THQ

THQ Reviews

Updated Apr 4, 2014

THQ Chairman & CEO Brian J. Farrell

Brian J. Farrell

Pros
  • Great people at the San Diego studio - lots of smart and talented teammates (in 7 reviews)

• Good products, good people at the working level (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management was a Little disconnected (in 7 reviews)

• Work very long hours and no work flexibility (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Middle of the road video game publisher.

Game Programmer (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsWorking at THQ gives you the ability to work in the video game industry, which is quite appealing these days. Additionally, they are working on every single platform, so the idea of having the ability to work on the platform you're interested in is good for THQ. My experience is only in the Carlsbad studios so it is not a reflection of the entire company, but instead, just a few studios.

ConsTHQ's value proposition appears to be to provide games at a good value to consumers. They don't have breakthrough products in the console or handheld or mobile space. This is reflected in their pay scale, which is generally to purchase value employees rather than superstars.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people who are strong at their positions and know what their responsibilities include. It seems that they want volume and value more than quality.

Strong potentials

Character Artist, Concept Artist (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsStrong potentials in its new direction and some very capable employees

ConsMismanagement, lack of studio structure, bad studio culture

Advice to Senior ManagementUnqualified staff should not be in their positions

They are no more

QA Tester (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsGreat benefits, cool environment and awesome co workers

Conspromotions were a little messed up. Management failed to see the big picture

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good

Concept Artist (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsLots of great people here.

ConsEverything is running fairly smoothly

Very professional studio.

3D Animator (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsProfessional, Teamwork, Learning Experience, Personal Growth

ConsHuman Resources department could use some more communication to the employees

Advice to Senior ManagementNo particular advice.

peaks and valleys

Concept Artist (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

Prosamazing people at the studio level

Consrocky security at times due to market fluctuations

Advice to Senior Managementtrust in the professionals

Short, but sweet time in QA at THQ.

QA Tester (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsGreat atmosphere, Soda fountain, Nice people, People willing to take time out of their schedule to have meetings with you about job careers.

ConsWhen on tough times the company tends to cut down on a lot of employees not excluding QA.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on productivity and providing QA with a means to integrate better with the Dev employees.

Old timer that is nice but naive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Professional talent
    - Good opportunity to work on many different IP's (both in-house IP's and licensed)
    - Multi-cultural teams
    - Occasionally take brave risks (de Blob, Deadly Creatures, uDraw tablet, Saints Row 3)

Cons- Management means well but slow to react to industry trends (totally missed social/mobile revolution)
    - Failed to build a platform around themselves and their games
    - Branding was inconsistent for many years
    - Left kid game/middle ground market too late

Advice to Senior ManagementHope that Jason Rubin can turn the ship around and that their big Canada studio investment will pay off. Be merciless to trim the fat, shed all studios that doesn't deliver the goods and come out on the other side as a much leaner and meaner THQ. Come out with a stronger branding, a clearer message, build a console/PC/mobile/tablet platform around the company

Great People, Poor Leadership

Senior Accountant (Current Employee)

ProsThe people are great and the work/life balance is great. Jason Rubin has a great vision for the company, it will just take a while for his ideas to go through the regular game development cycle.

ConsSenior Management is horrible. Many changes have been made, but the largest problems in management have not yet been addressed.

A frustrating experience

No Comment (Former Employee) Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

ProsSome very talented people working on the shop floor and middle management types also fall under that hat, the real problems came when the guys at the top end of the scale could never agree to 'anything' !! which made sure that we never progressed.
    And now they've fallen fast behind and will fall flat sadly before long. That's the problem in a nut shell

ConsAs I said above,many great people there that I've worked with mid management and on the shop floor. Managed to get a couple of great selling titles out but there could of been so many more.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow the creative talent of those below you to actually act and do what they are good at. Stop thinking that you know the score when you DON'T!

Worked for THQ? Contribute to the Community!