc.) the kids take advantage of this and get out of hand. What's the use of having "academic enrichment" when they've already been sitting in the classroom for seven hours?? Let them run around, draw, talk to their friends and just be kids. This could be a great opportunity for kids if only implemented correctly.

My SC was nice but very aloof and unhelpful in some circumstances. I felt that having over 20 kids in the classroom (state limit is 20:1 ratio, how are they getting away with this?) was too overwhelming at times and that I needed less kids so that they could enjoy themselves. Really? 24 kids in a class? Come one, you can do better Think.

Allow for incoming PL's to shadow and observe a classroom BEFORE they get their own. All that training in the beginning amounted to nothing because it's the practice that counts, NOT the fluffy stuff at training. You are not paid enough as PL's to handle this, please consider paying more or allowing more hours.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

What a disaster!

Current Employee - Site Coordinator  in  West Covina, CA
    Current Employee - Site Coordinator in West Covina, CA

I have been working at THINK Together full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get to work with children in a school setting. The teachers and staff can make your job more enjoyable.

Cons

Miscommunication is the worse in this computer. There were sudden changes made and employees were not taken into account.

High turnover of staff, more specifically, program leaders. Management don't really do their job to assist others in times of need. HR always, I mean always sweeps things under the rug. I'm surprised some of the people working in the office are still there. No other company would allow supervisors to have friendships with their Site Coordinator! Or having the QAC asking their SC's to do shopping or lunch with her. There's a lot of trash talking via email between QAC's and SC's. What's the role of a QAC??? At least the one we have does nothing, but delegates responsibilities to her SC's. How can we do it all if our hours just got cut!

At the end, you can't share your opinion without being labeled as the "complainer". No one takes your concerns or opinions. GM is new and we hope he can finally do something about this favoritism that does occur among QAC's and their SC's.

Please check with your SC's, you'll be surprised what type of things are going on. Make sure your QAC is where she said she is. There's not enough support out there. Dropping off materials is not considered a site visit people! Please give your employees the raise they need.

Stressed out Site Coordinator in San Bernardino!

Current Employee - Site Coordinator  in  San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Site Coordinator in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at THINK Together full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the relationships you build with your coworkers, getting a chance to change students lives and make a difference, resume builder, GM Fernando truly cares about his people!

Cons

Where do I start....? Yes it is so bad working for THINK Together. So I have been with THINK Together for over 4 years and have been a Program Leader and Site Coordinator. Here are my concerns.
    1) QAC's spend way too much time micromanaging SC's and creating colorful little checklist to keep track of everything under the stars in moon instead of coming out to support with sites who are down staff or need support. (Glad someone still have time to create those types of things since your guys pay and status was unaffected.)
    2) The expectation is to keep ADA good and have at least 100 students enrolled however can not provide you with staff to support those numbers. Which cause student to adult ratio to be 35:1 instead of what the state says we should be at which is 20:1. My concern with this would of course be safety. If PLs have too many students this makes us more likely to have accidents. When SCs take a class to help with ratio we can't assist with accidents, answer phones, speak with parents , assist with behavior or check absent list to be sure that everyone is where they should be. QAC's are spread too thin.
    3) SC's were taken off of salary and placed on hourly to "save money" this was not presented as a option and was kind of just forced on us without THINKing about how stressful this would be for the Site Coordinators and their workload. Our job descriptions have NOT changed all they have done was added more to our plates. They simply just changed the wording.
    4) SC hours have went from 8 hours to 7.5 hours to agin "save money" they have made it to where we get no overtime. We are still required to do the same workload with less hours! Wth oh and they are promising that we keep benefits but we can't trust them. Come next year when open enrollment comes they will drop the bomb on use that they want to "save money" by not offering benefits! All of this sound illegal .
    5) When voicing your concerns you are deemed as weak and a complaint that can not handle your job. No it is not that! We are just overworked, unappreciated and overwhelmed. I so stressed that I need to seek professional help to keep me level headed until I am able to quit and move on with my life.
    * I would not want this program at my site if I were the principal and fully understood the true colors of the company .

1) Review sc job description and make it fit with the hours that you are giving us currently and take in consideration early start schools.
    2) Send HUB staff out to site who are under staffed with high student numbers. We should be working TOGETHER right?!
    3) Train Program Leaders more than once a yr... Oh wait we do that now too!
    4) STOP CHANGING POLICIES! It make it hard for the front line staff, parents and stakeholders to keep up! Goodness. 5:50 policy, OSR, moving things on the attendance sheet every year, SC hours, SC pay etc.

Best1

I have been working at THINK Together

Pros

Great environment! You must enjoy working with kids to do this job.

