THINK Together

Updated December 3, 2014
Updated December 3, 2014
2.7

Randy Barth

Pros
  • The organization is truly making a difference in the lives of the students in the communities they serve (in 9 reviews)

• Great learning experience while working with kids (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Think Together expects program leaders to lead as if they are experienced teachers but I'm not a teacher (in 23 reviews)

• Change program operations rules constantly without input from Site Coordinators (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Best1

I have been working at THINK Together

Pros

Great environment! You must enjoy working with kids to do this job.

Cons

Can be a bit overwhelming especially when staff is short.

Great Experience

Current Employee - Program Leader in Azusa, CA
    Current Employee - Program Leader in Azusa, CA

I have been working at THINK Together full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You gain experience if you really are thinking about becoming a teacher. Also most of your co workers are pretty young and outgoing.

Cons

Parents. Some parents can be very protective about their children and won't be fair.

Good Company

I have been working at THINK Together part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexibility, growth opportunities, staff, great learning experience

Cons

Low pay, a lot of work for pay, Lay off because region is closing

Treat all regions equally.

Very unprofessional and frustrating company. Would not recommend!

Current Employee - Program Leader in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Program Leader in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at THINK Together part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This job will give you some teaching experience. If you are a student, there is time to take classes in the morning.

Cons

I have been working for Think Together for a little less than a year and it is one of the worst jobs I've had. As a program leader, I only spend about 4 hours a day with students and it causes me so much stress it's unbelievable.

Think Together expects program leaders to lead as if they are experienced teachers but I'm not a teacher! If they want more experienced staff who do a better job, offer higher wages. The company gives basically NO TRAINING! And no, sitting in front of a power point is not effective. I got around an hour or two to observe an experienced program leader and then they just threw me into a classroom with 25 kids. A lot of the kids I've worked with have severe behavior problems as well and it's impossible to discipline them effectively when I need to manage the entire class at the same time. Many of the parents come late even though program ends at 6! Because a lot of the schools are in lower socioeconomic areas many students and parents just DON'T CARE about ANYTHING.

A lot of their policies are very unrealistic. They want you to use "homework signals." Well what happens when half the class can't do their homework? If I spend 2 minutes with each student do they expect the last one I get to to wait 20 minutes for my help? And no, working with a partner is not effective when none of them know what the heck is going on with their homework. Send us a volunteer or aid or give us a smaller group of students. Line of sight is also unrealistic and site coordinators will write you up for the smallest things if they want to get rid of you. Intuitively I knew exactly what was going on when I was placed at a site I wasn't an energetic fit for.

If you need extra help with your job they will push you out to become a substitute without any explanation. So basically you wait around all morning and waste your day in case you "might" be called, which can be as little as an hour before program begins. When this happened to me no one sat down with me and told me what was going on or why or how being a substitute works. Apparently they just expected me to know? I was completely out of the loop and wondered if I still had a job. I feel as though this is very poor communication on behalf of my supervisors.

One of my site coordinators was extremely unprofessional. I showed up for work one day and she told me a new program leader was coming to take my place THAT SAME DAY. I had no warning ahead of time from her or HR or a sub coordinator. I wish they had a replacement for me arranged before I arrived at work. My site coordinator began training her in front me of me and my class. I was humiliated when my students asked me why I was leaving in front of staff and other students and I didn't know what to say. That day I left frustrated and it tears. During a future training that same site coordinator was talking bad about other program leaders to another site coordinator which I found very disrespectful and rude.

I stayed with the company and got placed at another site and it's just as bad as all of the other ones I've been at. As a college graduate I am waiting for the opportunity for another job to show up so I can quit. There is a very high turnover rate because anyone who can see what is really going on would not put up with it. Students have told me numerous times about all of the other program leaders they have had who came and left and they "don't know why."

Let new program leaders spend a few days in a classroom with an experienced program leader so that they have a model and know what to expect.

Hire more employees so that the ratio of staff to student stays under 20:1.

For the amount of work required, consider giving program leaders a pay raise.

My THINK Together experience has been GREAT so far and I'm proud to be apart of the team!!

I have been working at THINK Together part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some of the best things working here is that you have an interaction with kids and you get to be apart and contribute to their journey through education.

Cons

Some of the cons of working here is that you don't get to spend alot of time helping the children.

Upper Management is GREAT, their always there you need them

Love working with the kids, but the company is terrible

I have been working at THINK Together part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The children. They are what keeps me with the program seeing hope and love in these little ones keeps me striving to finish my college education.

