THINK Together

Updated October 29, 2014
Updated October 29, 2014
2.7

Randy Barth

Pros
  • The organization is truly making a difference in the lives of the students in the communities they serve (in 9 reviews)

• Great learning experience while working with kids (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Think Together expects program leaders to lead as if they are experienced teachers but I'm not a teacher (in 23 reviews)

• Change program operations rules constantly without input from Site Coordinators (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

What a disaster!

Current Employee - Site Coordinator in West Covina, CA
    Current Employee - Site Coordinator in West Covina, CA

I have been working at THINK Together full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work with children in a school setting. The teachers and staff can make your job more enjoyable.

Cons

Miscommunication is the worse in this computer. There were sudden changes made and employees were not taken into account.

High turnover of staff, more specifically, program leaders. Management don't really do their job to assist others in times of need. HR always, I mean always sweeps things under the rug. I'm surprised some of the people working in the office are still there. No other company would allow supervisors to have friendships with their Site Coordinator! Or having the QAC asking their SC's to do shopping or lunch with her. There's a lot of trash talking via email between QAC's and SC's. What's the role of a QAC??? At least the one we have does nothing, but delegates responsibilities to her SC's. How can we do it all if our hours just got cut!

At the end, you can't share your opinion without being labeled as the "complainer". No one takes your concerns or opinions. GM is new and we hope he can finally do something about this favoritism that does occur among QAC's and their SC's.

Please check with your SC's, you'll be surprised what type of things are going on. Make sure your QAC is where she said she is. There's not enough support out there. Dropping off materials is not considered a site visit people! Please give your employees the raise they need.

Get it Together THINK!

Former Employee - Program Leader in Azusa, CA
    Former Employee - Program Leader in Azusa, CA

I worked at THINK Together part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with most students, teachers and staff was often fun and fulfilling. Personal growth and learning to be flexible was a plus. Friendly coworkers and generous coordinators. Field trips were always offered with pay. Off-site meeting were paid and lunch was often provided.

Cons

Low pay, high turnover rate, hours were constantly changed or cut to save money. People are hired and promoted based on knowing someone within THINK. Having to deal with school politics and uncooperative administrators and teachers at times. The burden of student retention was placed on the staff and classes were cancelled without warning. Staff meetings and trainings were basically time fillers with no real staff development. Lesson plans were required but rarely used. Evaluations were a joke and staff members were often told to lie. Supervisors were constantly saving face with upper management and issues were constantly swept under the rug no matter how severe.

Train your supervisors and staff instead of constantly changing policies and procedures. Pay your staff the hours they are promised. Promoting from within is not always a good idea. Work more closely with schools.

Good Company

I have been working at THINK Together part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexibility, growth opportunities, staff, great learning experience

Cons

Low pay, a lot of work for pay, Lay off because region is closing

Treat all regions equally.

My THINK Together experience has been GREAT so far and I'm proud to be apart of the team!!

Current Employee - Program Leader in Moreno Valley, CA

I have been working at THINK Together part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some of the best things working here is that you have an interaction with kids and you get to be apart and contribute to their journey through education.

Cons

Some of the cons of working here is that you don't get to spend alot of time helping the children.

Upper Management is GREAT, their always there you need them

Love working with the kids, but the company is terrible

I have been working at THINK Together part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The children. They are what keeps me with the program seeing hope and love in these little ones keeps me striving to finish my college education.

Cons

We don't make enough for all that is expected. Rules and expectations are getting heavier and heavier, while we make only 11/ hr and because of budget cuts despite now having more duties we are making less money. I went from starting the company 2 years ago at 23-25 hours now 2 years later at 17-19. It sucks. SC's & PL's are the modern day slaves we do all the dirty work for little to nothing

As a PL I recieve feedback from both students and parents stating how shocked they are that we are doing lord than the teachers. It amazes me because while they get a very we'll pay we have to live off of 700 a month doing a teachers jobs. PL's deserve to be paid just as much as SC's considering the fact they are the ones working with the children doing the hardest part.

Great Learning Experience

Current Employee - Sub PL in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Sub PL in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at THINK Together part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I think working here you will get alot of experience with many different things. For example, working for THINK Together you get experience not only managing a class room but also how to manage time well.

Cons

You definitely need to be patient. This job is and can be difficult, especially for a sub. As a sub you have to build relationships in a very short amount of time, and alot of the time children take advantage that you are a sub.