Cons

Can be a bit overwhelming especially when staff is short.

Great Experience

Current Employee - Program Leader  in  Azusa, CA
    Current Employee - Program Leader in Azusa, CA

I have been working at THINK Together full-time for less than a year

Pros

You gain experience if you really are thinking about becoming a teacher. Also most of your co workers are pretty young and outgoing.

Cons

Parents. Some parents can be very protective about their children and won't be fair.

Good Company

I have been working at THINK Together part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility, growth opportunities, staff, great learning experience

Cons

Low pay, a lot of work for pay, Lay off because region is closing

Treat all regions equally.

Very unprofessional and frustrating company. Would not recommend!

Current Employee - Program Leader  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Program Leader in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at THINK Together part-time for less than a year

Pros

This job will give you some teaching experience. If you are a student, there is time to take classes in the morning.

Cons

I have been working for Think Together for a little less than a year and it is one of the worst jobs I've had. As a program leader, I only spend about 4 hours a day with students and it causes me so much stress it's unbelievable.

Think Together expects program leaders to lead as if they are experienced teachers but I'm not a teacher! If they want more experienced staff who do a better job, offer higher wages. The company gives basically NO TRAINING! And no, sitting in front of a power point is not effective. I got around an hour or two to observe an experienced program leader and then they just threw me into a classroom with 25 kids. A lot of the kids I've worked with have severe behavior problems as well and it's impossible to discipline them effectively when I need to manage the entire class at the same time. Many of the parents come late even though program ends at 6! Because a lot of the schools are in lower socioeconomic areas many students and parents just DON'T CARE about ANYTHING.

A lot of their policies are very unrealistic. They want you to use "homework signals." Well what happens when half the class can't do their homework? If I spend 2 minutes with each student do they expect the last one I get to to wait 20 minutes for my help? And no, working with a partner is not effective when none of them know what the heck is going on with their homework. Send us a volunteer or aid or give us a smaller group of students. Line of sight is also unrealistic and site coordinators will write you up for the smallest things if they want to get rid of you. Intuitively I knew exactly what was going on when I was placed at a site I wasn't an energetic fit for.

If you need extra help with your job they will push you out to become a substitute without any explanation. So basically you wait around all morning and waste your day in case you "might" be called, which can be as little as an hour before program begins. When this happened to me no one sat down with me and told me what was going on or why or how being a substitute works. Apparently they just expected me to know? I was completely out of the loop and wondered if I still had a job. I feel as though this is very poor communication on behalf of my supervisors.

One of my site coordinators was extremely unprofessional. I showed up for work one day and she told me a new program leader was coming to take my place THAT SAME DAY. I had no warning ahead of time from her or HR or a sub coordinator. I wish they had a replacement for me arranged before I arrived at work. My site coordinator began training her in front me of me and my class. I was humiliated when my students asked me why I was leaving in front of staff and other students and I didn't know what to say. That day I left frustrated and it tears. During a future training that same site coordinator was talking bad about other program leaders to another site coordinator which I found very disrespectful and rude.

I stayed with the company and got placed at another site and it's just as bad as all of the other ones I've been at. As a college graduate I am waiting for the opportunity for another job to show up so I can quit. There is a very high turnover rate because anyone who can see what is really going on would not put up with it. Students have told me numerous times about all of the other program leaders they have had who came and left and they "don't know why."

Let new program leaders spend a few days in a classroom with an experienced program leader so that they have a model and know what to expect.

Hire more employees so that the ratio of staff to student stays under 20:1.

For the amount of work required, consider giving program leaders a pay raise.

Get it Together THINK!

Former Employee - Program Leader  in  Azusa, CA
    Former Employee - Program Leader in Azusa, CA

I worked at THINK Together part-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with most students, teachers and staff was often fun and fulfilling. Personal growth and learning to be flexible was a plus. Friendly coworkers and generous coordinators. Field trips were always offered with pay. Off-site meeting were paid and lunch was often provided.

Cons

Low pay, high turnover rate, hours were constantly changed or cut to save money. People are hired and promoted based on knowing someone within THINK. Having to deal with school politics and uncooperative administrators and teachers at times. The burden of student retention was placed on the staff and classes were cancelled without warning. Staff meetings and trainings were basically time fillers with no real staff development. Lesson plans were required but rarely used. Evaluations were a joke and staff members were often told to lie. Supervisors were constantly saving face with upper management and issues were constantly swept under the rug no matter how severe.

Train your supervisors and staff instead of constantly changing policies and procedures. Pay your staff the hours they are promised. Promoting from within is not always a good idea. Work more closely with schools.

Worked for THINK Together? Contribute to the Community!