Cons

We don't make enough for all that is expected. Rules and expectations are getting heavier and heavier, while we make only 11/ hr and because of budget cuts despite now having more duties we are making less money. I went from starting the company 2 years ago at 23-25 hours now 2 years later at 17-19. It sucks. SC's & PL's are the modern day slaves we do all the dirty work for little to nothing

As a PL I recieve feedback from both students and parents stating how shocked they are that we are doing lord than the teachers. It amazes me because while they get a very we'll pay we have to live off of 700 a month doing a teachers jobs. PL's deserve to be paid just as much as SC's considering the fact they are the ones working with the children doing the hardest part.

Great Learning Experience

Current Employee - Sub PL in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Sub PL in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at THINK Together part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I think working here you will get alot of experience with many different things. For example, working for THINK Together you get experience not only managing a class room but also how to manage time well.

Cons

You definitely need to be patient. This job is and can be difficult, especially for a sub. As a sub you have to build relationships in a very short amount of time, and alot of the time children take advantage that you are a sub.

Not what they seem!

Current Employee - Site Coordinator in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at THINK Together full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working with the kids, school staff and site staff, holiday pay, Christmas Special Holiday pay, getting experience.

Cons

Little to no praise from upper management, they change policies and procedures yearly (sometimes mid-year) and expect quick adaptation, pay is way too low for the amount of workload, upper management reprimands and expects change for improvement but does not give much support to assist with said change, you must be almost completely self sufficient in writing lessons, scheduling, and all other admin tasks, very little training is given to new hires especially the part time staff, no job advancement opportunities unless you are willing to work a ridiculous amount of hours, is difficult working here and having any kind of life outside of work (particularly if you're married and/or have kids.

Praise your staff at least once a week, stop trying to chane things so much (it confuses the students and parents).

Ridiculous

Current Employee - Lead Program Leader
    Current Employee - Lead Program Leader

I have been working at THINK Together part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The children obviously, mentoring youth and seeing them grow. Children looking up to you, coming to you for advice and being a positive role model for them.

Cons

You have to actually love students in order to put up with this company.
    I started as a volunteer and got hired part time two months later into a problem school (meaning low attendance to the program) I tried very hard to get students to come to class, collaborating with my Site Coordinator about school events and promote the program, no one else at that site tried as hard as I did. The year after that I applied for site coordinator training and I got accepted. When I asked one on one with the trainer about how I can personally improve to become a better employee she said she didn't understand why I was being trained to become a SC because I would never be one. According to her, my supervisor and I were too close (we were friends) and she didnt like my supervisor so that meant I wouldn't get the promotion. Shortly after that I was demoted by force to a substitute program leader and removed from the site that i really loved. I decided to look for another job and then I got a letter in the mail saying I was fired because I missed opportunities of being a substitute. I didn't know I could get fired, I wasnt trained as a susbstitute and I just lost my job of two years basically in the blink of an eye.

The company DOES MAKE YOU WORK OFF THE CLOCK AND BUY SUPPLIES FOR THE PROGRAM OUT OF POCKET. They can deny it all they want, the fact is that sometimes during events I would work 11 hours straight and it would get reduced to six hours and unpaid lunch break...which I never took.

The workload is tremendous and they don't offer proper training. New employees are thrown in and they literally either sink or swim. In my two years I saw many new employees leave.

Favoritism is a thing, and it sucks because people who are actually passionate and involved in education dont get the opportunities they deserve. Right before I left my supervisor told me that in this company you don't get promoted or appreciated unless you already know someone from high up.

Advice to this company is a waste, because they'll always deny any wrong doing and continue to be a crappy company.

They probably know who I am but I really don't care.

Poor organization and thought processes going on at the top level.

Current Employee - Site Coordinator in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at THINK Together full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The kids are great. I've landed a supportive site so my pros all relate to the school I'm located at and not Think Together.

Cons

For the second time this year, payday fell on a Sunday and I didn't get paid until Monday. Illegal. They pay a salary to work 9a-6p but the program ends at 6p which means kids aren't picked up until then. Often parents are late which bumps that time even further and by the time cleaning is done, it's often 7 before I'm off. They expect me to create a month long program on a very tiny budget of about $2 per child in my program. $2 power month! They are trapped in the last century when it comes to paperwork. I have to make so many trips to the hub to drop off forms that could easily be emailed.

Hire a better payroll department. Change working hours to accommodate late parents, cleaning, etc. (Especially since we're being switched to hourly now to "save money" even though legally you're going to spend more money because overtime is going to get very expensive. Increase the monthly budget if you want our programs to flourish. Stop holding pointless meetings that take up prep time when you can just as easily send an email.