Not what they seem!

Current Employee - Site Coordinator in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at THINK Together full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working with the kids, school staff and site staff, holiday pay, Christmas Special Holiday pay, getting experience.

Cons

Little to no praise from upper management, they change policies and procedures yearly (sometimes mid-year) and expect quick adaptation, pay is way too low for the amount of workload, upper management reprimands and expects change for improvement but does not give much support to assist with said change, you must be almost completely self sufficient in writing lessons, scheduling, and all other admin tasks, very little training is given to new hires especially the part time staff, no job advancement opportunities unless you are willing to work a ridiculous amount of hours, is difficult working here and having any kind of life outside of work (particularly if you're married and/or have kids.

Praise your staff at least once a week, stop trying to chane things so much (it confuses the students and parents).

Ridiculous

Current Employee - Lead Program Leader
    Current Employee - Lead Program Leader

I have been working at THINK Together part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The children obviously, mentoring youth and seeing them grow. Children looking up to you, coming to you for advice and being a positive role model for them.

Cons

You have to actually love students in order to put up with this company.
    I started as a volunteer and got hired part time two months later into a problem school (meaning low attendance to the program) I tried very hard to get students to come to class, collaborating with my Site Coordinator about school events and promote the program, no one else at that site tried as hard as I did. The year after that I applied for site coordinator training and I got accepted. When I asked one on one with the trainer about how I can personally improve to become a better employee she said she didn't understand why I was being trained to become a SC because I would never be one. According to her, my supervisor and I were too close (we were friends) and she didnt like my supervisor so that meant I wouldn't get the promotion. Shortly after that I was demoted by force to a substitute program leader and removed from the site that i really loved. I decided to look for another job and then I got a letter in the mail saying I was fired because I missed opportunities of being a substitute. I didn't know I could get fired, I wasnt trained as a susbstitute and I just lost my job of two years basically in the blink of an eye.

The company DOES MAKE YOU WORK OFF THE CLOCK AND BUY SUPPLIES FOR THE PROGRAM OUT OF POCKET. They can deny it all they want, the fact is that sometimes during events I would work 11 hours straight and it would get reduced to six hours and unpaid lunch break...which I never took.

The workload is tremendous and they don't offer proper training. New employees are thrown in and they literally either sink or swim. In my two years I saw many new employees leave.

Favoritism is a thing, and it sucks because people who are actually passionate and involved in education dont get the opportunities they deserve. Right before I left my supervisor told me that in this company you don't get promoted or appreciated unless you already know someone from high up.

Advice to this company is a waste, because they'll always deny any wrong doing and continue to be a crappy company.

They probably know who I am but I really don't care.

Stepping Stone

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at THINK Together full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Even as a business major I have found THINK Together to be a stepping stone for future jobs. The Site Coordinator position is great because you are learning management skills while still making a difference in the lives of the children in program.

Cons

Must have patience. Sometimes the students, parents, and staff can be difficult to handle. No day is the same.

People on the field think they don't have growth opportunities within THINK Together. We do building the bench trainings for Program Leaders that want to become Site Coordinators, and for Site Coordinators that want to become Quality Assurance Coaches, but it would be great to expand upon that. A lot of people that work on the field are not going to school to work with children. It would be great if they were able to talk to some of the employees from Home Office to find out what they do, and how they would be able to obtain a position like theirs.

Poor organization and thought processes going on at the top level.

I have been working at THINK Together full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The kids are great. I've landed a supportive site so my pros all relate to the school I'm located at and not Think Together.

Cons

For the second time this year, payday fell on a Sunday and I didn't get paid until Monday. Illegal. They pay a salary to work 9a-6p but the program ends at 6p which means kids aren't picked up until then. Often parents are late which bumps that time even further and by the time cleaning is done, it's often 7 before I'm off. They expect me to create a month long program on a very tiny budget of about $2 per child in my program. $2 power month! They are trapped in the last century when it comes to paperwork. I have to make so many trips to the hub to drop off forms that could easily be emailed.

Hire a better payroll department. Change working hours to accommodate late parents, cleaning, etc. (Especially since we're being switched to hourly now to "save money" even though legally you're going to spend more money because overtime is going to get very expensive. Increase the monthly budget if you want our programs to flourish. Stop holding pointless meetings that take up prep time when you can just as easily send an email.