TIAA-CREF Reviews

507 reviews filtered by

Nice

Former Employee - Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at TIAA-CREF full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very smart people to learn from everyday. Work life balance. Ability to work from home.

Cons

Office Politics, poor compensation, management/directors are terrible. Lack of team work...everyone has their on agenda

2. My Experience

Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at TIAA-CREF as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Good Experience to Work HEre

Cons

Needed Some Change in Work

3. Summer Internship

I worked at TIAA-CREF

Pros

The individuals I worked with were extremely intelligent and down to earth. The senior management was easy to talk to and was willing to speak to anyone and everyone.

Cons

HR department is the worst I have ever had to deal with. The department pointed me in the complete opposite direction and was very unprofessional

Wealth Management Advisor

Former Employee - Wealth Management Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Wealth Management Advisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at TIAA-CREF

Pros

Excellent mutual funds,.real estate and guaranteed account

Cons

Incompetent and hostile management in I AS. Racist AND Sexist. Don't walk...Run... Average tenure of WMA=2 years here. Goals increase exponentially every year. Clerks run the show. High turnover. If you care about clients and REAL wealth management this is not the place.

Advice to Management

Upper management-please look at what your regionals are doing! Their behavior is not in line with company values.Why turn a blind eye?

In many ways, a utopia away from the wirehouse & big bank/brokerage worlds

Current Employee - Wealth Management
    Current Employee - Wealth Management

I have been working at TIAA-CREF full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very collaborative, team atmosphere. The people, culture, mission, clients & benefits make this a great place. Very unique in this regard. 10 years in the business and feel that I can finally solve problems with clients who are fantastic to work with as intelligent, engaging and inquisitive investors who are more reasonable in their expectations, more savvy in investment acumen, and more willing to go through the planning process than I have experienced anywhere. A very captive audience of educated doctors, professors and professionals in non-profit, academia, healthcare, research and more makes the job all that much more fulfilling every day. I find the interests of the firm are never at odds with the interests of our clients, and this is a very special place for this reason. I enjoy the challenge of bringing your A-game, for those of us who have been in the business for several years, you will appreciate advising ivy league Econ professor types. Not for the inexperienced, entry level, or fake it to you make it cheap salesmen. Our clients are gonna see right through ya. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Cons

The systems, tools and processes are THE WORST. Unfortunately, the worst part of the job is when someone else does not do theirs. There are many excellent reasons to come to TIAA-CREF, the back office & platform is NOT ONE OF THEM. A rapidly growing broker dealer that is experiencing growing pains, but rapidly making positive changes. If you come here from a big 4 wirehouse, you will go through culture shock. I see many who have a difficult time with the concept of becoming an employee and no longer having everyone pandering to their needs and "practice". You have great partner resources, but no sales assistants or internal business teams bending over backward to earn your business. All employees here, nobody works on commission, and those of us who stick it out and find it a fit rather like this. You will likely miss the platforms you took for granted. You will be doing a lot of data entry, processing and operational duties yourself. If you are a rainmaker and owning your own book is important to you, you probably will not be looking at a WMA position here to begin with. You have too many clients, this can be a good thing in many ways, but a con trying to manage. Many tier 1 WMA's who bring in $50MM a year wish they were doing so somewhere where they saw the real money, which means you eventually work into the quandary of not making the high payouts and trails over time you could elsewhere, but in all likelihood would never have been in the position networking & dialing on your own. Not exactly the place to make it rich, but is the place to lead with real planning & have more than enough people to get in front of, a generous income, retirement benefits, and feel good about the work you do. In other words, I never miss the Wells Fargo Advisors or Merrill Lynch culture, but do find myself homesick for the technology & efficiency, but to each their own. The good out-ways the bad for me day to day.

Advice to Management

My colleagues all agree, the biggest barrier is not getting in front of people, but doing business with the firm. TC could go from good to great with some investments to IAS efficiency. Growing quickly, but need to reinforce the infrastructure before the headcount at this juncture. Service issues, NIGO paperwork, CAG delays and working on 7 different systems is a massive productivity drain. We have faith in you Roger, Kathy, Chris! Let's make it happen. The firms has built a great reputation and culture for the right reasons, striving to become more like our competitor peers would be a mistake. Preserve the culture! Keep hiring the best- TC is not a good place for entry level, our clients see through inexperience and sales cronies. They deserve the best experienced personnel. We are poised to win more business and grow if we keep the wheels on and be the best we can be.

TIAA-CREF is a great company to work for.

I have been working at TIAA-CREF full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great vacation time. Great 401k matching. Overall great company.

Cons

Please be sure to choose a position or an area of the company where you will be able to grow and thrive in your role.

Advice to Management

Please use the feedback of those working under you.

Horrible work environment!!!

I worked at TIAA-CREF

Pros

Compensation and benefits are great but the mental abuse they put you through is not worth it.

Cons

Management who thinks development involves micromanagement, intimidation and constantly informing you that your job can be taken away daily. Performance doesn't mean anything (when I left I was at 100% of my sales goals) and they are only looking for "yes" men and women who will agree with the directors point of view at all times. So much time was spent on having strategy calls on how to address your next strategy call. Focus is more on the paperwork than actually helping the clients. Wealth Management Advisor turnover is rampant

Advice to Management

You preach development of your people so why don't you actually develop them? Oh yes, too many old school directors in place that have never been in the sales force now directing the sales force.

TIAA-CREF Company Review

I have been working at TIAA-CREF

Pros

Super nice people, very helpful.

Cons

Little contract because they all work remote. Only occasional team meetings. Deadline are sometimes set at very unreasonable times. Old fashion ways of thinking.

Good Money but no Direction

Former Employee - Project Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at TIAA-CREF full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay is good. The benefits are great!. Many location to work from and they like people working from home. If you are a go getter - you will be noticied.

Cons

Many System problems, not a team environment. Many people are in the wrong position as thus operate in a silo with no new ideas coming in to create improvement.

Advice to Management

Your top performs get burnt out because no one else knows how to step up to help.

11. Great benefits and corporate mission, but long hours and lots of travel.

I worked at TIAA-CREF (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company benefits are not what they once were but still better than almost anywhere.

Cons

Corporate metrics, inconsistent management and cumbersome corp structures make it a very frustrating company to work for.

TIAA-CREF Photos