THINK Together

Updated December 3, 2014
Updated December 3, 2014
2.7

Randy Barth

Pros
  • The organization is truly making a difference in the lives of the students in the communities they serve (in 9 reviews)

• Great learning experience while working with kids (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Think Together expects program leaders to lead as if they are experienced teachers but I'm not a teacher (in 23 reviews)

• Change program operations rules constantly without input from Site Coordinators (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor organization and thought processes going on at the top level.

Current Employee - Site Coordinator in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Site Coordinator in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at THINK Together full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The kids are great. I've landed a supportive site so my pros all relate to the school I'm located at and not Think Together.

Cons

For the second time this year, payday fell on a Sunday and I didn't get paid until Monday. Illegal. They pay a salary to work 9a-6p but the program ends at 6p which means kids aren't picked up until then. Often parents are late which bumps that time even further and by the time cleaning is done, it's often 7 before I'm off. They expect me to create a month long program on a very tiny budget of about $2 per child in my program. $2 power month! They are trapped in the last century when it comes to paperwork. I have to make so many trips to the hub to drop off forms that could easily be emailed.

Hire a better payroll department. Change working hours to accommodate late parents, cleaning, etc. (Especially since we're being switched to hourly now to "save money" even though legally you're going to spend more money because overtime is going to get very expensive. Increase the monthly budget if you want our programs to flourish. Stop holding pointless meetings that take up prep time when you can just as easily send an email.

Great place to work

I have been working at THINK Together

Pros

it has a great work environment and a lot of opportunity to learn

Cons

sometimes the kids get a little crazy but they are overall fun

you are doing great

Good Experience

I worked at THINK Together

Pros

I've polished my leadership skill

Cons

Not enough hours for part time employees

Employees Expected To Use Own Money

Current Employee - Site Coordinator
    Current Employee - Site Coordinator

I have been working at THINK Together full-time

Pros

One thing I really love about THINK Together is the amount of money spent on team/regional meetings. I love that no expense is spared when it comes to partying!

Cons

Question: It's great that THINK Together offers sports for the kids How do the team jerseys/uniforms stay clean?

Answer: THINK Together asks Site Coordinators to take laundry home and bring it back clean. If a site coordinator does not have access to free laundry from mom or dad, they can go to a laundry mat and pay to have it washed.

Question: That seems unfair to ask your employees to pay for laundry services. Are there any alternatives?

Answer: Yes, Site Coordinators can ask their Program Leaders to take the laundry home and bring it back for them.

Management is very instant that Program Leaders shouldn't pay for anything with their own money. But solutions are few and far between when it comes to site coordinator paying for things.

THINK Together Response

Jun 23, 2014HR Coordinator

Thank you for your review. THINK Together does not encourage any employee to use their own personal resources for program needs or materials. We urge you to discuss this concern with your Regional ... More

Need to work off the clock

I worked at THINK Together (more than an year)

Pros

Working with kids is amazing. They are so talented and unique in their own way, it's hard not to care for them as if they were family. Fun to plan events for the kids. Sometimes it didn't feel like work. Got to attend school shows/ dances for free.

Cons

Little work hours. Not given enough time to plan lessons, write out lesson plans . Had to do it on my own time to have successful programs. Small budget for program. I had to spend from my own money a lot of times ! Little to No support from coordinators. Lots of gossip between staff. Drama with school staff . High expectations with little direction, little training, little budget, and minimal hours.

Listen to your staff. Don't take complaints personal . And don't be so tight with the budget at the end it's always "we have to spend it" why wait until the end?

Your experience varies depending on the school that you are assigned to

Former Employee - After School Program Leader in Tustin, CA
    Former Employee - After School Program Leader in Tustin, CA

I worked at THINK Together part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great learning experience while working with kids.
    You gain some knowledge about classroom management and doing lessons.
    I had a GREAT site coordinator and she really made all the difference for me, my coworkers, and the students.
    My coworkers were such great people who really cared about our students.

Cons

Lack of training. They have you come in for training but it's just them teaching you how to fill out the attendance sheets and not how to work with the students or classroom management. They basically throw you into a school and hope that you land on your feet and start running.
    Your experience depends on where you are placed. If you are placed at a good school with a great site coordinator, you will have wonderful students and parents. If not, it will be very hard to come to work because things can be very disorganized and disheartening.
    High turnover rate with staff.
    Towards the end of the year, my school had to start condensing classes near the end of the day which meant combining smaller classes and forcing program leaders to leave earlier. This meant that you were working and being paid less and less every week. This was not only burdensome to the program leaders but especially to the kids because it interrupted their time with their leaders and they were forced to be uprooted and moved to a different class.

Extremely stressful!

Current Employee - Program Leader in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Program Leader in Riverside, CA

I have been working at THINK Together part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some kids are extremely life changing! Some kids care about you and they see to it that they put a smile on your face!

Cons

The parents. This is a free program yet parents are still ungrateful and will make your life a living hell! I go home thinking about how stressful work is everyday. I may need counseling. Also, don't even think about moving up in the company unless you know someone who knows someone. This company is very "clique-y". I hear the hub (rc region) is like a highschool hallway. Beware of it! Lots of yucky gossip.

Please start drug testing for the love of God! You'd be surprised what you find.

Great Learning Experience

Former Employee - Program Leader in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Program Leader in Riverside, CA

I worked at THINK Together part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Honestly, if you do not have an interest or passion looking after, supervising, and teaching children and are just trying to make a quick buck on the side, this job is not for you. If you are however, the pay is worth it and the experience is amazing!

Cons

Occasionally it is difficult to get any time off since you are working in an education setting and work is mostly every day. It can become stressful at times.

Not enough pay unless your a college student

Current Employee - Program Leader in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Program Leader in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at THINK Together part-time (less than an year)

Pros

you have to love kids to do this... it is fun does not seem like work at times.

Cons

they cut your hours each week like it comes out of their pockets.

Great Philosophy, More Training Necessary

Former Employee - Substitute Program Leader in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Substitute Program Leader in Riverside, CA

I worked at THINK Together part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Helping out students in an afterschool environment without cost. Improving their academic ability. Great philosophy of program.

Cons

Strict policies may have been put in place for fear of lawsuit (perhaps a previous lawsuit?) Such as: no playing with students, no walking backwards, etc. Maybe this actually happened and the company lost a lot of money because of it.

Additional training for new employees.